Hello Sup Forums i would like to know what is the best linux based os for a IBM thinkpad t60 im looking for something...

hello Sup Forums i would like to know what is the best linux based os for a IBM thinkpad t60 im looking for something easy...ish to run i would just get puppy cause that runs on fucking everything (like it would run on a pentium2 XD) but i dont really like it (just a opinion) or i would get ubutu or mint but those are kind of heavy on these old ibm thinkpads plz help :)

Linix mint

Every linux runs on everything user, distros are not different in this regard, as long as they use the linux kernel.

Anyway, for an old laptop i would recommend
xubuntu, as userland is far less bloaty compared to gnome or kde.

Basically anything debian based is good for me but really depends on the preference

Debian.
Just be ready to download the proprietary wifi drivers it asks you if you want to install from a USB, and put them on a USB and continue or restart the installation.
It tells you the exact thing to download.

the answer to this is to use Windows 10

Lubuntu or Xubuntu.
Extra points if you install Trinity Desktop Environment and a vaporwave wallpaper.

t. X61t owner.

Mint is complete shit securtiy wise. Its basically ubuntu with special snowflake updates.

Maybe he doesn't want a total malware OS with a bunch of barely functional "apps" installed.

Xubuntu or Lubuntu

Go on Sup Forums man

thank you for putting dummys in there place we need more people like you :)

The "weendows 10 is full of le cancerware XdXdXddd" is bullshit

Also, you can easily uninstall the """""barely functional apps""""" and disable all the """""spyware"""""

thanks guys

what do y'all think of fedora linux?

7 is usable too. just max out the ram.

if your cpu is a T2xxxx one its 32bit though so dont go winblows on it if yours has one of those.

hey dummy its the fact that the WEINDUWS 10 HAHAHAHAHAH LINIX ES 4 RIRARDXDXDXD was really out of place and nobody ask which windows os i asked which linux

forgot pic.

usable, but has some issues.

wow i have good grammer

Debian, obvioulsly.

somebody should make potatOS

i like the way you think

>amd
>1366x768

How is being a poorfag going?

bieber linux

bad

i want to die now

eh, what's the point of using linux as an everyday OS? Windows is far superior in that regard.

But Debian is indeed the best Linux OS.

I use Windows for gayming and Linux for everything else

Apart from the shitty name it's actually pretty decent, stable and mostly up to date packages and the xfce 'spin' will literally run on a toaster, I installed it on a 1.4ghz single core laptop with 2gb ram and 512mb on board graphics, wouldn't play hd video very well but the os ran fairly smoothly

You should consider killing yourself you elitist snob.
Back to

If you like ubuntu, try lubuntu?

It's much, much lighter

customization n shit. I like to have a package manager instead of downloading shit from random sites. Muh NSA spying. I dont game, so everything i do works.

A brief tutorial on how to be an 1337 hacker:
>use linux as your main OS
>call anyone who uses Windows retarded
>have a superiority complex

Or maybe he just likes the OS?
Windows is fine, but the way Linux is set up is more pleasant to me.

>everyday computer
Depends what you do, user. My computer usage consists mostly of web-browsing and simple word-processing. Linux systems can do these tasks incredibly well, and I enjoy the customization and being able to access my system from the command line.

I literally just use Windows if I want to game, and even there I'd like to switch to a VM setup

This hits too close to home, fampai

Linux is open source, and so are the packages you're downloading. The NSA could quite easily "contribute" to that. I mean, I highly doubt you've looked through the code for all 2302 packages installed, or how about the OS itself?

When it comes to security, can you really trust other people?

Because I use GNU/Linux at work... It's my OS now.

People who say that windows is greater can't exploit at 100% a Linux OS capabilities and possibilities, after more than 10 years on Debian I can tell it's far better than windows, even for gaming and other autist stuff...

With Linux everything is possible if you are good enough.

>even for gaming
Poor bait. Also, there we go with that superiority complex again. You really shouldn't be so bitter! People don't like that. Maybe that's why you don't have any friends?

I mean I trust the Debian/Gentoo/whatever people a lot more than I trust Microsoft.

Thank you for correcting the record, Pajeet

You are a poor guy, I don't want your life, even for 1M$...

But they can be hacked or modified and not every package you have is an apt repository, surely some things are manual installations?

Well I figured someone ought to tell you.

You really shouldn't be so rused, I only said that you should stop being bitter because it's annoying and kinda gay.

If it's a manual installation then I have to go to the dev's git repository (which means seeing the commit history for the past few weeks at least), clone it, build it on my own system, and install it. All of that process is either subject to manual review or encryption. As for distribution repos getting hacked, I've never known it to happen, and I keep up to date on that sort of shit.

And all of that is supposition anyway, whereas NT is provably both insecure (>kernel-level fonts >downloading your software from random shady sites >installing rootkits to keep you safe from other rootkits) and in the case of Windows 10, shipped with spyware.

Indeed, but it's entirely possible. I'm just saying if you really care about security, you would be on something like "paranoid linux" and not Debian 8.5 with 2,000 packages.

In other words, why care about something unless you're fully dedicated to it? Obviously I won't hand out passwords, but regarding the NSA I don't care unless I can guarantee security, which requires a lot of effort.

>Be rused
>Bitter

Dixit the guy who attack GNU/LInux users bc he don't know how to install it on his computer, are you frustrated like that bc you are stuck on windows and don't know how to leave it?

Oh, no I'm not that guy. My system is pretty barebones Gentoo (though not hardened). I think there's a sliding scale of security, though. You can be that guy who only runs TAILS and encrypts all his storage with a GPG key stored on the flash drive around his neck, or you can just avoid software that's known to be compromised. It's like you don't have to be RMS to enjoy the benefits of free software.

Shit bait, but I'll bite. I prefer using Linux on VMs and I'm dual-booting an old Debian OS with Windows 7, but I never use the installed Debian since VMs are way easier all round. Most of my Linux usage happens on my server for when I'm coding or playing with bash. Other than that I don't really have a use for it and I find Windows to be easy-to-use for everything I do, especially gaming, which I don't do all that often, but it's nice to have there.

Also, I wasn't attacking you. I simply said your superiority complex is annoying and kinda gay.

I ran Zen on a T60 back in the day.

Until that last post he didn't show a superiority complex, though. Liking Linux and using it full time doesn't mean you think you're superior.

See

Exactly my point.

There was some pretty serious salt in the post he replied to.

Using VMs on a windows OS, what a great way to increase the attack surface of your poorly securised OS...
I don't have any superiority complex, maybe it's just you that have an inferiority complex and it's kinda gay.

I know right, what a manchild.

>xubuntu
LXLE

Underrated

Don't know my Linux that well other than what I have worked on but I can advise not to work on the broken POS Ubuntu. Hated that OS. broken and doesn't do as it's intended. If you want no GUI, of course Centos works, but you'll likely have security holes out the ass with. If others are saying Mint has security holes and is based on Ubuntu, that sucks, I can't say i Know, I use windows, but sucks cuz it was the only other stable Linux distro I have had the joy of using. Of course I always worked in command line for classes. Try Kali. lol

bump