Revamped 'Top Gear' Audience Drops in U.K. Season Debut

>The Sunday night U.K. debut of BBC's revamped Top Gear, hosted by British media personality Chris Evans, Matt LeBlanc and three others, drew an average audience of 4.3 million, according to overnight data.
>"#TopGear returned to BBC2 with a new lineup and a healthy 4.3m/22.6% from 8pm," tweeted ratings analysis firm overnights.tv. One observer noted that this was the lowest overnight ratings for a season debut of the show in a decade.
>While other ratings tweets also mentioned the 4.3 million figure, rounded down from 4.34 million, the BBC itself cited an average audience of 4.4 million. The BBC also highlighted that Top Gear was the "biggest show at 8 p.m.," citing as its nearest rival the British Soap Awards on ITV, which were watched by an average of 3.9 million people.
hollywoodreporter.com/news/top-gear-uk-season-debut-897843

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

eztv.ag/ep/148812/top-gear-s23e01-internal-hdtv-x264-deadpool/
youtube.com/watch?v=vmcmqTAu6b8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>They didn't even get the token "It's new, let's watch the debut and see what it's like" boost in ratings

That's fucking depressing

Bravo LeBlanc fuck. Looking forward to seeing you act in nothing.

>Chris Evans

There's still Ash Versus Evil Dead Season 2

JUST

>Chris Evans is a cunt who is scripted to not be a cunt
>Matt Le'blanc is a sitcom actor who can't ad lib
>The new producers can't provide scripts to accommodate both

I'm not surprised

What? Has he been casted for Season 2? I can't see him in that...

They didn't have Clarkson or May.

I thought that with morbid curiosity they'd get very high ratings.

That's actually really surprising.

Piracy!

That's what happens when you remove the reason to watch a show. Top Gear wasn't a show about cars, that was just the "setup". It was a lads banter show. A good friend simulator.

I imagine they did, but the number of old fans who just didn't even bother far outweighed them.

The week 2 stats are going to be the fun ones, I'm predicting less than a million viewers.

this

the new top gear is shit, I'm not even bothering watching it.

Agree about LeBlanc. He comes across like an OK guy, but not someone who's quick or charismatic on his feet, only when reading lines (although that's still 90% of what TopGear ever was)

This. It was a show you could watch with a beer in your hand where you'd laugh and relax.

I actually though Leblanc was charismatic and he sounded by far the least scripted of them all

I would watch him just dicking around

the joke is he looks like Bruce Campbell now

when will the inevitable friends top gear reunion happen? they could get schwimmer and the other guy I reckon.

>Hearing Chris Evans say "IN THE WORLD"

I almost threw up

>A good friend simulator.
this

As a guy who never watched Clarkson Top Gear where should I start? I could use some british lads shit talking each other about cars. Do I just start with the best-of clips?

watch all the specials. they are goat.
then start with the show s4 onwards

Yes you should

The first 5/6 seasons arn't that good but past that its amazing

I started watching recently and the specials are hilarious.

Vietnam Special

anyone have a link to the episode? interested in seeing it myself.

Its on Iplayer

It was three funny lads doing funny lad things in cars. They got rid of everything except the cars.

bbc.co.uk/iplayer

What a surprise.

eztv.ag/ep/148812/top-gear-s23e01-internal-hdtv-x264-deadpool/

This.

It was also non-pc which nowadays people find refreshing and fun.

There was some reporter back in Finland going through Jeremy Clarkson quotes from the show and was getting really asspained. Then the "journalist" went on a tirade how that kind of behaviour is not acceptable and Clarkson is obviously a fucking asshole and got what he deserved for being a old remnant of patriarchy.

you wouldn't steal a car?

I wonder what turned everyone into massive vaginas somewhere around 2010 or so.

You never really heard this shit, certainly not at a mainstream level, before then.

Leblancs Nomad segment was actually decent

My wife loved it because it was silly. It was a show we could always agree on, even though she doesn't like shows about cars.

Honestly they should have given LeBlanc his own show, it was the dude's first time hosting anything like this and he still somehow made it comfy as fuck even with Evans looming over him like a bad smell

Chris Evans would absolutely steal a car show though.

never had to get around iplayer before, what would you all recommend? expatshiled? identity cloaker?

