/swg/ + /fmg/ = Film Production General

What are you working on? Have anything to show? Are you pursuing film as a career, or just a hobby?
RESOURCES (All Verified):

Free online screenwriting software:
writerduet.com/screencraft

Contests:
filmfreeway.com/festivals
screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
scriptpipeline.com/shop/screenwriting-contest
finishlinescriptcomp.com/
tblaunchpad.com/

Jobs and Opportunities:
entertainmentcareers.net/jcat.asp?jcat=126
networkisa.org/writing-gigs.php

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRRjFwOTVVYzROM1k
filmfreeway.com/festivals
vimeo.com/167205323
drive.google.com/open?id=0B4U58MMPhXq-UnEwVlpzYWwwM28
youtube.com/watch?v=xECVqm8he4g
vimeo.com/167633743
youtube.com/watch?v=I4rQKEHfBLw
youtube.com/watch?v=KwnZUBs_hW4
youtu.be/03Q-AptvsZc
youtu.be/RfT2OfNE2u4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

trying to start a feature from scratch, no pre-used or written premise. gonna be born from nothing and follow it through

hello

ive been workin on my short for about a year, what are some festivals to keep in mind other than the big ones (cannes, sundance) of course

AWWW YEAAAH

I'm not working on my 80's short ( script here: drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRRjFwOTVVYzROM1k )at the moment, I'm moving and have been a little preoccupied, but it's still going forward.

Pic related is a location I had in mind for it, if I can get access to it. My dad owns the shop so I should be able to get him to loan it for a day or so.

be sure to get a good cinematographer and audio guy

>filmfreeway.com/festivals
might help you find something to submit to, certainly a lot of festivals with less fierce competition.

I've been working on my first draft of a low-budget feature I'm trying to do in my hometown.

The main character is based off a writer who killed himself in my town.

Hi guys, DGA 2nd Assistant Director here, ask me anything.

vimeo.com/167205323

made this for class and decided that since it was my final project for my production class (i got an A)

no script just sort of shot stuff where i felt like it and went with my gut for about 5 days of shooting

It's a lot better than the last time I saw it, so props there. Only technical error that really stands out: (con't) should be in all caps, and next to the character name.

>made this for class and decided that since it was my final project for my production class (i got an A)

decided that since it was my final project for my production class i'd post it up* fuck im tired

Alright cool, thanks.

Another guy said it should have a lot less dialogue and focus more on atmosphere, would you say that's the case?

Also pic related is very loosely who I'm basing Jonas' look off of (inb4 reddit)

Do you like your job? How collaborative is it?

That design seems to borrow heavily from Arkham Scarecrow.

I can see that.

Reason I described Jonas as having a purple coat is because someone mentioned a purple/yellow contrast would be interesting looking, thinking of color correcting the lights in that shop to contrast with the coat.

any of you guys shut a street down?

how much does it cost to shut a street down per hour?

I don't think you need less dialogue, just maybe that some of it is a bit clunky at the moment. For the whole atmosphere bit, it does need work.

Some things you might want to consider:

Adam and Ryan are minor enough that they don't really need names in the scope of this story. In fact, if we were to watch your short, we would never even find out Adam's name.

If you skip the character introductions (which are generic, and unnecessary) you can add to the mystery/atmosphere. You can introduce them as two guys, use the character titles MAN 1, and MAN 2, or BLONDE MAN and BRUNETTE MAN, doesn't matter.

There's a lot I could suggest. If you'd like, I can do a rewrite just to show you what I, personally, would do. And post it next /swg/ I see you in. If not, I won't touch it, man.

I love my job. Even the high-stress, long hours, no sleep, every part of it.

Every (good) production is a collaborative effort, from the PAs to the grips to the production coordinators to the electricians, etc etc. It's a machine with so many different parts, all working different together for one common purpose.

how'd you land where you are and any advice to pass along?

Yeah man, that'd be fuckin' sweet. Go ahead.

I'm a filmmaker looking to support himself through Photography. I'm planning to do my own personal projects for film.

Would you recommend the DGA's AD program or certification?

I liked the camera angles, it all looked pretty good.

The story is terrible, though. It shows that you didn't really have one. But if story isn't what you're into, that's completely fine.

Here's a short I'm trying to fund and film in LA.
Very skeleton crew, shooting it with my a7s.

sorry forgot link to script: drive.google.com/open?id=0B4U58MMPhXq-UnEwVlpzYWwwM28

Thanks for giving an honest opinion, user.

You said what my teacher said pretty much and I don't disagree.

I'm actually working on another long-term project that I've been working on and that one I'm much more passionate about and actually have a script for. I'm excited for that one.

First page of something I started today. It develops into a buddy comedy between the prostitute and the pizza guy.

Interesting start, would like to see where it goes.

I'm sure it will be a great improvement, man. Good luck!

