First time making this thread

First time making this thread

ITT: Classics that you don't really like.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/csWzB94_ULk?t=4m50s
youtube.com/watch?v=SINOvqXXiPM
youtube.com/watch?v=586-G4TcUxQ
youtube.com/watch?v=l9-NOIalUYU
tapeop.com/articles/26/my-bloody-valentine-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i don't really understand the appeal

I respect it but come on it's so fucking bad and D.Boon was so pretentious. What this album inspired was amazing though that's why I respect it.

It's just cheesy pop songs

like this for the same reason you don't
agree
fun and bluesy, some really great tracks individually
agree
productions the only good part, dislike

All other records in this topic are kinda understandable, but I have never heard anyone ever shit on this album. Mind elaborating? It's just such an easy fun listen due to the grooves, the track lengths, the variety, and the surprising technicality on it.

I like Tomhet but what the fuck is with his voice?
Filosofem is so much better

Forgive me Sup Forums
I can't dig into this

>voice?
He was going for a far more unhinged feel on this record while Filosofem has a more laid back vocal performance with effects on it. Safe to say that HLTO's vocal performance is far harder to get into, but often why many prefer that album to Filosofem because it's far more unique and organic.

You're totally lame senpai

whats wrong with you?

And that's all it is. People call the actual content groundbreaking and it shocks me.

Don't really know
I understand why it's great tough and respect the album
It's just not for me

They try and do the same song over and over again but they never actually hit any melody or play anything worthwhile

marquee moon

Who else did that style around that time though? Or more specifically before them?

gotta listen to it stoned man

The Pop Group! They have that sound the Minutemen tried to do and absolutely nailed it and like 6 years earlier too.

Closer is better imo
Unknown Pleasures gets better the more you listen to it but I'm still like 50/50 on it whereas Closer is less of the amazing fast driving post-punk stuff like Disorder and Interzone but it's so goddamn bleak it's hard to listen to sometimes

Listen to Laughing Stock more
Was bored out of my skull the first time I listened to it. Then I went back and realized how delicate and impressive the arrangements were, and that how unbelievably beautiful some of the climaxes like New Grass are. The jazz influences are nice too

Uninspired riffs, boring songwriting, generic vocals, and it NEVER FUCKING ENDS. This album is my idea of hell, and I generally love psych rock.

Wouldn't that only deteriorate my experience? I mean like, it seems that by altering my mind, I'd just be less actually aware of the music so it's be better, but I wouldn't really be "listening" to it

Who the fuck said King Gizzard was classic? Bring them over here so I can the beat the fucking stupid out of them.

These, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, every Pink Floyd album that isn't The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, every album by Beck. Can't think more.

So annoying

Bruh

Listen to Australian alternative radio for like ten minutes and some hipster dipshit is gonna proclaim them, Dune Rats and DZ Deathrays the second coming of Christ.

I've been listening to Boris more over the past few months, and slowly I've gotten really into all of their albums that I've listened to (Amplifier Worship, Pink, FUCKING FEEDBACKER etc. all amazing) except for Flood. And I listened to Flood for the first time almost two years ago now I think.

The songs are all incredible (Flood I is super underrated I hated it at first but now I love how it slowly morphs into something else with the same riff) but even with the solos they stretch so long that it's hard for me to stay interested the whole time.

As it is it's really cool but hard for me to justify listening to even the individual songs unless I'm in the right mood. If they were shorter or if I could handle the length it might be one of my favorites.

I have only listened to Y and Citizen Zombie from TPG. I love Y in particular, but it sounds NOTHING like anything Minutemen have done outside the funky bits, being far more abrasive and barely sounding like rock music at all.

Pretentious, poorly written and just generally not very good. Groundbreaking, but actually shit.

Hated it at first but been getting it into a little more lately
The first half is super groovy and amazing but I still have trouble reconciling that with Aumgn and Peking O. And Halleluwah is so goddamn good but it's so long like damn I can't always dedicate 20 minutes to a song

Gang of Four as well

>poorly written
how?
i mean the lyrics may be pretentious to some but i think they achieve their purpose

worst post on Sup Forums

They obviously think they're so much better than they are, I don't know. Fucking fashionista pricks.

i don't find it enjoyable in any way whatsoever

I second this

Extremely gay pointless Mountain Dew turn up abrasive ass music. Glad that crab is dead.

what's a band that thinks they're exactly as good as they are?

