youtube.com/watch?v=q4cdvcKH_ng
vimeo.com/146974882
tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=p7tDQWGzEtc
youtube.com/watch?v=UX4_LKFHIaY
youtube.com/watch?v=_i3Ax4YJySg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Where now the horse and the rider?

Just finished watching the appendices, worth a watch for sure. Can't believe I hadn't seen it before

Does anyone have any experience browsing reddit? I mean all the subreddits. what kind of people lay there? what is culture like?

Never seen - what stood out for you?

>Theoden's final charge at Helm's Deep
>Gandalf/Eomer driving into the uruk's flank
>Faramir's doomed assault on Osgiliath while Pippin sings
>Gandalf riding out alone to drive off the Nazgul as the soldiers flee for Minas Tirith
>"Gondor calls for aid!" "...and Rohan will answer."
>last charge of the Rohirrim at Minas Tirith
>turning, reforming the line, and meeting the mumakil head-on
>"There may come a day when the courage of men fails. When we forsake our oaths and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is NOT. THIS. DAY."
>Aragorn's lone charge at the Black Gate

The most epic moments I've ever seen on film, using "epic" in the most literal sense.

OLD

WHITE

How they screwed up the hobbit so much is beyond me

MAN

Greed makes people stupid.

It wasn't his fault. After Del Toro left and he came onto the project, he basically had 6 months of pre-production compared to 3 years for the LOTR trilogy

Everyone in this thread should watch this.
youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

Jackson had no desire to make the movies, but I think he stepped in when Del Toro left because he knew anyone else would completely destroy it. As such, we got a half-decent first film, a mostly forgettable second, and an absolute abortion for the third. I believe Jackson wanted to make it a two parter, but of course the studio wanted a trilogy.

Watched it - wasn't blaming the fat kiwi turd, was blaming the studio. But, at the end of the day, he took on the responsibility and he fumbled it by churning out garbage instead of standing up to the execs.
Plus weta was just resting on their laurels - King Kong showed them already losing creative steam.

To be honest, I'm glad he did what he did. There are 10/10 fan edits out there because he shot so much. If you trim the extended editions down, you can certainly get a great 4 hour hobbit film out of it.

Also in case you never saw BotFA extended, here's the funeral scene
youtube.com/watch?v=q4cdvcKH_ng

Also here's an edited version with Gandalf's eulogy
vimeo.com/146974882

is is just me or did they fuck up the filter even worse than in theatrical release?

how do these gates move???

I'm so glad they didn't go with the ending where Aragorn fights Morgoth/Sauron.

The studios wanted a "final battle" for Aragorn and Peter fought them on it.

They're not gates.

>10/10 fan edits
Care to recommend one?

>The studios wanted a "final battle" for Aragorn and Peter fought them on it.

I don't think that was the studio. But Jackson did end up realizing what a stupid idea it was and that it turned Aragorn's suicidal sacrifice to buy Frodo some time into a 1v1 fight with the final boss.

Noomi is such a cutie in this movie

>But it is NOT. THIS. DAY."

That's not how he said it

I agree, though I heard they discussed having him fight the Mouth of Sauron instead of the troll, which would have been so fucking great. The Mouth's scene is awesome and all, but he's such a wicked character, I wanted to see more of him.

I'd love to see a good edit. I watched all three in theatres, but I was quite disappointed and didn't bother buying the extended versions.

Anyone else still have this?

I don't even like the Hobbit movies that much, but I'd love to buy a blu ray set of all six Hobbit/LotR extended editions, if the packaging was like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=EXGUNvIFTQw

0:42. "...but it is NOT. THIS. DAY. This day we fight!"

The troll was easier since they just had replace Sauron in the footage they shot of Aragorn fighting him with a cgi troll. I don't think the mouth is really meant to be a fighter.

I do own the LotR ones, best hundred bucks I've ever spent.

The packaging for the Hobbit ones are nearly the same, though I've only seen them in stores.

Holy shit you can see how much stress Jackson is under. Looks completely burned out.

There will never be another fantasy epic as great as LOTR ever.

Any future script will have been poisoned by political correctness. They will never be able to pull together a cast that is as dedicated to the material as this one.

>there are people ITT that think ROTK is better than The Fellowship

May Eru help them!

Quick google search brought up this. 4 hour version.

tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/

Anyone give this a watch?

I'm currently reading the books (halfway through two towers) and look forward to rewatching the films, which I have not seen in years.

Fellowship is one of the comfiest movies ever made. It's easily the best of the three. The entire Mines of Moria sequence is one of the greatest ever filmed, in my opinion. Fuck man, that movie's got it all.

It was the perfect storm, user. A top to bottom unreal cast, flawless book to screenplay adaptation, costume and set designers that obviously knew and cherished the source material, shooting the closest thing to "on location in middle-earth" as possible, and of course, a director insane and ambitious enough to pull it all together.

The perfect storm - and we got to watch it play out on the big screen. This must be how greybeards feel about getting to watch the original Star Wars trilogy as kids.

I'm going to post a few LOTR images

No idea what edits are worth my time. All I know is that I watched the extended and I easily saw potential in something amazing.

Lads what does elf cunny taste like

I was just thinking I wanted to watch the Fellowship again, but I probably wouldn't even watch the other two.

Last time I tried to watch all three I ended up watching TF and TTT but before I could finish the trilogy for the hundredth time I watched something else in my backlog and never got around to ROTK

OH, kid - sounds like you may be right. If you feel for lotr as we feel for star wars, then you are indeed blessed.

(Felt - disney done killed it.)

I reread The Hobbit twice and listened to the top tier audiobook when the movie was announced.

