Who is the Kurt Cobain of this generation?

Who is the Kurt Cobain of this generation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4HjfYEevkLM
youtube.com/watch?v=03vrgsEndPI
therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/entertainment/10-shocking-similarities-between-taylor-swift-and-kurt-cobain/
undertheradarmag.com/interviews/2014_artist_survey_owen_pallett/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Grimes

me

youtube.com/watch?v=4HjfYEevkLM

Kid Cudi

Kendrick Lamar

yo i have mad scars on my dick for some reason

Ariel Pink is better than Kurt Cobain in every single way

post pic senpai

Came here to post this

literally this

Stop wanking your dick like every 5 seconds

ITT. Millennials who don't remember the early 90s and just how huge Kurt Cobain was

>overrated retarded faggot that married a cunt and people pretend he's a genius and brought something new to the table

Kanye

Was he the last great rock star?

>dude alternative rock lmao

MEMESTAR

He was the last iconic rockstar along the lines of Hendrix and Elvis.

Jack White and Noel Gallagher have come close

I'm sure John Mayer could have been if he had done some things differently.

i think the guys in death grips think its stefan burnett but i dont know enough about kurt cobain to see the comparison. i mean there are nirvana songs i love. i was thinking about the song milk it the other day especially for some reason but like i havent really gotten what kurt was all about yet i think.

this is hilarious underrated post

he was literally the last true "rock star". the internet killed the rock star. there was always a certain mystique about them, you'd have to learn about them through zines, word of mouth, record store gossip. now with the internet, we have this hyper info highway and social media and paparazzi where there's no such thing as privacy or seclusion and to be a successful musician, you have to indulge in these things to communicate with fans because kids nowadays want to know every detail about their favorite musicians. the internet stripped the mystery and intrigue from the idea of what a rock star should be.

This Jack White is the only one to possibly be anywhere near where Kurt was and I'm saying this since John Peel was obsessed with The White Stripes. Honestly though no one will come close until someone from the punk scene makes it big again that's what made Kurt so special that and his writing. Greg Sage is probably the closest to what Kurt was though in terms of talent. Kurt based a lot of his style off the Wipers,Pixies, and Melvins. BEEN WAITING A WHILE TO POST THIS PIC

There isn't one really. I guess the equivalent would be some well known musician or whatever. Only one I can think of is Kanye because a whole lot of youth culture seems to look up to him for some reason. But truly, there is no modern Kurt Cobain.

Honestly he was a good at marketing the bands image he never gave that much info in interviews everything was up to self interpretation since Kurt couldn't care enough to give people serious interviews unless he felt they understood the scene. In his interview with Narduar he's super weird in the beginning of it and has Courtney pretty much answering all of the questions while Kris makes Sup Forums tier jokes in the background and then Narduar starts to actually go into depth about the music he's into and makes and Kurt opens up. They were a phenomenon and painted themselves like that on purpose. I think we could still achieve that status today people just have to play it right.

nick drake

him

That Narduar interview was really fucking awkward considering he killed himself three months later. I remember when Courtney told Kurt that they should visit the actor who played baby on the Nevermind cover when he's grown up and Kurt doesn't say anything like he knows he won't be alive by then

i honestly don't think so. the sort of infatuation that people had for rock stars in the past is totally dead because of the hyper visibility that all musicians have because of the internet. we can all watch our favorite bands perform on youtube whereas in the past it was like this cool underground thing, trading bootleg tapes of live performances. And rock used to be counter culture but now it's just stale. the entire phenomenon was based on a lack of accessibility to information and that's all defeated now because of the internet

>some things
how about everything

Kanye west

Rock died because it had pretty much run its course. It was declining since the mid 90s and completely bit the dust in the late 2000s after the Indie Folk phenomenon
There's still a lot of underground circuits in the genre but not much to make a dent in the mainstream since people can listen to whatever the fuck they want

That's the thing though Nirvana was a good band that cemented itself in an unknown scene it's why they blew up nobody had heard the "Seattle sound" they shrouded themselves in mystery on purpose and when they blew up there was still so much to find out about them while they found a way to market their music to the mainstream. It can totally happen again however there have to be very specific conditions. Nobody has followed through with it though but I'm sure someone will figure it out Ty Segall was really close to doing it I don't know how he fucked it up I read up on him recently he's a businessman surprisingly and markets his name heavily I think that's why. He sells Vodka,perfume, and clothes. That shit is gay as fuck but I understand a guy has to eat. Kurt did more than just Nirvana though he also helped produce Houdini with the Melvins that album has such a distinct sound to it compared to their other albums. Kurt was just everywhere he had no choice I think he knew it too and played it just right.
Yeah I noticed that he doesn't say anything at all when most people are talking about the future I think Kris and Dave start talking about something in the interview and they're laughing and Kurt just gives the fakest smirk not even saying anything. After his suicide and understanding what was going on that video is just a trip to look at and if you look at early interviews of them during their Nevermind phase you can see just how bad his health got. He looked like a model at one point and just completely loses it. Anthony Kiedis of RHCP talked about being backstage with him while he was destroyed on heroin and then they call Kurt over to play his set and Anthony talks about how it caught him off suprise that Kurt was able to just get up and then play a perfect show he'd never seen anything like it it's mentioned in his book Scar Tissue.

