Why is it that Normies have such terrible taste in music?

Why is it that Normies have such terrible taste in music?
I thought Normies were supposedly superior to robots.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexivity_(social_theory)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The people that make your music are normies

>The people that make your music are normies

AAAHHHHAHAHAH my nig, that was on point like a pen on a sudoku puzzle, bang bang peons, bang fucking bang

whats wrong with that guys biceps?

What are you trying to say here? Feldman was totally a normie

The truth is, robots and normies have the same taste, only robots are unable to recognize the universality of their tastes, which is why they're inferior

are you seeing that strange-ass bicep on the nigga second from the left?
what is going on with that?

>nigga

no

-->greentext
-->frogmeme
stop what you're doing

something something autism unlocks part of the brain to make better music something something neurotypicals don't have this ability something something

ayyyyy

>thats what'll happen if you do steroids kids!

that's true.

we're just hoarders.

The thing is that they are uncritical listeners and consume music purely to fit an occasion or mood. Most normies never pursue music as an end in itself.

hmm

Normies tend to be more concerned with activities which enhance their social value. I.e. "getting swole" for or the daily dose of social media and making sure their instagram is perfect.

Hence they have less time to dedicate to activities which do not increase their social capital, such as listening to music outside of the top 40. And anyway, since all their music is decided for them by the pop charts, it's too easy to just go along with whatever is popular and never actually make a discerning judgement on other types of music.

Didn't we have this thread the other week?

we have this thread every day.

This sounds smart and all, but here's an alternative theory:

There's no significant difference between normies and robots. Some people just happen to be more appealing socially than others. This doesn't mean these people don't have interests and instead only focus on social capital (are you really saying this?); that belief is born of your resentment and jealousy of the people for whom it comes easy.

reeee

this is wrong tho. normies have more variety of what they like on the top 40 compared to the kids on Sup Forums who worship the top rated albums from p4k or Sup Forumscore

i know plenty friends who listen to the top 40 and hate drake/weekend but think taylor swift and that shawn guy is top tier.

stop being jealous of normies

have you ever left your house? normies do tend to have more commonplace interests and tastes

I've yet to meet a Type 3+ Normie

I'm not even popular myself, but my popular and very well adjusted friends listen to a wider variety of music and better music than Sup Forums, totally honest. Maybe it's because we're 23ish, making us older than most of Sup Forums lol.

lol

Have you? That's what I always wonder when people contradict me on this. I also live in Portland, maybe that's a factor... but I really doubt it; people are people

>we

I've met multiple. Meet people out of high school, it helps

I don't actually understand this post. We meaning my friends and myself...

I'm a failed normie and my work involves being around normals all day long. Their taste is abysmal. The ones who claim to like music also have abysmal taste. The normies I've met in my childhood and during school also generally had abysmal, non-developed taste. The few people I've met who actually had somewhat developed interest in music where actual musicians or weirdos
You're Portland friends are probably hipsters or they don't have as much of a good taste as you think they do :^)

Sup Forums is one of the most normie boards here

My two portland bros I'm referring to mostly listen to jazz. One is a good pianist as well, plays shows and stuff. Still a normie. At work, I've talked to two people about music. One's really into Sup Forumscore. The other I talk to about delta blues, mostly, but he also likes a lot of metal. How are these guys all pleb? They all seem normal enough to me. I think you underestimate people. Sure, people listen to pop. But everyone? Most people even? I don't think so

no thats /fit/
they unironically only listen to edm

>Have you?

he asked you first. you have a totally delusional view and i would have to imagine you haven't socialized much in your life

normies do have terrible taste in music. why do you think the top 40 looks the way it does? because of all us mutants? use your brain

mind telling us your taste?

>He doesn't understand how capitalism cheapens the quality of entertainment regardless of any individual's preference
And sure dude, if you want me to answer the question, I have and I have plenty of friends. I'm not denying people listen to pop music. I originally responded to It's simply ridiculous to assume "normies" can't be as in to strange music as anyone else

James Ferraro, Dean Blunt, OPN, Arca, etc

>Some people just happen to be more appealing socially than others.
I don't think normies just 'happen' to be more appealing. They develop better social skills from an earlier age, allowing them to fit the mould of what is normal or expected of them in society. In order to keep their place in their social circle, it is necessary for them to conform to what the group deems acceptable music. And since the group exists because they conform to every aspect of the social norm, anything outside of the norm (i.e. what people immediately recognize from the top 40 on the radio) is thought of as 'weird'. So normies by definition can only like what is normal music, which is determined by the pop charts and the radio.