The "gag" with him running from the paparazzi made no sense. The paparazzi is after Matt LeBlanc???

>It was a bit like when you go for forced drinks with work colleagues you don't particularly know/like and end up spending the evening having stilted conversations predominantly about work in order to fill the silence
wew

My 50 year old Canadian mother likes watching Top Gear (as well as May's drinking show). She has negative interest in cars.

They should have found people who had N existing friendship, rather than just throwing a variety mix into the pit and hoping they generate a rapport.

Being English helps

>That entirely scripted celebrity segment

Eh i didn't hate it

Leblanc sold me on it he was funny, lots of what he said felt natural and not like he was just reading from a script

Depressed that Chris Harris stopped releasing his GOAT content to join this sinking ship and he wasn't even in the debut.

Chris Evans shit as always.

Agree.

Biggest plummet in viewers ever.

Like a fucking cliff.

im betting on 1.9

It was OK but they have shit writers to be honest. The jokes were fucking horrible and I can't tell if he was bad at delivering them or not because nobody could deliver them well.

i dont think it was bad enough to fall off a cliff i am expecting 4ish next week and it will keep dropping from there

The crowd was being told what to do right?

All the YAYYYYYYYYY and AWWWWWWWW felt so forced

I'm not sure because there were some awkward silences in parts.

>mfw everything you love in life will be ruined by a bunch of social justice harpies who are offended by everything
>these people don't care about profits, sustainability or fun, only about pushing their brand of propaganda
Feels fucking awful.

>While other ratings tweets also mentioned the 4.3 million figure, rounded down from 4.34 million, the BBC itself cited an average audience of 4.4 million.

Desperation. Fuck the BBC. (No pun intended)

It was bad enough that it's not a "Must watch it right away" show, so overnight ratings will tank, overall ratings will bleed slowly.

Leblanc was absolutely fine i thought, Chris Evans is killing the fucking show

The jokes were mainly bad because everything is pushed through a cheese cloth - anything that might hurt fee fees gets cut.

This tbqf

Ok so i just finished watching the episode and heres my two cents i guess

Pros

>Leblanc was half decent and given someone better to bounce off could be pretty good
>Still looked fantastic, great shots/music as usual
>Stig

Cons

>Chris Evans being Chris Evans doing an impression of Clarkson
>Dead crowd clearly being told what to do. When to cheer and what not
>No main third host for Leblanc and Evans to work with making a lot of scenes between just the two of them awkward
>Unfunny jokes

>The jokes were mainly bad because everything is pushed through a cheese cloth - anything that might hurt fee fees gets cut.
This. Design by committee is always a bad fucking idea. With comedy it's absolute and certain death, there is no room for feelings based PC crap in comedy.

>Top Gear wasn't a show about cars

What planet are you from?

>this

Joey was great but Chris Evans sucked ass. Maybe he really is like that but everything he did/said felt so fucking forced and fake.

They replaced the white male lads with a team of multicultural token people who wont offend you.
Unforntaly for the kikes who run entertainment, streaming is destroying their narrative.

so how was it? worth a download?

No one respond to this.

>A good friend simulator

t. Lonely friendless virgins

Most normal people don't idolise these presenters so much. They enjoyed watching them and their stunts. But that doesn't mean the show was a """""""""""""""""""friend simulator""""""""""""""""""""

You guys need to get the fuck out more

Damn what are those things in the background, I mean they look a lot like cars but... no they can't be! They can't be because a friendless virgin on Sup Forums says this show ISN'T ABOUT CARS!!!!

>Most normal people don't idolise these presenters so much.

Yeah it was just watched by 450 million people because it was oright i guess

how about go fuck youself you jakeball scumbag, pay your license fee then ask bbc how you can watch it.
otherwise wait about a week and watch it on youtube thanks to spineless bbc worldwide not fiving a fuck about take downs outside uk showing americans things for free that we can't even fuckign pay for because herp derp copyright

Why are they dressed like that? Sad.

