What is the greatest quote/statement ever made in music? Obviously it's

What is the greatest quote/statement ever made in music? Obviously it's

>Burn down the disco, hang the blessed DJ
>Because the music that they constantly play
>It says nothing to me about my life

Such a perfect lyricist.

im blasting a shit ton of whippets and you just made me want to put on morrissey lmao

>im blasting a shit ton of whippets
please tell me you're under 18

almost 23 senpai desu

im pretty close to killing myself though

i have the sulfuric and formic acid ordered. please motivate me. please. im begging you

not that guy, but whippets are alright.

I think you just need to take aotysf more seriously and you'll be fine.

Sup Forums - Music

>i feel so lonesome, you hear me when i moan

PLEASE HELP ME KILL MYSELF IM WAITING FOR NOTHING

All you need is purpose. Find purpose, and you won't kill yourself. If you feel like you want to die, you just haven't found it yet.

t. someone who was suicidal.

>blasting a shit ton of whippets

OP here, but this is why I believe that my quote is the best and most powerful music statement ever.

Like a lot of people, I got into The Smiths' when I was a teenager, and Morrissey's constant dissatisfaction with the way things are and need for something meaningful and a higher form of honesty and self acceptance pretty much changed my entire view of the world and gave me a deep sense of purpose in life which I still have to this day.

This is why I feel it's pretty pathetic when people say "lol lyrics don't matter," which I hear a lot here. A good lyricist can change someone's entire worldview. I guess this has nothing to do with anything, just rambling.

IM SUICIDAL

I LOVE THE SMITHS

MORRISSEY IS STILL A FAG

LIGHTEN UP MORRISSEY

degenerate

The microphones, mount errie, and modest mouse helped me get over my depression and gradually my days have been getting better. I started looking for a new job and might land one with my friend at a restaurant. I just quit retail after being there two years after highschool. A crush of mine wants to come see me when she comes back from vacation. Hung out with some of my old Friends and had a couple of beers, played vidya. But yeah to anyone out there, make 2017 your bitch and motivate yourself to do something new. Even if it's just to start excercising or picking up a hobby the requires you to be Outside!

>as life gets longer
>awful feels softer
>and it feels pretty soft to me

That's literally one of the worst quotes in music history. Morrisey showing himself up as a bitter, narrowminded (possibly racist), excessively Apollonian narcissist. The sort of lyric a school shooter would write to sate his fantasies of gaining revenge on those people with the gall to have harmless fun. Why hang the DJ? Because he's not playing whinging sadboy crap instead of something people enjoy dancing to? How self-centred.

Much better is "take me out where there's music and there's people and they're young and alive". That sort of yearning for life, not its negation.

The quote expresses a self-aware (from the exaggerated "hang") stance that morissey is attached to what he knows and can't move with the times. While disco-goers can find meaning and fun in the music, he can't, and communicates his spite.

And really, one of the "worst quotes in music history"? Even if you interpreted it as you described it, it's still a pretty good representation of a lot of the smiths' sentiments. Take a fucking chill pill son.

I have no idea what this means. You're not shooting dogs are you?

I see it as a more honest message. Morrissey really always had a yearning for something a little more meaningful, and this also appears in his solo work. As he became older and more blunt, the sentiment could not be clearer:

>Slack-jawed popstars, thicker than pig shit, nothing to convey
>So scared to show intelligence, it might smear their lovely career

"Disco" music doesn't really tend to be very deep, so he's not yearning for "death", but rather to relate and feel understood -- something The Smiths did for a lot of people.

>possibly racist

so it boils down to "stop liking what i don't like"

Very fitting for some edgy Sup Forumstards

As the other user sais, it's sincere. Part of an aesthetic reaction against black American-inspired dance-oriented rock music with its disco and electronic influences which was The Smiths abandoning any rhythmic sense in their own music, eventually leading to the bland horror of Britpop and landfill indie, killing British guitar music while rave, the successor to the people Morrissey wanted to hang, developed a globallly-influential dance sound that is as vital today.

>teachin bitches how to swim

WEELL I NEVER KEPT A DOLLAR PAST SUNSET
ALWAYS BURNED A HOLE IN MY PANTS
NEVER MADE A SCHOOL MAMA HAPPY
NEVER MISSED A SECOND CHANCE, OH NO

I NEED LO-OVE TO KEEP ME HAPPY
I NEED LOOVE TO KEEP ME HAPPY
BABY
BABY KEEP ME HAPPY

One of my personal favorites:
>...because she was old and she would have died anyway

>The Smiths’ pop knockout punch, ‘Panic’ was an explicit declaration of war on the 80s music establishment. Morrissey’s lyrics offered a violent fantasy of Smiths fans rampaging throughout the British Isles, burning discotheques and lynching disc jockeys like some demented indie restaging of the Gordon Riots; a quiffed and bespectacled Barnaby Rudge with a noose in one hand and gladioli in the other. In its rejection of the music that ‘says nothing to me about my life’, ‘Panic’ also contained one of the most profound truisms of SMITHDOM, simultaneously reminding the listener of the soul-nourishing force of the group’s own glorious din.

>Two months later, on 26 April 1986 Morrissey and Marr were listening to Radio 1 in the latter’s home kitchen and heard a news report about the Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident in the former USSR. ‘The story about this shocking disaster comes to an end,’ recalled Marr, ‘and then immediately we’re off into Wham!’s “I’m Your Man”. I remember actually saying, “What the fuck has this got to do with people’s lives?” We hear about Chernobyl, then, seconds later, we’re expected to be jumping around to “I’m Your Man”. And so, “hang the blessed DJ”. I think it was a great lyric. Important and applicable to anyone who lives in England.’

>Clearly aimed at the inanity of mainstream pop of the time, ‘Panic’ was still misread by a minority of detractors in the music press as an attack on black music culture, principally because of the word ‘disco’. While Morrissey’s comments in a September 1986 Melody Maker interview about a ‘black pop conspiracy’ certainly didn’t help matters, Marr immediately rushed to his defence, refuting all such allegations as idiotic. ‘You can’t just interchange the words “black” and “disco”, or the phrases “black music” and “disco music”,’ he argued. ‘It makes no earthly sense.’