Yo, I'm desperate for cash so I just started a job at a pho place as a waiter...

Yo, I'm desperate for cash so I just started a job at a pho place as a waiter. The owner pays the servers $30 per day regardless of hours worked, and they get their tips at the end of the day. So for instance, I worked a 3 hour day, got $30, and made $10 in tips for a total of $40. Tomorrow I work a 7 hour day, and will make $30 + whatever tips I make in that period. Is this legal in MN? Am I being gypped? I also get free food every day (big ass bowl of $11 loaded pho) PLS advise.

righteous self bump

bump for labor laws

>working and doesn't understand basic minimum wage laws
Ask mom for an extra serving of tendies in the future.

I live on my own and pay $295 a month to rent my apartment. Thanks for the helpful info.

And you still dont understand minimum wage?

I'm 18 and I just started working as a busser and I get paid $6.50ish an hour and get some of the waitresses tips. Also, I don't get any tips.
Is this legal?

Why don't you start with something that contributes towards the question?

If you can't figure this out on your own then you are making more than enough money. Would love to visit the lovely apartment you rent for $295 a month.

Fine. What country, state, city do you work in because there is no way to answer without that info as labor laws can be different based on where you work..

I already mentioned MN

Buy a gun and kill yourself

In the US, an employee's effective wage must equal or exceed the minimum wage times the hours worked during the pay period, for every pay period. Effective wage = pay from employer + pay from tips.

When you do (pay from employer + pay from tips) / hours in pay period, is the number equal or greater than the minimum wage? If so, it is legal.

Side note - server/waiter jobs are nice because they often make much more than minimum wage. If you can't make 7.25/hr as a waiter you might not be suited for it.

You work in burnsville

yes its legal. he only has to pay you 2.17 an hour, if you get to keep your tips.

no, it's not legal.

no, the owner wont pay you more if you report it to a labor union. he'll find a reason to fire you and hire another chinkboy that will work for $30+tips

don't like it? get marketable skills and join the functioning members of society that aren't living off minimum wage

this.

Minimum wage for tipped employees is higher than that and at the end of the pay period you have to average $7.25 or higher depending on minimum wage or the employer has to make up for that so you average minimum.

What this guy said. Also i am guessing OP didn't fill out a W4 so if he complains the owner has no records the guy works there. If OP is paid in cash he is being fucked and should enjoy it because of his own willful ignorance.

I stand corrected tip wage is that low.

The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips.

Lolfreedom

actually according to wiki, the minimum in minnesota is 9$ for both tipped and nontipped

op is either an illegal alien or a convicted felon.

fucking moron