Why did Trent lose the ability to write riffs?

Why did Trent lose the ability to write riffs?

_ _
\_(o_o)_ /

mebbe his arms got 2 big so now he cant handle a guitar as well as b4 cus his big meaty fingers and giant muscles get in the way

what do you mean?

tront is bigg

He was more of a synth guy even on stuff like Broken and TDS.

TRENTOSTERONE

Like, Fantano told me his new EP was "bringing back industrial rock with a vengeance". But it doesn't have any memorable riffs. The guitars are drowned-out under choruses and reverbed noises, and they just go 0000-0000-00 0000-0000-0000-00 and then they go bwooom bwooom bwooom bwabwabwabwa over and over and over again and it doesn't pack a punch and it's understated and it barely has a groove.
It's like he's making it underwhelming on purpose.
Meanwhile 3teeth is churning out RIFF after RIFF but fandango doesn't talk about them cause they didn't do IDM movie soundtracks and weren't around in the 90s

Broken was purposely composed mainly on the guitar.

yeah but he could write stronk rifffs back then

The synth backings are still catcher than most of the riffs.

>muh riffs
shut the fuck up, embryo

Someone suggested that he purposely avoided ''hooks'' on this new album, as a kind of challenge.

Is that Brock Lesnar?

*catchier

He's been avoiding hooks for FIFTEEN FUCKING YEARS so that sounds like a bullshit excuse

riffs are truth
riffs are the way

but he hasn't though. HM had hooks, his soundtrack work has hooks.

not big enof

then why is none of it catchy at all?
Isn't a melody called a hook because it's catchy?

there were catchy songs on HM, as were there on The Slip.

maybe if you normally listen exclusively to drone and atmorock

nigga what do you expect? it's NIN, not Dubi Dam Dam. and are you gonna tell me that Discipline isn't catchy?

not catchy enough for me to remember it after it ended

and NIN used to be catchy as fuck in the 90s, back when Trent made riffs

just cuz you can't remember them, doesn't mean he doesn't write riffs any longer. he does.

BOARDS.

his riffs recently have been garbage. but dont bother saying it the nin fanboys on here think trent can do no wrong

show me three (3) recent NIN riffs that are really catchy

OF

KANEDAAA

TRENTSUOOOOOO

wait what do you mean by riffs? strictly guitar riffs?

I'm only asking you for three riffs so yeah, let's keep it to guitar riffs

Discipline
Echoplex
Demon Seed
Various Methods of Escape
Technically Missing

he's never really been that guitar riff oriented, except on Broken maybe

this is just painful, OP

What the fuck is this thread even

he makes contrived art, like my washing machine

Reznor doesn't make riffs anymore

HOLY FUCK OP, that's "recently gained inability to being stopped by something.png", my trent OC!

You just made my day, although I wish I caught that fuckup with his thumbs and the mic before posting it.

kek this one looks great

separation from the freaks who he inspired.

The word you are looking for is "how," and I wouldn't know.

I think your problem is Fantano's shit, inaccurate review. Honestly it's like he makes his mind up on a narrative before even listening to things

Ddin't HM win a grammy or something? It has mass appeal, stop pretending otherwise.

then they are not fanboys because of his riffs maybe
go back to your hip hop crap and your "hooks"

>inaccurate
It's like he has his own taste.

Trent's always been about the hooks though, he's even talked about how he has a pop sensibility and likes to have hooks.

"With Nine Inch Nails I realise that a lot of times my strategy of writing a pop song isn't to start with a hook and mechanically try to make this product that's catchy.

"It's more that I start with a feeling or sometimes a visual, and then I try to dress that visual with sound, and a song comes out the other end. That's probably why my songs aren't that catchy."

a statement like
>bringing back industrial rock with a vengeance
has little to do with taste

>oh wow so did my dishwasher
[spoiler]haha[/spoiler]

Why not? He is just saying he is producing sounds which reflect his taste in industrial rock

>with a vengeance
suggests a level of intensity and urgency that isn't present in the music, or at least not in a way that sets it apart from recent nin albums. the atmosphere and textures are what makes it stand out as different. to clarify, I have no qualms with his score or opinion on the quality of the music, just that his description makes it sound like he is reviewing something completely different

I did not go back to what he said exactly (i'm not ) but, from what I understand, "with a vengeance" may also sound like a way to express some kind of rediscovery with respect to the typical industrial sounds and patterns. He is in fact going back to more radical roots and exploring new territory at the same time. So the vengeance aspect may not be related to the intensity and the heaviness but maybe on additional layering and abstraction qualities his first works didn't have, or didn't express in the same way.
btw your previous post cleared up your position already, but at first saying "inaccurate review" made it sound like you were judging his score / opinion like some poster likes to do..

>with a vengeance

it's just a cliche and indicates lazy, automatic thought. another reason why Fantano is a hack.

ayy senpaitachi what's the best NIN album to listen for somebody who heard nothing from them yet?

Downward Spiral

Oh, i saw the album cover a thousand times already and my subconsciousness tells me this is going to be good. Thanks.

Enjoy famalam

TDS probably.

PHM is good if you're into synthpop or whatever, Broken if you're more into heavier, guitar based music.

nin has never been about riffs

I say the fragile

/thread

>trent will never domestically abuse you
why live?

try spitting on him, repeatedly

this thread is about his music, not your faggy husbando shit, go away

What is Sup Forums's opinion on this after many listens? Still shit?

Still surprisingly great.

Lots of new things I've noticed on She's Gone Away.

I noticed opinions getting better, in general
I really enjoyed since first listen, still trying to fully appreciate She's Gone Away

It's worth not skipping even if you don't feel like being in the mood for it. The Reptile meme aside it's very layered and TF-ish with tons of cool stuff you don't notice immediately.

>It's worth not skipping even if you don't feel like being in the mood for it. The Reptile meme aside it's very layered and TF-ish with tons of cool stuff you don't notice immediately.
Yeah I'm not skipping but it's kinda long with respect to the rest, kind of breaks the mood at the moment. I like eps with tight spaces but this song takes up too much space just in the middle. But yeah maybe i just need some time to appreciate all subtleties

These comics are a goldmine for reaction images

She's Gone Away is same as The Reptile for me, it is the longest track but also usually it draws you in and those six or so minutes feel like two minutes when you notice all the layering, the haunting screams of Trent, it's just a fucking amazing track.

dude come on
it's just a tching-tchong drum beat with a vague stoner riff behind it.
If you suddenly stop ANY track that has a slow buildup you'll also suddenly realize how many layers it has. Doesn't make it amazing.

>If you suddenly stop ANY track that has a slow buildup you'll also suddenly realize how many layers it has

Nah, She's Gone Away has much more going from it, Trent's dead vocals to his screams. There is genuinelly a lot of going on and the feeling that is put on is amazing.

I personally love every track from the album and I can't pick my favorite one.

delusional reznor dickrider. I'm a NIN fanboy and even I wouldn't give the ep higher than a 7.5, I have high hopes for the album though