old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starcaster_by_Fender
youtube.com/watch?v=uHf07NTdw3I
vimeo.com/78045680
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hi

LOL WTF THAT'S SO WEIRD LIKE NIGGA WHO WOULD WANT TO PLAY A ROACH LMFAO

My newest guitar, Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Special in Lake Placid Blue. What a fun instrument.

what a beauty

noice

offset niggers out

What was your first guitar? Pic related for me. Even the left handed model was just $210 (US dollars) so that'll tell you how cheap it is. Pretty much the cheapest guitar you can buy that isn't a toy.

Thanks guys. Not my exact guitar but looks exactly like it, being the MIJ version not the MIM version.

A shitty 12 string whose neck fell off since it was a shitty guitar.

>fender starcaster

This thing was awful. I think I got it at Sam's club as a birthday present. Played it for 5 years before upgrading to a PRS SE. Good memories trying to do my best getting a metal tone out of the no-ouput single coils and SP-10 diode amp.

i play bass and i'm anticipating having to scale up from my shitty 10 watt peavey practice amp pretty soon, any recommendations for something relatively cheap/transportable and powerful enough to be audible with a band

Never heard of a starcaster. And you got it at Sam's Club? When did they sell guitars? Was it one of those cheap "barely an instrument" guitars?

Epiphone LP special 2. Was fun, I'm actually still using the Squier amp I bought with it. Purchasing a Vox ac10 soon though

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starcaster_by_Fender

It wasn't first act Wal-mart tier, but it was basically the bare minimum needed to be a functioning instrument. Don't think they still make them as squier has probably taken up this market.

Fender rumble 40

Oh. So it was basically a cheap, low quality variant of the Stratocaster.

anything fender rumble

buy used/craigslist

Let me add: do you still have it? I do. The humbuckers are rusty so it sounds even crappier than it did new. I bet I could have new ones installed and change a couple of other pieces on it and make it better.

Looks like they still make guitars with the name starcaster but its a $700 semi hollowbody.

Starcaster here:

I do but all the electronics were so poorly soldered that the wiring has come loose and it no longer works. I opened it up a few months ago too see if I could fix it and I just ended up pulling the rest of the wiring apart with minimal effort. Not worth breaking out the soldering kit desu.

Hell yea Lake Placid Blue mothefucker, did you get this off Reverb? I saw one for $550 the other day and was gunna jump on it until I saw this vintage 1970s one here for $650.

Also wtf I specifically remember not typing desu at the end of that. This shit has been happening all the time I write sentences and then after I post I realize I used some weird Sup Forums term. What a fucking weird brain glitch to have.

>starting a new thread before the old one reaches bump limit

YOURE TEARING ME APART

The other two guys have the right idea but the 40 isn't the best choice. Try for the 200w-500w models if you're with a band. I'm currently trying to sell my Ampeg PF-500 and Acoustic 4x10 bass cab for an easy p-z Fender Rumble 500 for our mini tour

no pics but rate my pedalboard:

cry baby wah -> ehx east river drive -> hall of fame reverb -> boss ns2 noise gate -> tce ditto x2 looper

thanks, i'll look into something on those lines

Sup guys, moved finally into new place with the gal, sorry for the mess in the picture but got mostly everything set up.

the Bugera head we dont even use that often, just too fucking loud and I use the Bassbreaker more just for the tone. Thinking about ABYing the Bugera's distortion and the Model B pedal I have though for some super thick tones.

it's a filter for when you type shit like f a m or t b h or something.

not sure what this will be worth, but i have a 150 and i dont turn the volume past a 1. the guy i got it from said he would play shows on 4.

>it's a filter for when you type shit like f a m or t b h or something.

I had no idea that was a thing. I thought I was going crazy for like a month now ha

baka desu senpai

Yes, usual rule of thumb for bass is minimum 100w (for SS) for playing with a band. 40w is not enough. 200W is good. 300w+ is kinda overkill unless you're playing large venues.

When practicing with a metronome are you supposed to focus on it or is it supposed to be more of a subconscious thing. I struggle with focusing on it kinda like how its hard to sing and play at the same time especially with fast leads.

>check some videos of a guitar im considering to buy
>only generic shredding is played on them

fuck me

>Look up videos of 6505mh
>only people reviewing it are blues/rawk dads only using the crunch channel and complaining about how the lead channel has too much gain.

literally 10x worse famalam

Once I tune into my tempo, it becomes second nature, but I played drums before guitar so that may make it easier. It may be easier if you lay down drum tracks to the metronome before guitar tracks.

If I can hear the tick of the metronome am I off time? In an ideal situation should I be playing over it?

