Do most Sup Forumstants considered spotify to be a good investment...

Do most Sup Forumstants considered spotify to be a good investment? I'm tempted but I'm concerned that a lot of artist don't put their shit on there.

Other urls found in this thread:

play.spotify.com/radio/artist/053q0ukIDRgzwTr4vNSwab
techdirt.com/articles/20150204/07310329906/yes-major-record-labels-are-keeping-nearly-all-money-they-get-spotify-rather-than-giving-it-to-artists.shtml
androidpit.com/how-to-install-flash-player-on-android
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I use it out of laziness. You won't find everything but then just use the Sup Forums archive

I chip in for a family subscription with my mates. It's cheap and i get ad-free 320kbps streaming.

Yes. This is the only correct way.

This. Also for students it is only 5 bux a month.

It has so many obscure bands with complete discographies. The sound quality when set to the highest level is excellent.

I must admit that the concept of legally paying for music has a refreshing moral appeal. However

1) Spotify has to justify enough appeal to go public in 2017 (i.e. sell stock)
2) artists like Taylor Swift and Jay-Z have pulled their records from the platofrm

I LOVE the platform. I am currently on the 30 day trial period.

I'd say it could be a bit cheaper (Netflix is slightly cheaper) but yeah, it's pretty good. I'm so used to just being able to pull up albums and listen to them instantly at decent quality.

Sure there are some artists that you won't find, but you'd have to have some pretty obscure listening habits for that to be a major problem.

>artists like Taylor Swift and Jay-Z have pulled their records from the platofrm

I don't see a problem here.

All artists hate it because they don't pay them jack shit

>but you'd have to have some pretty obscure listening habits for that to be a major problem.
Doesn't have to be obscure. There are a few major artists (or their labels) that withhold there discographies (Joanna Newsom and King Crimson in particular).

Sure, I know there are a few big artists that aren't on there (Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Prince) but I'm saying for it to be a MAJOR problem, you'd need to listen to a lot more obscure stuff.

If you were a huge fan of an artist that wasn't on Spotify you'd presumably own/have their discography anyway.

i'm really happy with it, i have like 4-5000 songs on different playlists with everything from mainstream hip-hop and other stuff to experimental stuff, as well as a lot of different electronic music. sure, there's some stuff you can't find, but even among the lesser known artists i think there's a lot of it available.

i just wish it had King Crimson

I'm surprised by a lot of the obscure artists they do have. It's more then i'd expect.

I don't see a good reason to pay for it. AdBlock for ads and have a cracked Android app also with AdBlock.

Not really, i'd rather spend the $10 on one cd a month

I use it, and some of the stuff about 'muh payments' is pretty stupid because dead bands like slint aren't expecting money from their music career anymore anyways

wut they just re-released spiderland last year as I recall

Google play music gives the artists a lot more money per play of their song, something to consider

They are though. Just because a band is broken up doesn't mean they don't make any money off record sales.

Why is he at YouTube?

"Because it's a total piece of shit?"

EXACTLY!

I use Apple Music because it has more albums that I want to listen to available than Spotify does, and some newly released albums are AM exclusive for a little while.

I boycott Apple Music because they are trying to turn music into to premiership football

wait, you mean ppl spend money rather than just using the web player that has no ads?

it's fucking great imho

I use the free version to check out new artists I might be interested, the ads halfway through an album are annoying but you can still decide whether on not you like them. If I like them I buy the physical album.

speaking of which why aren't there spotify playlist threads, i'd love to know the best playlists for mu-core, krautrock, post-rock, shugazi, bleep, etc etc

I'm a student so yes
If not honestly not sure if I'd keep it

this. i would like to see those threads as well

this is all you need user

play.spotify.com/radio/artist/053q0ukIDRgzwTr4vNSwab

this is a good idea

I don't understand how you could think a Spotify subscription could be an investment.

I mean, you aren't getting any dividends from the service. What's the interest rate of an account anyway?

more specifically , why is there still no real way to sort the playlists on there

like being able to sort by how frequently tracks are added

also seeing the total tracks (annoying as fuck when they recycle just 10 or so tracks rather than having a longer list)

also the built-in radio feature pretty much is better than any of that cause you're not having to bother, its all queued up and random and you simply skip or move on or click what ever artist plays and invest more

The dividends are what you value easy access to a ton of music you autistic ass faggot

That's not how the economy works, kid

What you said isn't economics it's accounting bitch nigga

>paying for music

I'm a student so it's only $5, if I was paying full price I probably wouldn't subscribe

No its a p&l expense, sorry

This a huge myth, seriously look into it, there are tons of articles on the Web showing how little artists are getting paid from their music being streamed on spotify, but if you dig deeper the record labels and copyright holders are getting payed reasonably by spotify but not paying their artists with that money fairly.

techdirt.com/articles/20150204/07310329906/yes-major-record-labels-are-keeping-nearly-all-money-they-get-spotify-rather-than-giving-it-to-artists.shtml

Nope.