I'm a Sup Forumsack but I think people are over emphasising the multicultural thing. There's a black fella on extra and Chris Harris has some Caribbean heritage or something and that's about it. The problem is that they are trying to sanitise a format that only worked so well because it wasn't sanitised. The brit/yank section is a perfect example of what's wrong with this new show. It didn't work at all because you can't do safe banter, it's always going to be verging on offense.

Being white and male is shameful. You need to feel SHAME. By the way, white isn't even a fucking culture! Except when it comes to you doing things that hurt other races, then white people are homogeneous and all the hundreds of different cultures no longer exist! The only good white man is a dead white man.

can the bbc shill REEEEEEEEEEEEEEing about the show being about cars go to sleep already, no one is falling for it.

Making the show the libtard diversity hour isnt entertaining when every show is the libtard diversity hour.
Being a right wing radical in 2016 is more rebellious

>use show as friend simulator
>new shot isn't a friend simulator
>don't watch it
>nobody else does either
>"fucking creepy virgins, nobody watched this as a friend simulator! go shoot up a school or something, weirdos."

>No star in a reasonably priced car
>no reviews
>an entire show of just the specials

Thank you BBC, we couldn't have reached Top Gear's final form with you attached

Seriously, don't respond, half the last thread was him baiting

>getting a ref from Gladiator for the final race

What

Except they did.

That's how much worse things are going to get for them. Serves them right for puking out more PC garbage with shoehorned diversity to appease the extremely vocal, perpetually-offended minority.

Meanwhile, the actual Top Gear will be a huge feather in the cap for Amazon Prime.

Never reply to me again unless you're contributing something to the thread of the board community.

>>an entire show of just the specials

oh man this will either suck or be great. I think the reason why specials were so great (apart from the indian one ofc) is that it's once or twice a year.

>that pic
wtf

>Chris Evans & Matt LeBlanc
>ever reaching even the ankles of Clarkson, Hammond & May

ha ha shut it down

Based Milo

Could they have a Celeb in an Affordable Saab?

>I'm a Sup Forumsack but I think people are over emphasising the multicultural thing.
The multicultural thing isn't a problem in of itself. However, it's a good visual indicator of all the other shit you mentioned. It's never a big shocker when a show with a "quota cast" fails to have any edge, take any risks or do anything offensive.

I got into Top Gear late and a spent a night watching all of their major overseas specials and it was one of the best viewing experiences of my life, my sides were sore the next morning I'd laughed so much

The generation of PC snowflakes raised by single-mothers finally came of age and found their voice.

A voice they used to whine about almost everything. Thankfully, people are fed up with them now and have stopped listening.

Jesus fuck, literally how old are you?

If you're less than 50 years old and enjoyed Top Gear you have issues.

>Help Leblanc out at the end
>Not leaving him behind

Just burn this show to the ground

They watch it for hijinks and driving around in expensive cars, not because they want to pretend that they are friends with three fat middle aged men off TV that they will never meet

Most people are not that delusional.

They have terrible fashion sense

People liked the old hosts, it doesn't mean they fantasise about being friends with them

Tell me again about how a car show isn't about cars

They are fucking amazing but the reason why they are amazing is that they are rare.

Will they have the Ghostbusters girls as special guests soon?

I am the people and I fantasized about being friends with them every time I was watching the show and most of the time while I wasn't watching the show.
I am the people, so who are you to tell me what people do and don't do? A lot of people watched the show to have them as friends, that's a fact.

youtube.com/watch?v=vmcmqTAu6b8

But it's not really multiculti is it? Aside from the woman the only two ethnics are relegated to a sideshow.

There were the curries on an old vauxhall which was a bit odd though.

It's clearly trying to be safe but it's not the most offensive casting I've ever seen by the BBC on the diversity side of things.

>Don't speak to me or my wife's thread ever again

Who watches this PC-crap? It is clearly anti-white. It's shown on BBC. Wake up people.

I don't even think it's Sup Forums approved.

Wasn't there some shit about Chris Evans being a huge douche to the people watching them drive cars outside?
Didn't he also puke while driving? Come on BBC.

I feel really bad for Chris Harris because hes a really cool guy