Normies probably do have interests but these interest will almost always be based in increasing social capital in some way or form. Notice how their instagram or snapchat feeds are full of activities, but they feel the need to take a picture and let all their friends know that they engage in the latest trend.

Ok, but Taylor Swift and Shawn Mendes are both pop artists and featured heavily on the radio and pop charts. Normies can distinguish between one pop artist or another, but I bet none of them will actually explore a genre that they like in its own right, or spend time researching and engaging with the music and the artists influences. You can ask any normie "what's your favourite artist?" and they will always respond with someone who is popular and known by everyone.

see my first reply

>capitalism cheapens the quality of entertainment
free market delivers what people want to listen to
if the majority of the population had a keener interest on music, top 40 radio would play more patrician shit

Every post like this ITT just reminds me of high school. Honestly (no one will ban you) do you guys really think you have the authority to talk about variation in people's tastes when you're still used to the strict social rules of grade school?

It's quite simple.

>. Normies can distinguish between one pop artist or another, but I bet none of them will actually explore a genre that they like in its own right
are you kidding me? neither does fucking Sup Forums
half our threads are people asking for recs after liking some Sup Forumscore album. people hear are so scared of just jumping in and exploring an artist disog or even the genre without somebody spoonfeeding them whats "good" or highly rated majority of this board doesn't know anything about genres.

normies/hipsters/r9k are all the same fucking shit.

some people take an advance interest in certain hobbies and some people don't.

No, it appeals to the most common denominator, which is going to be simpler than anything complicated that someone likes, though everyone likes some complicated things. Most people are patrician in some way, just not the same way, so it doesn't get the same traction. There are more ways to be patrician, but more universal ways to be pleb.

>neither does fucking Sup Forums
see
>Sup Forums is one of the most normie boards here

i agree

it appeals to niches when there's demand. it's all supply and demand, really. most radio stations will play trash all day long because that's what most people are interested into. yet you will find the odd one out playing classical or jazz or leftfield electronic, because these are somewhat decent sized niches (again, supply and demand). the people into seriously bizarre shit like harsh noise or whatever will not be appealed to by major broadcasters because they're such tiny demographics
top 40 only reflects the interests of the majority of listeners

Of course social conduct changes after high school, but normies tend to retain a lot of their behaviours in order to thrive in their next environment. And I was talking about the stereotypical, absolute normie in my post. Obviously the absolute normie is quite rare depending on the environment, but I think I have accurately described the absolute normie that might be found at college or univesity (18-26 years old). However, most people engage in normiedom not absolutely but to a varying extent so will have space for deeper tastes and interests depending on how much they are concerned with their self-image.

People do circlejerk over certain albums that they like, but I don't think it's fair to say that people here listen to the same 5 albums on repeat. Other people give them recs that are in-line with the Sup Forums consensus, but that doesn't mean that people don't listen to other music outside of what they discuss on Sup Forums. How could we possibly deduce someone's entire music taste from an anonymous post on a Korean lizard breeding forum?

you're assuming Sup Forums is representative of non-normie taste
that's half-true

Normies don't know they're Normies

What I mean though is that it doesn't reflect the interests of the majority of listeners, but reflects what's /minimally/ interesting or tolerable to the majority of listeners. Like, everyone can dance to top 40 if they're drunk. That's why it sells. Not because the majority of people think it's the best music. Lowest common denominator.

In any case though, I would say the existence of jazz and classical radio does say something good about the taste of "normies". Classical and jazz are pretty patrician, a lot of the time. I've also heard noise on independent radio. My classical station also has a modernism program every week. There's variety in mainstream tastes, that's all I'm saying anyway.

that has nothing to do with what i said or with what you claimed. you are fucking autistic

normies have inferior taste. i know that enrages you for some reason. i guess because you hate the idea of robots or mutants feeling superior. but it just happens to be an obvious fact

and again, you're the one who seems like they've never been outside. go and try to spark up a conversation with normies about any artist who isn't currently popular. they will not know what you're talking about

that very much depends, in alot of cases they really aren't

You act like robots don't have bad taste too. It's not that I need to defend normies so much, it's just there isn't a significant difference, really. I know weird people with good and bad taste, I know normal people with good and bad taste.

I'm also struggling to identify what I said that had nothing to do with what you claimed, or even what exactly you claimed.

>I know weird people with good and bad taste, I know normal people with good and bad taste.

So what you're saying is that your personal experience doesn't match up perfectly with a general truth.

I don't really see how that's an argument.

