Preacher

What do you guys think of this show? I just watched the series premiere on my DVR. Never read the comic.

Think it will be the next hit, or will Supernatural and WD keep the spotlight?

Other urls found in this thread:

3.bp.blogspot.com/_rzdB5a4kLAo/SLiWiAp8EXI/AAAAAAAAHu8/zgMaxZLIsRw/w1200-h630-p-nu/Arseface.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=hub967uvg-c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Will get cancelled after first season, probably to weird for normies

Watched the first episode then started reading the comics.
I'm at book 3 and holy shit the filler is real.
I can see why people would be mad at the changes already tho.
Is there only 3 episodes planned what the fuck is this ?

Do you have a summary about what is going on?

Doom Cock

DOOM Cock

It's enjoyable. Preacher and Cassidy are great. I'll definitely watch the rest of the season.

...what

I spoke to the writer of the comics, Garth Ennis, a couple of years ago and he told me that he read the script of the pilot and he said that he loved it so I was looking forward to series. After seeing the changes to the series made in the Pilot, I have to say they range from sensible to baffling. I believe that the most important aspect of the series that the show should get down is the three main characters of Jesse, Tulip, and Cassidy and the series has about half of them right. In the comics, Jesse Custer is a disillusioned preacher and is basically a Western Cowboy stereotype who has a strong sense of justice, honors his marine corps veteran father, values friendship and brotherhood, and protects women to a fault. His mission is to find God and have him answer for the crime of abandoning his Creation. In the television series, Jesse Custer is a preacher who has trouble with his faith and seems to be preaching in order to atone for some past sin and uphold a promise made to his father. He knows he's not good at his job, but does his best to protect his flock like a woman who was being beaten by her husband. The first season seems to be focusing on Jesse helping his parishioners as a preacher, but I suspect it will end with him abandoning this role once it has been revealed God abandoned his creation and he will set out with Tulip and Cassidy to find God. This makes sense for television since they could film all their scenes in one location and they can allow for episodic content. It can also add some character development for Jesse and show different facets of his personality. This change I'm fine with if they go the route I think they're going with since the character is basically the same, but with potentially more development.

However, Tulip was probably the worst character that has been changed in the series. In the comics she was Jesse's girlfriend who was very good with guns, but hated them because her gun-nut father was killed in a hunting accident. She and Jesse had some wild times when they were dating and did several criminal activities together which were mainly grand theft auto. However, Jesse had to abandon her suddenly after members of his family threatened to kill her and she resented him ever since until they reunited. After the series began its road trip parts, Tulip acted as the more level headed member of the trio and frequently clashed heads with Jesse over his overprotectiveness of her because she was a woman. In the t.v. series, Tulip is now black(which I don't mind) and is Jesse's ex-girlfriend, though they meet regularly. She is also still involved in the criminal underworld and can Macgyver a bazooka out of bean cans that can take down a helicopter. I believe the writers are trying to turn her into a badass woman stereotype, but their attempts come out as schlocky and over the top and have Jesse and Tulip already be established ruins the emotional impact of the Family Reunion arc (if they go that route).

Cassidy is the final member of the trio and was originally an Irish vampire who is Jesse's best friend who saved him and Tulip on more than one occasion and is generally a wiseass. However, it's later revealed that he's another kind of vampire that drains people by ruining their lives through drug addiction and manipulation. He also always wears sunglasses because his eyes are ruined by decades of drug use. The show keep's Cassidy's humor and has Cassidy use drugs(but not in a negative light), but he doesn't always wear his trademark sunglasses. He now is hunted by vampire hunters and is part of some secret vampire society that sends him money. While Joseph Gilgun is perfect as Cassidy, I don't like the direction they're going with the vampire hunters. Cassidy always struck me as a parasite who not only lived by sucking blood of his victims, but survived by getting others hooked on drugs and leeching off of them. The vampire hunters could be nothing more than a B-Plot and the sleazier aspects of Cassidy can be shown later after he establishes his friendship with Jesse, but we'll see. Plot-wise, the thing I'm most worried about is the implication that Genesis is extra-terrestrial in origin. In the comics, Genesis was born from the consummation between an Angel and a Demon and fell from Heaven itself which is somewhere in our atmosphere, but the opening shot shows it comic from somewhere in our Solar System. Deblanc and Fiore in the show--who are originally angels in the comic--also seem more like men in black than hosts of Almighty God. In an interview, Garth Ennis said that an adaptation of Preacher shouldn't be so beholden to his comics. While I agree with that, I feel this show has many changes that are antithetical to the spirit of the original comics. I'll still watch it to see how it progresses, but I'm not sure I'm going to like what i see.