Still love Nico's vocals

Cloon

True.

First half = not as good Neu! + not as good Amon Duul

Second half = not as good Manfred Schoof + not as good Faust I

Poor choice of words on my part.
They just sound like arty mongoloids to me, jerking each other off constantly while shooting heroin and thinking they're changing the world. Always fucking hated people like that.

i like it but closer is miles ahead

jesus christ how

agree

most accessible album in the world

>I want to appreciate art, but not when it challenges me

poorly written how

lol

its bad, outdated pop songs hidden by guitar noise

Don't have the cover but Lift Your Skinny Fists by Godspeed You Black Emperor. It's not even that I don't like post rock, but there's something about this album that I've just never liked it even after years of giving it chance after chance to wow me and win me over

>I want to appreciate art, but not when it challenges me
>bad, outdated pop songs hidden by guitar noise
fucking lmao
Also don't put words in my mouth

maybe try Loaded, the self-titled or VU (1985). It's less art more rock and its all done very well. I myself am not a fan of TVU&N and most of WL/WH.

Blonde on Blonde

I love Dylan but I really don't see this album as being among his best

I really like most of their other stuff, even WL/WH, I just hate how they come off on the Nico album

I was just paraphrasing for you :)

for some reason the internet has changed LYSF's status from "great post-rock record" to "the end all-be-all of post-rock". it also doesn't help that other post-rock acts have been ripping them off ever since F# A#

I watched the documentary behind it and it made me like it more because I'm from the same area they're from, but yeah it's like a 6 at best

You're among the laziest kind of music listeners out there based on your definition of accessible and challenging while having Loveless as your pick. Retards like you think good music is one that attempts to actively "challenge" the listener by having sounds that are traditionally unconventional or atonal, but as has been proven by science itself such a distinction is completely shallow. Meanwhile, you'll take something that's surface level easy to understand like Loveless or a more poppy record in general and automatically think it's bad because of that rather than making an active attempt at picking out the subtleties of a record like that. Oh but then I guess you making an active attempt to pick up on stuff is too much work for you.

To you a repetitive record that explores no new ideas and has nothing to really say is going to be fantastic as long as it's abrasive and goofy to YOU or to the general populace. But a pop record that tries its hardest to cram various little things for the listener to pick up and reward the listener with would be shit because it's a pop record that anyone can listen to regardless.

Btw Loveless isn't just guitar noise. Maybe make a conscious attempt to pick up on how much production/studio work and sampling has gone into this album. The mix on each track sounds totally different with where the instruments are placed and what their end timbres sound like being very different. There is both DJ Shadow-esque drum sampling and this interesting take on feedback sampling which is far more pinpoint than what the noise/power electronics/industrial guys had done by then. Like say...the minimalist classical work Strumming Music by Charlemagne Palestine, the songwriting is purposefully kept very simple so the focus of the listener goes more towards the more subtle, microtonal, and psychoacoustic aspects of what the music offers.

Bleach was a bunch of guys in a garage with average instruments making grunge
Pic related was just three guys in a studio with high-end instruments trying to make music that sounds like grunge

rekt!!!!!

While I was obviously being hyperbolic I think you sum it up best yourself. "The songwriting is purposefully kept very simple". The actual songs are crap and uninteresting. I could really give a shit less about amateur hour cut & paste drum samples when artists like Kid Koala and Dilla do and have done it better. I could really give a shit less about "pinpoint feedback sampling" when Medicine and The Jesus & Mary Chain combine noise and pop music in a more intriguing and effortless way. At least Slowdive had the decency to write a tune.

>To you a repetitive record that explores no new ideas and has nothing to really say is going to be fantastic as long as it's abrasive and goofy to YOU or to the general populace

When did i say this

ps: It's such an insult for you to compare DJ Shadow's percussion to MBV. MBV only used samples because Colm was physically and mentally drained, and it shows.