Alright, cool. Thanks for letting me. I'll start on it tonight.

I took an internship on a film when I was in college. I was an intern PA, the bottom of the bottom of the food chain. But I worked my ass off and impressed the ADs, who took me under their wing and trained me. More opportunities followed after that.

I was taking a big financial risk at the time because it was an unpaid internship, so I was looking at six weeks with no income. I took the risk and it worked out. Wasn't the last risk I've taken. My advice would be to find that fine line between calculated risk and leap of faith and, if you're presented an opportunity like I was, go for it.

If you're into photography, or camera dept in general, the DGA isn't really the place to go (although knowledge in production management is a great thing to have). I'd recommend studying camera at a legit film school.

Maybe use some more pronouns instead of using Keaton every time, it reads a awkwardly in a lot of places.

e.g.
>Keaton looks up to see a man in his late twenties approaching Keaton.

I already graduated from college this year and I have no desire to go to film school.

haha, good advice, but I don't have a background in film nor a degree/education in it. Could I still PA as a nobody and climb the ranks by busting ass?

bum

how do develop characters
how do get someone to pay for my movie

i tried to save this thread twice
fuck all of you

Anyone can be a PA. It's the sort of job where people expect you to drop your Spaghetti all over. It's also a ton of work, and you may get shit on a lot, but most people start out as PA's and once they learn a little and make some friends on set, they move to different departments. I started as a PA, and got into the electric department pretty quick. The pay was much higher, and I was no longer the whipping boy for the set. Physically, being an electrician was much more demanding, however.

Besides just working to get payed I also recently did a new music video. I did this one a few months before: youtube.com/watch?v=xECVqm8he4g

Very short development and production time. And now I still have 2 days for the edit and then its off to the colorist who will need to finish it in a day. This teaser will go online this afternoon. Pic related.
vimeo.com/167633743
pass: swg

These are almost abstract questions. Expecting a single ready package answer for these questions is just weird.

Solid advice right here.
Unless its a mega production don't even bother. If its just you holding the camera and your homeboy as main actor/catering then just shoot it.

I recently had a street semi-locked down for 2 hours between 22 till 00. With two trucks and a generator making a fuckton of noise. We didn't even have permit. But at the same time become friends with the people living there, in the end they are the ones calling the cops. Also get out the way when a car needs to pass.

Not big on the music itself, but that's some nice work you got there. You live somewhere in the Netherlands?

And are you part of a company, or independent?

>These are almost abstract questions.
what the fuck are you talking about

I live in Amsterdam. I work independent as a freelancer or on smaller projects. With production companies or houses on bigger ones.

PA work can range from getting coffee to stopping passerby's. Assigning parking spots to light trucks or catering trucks. But also doing the call sheets (early drafts) to printing and managing or communicating between departments. It could really be anything. Anyone can get PA work or atlaest as a runner that can grow towards being a PA. The step from PA to AD however is hard and in my country impossible.

Should just do a short. In case you'll lose steam halfway through and it will end up an abandoned half-draft

bump

just give it uip

Skimming through the script and it doesn't very very low-profile or skeleton crew. Gonna take you a few days to film with a lot of location moves.

Did you do other music clips ?

fuck that, I've only done shorts. now I'm making that no longer the case.

These eurotimes are harsh on these threads.

I've done a few. They are great for easy portfolio stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=xECVqm8he4g
youtube.com/watch?v=I4rQKEHfBLw
From 3 years ago:
youtube.com/watch?v=KwnZUBs_hW4

Suit yourself, northern.

Anybody else here browse NoFilmSchool?

And I've found that when it comes to filmmaking advice, /p/ and /lit/ are much better than Sup Forums.

nice clips pham. Did you go to film school ?
And do you knew the band who play in the clips before making them or did you just search for opportunities ?
How much control do you have over the clip ? Like, for the first one was it your idea to do most of it in one take ? Or for adding html / js to the third one ?

Daar zit echt goed spul tussen! Er worden de laatste tijd heel veel interessante dingen gedaan in muziekvideos.

Cheers! Music videos keep getting more interesting. Sadly making a living from it is quite hard since most musicians are also broke.

I went to an art college. The bands were introduced through one of their friends who knew my friend. I always have complete control. As you should have, since you are not getting paid. And all your heads of department also need to be able to get their vision out. In the end its a way to build your portfolio on the bands budget. And the band members are usually very respectful.
I am always open to feedback and comments from someone from the band (not all of them, to many opinions end it stops making sense)

thank for the thread

nobody gives a shit about me but I'm writing something

I have cracked final draft actually, and it's pretty great

Why bother making films if the universe will vanish?

Why bother living if the universe will vanish?

Give me examples of the coolest looking sci-fi movies ever.

Sexy shot

Blade Runner and A Scanner Darkly

>being an aspiring filmmaker
>posting on a neo nazi platform

pick one

>A Scanner Darkly
Opinion discarded.