>watching guitar demo
>"now I'm gonna play some metal"
>tunes to drop B and starts chugging and doing pinch harmonics

Honestly I have never used a metronome in my life and I somehow can still play perfectly with my friends band. I just kinda wanted to better myself a little.

>tube amps
>Pedals
>Gibson guitars
>Fender guitars
>Bass guitars with more than 4 strings
>Erg's
>Stone and/or wood picks
>Expensive cables
>Jazz guitar
>Blues guitar
>Anything "handwired"
>Pointy guitars
>Folk "music"

O I am laffin

keep practicing and you'll learn to internalize it after hearing the first four beats, then you'll kind of hear it in the background as a reference point

its also beneficial to learn to count in your head

>using this picture constantly in every thread
>not changing the filename

o I am laffin

>bass demo
>fully half of the video is slap bass

Slap is no good for getting any kind of idea of what a bass sounds like. Slap pretty much sounds the same on all basses unless it's fretless or the thing has flatwound strings on it. It's kinda like watching a drum demo for a bass drum and the guy doing the demo plays a much of super fast double pedal stuff.

Give me 3 good reasons not to.

> play surf
> Amps known for thier Reverb aren't showcased further than clean blues with a bit of dwell
> guitars like Jaguars and Jazzmasters are playing some alt rock or indie song and if pedals are involved it's ambient shoegaze

It could have a longer scale but it doesn't so don't buy it

>Playing in B standard
>Only own les paul scale guitars

end my suffering and cut my g strings user's

my first guitar was some stagg student acoustic with a built in tuner. it's still laying around somewhere. terrible action and it sounded like a slinky, but i guess it was good enough to keep me interested.
first electric was a laguna from a guitar/combo pack. didn't sound great but played surprisingly nice. that one is in the hands of a friend who wanted a guitar to mess around with now. almost wish i still had it just to keep around in drop B but oh well.

>china
>cant play it before you buy it
>you havent found one person online who can comment on its quality, especially someone who's played for more than a year
>returns will probably be a major pain in the ass

which guitar?

Those arent even chinese

>buy really nice single cut with duncans
>play for 2 more months and all i want is a tele
just fuck my shit up

I can't figure out the notes in this song for the life of me as simple as it is. There are only 4 of them

youtube.com/watch?v=uHf07NTdw3I

I had an Ibanez Atk 300 bass for a while but my first guitar was a MiM strat

I started playing my grandmothers acoustic chibson dove, first i owned was a really small first act acoustic. Normal size neck, but small body. Then i got a galveston super strat. Drive 20watt combo amp. That was many years ago, i can barely remembered how bad they sounded. Next amp was a rouge 120r, i had a behreinger "ultra metal pedal" and blues something. First was cause i needed more distortion than the amp gave(and wut haz moar distortion than metuhl?) and the second was cause i was trying to get the guitar sound from a dag nasty song called "the ambulance song." Both pedals sucked, it was all awful.

DCBC

Is there any drawback to using a guitar amp head with a bass guitar? Would it work well with a bass cab?

riff challenge: you must play exactly 2 notes simultaneously whenever you are playing a note. ie no single notes and no chords

Why do people bitch about bolt-on necks so much in guitar reviews? I strongly prefer them, I've always found them to be more rigid and have slightly longer string sustain.

cause elitism

China is objectively the best country to get budget guitars from right now. Indonesia and korea are quickly becomimg the new chink shit countries. Taiwan has always been native people spldering by rubbing two sticks together on top of a circuit board.

Also thE fact that if it gets broken it'll only cost $200-$400 to replace and the rest of the guitar is fine

Those are the same people who are afraid to touch a screwdriver

Because guitarists are generally the most logically ass-backwards people you'll ever meet. They're all so confident and full of themselves that they need to present an opinion on everything even though that "opinion" is wrong nine times out of ten. Most of them don't even understand what they're gaining or losing from a set neck, they've just read "set neck" in a list of pros on some other guitar review.

holy crap you paid $650 for that?

Reply to this post if youre like me and realize you should have spent your time learning an instrument that you could have either easily earned money off of or could actually convey real emotion with. You could throw a rock into a crowd and hit a talented guitar player, youll look under every rock in the county to find a talented violin player and only find a mediocre one. A sax player can make you feel a certain way by playing one note, the only way a guitar player can move a crowd is with a perfectly timed bend to a high note. Dont even get me started on piano, where guitar and vass can be replaced by one person with a better result. I bet there's at least one person out there that will say im wrong but wont be able argue against me aside from a youtube link or just outright accusing this of being bait. Face it, guitar is a dead instrument that shouldnt have lasted as long as it did.

GRX 40 for me.

Didn't even have a whammy bar. It was this one. Was a real piece of shit. Still have it at my parents house.

