Belle and Sebastian

Opinions on these lads?

the definition of white people music

What's wrong with that?

I've been just getting into them, having listened to a song or two, but they do seem a bit plain

My favourite band for the last 10 years.
Imo they do this "sweet/nostalgic pop" like no one else. All of their albums are at least 7/10, with two 10/10: If you're feeling sinister and Push barman (compilation).
I have seen them live 2 times, and they put on a great live show, very energetic and they make the public participate a lot.

How would you rate Boy with Arab Strap?

Only listened to sinister and only the first half is good

8/10.
Some songs don't really work, most of all the songs written by the other members of the band (Chickfactor, Seymour Stein).
But this album has some of the best songs in their catalog, Rollercoaster ride and Sleep the clock around.
Their only "ok" album imo is their next, Fold your hands child..

they suck

I find Push Barman depressing. You can see this progression where they start of atmospheric but not very accomplished, get really good by the end of disc one, fish unsuccessfully for new ideas at the start of disc two and end up just boring. And their career's been going on for more than a decade since...

Cannot fathom this. The Boy Done Wrong Again is the weakest cut, but everything else of side two is ace.

sinister the pop GOAT 10/10 would cry again

Lazy Line Painter Jane!

Nothing. It's just edgy kids that take p4k way too seriously

nothing really. I'm black and can't get into them but love twee pop
probably the singers voice pisses me off.

edgy white kids

The second disc start kinda weak, but ends with a really strong set of songs: Loneliness, Take your carriage clock and Marx and Engels are on par with anything on IYFS or TBWTAS imo

True. That's the only weak track, and only because it's way too dramatic

I do like M&E but carriage clock is kind of a dirge and I'm Waking up to Us -> I Love my Car us super terrible. Jonathan David too. Found The Life Pursuit sort of a relief after them

I don't know user, i really like most of those songs. I agree with you though that Life Pursuit is excellent. It's the best of their "crafted pop" phase. I like both of their last 2 albums, but i'm really hoping they make a stripped down record someday.
At least we're getting new music soon

love em
even though they suck

It's possible they're better than I remember. I was really down on them at the time, and like you say, Life Pursuit actually does what they'd been trying for properly.

Weirdly, the only stuff since then I've heard was their other rareties disc, but it wasn't all that.

Tigermilk is great, Sinister is just a slightly lesser retread of that...I've never listened to any of their other albums but I imagine it's much of the same trend

The Third Eye Centre is not a great compilation, but Your Cover's Blown is so fucking good that i forgive them for releasing that.
Listen to Write About Love, give it a chance. It has some great songs (The Ghost of Rockschool, I didn't see it coming, I Can see your future..).

Seem pretty different to me. Tigermilk goes in with lo-fi and that electro-pop thing. Sinister is a bigger band aiming for lush detail.

They did try a different flavour of retro later - see Your Cover's Blown.

sinister is great, everything else is just fucking boring

they're like wilco in that they tread the fine line between enjoyable and completely fucking boring, and most of the time they land in the Bore-Zoneā„¢

Just out of curiosity, what music do you like?

absolutely clueless senpai
Your Cover's Blown is their best song by the way. Their discography is really consistent but there's too much The Smiths aping going on for my tastes.