Should've gone to school, black child

yes because 99% of the shit on there are from artists who's records stopped being sold and are either touring and keeping 100% profit...or they own their music and they put it on there

the idea of a record label being relevant in any smart artists life is old now

guys like Dr Dre and Metallica own their full catalogs now anyways and both of them were the top artists against Napster

all their shit is on spotify

Yeah I read about that. Streaming is rubbish.

Like, this whole Internet thing has been really not as good as it could have been. In retrospect.
Don't you think?

>this whole Internet thing has been really not as good as it could have been

That's what happened when normies started using the Internet. It fell apart

I was there when the 2 pack and kurdish cobain mortuary pics were first uploaded

Do you remember alt.pantyhose? *sigh* that was great I really enjoyed that

What? Streaming is great, the record labels are the problem. Streaming = free distribution. Free distribution means that labels should literally be unnecessary, but they have so much power they keep rigging the damn game. Spotify has contracts with labels where 75% of the royalties or more go the label and only 10% goes to the actual artists, but spotify needed to make these deals because they literally couldn't of become a success without the music the big labels own, because that's the music shoved down our throats so much that it's all that 90% of people listen to.

>Listen to something embarrassing one time
>It ends up in recently played artists forever

They know exactly what they are doing. Nobody ever looks at my profile anyway but its infuriating.

> i'd rather spend the $10 on one cd a month

This is the position I take on it and having done it since I was 17 I've built quite an impressive collection. There is also a tangible investment being made too given many albums will end up collectors items.

I still use spotify free with adblock for white noise but its an issue of convenience.

i like google play music. i only really like it more because it comes with youtube red so i can find music on youtube if it isnt on google play and i can turn off my screen.

that and you can also request music but im not sure how quickly they even get the music or if they even make an attempt.

>many albums will end up collectors items.
I wouldnt hold your breath

name 5 from the last 5 years

Still, an artist getting 10% of 5 cents per spotify play isn't as good as 10% of a $15 CD.

Yes I love Spotify and think it is worth the monthly fee. I use Spotify as my main media player, and if it doesn't have an album I want I just download it and play it in MusicBee/foobar.

Trout Mask Replica isn't on there, which is the only album that matters

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU GUYS BUYING/PAYING FOR?

the fucking web player (which can be opened on any phone or desktop) is free and no adds and the same catalog

only minor difference is no dynamic leveling and cross fade

but unless you're listening on non-noise canceling headphones/buds that doesnt matter

>Like, this whole Internet thing has been really not as good as it could have been. In retrospect.
>Don't you think?

Literally every sci-fi film and tv show from 1989-2005 where the internet is a crucial plot point agrees with you. I was promised a cyberpunk-dystopia on the verge of technological singularity but all I got was the dystopia part.

phone

spotify is honestly one of the few reasons i live, seriously the discover, the related artists, even tells you what concerts are near you, its the most popular player which is a good thing

Yes but what function did the record label provide when we consider streamed music? When you consider the album well, the label payed for the pressing and distribution of said album, but when it comes to streamed music they did very little, they (depending on the artist and the contract etc.) probably payed for the recording session, and they probably payed for marketing. The labels are raking in cash for little investment and virtually serving no function when it comes to streaming. Artists that own their music completely are making 100% of the money from streaming.

Nigga people want to listen to music on their phones while they're out.

Believe or not, not everyone stays in their mom's basement all day like you do. Others actually have jobs, friends, etc.

You people do realize you can listen to spotify for free with adblocker

I pity anyone who actually pays money for music/movies

SPOTIFY IS THE SHIT

I actually dont have a computer and I hook my phone to bluetooth speakers

what part of fucking open the site in a phone browser did you not get?

Not everyone wants to go through the trouble of trying to use a mobile website to listen to music you retard. That's why the app exists.

it doesnt work like that for me. It takes my straight to the phone thing. I just google like it would be normal but it wont take me to the same site as my desktop. Tons of sites are like that. Its all very phone specific. As far as I know. Its by far the exception if some site is the same and then on my phone I have to zoom it and shit. Even then some stuff still won't work because of course no cursor. Like some drop down menus wont work like selecting states on a shipping address. Ebay wont let me upload photos for stuff to sell. I think I'd have to get their app.

Holt shit why have I never thought of using the Web player from my phone.

no, I just tried typing it out exactly like it is on my desktop and it wont let me. It just gives me the same page as if I lost connection.

nvm its flash only so it wont work even if you change the user string

oh well

yeah trying to get free spotify was literally the first thing I did when I got my phone

This plus the ability to upload your own shit makes google play music better imo

wait hold on a quick google search turned up 2 android flash based browsers, testing now

so as i was saying...

cool trick

I dont know enough to feel secure messing around with that shit though like I'd eventually get malware or something

its the latest version of flash, which is why its popular

you only need to use it for spotify

This

androidpit.com/how-to-install-flash-player-on-android

puffin is literally a sandbox desktop emulator, it even has emulated mouse clicks and data compression if needed

havent checked out the other browsers yet

that too. i forgot about that.