So... much... disappointment...

A reminder that Tolkien was BTFO by based fatman

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

>implying George Lucas didn't kill it himself and Disney revived the franchise

Am I speaking to someone from some twisted parallel reality?

Tolkien wasn't about any of that shit though. He just wanted to make his own ancient mythology. This is like asking what Beowulfs tax policy was. It doesnt matter, thats not the point.

The sweetest rosewater

lmao george martin is nothing but a fat pervert who writes erotic beach-reads

>tfw reading the books
>lose interest around the end of two towers
The fellowship was very comfy. I prefer the parts where they're in hobbit territory.

>what was Aragorn's tax policy

How the fuck did this man get a book published?

GRRM please go

Aragorn wasn't just morally good, he was wise but also savvy, powerful, and had the authority required to rule. These kinds of rulers do pop up from time to time, even in real life see: Charlemagne. Tolkien never implies that Aragorn's rule is without bumps along the way.

Best race? Best race.

I really liked Force Awakens, but I think part of it is because I had the prequels coming out while I grew up. FA tried a little too hard to be A New Hope, but I think episode 8 will take things in a fresh direction.

Lord of the Rings was more than just the movies to me, though. My dad got me into the books as a kid, and we went to see all three movies together multiple times, so it's a mix of good movies and good memories.

lotr loremaster here

ask me anything

You're too pure for this board senpai.

Who would win an armwrestling match, Fingolfin or Aragorn? Feanor or Beren?

>you'll never drink ent draught

Keep pushing, man. End of Two Towers is where the books start reading like a sweeping historical account of magnificent battles between massive armies.

I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire for the first time right now, but I'm definitely going to burn through The Hobbit/LotR afterwards.

Fingfolin went max dex so Aragorn would win. Feanor would design and build a magic arm wrestling table that always lets him win.

what is tom bombadil iyo

>image for hobbits

A reminder that A Song of Ice and Fire is so shit that even Martin's bored with it.

This is dumb. If the main motivation in your plot choices is realism then you're a certified hack.

I got to go to the Hobbiton movie set a bit back when I was backpacking in New Zealand. It was pretty fucking amazing to see the level of detail put into each of the Hobbit holes' exteriors. Was kinda sad to find out that none of them had fully built interiors, and that the interior scenes were shot at a different movie set.

Got to have a free pint at the Green Dragon. Took the mug home too. I'd definitely recommend going if you have the time and money.

Why did they leave out the scouring of the shire Sup Forums????

The movie's utility as war propaganda would have suffered from complicated implications of corruption in the common people's democratic system.

PJ hates The Hobbit(s) as evident by The Hobbit.

Because as a Silmarillionfag, the scouring of the shire was only to paint the picture that nothing goes untouched in a great war (you know, since he was involved in World War 1 and all).

Scouring of the Shire was a shit fucking ending

Thought it was about the corruption of parochial communities.

Tolkien hated allegory and denounced anyone that tried to apply it to his work.

I do not like the extended versions.

>Implying the movies are not meant to be allegorical

Not saying the books were btw,

......for frodo

What was the dankest pipe weed in Arda?

Good thing Death of the Author has been in effect since 1967.

Because adding an extra half hour after the plot is resolved would just tire the audience.

All of Theoden's speeches are ragnarok as fuck.

>NOW FOR WRATH
>NOW FOR RUIN

>FELL DEEDS AWAKE

>SPEARS SHALL BE SHAKEN

>SHIELDS SHALL BE SPLINTERED

>A SWORD DAY

>A RED DAY

>ERE THE SUN RIIIISSES

Those are the typical scenes everybody likes, get some taste

There are much better scenes with more emotional weight

>Sam's Osgiliath monologue
>the beacon lighting scene with the soaring orchestra strings
>the ending of TTT with the pan up to Mordor with the ominous music
>Boromir's death

Yep, but I only have the first two movies cause I misplaced the RotK box

nothing of value was lost

Gandalf and the Balrog went up the endless stairs to the very peak of a mountain.

No wonder they both died.

Old Toby.... finest weed in the South Farthing.

I'm just saying Tolkien didn't write them with any allegory or political subtext in mind.

You don't think anti-industrialism is a political stance?

kys

I'd say Tolkien was anti-industrialist but it doesn't really apply to his books. He was more nostalgic for older times more than anything. I'm pretty sure anyone that was in WW1 came out at least somewhat anti-industrialist.

Another great part of this trilogy in my opinion is the love story between Aragorn and Arwen.

Their romance is so tragic in a lot of ways and their scenes together are so beautiful:

Some of the best examples of the soundtrack too

One word
>bluepilled

youtube.com/watch?v=UX4_LKFHIaY

fucking race-mixing fucking shit
age of men more like dawn of mulattoes am i rite?

>I'd say Tolkien was anti-industrialist but it doesn't really apply to his books. He was more nostalgic for older times more than anything. I'm pretty sure anyone that was in WW1 came out at least somewhat anti-industrialist.
Did you even watch Two Towers?

Il ladmit I never read the book, but the scenes of Sauromon and he Orc/Oruki building their army REAKES of anti-industrialism.

Dude relax, Arwen is Aragorn aunt.

His second cousin, twice removed on his mother's side.

This retard has the gall to speak after Daenerys's taking control of the cockless army and shouting out incredibly precise instructions in the middle of slaver city. Or a dwarf killing people with an axe from horseback. Etc etc.

>did he maintain a standing army?
>yes

that is a beautiful word sir and it has brought me much happiness

there's your realism

>mfw OD on melkoramphetamine

A far green country under a swift sunrise

This is the saddest scene in the whole movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=_i3Ax4YJySg