Literally who

So do you know the conditions?

I think it's one of the fags from 21 pilots entertaining the idea he's a musician like Kurt because of the glasses

Yeah I've been really looking into this. Why do you want to know though are you trying to become a rockstar mr.user?

Cares

Not that user, but I think that is a big problem brought on by the information age as well. Everyone is very aware of how Kurt Cobain. or any other rock star, acted or did to become famous. It makes people almost want to act too safe, or go about it in a methodical way. Most of the time these people had no idea if what they were doing would work. Kurt was definitely very careful about his image, but I don't think he was trying to imitate anybody or methodically trying to be famous. Some stuff just has to come naturally rather than planned.

Well, I don't know for sure, I've being getting into heaps of music since coming to Sup Forums and I'm interested with creating something new that alot of people might like.

Yes exactly I don't think he copied an image rather brought up unknown influences and introduced something the mainstream wasn't used to. I think that's part of the obsession along with him being the eternal teenager. He is and always was a kid at heart when you think angst or teen Kurt just comes up at least in my head the man was the epitome of angry teenage rock. It's a bummer though him,Buzz, and Greg sage shared similar playstyles but never got popular like Kurt.

Came here to post this.

This is implying Kurt was impressive, when he wasn't.
Did you know Nirvana started as a bluegrass band?
Subjectively, I love Nirvana. It was a good thing when I was twelve?
Objectively? good luck.

thought that was eminem with kurt outfit photoshopped on which would make sense cuz I think he's the kurt of rap but now that I know it's that douchenozzle I am ANGERY

From what I noticed the second anything interfered with Kurt's art hell broke loose. It happened because he cared as long as you care about your art and soley it alone and have something to introduce it to like a scene that can relate to your music you can do something with it. Following the scene is important too currently in LA our subpop is Burger Records I absolutely despise Burger but if you're a band fresh and new you're able to open no problem and always get a crowd out of it. Kids will buy your merch regardless of who you are because a lot like the scene back then they're absolutely clueless about the music they have the look down but none of them really actually listen to that much music besides FIDLAR, Ty Segall, Death Grips, and Mac Demarco. I've been thinking about this for a while too. It's all about finding the crowd that you can market your image towards. The Burger Kids get rough in the pit and have some energy too at least so there's definitely the chance of building hype. Goner Records though is so fucking cool if I could join a record label it'd be them.

Tyler, The Creator

Yeah they did CCR cover songs in bars along with early early insecticide and bleach work but you know why they got popular they got popular because they understood their surroundings not just how to play music but they knew who to attract. Kurt wrote some pretty great hooks too along with his song writing. His guitar playing isn't impressive by any means but it'd be wrong to say it doesn't catch your ear. How many bands can you say do that only really a handful that I can think of. Bands that leave a mark on history and that can be listened to over and over again. There's so much work too a lot of people only really listen to the 4 main album completely disregarding their live performances or scrapped B-Sides. I personally think Do Re Mi is beautiful and the tongue in cheek use of the phonetics so it sounds like "don't rape me" is smart and being able to pick that up caught me by surprise I'm not saying Nirvana is the only one to do this but they're one of the bands to do this and it's always an experience picking up on things or his influences like william burroughs .

Albini apparently called him a nigger when he was nigging out on a plane with him lmao.

yea, no, I agree with this a hundred percent. Nothing to argue with here.

Tyler has always acted more white than black, if anything Tyler did that shit when he was younger (He's matured more recently somewhat) to be wild as a dumb joke. Some people got the irony, some didn't. Whatever.

His old shit is edgy as shit and he inspired lots of kids to be themselves and not give a shit, like Kurt did

>Has inspired a lot of kids to be themselves
More like has inspired lots of kids to spend hundreds of dollars of their parents money to buy brand clothes like supreme to fit in with the odd future style.

Kurt was musical since he was, like, 6. He became heavily involved in the underground punk scene since he was like 15 cuz he was good friends with buzz osbourne of the melvins. By 18 he started Nirvana with Kris, and they practiced like 5 days a week. They played a lot of shows, somehow Kurt befriended freaking SONIC YOUTH and Kim Gordon got him signed with Geffen. Then the strength of his music got him to where he got. There you go, that's all ya gotta do.

