I was listening to Bob Dylan´s album The Times They are a-changin' today, while getting high I have to add...

I was listening to Bob Dylan´s album The Times They are a-changin' today, while getting high I have to add, and I realized something. During the time when artists and songwriters such as Dylan were active there was also an ongoing racial segregation in the United States(i write from the presumtion that the segregation issues came to an end with the 1964 Civil RIghts Act although others might argue that it ended later). Now that you know which time-period I am refering to I'm going to explain my thesis;

Some of the artists and celebrities that was active during the racial segregation stood up for human and civil rights through their works while others did not. I would like to argue that those who did not fight for equal rights should be considered racist. That means that black lives matter activists like Zarna Joshi should, and have the right to publicly shame all still alive public figures that did not stand up for human and civil rights during the 1950-60s.

Is this opinion weird or am I on to something here? Maybe you find this obvious while I have not yet realized to which extent racism acctually plagued the United States until late 60s? Let me hear you discuss this below and please don’t assume that I am writing this to trigger or offend someone…

Sidenote; Bob Dylan or Johnny Cash?

Kill yourself

bump

Once again as I stated above I do not mean to offend or trigger anyone. I'm sorry if I did.

Bob Dylan = Robert Allen Zimmerman

Dylan was a hack.

Go listen to Phil Ochs for a few hours and come back here.

good bait. enjoyable. but obvious, this is more like a shit satirical article rather than bait

Does it matter that he was jewish?

I have already accepted that shitty people with shitty opinions exist so don't even try.

>stood up for human and civil rights through their works
You realize that Bob Dylan does concerts in China, right?

It becomes a question of whether or not your definition of racism is what works, or how effectively you can prove your theory. Seems sort of semantic though. Just because somebody didn't actively protest is that reason to discount their whole career? I think you'll end up sticking foot in mouth so to speak.

if you care this much about racism, or think you are significant enough to actually make even a fart of wind in the maelstorm that is racial politics in merica, then i will hold a moment of silence for you my unfortunate friend

It fucking annoys me that people like you dismisses everything without even trying to have a serious debate. Fuck off.

i don't have the time in my life to waste explaining experience that you will never have because of your stupidity bubble. and for the record, it's the mark of a smart man to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it, i entertained your idea, it was enjoyable bait, like i said, you however can't, my unfortunate friend

Dylan sux
Cash is so cash

Didn't Ochs commit suicide because of Dylan? Ochs felt he would never make it as Dylan was the artist to emerge from the Greenwhich Village scene.

Dylan>Cash

Highway 61 revisited by Cash.

I'm sure that my definition of racism varies from yours since I'm from Europe and I understand your point.

No I am still among us lesser humans that don't speak up their mind or take part in some way in the formation of our societies.

True. Western definition is pretty odd.

It's hard to compare Dylan and Cash. Dylan did what nobody was doing and broke so many barriers in music. He was on another planet.
Why not both? There is a Dylan and Cash bootleg where they record around 25 songs together.

Where race becomes cultural and not just black and white. Btw

You have to understand that I'm open to changing my opinion once you have given me some counterarguements. And please don't take part if you refuse to speak your mind.

We have a pretty desensitized view of bad race relations. Some of the shot we see would have really fucked with people in times with less information. So it's also a question of time. Relativity really.

the world of changes doesn't exist anymore, if current affairs has told you anything it's that the american election is already rigged, so won't be legitimate, then we got trump or hilary, both will ruin america, one will be more entertaining than the other. so why discuss hypothetical questions to aggravate racial tensions anymore? why dig up shit from before you were even alive?

for the record, Cash and Dylan were great friends, they heavily influenced each other, Dylan mimicked Cash's boom-chaka sound and you can hardly compare the two, they're two halves of a great whole, which is the music we have on earh so grow up faggot

Is Zarna Joshi doing anything about Isis? Should I / do I have the right to publicly shame them about not going to Iraq and Syria and fighting them? Should someone shame them 60 years from now for not going?

Fuck off and let people live their lives.

It is becoming harder and harder to believe in anything. Or to believe that what you stand for is right. It's been kind of fucked up already. The economic downturn we just saw and college grads living in cars. It's also a question of relevance to some.

now i'm taking you serious, your opinion is dumb because it brings up shit nobody cares about, you've got to understand all the media shit is just negative stuff, everything is a phenomenon or an outrage, it's just to distract you from the real news, to forget about the shitty things that's going on, and the vacancy of any real government, in any real country that's actually fixing anything. racial politics is stirred up by the media so fucking much to make the active young people feel powerful and like they can do something, to busy them whilst the next 30 years of their future is being ruined for them.

so why do you want to bring up the entire history of racism for us to also deal with on top of all of the shit i just mentioned.

You are absolutely right if we are talking about the political arena. We shouldnt aggravate racial tensions more than necessary in such fragile times. But why should we not be able to speak about this outside the political arena, let's say here on this board.

we can, and we are. this is called freedom of speech. real freedom of speech, not the freedom of speech that has assholes intending to insult.

just switch off dude, read books, educate your mind, that's the only thing worth doing nowadays, we live in a dumb age, you have to disconnect from that, stop staring at adverts on escalators, stop sitting on your phone all day, stop being needlessly dull when you can educate yourself and give yourself a better chance in the world, or give yourself the perspective to enjoy whatever chance you get

The short answer is kys. You are a 21st century SJW drone who has very little idea of what times were like back then.

"Racism" was actually less of an issue pre1964. Its was more about economics and culture and most of America was more homogeneous than now and blacks had their own subculture that many would agree was better than today for a lot of reasons.

Folk music is a particular genre that was steeped in real social justice since the beginning. You cant compare it to other art forms no more than you can compare the Monkees to Led Zeppelin (Monkees were more popular btw) so even asking whos better Cash or Dylan shows you as a sophmoric pothead who really doesnt understand history or music. Sorry, kid

I suppose you could analyze their behavior around race issues, and form a kind of model for avoidance of said situations. Then it might be easier to come to solid conclusions based on your theory.

just want to add to myself, racism was a term coined by leon trotsky. think about that.

No we should not. Why? Because even comparing the issues racism has caused with the threat of ISIS is very much stupid and ignorant.

BLM already tries to shame ANYONE they believe to be against their cause, pretty much ALL whites, so you're point is moot.

Isms are problematic in nature.

I like the faces on the teletubies

Yeah I should probably educate myself some more so that I fully understand the complicity of my questions. Thank you for your input.

depth**