So who in the world is Cassidy supposed to be? A demon? What was the thing that makes pastors blow into bits?

Scratch my questions.
Do you think the reason they're going subliminal with the Angels and Demons is because AMC doesn't want to seem similar to Supernatural?

Fellow comic reader here, haven't seen the pilot yet but it took a while before the "cassidy being both a literal and metaphorical soul sucker" aspect was really beaten in, so the show might have that crop up later.

>What was the thing that makes pastors blow into bits

Genesis. The child of an angel and a demon which is more powerful that God, which is why God has gone A.W.O.L.

It "killed" the other church leaders because it was searching for a suitable host by entering their body.

So it's Garth Ennis' take on a Nephilim that became more powerful than God.

Except it's not a Nephilim. As far as I know a Nephilim is from an angel and a human.

Regardless, the "thing" inside the preacher has God scared shitless and made him go into hiding.

Jesse has now fused with the offspring making him very powerful and can now use the "word of god" by forcing actions through speech. Which is why racist cop dad sodomizes himself with his own severed penis when the preacher tells him to "go fuck yourself".

Djinn would be proud.

The point when you realized that Ennis knowledge of jewish/christian mythology is zero.

>Which is why racist cop dad sodomizes himself with his own severed penis when the preacher tells him to "go fuck yourself".

That´s edgy as fuck

why is there a week skip???

Th point you realise no one ever gave a shit.

Just an observation. I love productions where the themes of Christianity/Judaism gets twisted into a personal concept or different theme with creative bits (Supernatural, Preacher, Bayonetta, etc.) So I just thought Id ask. I love it so far and I hope it keeps going. Cassidy seems like a joyride.

The point is that he doesnt realize what he commands is taken into a literal sense. Like when he tells the guy with glasses that he needs to open up to his mom and show her his heart.

The bazooka, women are strong speech and the violence generates violence speech he gave to the kid were the worst parts

>comic about christian mythology
>dont give a shit

God of War games are more accurated to mythology than Preacher. Even bayonetta and Supernatural keep their background working closer to Christianity/Judaism pantheon

Really I cant understan why Ennis in Hellblazer is more accurated but in preacher he dont give a fuck.

I never read the comics, but I thought the first episode was interesting.

99% sure that everything is wrong from the comics. Also there's no way that Tulip O'Hare is black in the comic. Arseface makeup was good though.

>violence generates violence speech he gave
>worst

why?

Barely made through the pilot. Stopped half way. Cringe and edgy shit throughout. AMC is truly horrible

arseface was supposed to look like this

3.bp.blogspot.com/_rzdB5a4kLAo/SLiWiAp8EXI/AAAAAAAAHu8/zgMaxZLIsRw/w1200-h630-p-nu/Arseface.jpg

>99% sure that everything is wrong from the comics

Yep. That's the way of things now. Source material is merely a "rough guide" to TV shows.

The problem with Tulip is that they not only changed her race, but they changed her personality too.

Neat.

I bet they changed it for the whole "realism" look. Making it seem more like a bekievable deformity or some shit.

Garth Ennis is the high father of edgy comics tbqh, but he can make it work most of the time

Its a fan thing, not official

Also, they throw the comic design because they wanted arseface to be more expresive/cute

Maybe because that's not important at all to the plot?

came across as being too edgy without the campy charm like Cassidy scenes had

and he was based on James Vance youtube.com/watch?v=hub967uvg-c

I can see why. He doesn't let it get to him. Good for him. He's an upbeat kid.

read that it was the makeup test from HBO

... is Transmetropolian next?

Please no...

The whole plot revolves about the concept of god hidding because this whole supernatural force is more porwerful than him and Jesse seach for god.

Ennis could looked for another and better explanation instead of "well, an angel and a demon fucked and now they have a baby and now is more powerful than god"

This is honestly why I haven't read the comics. I'm a Christian and it's fine if someone wants to critique the religion or finds fault with the ideas. But a fundamental misunderstanding of the rules takes me out of the story and makes me find fault with the way things are portrayed.

Doom
Cock

I am very upset at the changes from the comic.

The characters look all wrong.

Why wasn't Jon Bernthal playing all of them?

Its fun when you watch evangelion or play xenosaga and realize a jap can understand better rules & myths of jewish/christian pantheon than an atheist like Ennis.

I just take it with a grain of salt.
Not the time to be all preachy (pun), but it's our jobs as Christians not to get so butthurt over things like that.

> Evangelion
> understanding christianity
> not just superficial imagery for window dressing

I guess it'll be like the Hannibal series. Pays homage to the canon, but is its own thing. I'm ok with that.