Just wrapped up filming on my latest short today
Took a lot longer than it should have
Started in the middle-to-end of March, got a total of about 8 days (2-4 hours a day) in that time

This is the life of a no-budget filmmaker

2001: A Space Odyssey

Leagues above its next closest rival

I got a whole event that I place here in Sacramento. This year I was able to record the footage of our latest battle. Keep in mind that this is raw footage and completely unedited so if there's a young un' in the room please evacuate for the remainder of this video.

Watch at own discretion, link here: youtu.be/03Q-AptvsZc

This is why I never post my work or anything that could identify me
I don't want to be associated with a bunch of racist basement-dwelling misogynistic virgin neckbeards (who are also very vocally anti-semitic)

Seems like an easy way to get blacklisted in 5 years time

If the first video leaves you feeling empty inside knowing that you'll never get another video like it, then I suggest you watch the extras video youtu.be/RfT2OfNE2u4

You sound like a little fucking girl lol

And you sound like a twelve year old. So there's that.

Cool
I'll bear that criticism in mind when I'm hopefully a successful director 15 years from now

>tfw no friends or family with houses to film in
No idea how to go about getting house locations without money.

I have a female Warriors ripoff /influenced film idea. A short but sweet chases movie.

Still working out the story, flow, themes, characters and motivations. Then gotta get the script done. Plan on doing that by end of summer.

Then I wanna shoot it by 2018 summer, after saving up money for a very indie budget and after shooting small nothing short films to get a handle of the equipment I own.

Do you live in a house?
Do your actors live in houses?

All come from big families where there's constantly a bunch of people home.

And you can't ask/have your actors ask if their families could go out for a few hours?

Not that hard.

In the past year I've written more than a couple shorts, one feature and a few drafts of a TV pilot, all of which I'm pretty confident in quality-wise. I'm going to keep revising and get started on a bunch of other ideas I have but I have no idea what to do with them.

I was thinking of moving to LA but I loathe the idea of bottom-rung PA jobs and such. No disrespect to anyone who does them, they're just not for me. The shorts are purposely fairly simple to produce which I could do so myself. I think either way this seems like a long-term commitment to get anything done in terms of career.

Have you entered them anywhere yet? Or sent them to readers?

bump

Totally. That's why you try to establish yourself and secure yourself with steady, good paying work. Then you can come back and shitpost.

Also depends on talent and people you know. Adam Wingard knows the right people but he constantly posts sexual fetish shit on his tumblr.

So, how do I get over Writer's Block?
I have no idea where to go with my story.
There barely is a story actually.

Yeah I'm gonna do another draft of the pilot and submit to a few competitions, and I'm looking for readers on the feature. I'm not setting any expectations for the competitions though. Does anyone feel that they're a viable means of getting a foot in the door, even if you win? I'm skeptical

>barely a story

start there. if you've got a premise at least, watch some things in the same genre, and just keeping writing down ideas for where it could go, even if they're the most retarded shit you've ever written. don't put pressure on yourself and if nothing's flowing, just step away from it for a bit.

i usually like to start with character studies, but it depends on what sort of angle you're starting from in terms of the kind of story you want to tell.

Personally I let myself stew in the idea and eventually something hits me.

Start with your character(s) and figure strengths, weaknesses and motivations.
Then move onto the story and figure the three acts.

>watch some things in the same genre, and just keeping writing down ideas for where it could go
I have, almost none of them work, and I don't want to completely ripoff Akira.
>step away from it for a bit.
I did, for four years.

I have the two main characters, but no one else. I figured the other characters would come about as the story progressed, I can't have a villain without a story.

Winning the Nicholl Fellowship is pretty much a guaranteed career launch. Winning one of the other big ones is a hit and miss. Very few get their winning scripts produced, but if you want to find an agent or be writers room on TV, it's a pretty good route and a nice note to add to query letters.

Any one know what steps I should take in order to get a job in Production Design?
Am an architecture student and have always been fascinated since I was a kid with behind the scenes, particularly on how they designed and built the sets. I would like to work for a summer on a production. I have volunteered with habitat for humanity a couple of time and know my way around power tools and all the construction environment.
Any links you guys could reply to me with so I could take a look and apply? Thanks bros.

If completely depends what kind of story you want to tell. Take whatever inkling of an idea you have and think: how can I make this more interesting? What would be unexpected in a story like this? Keep asking yourself who, what, when, where, and why.

When you think a story you've seen or heard is interesting, write it down and think about how it could be different. Link two or more of the stories together, and see if you get an interesting result.

If you can find job opportunities on a set, take them. It might be unrelated to production design, but it will let you network with people who are. Make the right friends, they'll get you hired.

Other than that, you could:
-volunteer on indie productions
-create your own project(s)/portfolio
-hope and pray the right job listing comes up

But whatever you do, don't wait to get started. Take what you can.