I disagree entirety.
I love OFWGKTA when I was in highschool and hate them now.
Never spent a dime on their shitty merch and now am doing exactly what I want.

>musical since 6th
he was confused by a mic and recorder at that age.
Not musical.
I watched the documentary, too.

Eminem?

He sang and played guitar, exposure is the key even if it's small

sorry he is classified as pop/rock not rap dumbo

He didn't play guitar seriously until he was 14/15 he played drums before that

saved that's gold is it OC?

Kanye, no question about it.
MAYBE Jack White, but I'm still gonna wager Kanye.

Nah Kanye is closer to Bowie both are total culture vultures

Yeah actually this is pretty accurate they were both really into Big Black

Except your average guy on the street has no idea who St. Vincent is. Tons of musicians are influenced by the same things.

They follow a pretty similar pattern but yeah you're right most people don't know her it's a shame she's a pretty decent artist

So, how much stuff do you think Courtney is holding in the vaults? I think a bunch of it is out already, but some stuff is definitely unreleased still. Isn't there supposedly a 4-track recording of Do Re Mi still unreleased?

Eminem in his prime

are you on coke?

So, in order to become a rockstar now, you have to be reclusive and avoid social media. Well shit then, I'm already a rockstar.

youtube.com/watch?v=03vrgsEndPI

therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/entertainment/10-shocking-similarities-between-taylor-swift-and-kurt-cobain/

Frances Bean Cobain

There were bigger rock artists around that time, and after

This is a completely valid point. If John Lennon were alive in the social media era, he would be looked at in the same light as Chris Brown.
Who?
Who?

This desu

Kurt was into Big Black, Annie is into Big Black Cock

No one yet. Might never happen again.

i'm trying to think of someone who wants to kill themself

Eminem

>You are now reading everything in Steve Albini's voice.

Solid meme tho

>For a long time I had this theory: the impossibility of a female Kurt Cobain. What he represents, leaning against the system and yet supported by consumers, there was no woman in the world that could command the masses so utterly. The music industry wouldn't let her. This thing I've been stewing about since I saw Grimes play to 20 people in 2011, and started reading her Tumblr, and then really starting feeling when "Oblivion" came out, is that Claire is the closest thing we have to a female Kurt Cobain, smart enough to understand the system but righteous enough to wall-jump away from it. But also, interestingly, what an inversion her approach is to Kurt's. His pose was anti-establishment, her pose is post-structural. He was rigorous, she is always looking outward, game for genre-experimentation and hilarity. I feel like even if I don't like her music, and I do so far, I will always feel like she's several steps ahead of me, several books ahead of me, and that makes me feel really fucking good. Anyone who gives her grief about anything can kick rocks as far as I'm concerned.
undertheradarmag.com/interviews/2014_artist_survey_owen_pallett/

See
/thread

>I AM this generation's kurt cobain.

Did Elliott Smith fill the role as a Kurt Cobain like figure for a while? Their music was different, but they had many similarities. Of course the outcome was unfortunately the same as well.

hahahhahahahahahahahahaha

Could be. Don't know enough about Elliott Smith to say for certain, but imo there always exists - in the mainstream media's eye - the need for a token bonafide "alternative" rockstar celebrity type for them to fixate on (almost always to that person's direct psycho-social and physical detriment.) In the early nineties that was Kurt Cobain, and right now that person is very obviously Grimes (see ) However the mainstream media's fixation on her didn't start until 2012, so there should be a potential whole list of honestly alt musicians who filled that role during the post-Cobain pre-Grimes era.

I don't know enough about the alternative music scene during that era to assemble a list myself, but I'd be very interested in hearing other people's ideas on who those musicians might've been.

this.

>implying any of these artist are like Kurt
None of them have met the conditions to hold a candle to the man. They're all their own thing.

Danny Brown

I actually think Kanye is more musically talented, and i don't even like Kanye that much. Kurt Cobains melodies are so fucking uninspired and every song sounds so bland.

That thing you wrote that RHCP said is the gayest shit i ever read. "whoooaaa dude heroin so rebellious"

Elliott Smith was a torrent of lyrical and melodical talent, and wasn't THAT famous in his life (he was still famous).
But he more got shoved into a role he eventually got tired of playing and the happier his music became the less people appreciated it in a sense.
Elliott was driven to suicide by being unable to shelter himself with drugs from the abuse he suffered as a child for his own safety, incredibly sad to see someone like him have to go, he seemed like an amazing person and really could've released so much more great music considering that his final studio album has what is in my opinion his best song. On contrast to that all the music by nirvana i've listened to wasn't really all that great.

this

kid cudi

what a beautiful bastard