The weird frontier between pop and avantgarde

the weird frontier between pop and avantgarde
are these guys the saviors of music?

will 2017 be the year of marcel-core shitposting on Sup Forums? i can already see dean blunt and dream catalogue daily threads happening at this rate.

Has a better electronic artist than OPN come out within the past 6 years?

throw this one out
make a new one with Elysia Crampton, Total Freedom, Lotic, and Yves Tumor
get up to speed with the new fringes

arca

Arca's made some good stuff but no fucking way is Arca better than OPN. Come on.

I know Arca but whom are they?

I actually agree I just like Arca's latest stuff more

Oneohtrix has never put out anything close to either Pop or Avant-garde

"It's only good if TMT and BMM like it"

How about you post some REAL avant artists?

I can't agree with that either. Even if you ignore GoD (I personally love it but I can see why some people don't), Arca has never put out anything on the level of R+7. Not Entranas, Xen, Mutant. Nothing.

fuck off BMM

Arca, E+E, Zomby, the list goes on...

Who are some good avant composers of the past decade?

OPN is better and more innovative than those 3.

I agree but what do you call it? Progressive electronic? Experimental electronic?

nah

OPN is definitely a pop (as in popular music) artist

Drone
Skee Mask
Nicolas Jaar
Roly Porter
Mizmor

Thanks, will check them out. Only one I know is Jaar, and I never thought of him as avant-garde. I guess I don't really know what avant-garde means. Inventing new techniques?

hahahahahaha

ya

eh I think GoD is OPN's best so we can agree to disagree there, personally I think parts of Mutant is on par with GoD as well

*arpeggiates Omnisphere choral preset*
damn that's innovative!

lol

how tf is skee mask avant

just tryna keep da thread alive sry

I work as a sound engineer for a venue in Boston he's played at a few times. I usually like to shoot the shit when I'm setting up, and while setting up for an event he was going to be playing at, everyone but him was willing to have some small talk. When he got there he was already looking pissed off and kept checking his phone with this vaguely angry and annoyed look on his face, like he's wasting his time even being here. I figured he was probably just having some difficulties elsewhere to give him the benefit of the doubt, and when he was bringing some gear in I just shot him a friendly "how's it going Dan?". He stood there for probably 3-4 seconds just staring straight ahead with a blank look on his face, then kept moving. Later I asked him if he needed help bringing stuff in because I have a dolly I use for heavier equipment, and he turns to me, walks above 4 inches from my face, and just starts chomping the air. He wasn't even making noises, just loudly clacking his teeth together with a blank look on his face, like he was violently stretching his jaw or something. I was genuinely offput, so I decided to just leave him alone as best I could. Awhile later one of the event managers (real tiny girl) came up to talk to him, and I saw him doing the same thing, but as he did I noticed his fingers were wildly twitching around, clenching and unclenching his fists rapidly. Words got around backstage quickly after that, and everyone was avoiding the dude. As it got closer to the opening, he began muttering "chomp chomp" under his breath in a pissed off but vaguely sexual voice, just endlessly repeating the phrase. After the show as we were unloading some gear from the stage, I heard a scream in the back, so I went back to check what was going on and there was the event manager he freaked out on laying on the couch while Dan stood over her, one foot on the couch and one on the ground, power thrusting his hips toward her face while growling "chomp chomp"

thoughts?

My boy Ferraro is GOAT. Lopatin is the Brian Eno of our generation.