I see what you did there.

Would be cool if in Punisher series he gets drugged by Jigsaw or whatever and his hallucination is Frankworld.

It's like a buncha the other Christfags out there have never heard of "turn the other cheek".

Ya, I kinda get that, and I really do try to not get salty when I think a show is misrepresenting Christianity. I may go back and give Preacher a read/watch

I thought it was pretty gud...
My only memories of the comic was it being really over the top action and cheese, and the pilot was pretty over the top action and cheese so I don't see the problem really.

>His mission is to find God and have him answer for the crime of abandoning his Creation.

what;s wrong with this?

This turns out as I write this it's a play by play of most scenes as I watch the episode...

Why did they add in Genesis actively choosing America over Africa / Russia, and any other country / race - Did I miss this in the comics, are the writers actively racist... a drunk, beat American Preacher is better than anyone else... what's with the 'manifest destiny'??

Jesse and his tunnel vision on violence speaking to the kid; feels like a weak character choice. Why not him just present those options without the oversold trauma - soliciting to dumb audiences, feels like.

Cassidy is a servant on a chartered plane ride [of vampire hunters] who use real booze and weed (to avoid detection, to give a solid ambush once they hit sunlightt??) and any other drug we assume they consumed before they engage in a fight with a vampire... something they abhor and look to kill. - surely knowing how tricky that can be??? - not my plan on fighting a vamp.

Waitress out acts anyone else in the episode.

For Starr, they find an actor shorter than Jesse, who imo is a little less physically 'long' than he should be. That's not fair though, as the actor playing Jesse I assume is taking care of business with the scripts and direction provided.

OST kills.

Tulip kills; if they follow through are find the realness / why she is what she is, cool... Her fight scenes are weak as fuck though - fantasy stuff. Chatting with the kids and Shang-ri-las are playing in the background, smooth!

Who had the better reveal of vampire?
I reckon the comic, Cassidy in a hole and getting a cow at a 1m distance is a bit much. xo.

Tulip, black character that's stuck to crime; "I'm sorry Jesse.. we did what we did, we are who we are and that's it... we are who we are" versus a white character that is 'forced' / resisting / hesitant to be, into crime while being a Preacher. By changing race and adding in those pre-existing relationships and dialogues between characters lessens a (whilst ignoring race) Tulip

God forced the coupling.

God wanted a being that could be his greater to worship him regardless, because the God in Preacher is a needy bitch seeking approval and praise.

Man, 90% of Evangelion drew from weird jewish/christian mysticism. The average person has no idea about the weird apocryphal writings of angels and shit. So it's a little unfair to imply that

I was really offended by the portrayal of God in this... but whatever. That's just the structure of this fictional world. I have my own faith and concept of God and alternate contrary view works as a contrast that can cement my own.

AMC wants it to fail so they can fill the slot with a 4th walking dead show

Anno is on record as saying he did it for the visuals, it wasn't deep into it, it was shallow as fuck. Google it.

Why wasn't there a second episode last Sunday... that was some faggot shit mate,
AMC should have waited until next week to premiere or made the first episode a longer mini-series two night thing instead of making people wait half a month to figure out what's going on.

Still better understanding of jewish/christian mythos, rules and imaginery than preacher.

uh huh.
sure it was.
They totally didn't find some Kaballah pamphlet and toss in some random shit off some Christian website or something.

everything

>Why did they add in Genesis actively choosing America over Africa / Russia, and any other country / race - Did I miss this in the comics, are the writers actively racist... a drunk, beat American Preacher is better than anyone else... what's with the 'manifest destiny'??

probably some pure of heart shit. the black guy instantly become full of himself and called himself a prophet, tom cruise was a joke that he knows his religion is illegitimate, don't remember the other. a priest? they made a priest kid rape joke so that was probably the problem there.

Preacher isn't about actual Christianity.
It is about the funhouse mirror version so many Americans have made of Christianity.

the russian was a satanist priest

His entire approach to Eva summed up in a single image.

>God wanted a being that could be his greater to worship him regardless, because the God in Preacher is a needy bitch seeking approval and praise.

It´s OK to have a particular vision god on this comic.

But there is a stablished mythos, this is pretty much if in the next starwars we make luke fuck Chewbacca we will have a force more powerfull than the force. Get it? Ennis could do a better reseach and check the kabbala for Adam Kadmon, shekinah or any other similar force to god on jewish/christian myths instead of "offspring of a demon and an angel"

>Not muh Bible
So?

I saw the interview, he is talking about the title in that caption and recognize he choose christianity because of visuals/icons.