Compare:
youtu.be/csWzB94_ULk?t=4m50s
youtube.com/watch?v=SINOvqXXiPM

vs

youtube.com/watch?v=586-G4TcUxQ
youtube.com/watch?v=l9-NOIalUYU

nice loops, half a mil well spent

These

>J&MC
>Better at combining noise and pop music
>Better at writing pop songs at all
>Kid Koala alongside Dilla as apparently one of the first artists that came to you as an example of creative sampling
>Fucking Slowdive
this whole post reeks of someone who doesn't know shit about either plunderphonics or shoegaze pretending they know a lot about both

>The actual songs are crap and uninteresting.
But that's not the focus of the music here though. That's like fucking listening to baroque music and saying "b-but where's my visceral intensity! this sucks". Baroque music excels in doling out complex melodic work, not some kind of energetic visceral attack akin to punk or metal.

>I could really give a shit less about amateur hour cut & paste drum samples when artists like Kid Koala and Dilla do and have done it better.
Neither artist messes with their mixes on a track to track basis like MBV does on Loveless though, allowing Loveless to give a new identity to the rhythm section on a per track basis. Neither does DJ Shadow. There's that one track where instead of bass they use like...fuck I forgot what it was it was a recording of something else not even a music thing.

>I could really give a shit less about "pinpoint feedback sampling" when Medicine and The Jesus & Mary Chain combine noise and pop music in a more intriguing and effortless way. At least Slowdive had the decency to write a tune.
Those guys literally do just make generic pop music with feedback guitar noise though. That's not what MBV were doing at all with Loveless. Thanks to how they sample feedback noise, and where the instruments constantly get placed through mixing, there's a weird psychoacoustic effect of flowing textures that other shoegaze/noise rock records don't have.

chose KK & Dilla as they were the first sample-based artists of the top of my head that excelled in percussion. If you wanted me to namedrop obscure plunderphonics artists I would do that.

>Better at combining noise and pop music
>Better at writing pop songs at all
>Fucking Slowdive

Not sure what you're trying to get at here, this is all subjective.

>There's that one track where instead of bass they use like...fuck I forgot what it was it was a recording of something else not even a music thing
Source?
I love this album and if you remember which song it was that's pretty fucking neat

Garbage

>tapeop.com/articles/26/my-bloody-valentine-2/
>"To Here Knows When" from Loveless by MBV
>For the low frequencies — there's no bass in that song — we used a BBC sound effects record and one of the things was a disaster in the distance and it's just the sound of rumbles, or maybe like a nuclear bomb going off and we just had that looped going constantly and then there's programmed drums and they're put through this TC unit, I forget what it's called, but it does dynamics and delay and it's just adds this weird sort of feel to it.
Stupid me was looking at the wrong Tape Op piece on Loveless so I couldn't find it for a bit. Both this article and the other Q/A style one (also with Shields) are worth checking out though if you're a fan.

Agreed, I didn't like even one song on that CD.

>le Piper is the only good Floyd album meme
You're so hipster it hurts

>Extremely gay pointless Mountain Dew turn up abrasive ass music. Glad that crab is dead.

Fucking kill yourself my man

>Neither artist messes with their mixes on a track to track basis like MBV does on Loveless though
This is true but it's not like they were the first or last to fuck around with their mixes track-to-track.

Look, I see your point and you've definitely convinced me to give Loveless (yet) another spin but even when listening attentively and actively Loveless continues to deliver the same thing.

>Do I hear new things on every listen?
Yes, and that's what I'm assuming is a huge draw to the LP. Almost every listen is different.

>Do I enjoy these new elements of the record?
Unfortunately, not really. After about 7 years of listening to the thing, the only things I end up discovering are new layers of noise which must absolutely excite some people and better their listening experience, but I cannot say that I am part of the same group.

I enjoy noise an extremely visceral way of expressing emotion. If I can't feel anything in the first place, it becomes just that.

I can't people call this a classic now like seriously guys
At least the brits say it is

Though I last watched it when I was about 20

I honestly like their more recent stuff much better, but then again, sometimes I have shit taste.

I thought so too. I even thought My Girls was trash at first. Now it's in my top ten.

I can't really explain it. It was my first AnCo album and it just took time. All there is to say really but I understand that they're not for everyone.

I fucking hate ac/dc.

Lou Reed doing a gay voice, you mean?

new fav copy pasta

cringe

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

>britbongs calling AM a classic
what the fuck is wrong with the brits

I find AC/DC good to listen to once in a while, but if I listen to it often I get tired of it because it's extremely repetitive and boring.

I think it's just too happy for me. Idk. I just find it a little tiresome after a while.

I hate Loveless unironically

Granted that album is shit