It's amazing how many movies are based on his works, and how few of them actually get the point...

It's amazing how many movies are based on his works, and how few of them actually get the point. The only ones that at least somewhat "got it" were perhaps Blade Runner (which completely went against the tone of Electric Sheep) and, funnily enough, Total Recall.

What do you guys think?
Also, ITT: list your favorite and least favorite Phillip K. Dick films and what you liked about them.

What about A Scanner Darkly?

you just know...

that was so close to the book it was almost scene-by-scene. isn't much to "get" though.

what do you mean by this?

I'm too fucking stupid for this assignment

But my favorite is original Total Recall,
and least favorite is erm, I dunno I like em all really, total recall remake is an easy choice.

I read the divine invasion recently and it was pretty gud

Also when I read valis the day after I read the chapter with the vescica pisces necklace girl I saw the symbol on a car, VALIS confirmed.

It sticks too closely to the source material without adapting the plot or pacing for a feature film. Thus a lot of important scenes and plot details are left out. If I hadn't read the book, I'd be so lost. It's also badly miscasted around the board.

Most recent adaptation I watched was the low budget, direct to video movie Radio Free Albemuth. It was pretty good, better structured and condensed than Scanner. Acting was mostly poor but the guy that played PKD was perfect. Shame he was wasted on a shoddy project. Also Alanis Morissette is a terrible actress.

Blade Runner and Total Recall are fun. I also liked Spielberg's Minority Report.

Radio Free Albemuth was so bad. The acting and the tone was way off.

> If I hadn't read the book, I'd be so lost.

You can't be serious. Also A Scanner Darkly is the bests adaptation of his work onto the screen. Blade Runner was basically an entirely different story from the book.

I almost completely disagree with you on Scanner. The only miscast actor was Winona.

As for Albemuth, Shea Whigham is a great actor but I don't think his portrayal of PKD was accurate at all. The movie itself just seemed poorly paced to the point where serious scenes came off as nonchalant. I was extremely disappointed considering how long I followed the production and waited for the release.

What's ironic is he died before he could see any of them.

Didn't he receive broadcast from the future according to his exegesis?
Never read it but I think he think people from the future are broadcasting things and some of it is detectable today. That's how he claimed to have inspiration for much of his stuff. And at some point Jesus comes and purge commies.

LSD fried his brain

this is a great underrated flick.

A disproportionate number of his stories have been turned into films that I like.
Total Recal (both versions have merit but Verhoven FTW)
Adjustment Bureau (Emily Blunt yess)
Scanner Darkly (meh but visually interesting)
Next (Cagekino)
Paycheck (thought it was John Woo's 2nd worst film at first but grew to love it)
Blade Runner (it's Blade Runner)
Screamers (cheap sci-fi)
Minority Report (meh, should've been a Verhoven sequel to TR)

It wasn't a broadcast from the future. His idea was that time had come unhinged during the days of the early Christians and that the demiurge was showing us what we interpret as the present even though we are still trapped back there. Also, LSD fried his brain and he was probably schizophrenic. Download a copy of the audiobook but be warned it will put you to sleep.

>Minority Report (meh, should've been a Verhoven sequel to TR)
Oh man. This so much.
I'm sad now.

They were all lined up to do this with Carolco but another film, Cutthroat Island maybe, bankrupted them before they got around to it.

The precogs in MR would have been martian mutants from TR.

>the studio with the rights to Ubik claims it's impossible to adapt to a movie

Can someone explain this to me? It seems like one of the easiest of all his works.

He had communication with Valis, just like John C. Lilly had communication with Ecco, just like x had communication with X. The Universe is an interesting place like that. Communicate with the godhead and interpret it through your own perspectives.

please stop.
;_;