Still he did a better resarch than Ennis on preacher

And Eva was dogshit whilst Preacher was good.

Do you have a point?

Nobody say is about christianity
the issue with christiany in preacher is not about how is presented, but how poorly reseached becomes on whole series.

>It's ok to have God be different
>So long as it all stays the same

>impliying Adam Kadmon or Shekinah are on the bible

Typical ennis/preacher reader.

Now ask me if I care.

Soooo let me get this straight... You're triggered that a comic depicting God as vain, self serving and downright evil, isn't a fair representation of your faith...?

I hazard a guess it wasn't meant to be.

>And Eva was dogshit whilst Preacher was good.

Not him, but Preacher aged really bad, did you read it recently? Stinks of 90´s edgyness. I dont like the changes on the show, but I can understand why they choose to take a diferent path with it.

Evangelion aged better.

Preacher certainly has that, but Eva was always dogshit.

Memorial Day.

Arse-face off the bat.. Fuck that, who shoots themselves in the face without sucking on the gun (let's see those pictures xx). Bonus, I want to Not look at the subtitles and Not know what he's saying. Don't give us the GoT Peter Dinklage, beautified experience with our 'freak' character; gun-to-mouth-blouw-blouw! Lewl, he has some unrelated skin scarring above his right eye... Unless some pellets dodged his eye in the process - Also, there are no exit wounds on Arse-face... He shot himself with a weak ass gun, to his mouth, which scarred himself but left him fine otherwise (aside from the bumpy patch above his left eye). HOW DO YOU SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE MOUTH WITHOUT A SHORT SPRAY OF ACID TO RESOLVE THE SAME RESULT... xoxox?

Cassidy regenerates, how fast exactly? Secret agent Cassidy, no thanks (at this time..).

Fight scene cool, Cassidy bar-stool-kick-bottle-toast-kills.

Cassidy & Jesse in jail, tick-plus-plus. That's the universe right there!

Car ride, reinforces that the waitress kills it again - I wrote that before she killed the ipad, afterwards, it was even better!..

Oh.. genisis is wating for Jessie............................. "gay-lord", "wait as the lord of the gay washes your gay feeet". - this is no necessary. Cheers current 'America'.

We know that TV can bleed narrative-blood from a stone... and theres' nothing wrong placing a narrative somewhere else along the time-line, but... fuck AMC from putting 'their' narrative in front of the fucking adventure that Preacher deserves...

btw, he misses his heart by a half foot...

I'm going to steal every episode off-'a-'bay; xoxo

'fuck communism'

>you're triggered that a comic depicting God as vain, self serving and downright evil, isn't a fair representation of your faith...?

No, I´m dissapointed. Ennis did a great research of christian myths on his Hellblazer run. Is difficult to me to take Preacher background seriously because the whole thing of a "more powerful entity" than god can be handled better if he did a good reseach. Feels fake.

Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark did a great work with research, feels real even if takes myths of jewis lore.

>Supernatural WD
pleb shows how can you even watch this soap opera bullshit

>A comic
>Feels fake
What else is new.

>I can't take this satire seriously
A major character is called arseface.
You're taking it seriously.

Genuine queston, are you autistic?

The plot of god leaving is OK
the excuse is poorly executed.

>no way that Tulip O'Hare is black in the comic
whaaa?

Would you rather he just went for a nice Holiday then came back to spread rainbows?

>autistic
>defend shitty comic flaws

whatever

Not christian here, no clue what you're arguing

Tulip is awful. Everything minus Tulip was good / promising.

jesus , i hope they cancel it fast because it looks like they're butchering it damn hard

Then why do you care this fiction doesn't research another fiction enough?

Well, the difference being that in this fictional work, God is provably real and has really abandoned creation, and Jesse Custer is filled with weird religious energy.

is it supposed to look like the church building is a revolver pointed at his face?

Legit, but that by making those scenes they make a comment on that... I'd rather they had spent that time giving 'great' representation to our pre-existing characters

>no Saint of Killers
INTO THE THRASH IT GOES!

Jesse is the embodiment of edgyness and angst of 90´s. I read it back then, was awesome but now I can´t read it now without cringe

>jesse's congregation is still alive
>they will be stuck in texas the whole season, ignoring grandma marie
>no road trip across america to find god
>eyes don't turn red when using the word

it's another WD

You sound like a real faggot desu

>the Saint of Killers wasn't in the first episode so obviously he'll never be on the show

Does the assfaced kid die soon? Looking at him makes me physically uncomfortable.

wuhh duhh yuhh kuhh yuhh suhh?

I'm afraid not. Honestly I was a little disappointed by his portrayal in the show. I pictured him being much uglier.