>So what you're saying is that your personal experience doesn't match up perfectly with a general truth.
Struggling to see where you got that. I'm pretty sure it should be default to assume one's social standing doesn't affect their taste in music, and I have no reason to believe otherwise yet thanks to anything you or anyone else ITT has said. My personal experiences support my theory too.

so lemme ask, since this thread has these complex conversations that range through many different ideas in pretty precise ways, why do it on Sup Forums forums? you are either pretty darn intelligent and above stupid shit like Sup Forums, or you are a poser with an inferiority complex, so yeah hit me back plz, me no conversate with the fakes...

>Struggling to see where you got that.
>My personal experiences support my theory too.

If you have something to convey, go right ahead. I have no idea what you're trying to say, unless "I concede"

Because I wouldn't want to attach my name to such negativity, mostly

>why do it on Sup Forums forums?
because Sup Forums is anonymous and you usually get instant replies. Majority of arguments let say on fb/twitter usually just turn into somebody losing then his/her friends come in to like the losing persons argument then it turns into a personal attack.

damn, you guys are smart, that was a flawless 2fer, like that was on point, poised, and level headed, sorry to interrupt your enjoyment, no sarcasm intended whatsoever.

>He doesn't understand how capitalism cheapens the quality of entertainment regardless of any individual's preference

Am I wrong?
See:

Because my normie friends are too dumb to- OH WAIT UH NEVER MIND

Don't you have sonichu comics you need to work on?

t. neet starved of human interaction

serge is not a normie. He is an emotionless automaton

ideology and social spooks (itt)

anonymity and ephemerality tempered by a virtually unrestrained posting culture produces interesting content on both sides of the spectrum of quality, or in other words Sup Forums is more than Sup Forums (culture)

>ideology and social spooks (itt)
I'm dumb but curious, what do you mean by this?

Maybe normies have shit taste because they all need to conform to their social group's mentality, and the group tolerates whatever is on the radio top 40?

I don't think normies necessarily have "good" or "bad" taste, they just have no taste. They do not discern in favour or against any kind of music because they don't need to - they can just listen to the top 40 like everyone else and be content to fit in with the social norm.

hes a psuedo hack who browsed /lit/ once

Normies that are into music though, would develop tastes other than that, just as robots that aren't into music would generally have top 40 taste

Honestly though, maybe this conversation is going in circles by now. I'm not sure how this will resolve.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexivity_(social_theory)

as much sociologically as epistemologically

yes (no)

Huh, I don't see how it relates but I may not understand. Interesting though. How do I into sociology?

this is exactly it

why retards find that point hard to understand, i have no idea. probably just contrarians

I get your point. I think that extreme normies don't into music, but a lot of normies do have other interests and their taste would probably develop past the top 40.

We can't just split up all of humanity into normie and robot. Therefore those people who aren't full-blown normie probably take the time to develop their music taste. It all depends on how you categorise people really, those at the very top of the social circle don't have time for anything other than social media and partying but there must be people who are still normies but not as dedicated.

Damn... Really made me think

>We can't just split up all of humanity into normie and robot.

they're memes you dip

>those at the very top of the social circle don't have time for anything other than social media and partying
because they make money off that man.
its called supply and demand. if listening to free jazz and hosting shows for that shit was the biggest money maker everybody would be doing it.

all these ppl get paid to party and promote some shitty tea on their social media accounts

i wonder where you fall on the spectrum

i find that to be absolutely without question the exact opposite of the truth in nearly all cases.

if you aren't noticing other people change to enhance social status, you are not hanging out with other people. That, and you aren't doing it yourself (bad move). I don't recommend becoming a fake person just so people like you, But it is very important and useful to not be a complete pariah

>normies and robots
jesus christ, I had almost forgotten every third poster on this board is an /r9k/ crossposter. it does explain the constant insecurity, though

but to answer your question, "normal" people have other shit to do and value music as much for its social value (i.e. as an experience you can share with friends) as anything else. thus they tend to more popular music to have a common ground with other people they meet. it's also more accessible, and easier to digest when it's not their main focus. there's also the tyranny of choice which keeps a lot of people from bothering to look further than what's most popular.

I'm sure you knew all of this, but were just looking for an ego boost from likeminded bitter outcasts telling you that you are, in fact, more intelligent than everyone, and the fact you enjoy seminal, well-known underground albums is ample evidence of both that and your individuality

for what it's worth, I know many people who you would describe as "normies" who probably have infinitely more interesting taste than you. thankfully being autistic isn't a prerequisite for having interests

i mean yeah but we're still pretty socially autistic