Do I need to be mentally ill/suicidal to be a good musician?

>Kurt Cobain
>Nick Drake
>MC Ride
>Kanye West
>Jeff Mangum
>Trent Reznor
Any others?

MC Ride isn't mentally ill, the dude is chill as fuck.

Chief Keef

He seems like a guy who spends all his free time watching ISIS executions on liveleak and looking at gore pics, but wouldn't hurt a fly in real life.

Genesis is a great example of what music can be when you're not just using it to glory in your own fuckedness. Their music wasn't all emo and sad because their lives weren't. Their music was interesting and fantastical and very seldom had songs from the perspective of the writers. They weren't all "WOE IS ME WAAAAA" they were stories and they kicked ass.

>>Jeff Mangum
nigga what? what illness does he have?

please recc songs by them like the ones you describe

>good musician
>kurt cobain

pick one

A fetish for dead jewish girls.

Found the asshole who doesn't appreciate what dead artists did for music.

i don't know if he has an illness, but he sure is a weird guy, or at least sings about "weird" stuff

Kurt wasn't suicidal, he was just an edgy attention whore

>Kurt Cobain killed himself
>Kurt wasn't suicidal.

This is either bait or "it was a le murder" meme. Either way you're a fucking tard

didn't he kill himself?

just poppin by to remind everyone that KURT COBAIN FUCKIN' SUCKS!!!

He killed himself because he wanted to remembered as some deep edgy faggot.

Want to know how I know you're 14?

"no"

People don't kill themselves for attention. Half-hearted fake attempts? sure, but not shotguns to the head

no but you need a lot of pain

idk if bait but there is no correlation between skill and mental illness

being this stupid

No, you just need to be able to think outside the box and make music you want to hear. That's what all the "geniuses" do.

Go on...

No, but it is shameful to be an artist who won't end up in a loony bin or committing suicide.

>MC Ride

Is he suicidal?

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

inb4 "being mentally ill makes me a good musician"...

being a good artist generally is about your technical ability to convey personal ideas. it's not like this is specific to music... if you're a weirdo who says shit that other weirdos feel, but you say it in an artistically engaging way that may/may not include ties to your own personal life, and then your art gets disseminated enough, people are going to respond. great technical ability is enough for some people to get remembered but most 'great' artists have a compelling story and put that into their work.... makes sense that there would be a lot of mental illness in that camp