>whammy bar
Like guitarist need help being out of key or out of tune

bait

(You)

but guitar is fun and all the music i listen to is guitar music

also you contradict yourself
>an instrument that you ... could actually convey real emotion with
>a guitar player can move a crowd ... with a perfectly timed bend to a high note

(You)

I love sugizo guitars but I cant really blow $4,000 on a piece of wood anymore, I already have an S3 sustainer and an S1 mixmedia both cost me nearly 5k

can someone explain what the difference between a chord and note on a single string is? asking for a friend.

Like I get that if you play certain strings together it makes a "c chord" but what makes this different from a regular c note? How does playing 4-5 strings together make the same sound as one string? You're not even hitting the same frets. Does hitting them at the same time somehow cancel out and end up as the same sound? How did someone figure this out?

I thought maybe a c-chord and c-note might be fundamentally different, but whether I play one string or a whole chord my tuner picks it up as the same note. What gives? How does it know?

If anyone could explain this without getting into music theory that would help. Asking for a friend who asked me and I couldn't explain it.

for what purpose would a guitarist put the bridge of a fender strat all the way down (read: against the body)?

Look up what harmony means, that'll answer your question.

You mean when using the whammy bar? What kind of question is that?

That's why I love being a keys player. Once a band offered me a larger cut of the pay for a gig because they were so desperate to find someone who could do it.

That said I don't think guitar is dead, but it is severely overplayed. It's still a fun instrument, but being a guitarist means never being useful to anyone because even virtuoso guitarists are a dime a dozen. The age of EDM is pushing into the background but I think it'll have a comeback someday, even if there's nothing new to do with them.

a note is a single pitch

a chord is a group of notes in harmony

on guitar you also use 'improved triads', where one or two notes are repeated in the chord, instead of C E G you have C E G C E

how do you mean?

>that Korg

That keyboard looks miserable to play

i'll take a shot and help ya as best I can, boss. A chord is made of individual notes, as an example the C Major chord has C-E-G in it. The C note is just that, a note. I'm not entirely sure why you think the C note sounds exactly like the C chord - yes it has the C bass and octave note in it, but it is also made up of E (and it's octave) and G notes. As for the tuner, it is likely picking up the first note you strike, and not the ones following it, hence why you are getting the C note to appear.

All my Strats are set this way. With the bridge locked down you can bend one string without the other strings going flat as the bridge rises up under the increased string tension. Trem bridges are for 12 year olds.

No not the whammy bar, like I literally saw a fender strat that didn't have the bar in it, but the bridge was literally set all the way down against the body.

if im understanding you correctly it just sounds like they locked it down tight so they wouldnt have to worry about it. some people dont like using the wammo bar.

Yeah that. Also some people argue having the tremolo 'engaged' (to be used at any time, unlike what you're describing where they've locked it down) can cause the guitar to go out of tune. I've never had issues with it myself.

That sounds about right; I've never seen that before. What benefit does locking it down tight have?

if you've never heard a trem knock a guitar out of tune then you either have the finest trem system known to man or no ability to judge pitch

this

tremolos are shit

those who use them always OVER use them

I mean, I tune my Strat everyday and it stays in tune according to my tuner, so I don't know man.

Also to add above, so much as touching the bridge can cause notes to go sharp, I had a huge issue with that when I was playing a guitar with a floyd rose. Maybe people want to avoid that too.

Personally I love tremolo, can add a bit of colour to some things.

it basically turns it into a fixed bridge. you dont have to worry about balancing the screws in the back with the string tension and all that.

With a trem bridge there's no way of doing these bends

vimeo.com/78045680

Push the G string up a tone and a half and the E and B will go flat. That Strat is hardtailed with five springs, the claw tightened up and a piece of wood under the bridge glock so the bridge doesn't ever move.

so a fixed bridge is like a hardtail, yeah?

thank you

>glock

block durr

exactly

If it's a well made instrument and you don't know how to maintain them there's no problem, but on a cheap guitar whammy bars are definitely a huge pain in the ass.

Just tried it and you're right. Never really noticed that. I don't often perform like that though, I wouldn't consider it a huge issue. I'd prefer the option of tremolo to be available than to not have that issue.

>They don't like harmonic floyd wankery

Getcha pull!!

You sometimes get away with a tone bed on the G if you use light strings but I always play 10-46 and bend them all over the shop. That would pull a trem bridge up in the air and throw the tuning right out immediately.

i really dont know why people even bother with trems

what do you want to do? stupid dive bombs? shake chords? they are a pain in the ass to deal with and just aren't worth it

wait so if i get a fender strat, and fix the bridge for tuning stability, do I need to get locking tuners as well?