The Rolling Stones vs The Beatles

which is better? what's the best by each?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hPrklRwn1HE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Stones are way better from 69 and on

Between The Buried And Me

Rolling Stones is superior. The Beatles were still good but their fame is largely due to the whole boy band thing and the mad hype.

I don't know about the best Rolling Stones song but Paint it Black is probably my favourite, even if it is the pleb choice.

probably due to the fact that the beatles didn't record any music from 69 on

lol

>15 year-old me: they both suck!
>16 year-old me: ROLLING STONES ARE AMAZEBALLS BEATLES ARE A BOY BAND
>17 year-old me: Exile On Main St. best album evar!
>18 year-old me: >implying I listen to dadrock
>19 year-old me: the fact that so many books still name the Beatles
>20 year-old me: Let it Bleed is *actually* the best Stones album, Beatles are overrated IMO
>21 year-old me: Yoko Ono is my favorite Beatles
>22 year-old me: Beggar's Banquet is *actually* the best Stones album, Beatles are still overrated
>23 year-old me: *finally actually listens to an actual Beatles album*
>24 year-old me: Revolver and Rubber Soul are okay, everything else is trash
>25 year-old me: Okay, Beatles are great, but the Stones are better
>26 year-old me: Beatles and Stones are equal; Stones have better hits, Beatles have better albums
>27 year-old me: Okay yeah fine the Beatles are clearly better than the Stones in pretty much every respect
>28 year-old me: Actually the Stones are kind of underrated, and it's closer than a lot of people think.

>oldfag

who cares who is better?

no one is stopping you listening to both.

y are u even on Sup Forums

jumpin jack flash gets my pick

Eh, honestly I think they've aged both just as well for the most part.

Stones. Not even a question.

Between the Buttons is best Stones

1. The Velvet Underground
2. The Rolling Stones
3. The Beatles
4. The Kinks
5. The Zombies
6. The Beach Boys

I Am Waiting is currently my favorite song. between the buttons is currently my favorite album

Paint It Black would be the 120th best Beatles song.

The Stones have aged terribly. They sound like typical 70s dadrock. The only relevance they carry is marching bands playing Paint It Black and Jagger's name getting dropped because it rhymes with swagger. I seriously haven't met a single Rolling Stones fan under 30, something I can't say for any other major classic rock band.

whereas the beatles just straight up don't have fans anymore

other than, like, everyone.

the VU and Rolling Stones are for intellectuals, whereas the Beatles and Beach Boys are for idiots/kids

(not true, by the way)

>the whole boy band thing

what, you think girls didn't wet themselves over jagger/brian/keef too

1. The Velvet Underground
2. The Rolling Stones
3. The Zombies
4. The Beach Boys
5. The Kinks
6. The Beatles

if anything even moreso. the beatles r ugly

>the VU
>for intellectuals

>heroin
>drugs
>TOO BUSY SUCKIN ON MY DING DONG
>meth
>heroin
>prostitution
>BDSM
>human mail story that could've been written by a middle schooler

i like the cut of ur jib

Of course they did, but there's still a difference between being a boy band and being male musicians with female fans.

faggot

and what made the beatles a boy band and not the latter

Who cares how they got their fame? The point is they very quickly matured and started experimenting heavily with their drugs and their music, churning out masterpiece after masterpiece. I love the Stones but they have never come close to Revolver, White, Rubber Soul, MMT, Abbey Road, etc. They would be the first to admit that, Jagger has always acknowledged that after their early days of chart battling, The Beatles soon outgrew them and left them miles behind.

Imagine the Stones being the ones to record:
>Strawberry Fields Forever
>I Am The Walrus
>Love You To
>Sun King
>Tomorrow Never Knows
>Happiness Is A Warm Gun
>Here, There And Everywhere

They would never be able to, is the point. The Beatles were simply far more versatile and visionary. They could even rock harder than the Stones when they wanted to; Helter Skelter for example.

all those songs suck except Happiness is a Warm Gun

>Strawberry Fields Forever sucks

ITT: People who clearly never listened to the Beatles.

This. I've noticed that people who call them a boy band or kids music never seem to be familiar with songs like Tomorrow Never Knows

Dead Flowers

Pretty much this.

The Beatles are still remembered because they were an incredibly innovative band that recorded a bunch of good, varied music in a short period of time. The Rolling Stones don't really compare, because they were always a band that chased trends. They started out as a white blues band because it was cool, then tried to be a boy band when the Beatles got popular, moved onto experimental music when that became the trend, then went to more roots-influenced music, and even recorded what was basically a disco album. They recorded a lot of good stuff, but they've always essentially been a second-rate copycat band. Comparing them to the Beatles doesn't even really make sense.

1. Revolver (10/10)
2. Rubber Soul (10/10)
3. White Album (9.5/10)
4. Magical Mystery Tour (9.5/10)
5. Abbey Road (9.5/10)
6. Sgt Pepper (9.5/10)
7. Help! (9/10)
8. A Hard Day's Night (9/10)
9. Let It Be (8.5/10)
10. Please Please Me (8/10)
11. Beatles For Sale (8/10)
12. Yellow Submarine (7.5/10)
13. With The Beatles (7/10)

>literally just copying my post from the other Beatles thread on the catalog

it was a good 1

The Beatles and it ain't all that close.

The Beatles' best is MMT or Abbey Road. The Stones' best is Sticky Fingers.

1. The Beatles
2. The Beach Boys
3. VU
4. The Zombies
5. The Stones
6. The Kinks

Paint it black is not even on my list of best stones songs. Not even from that era.

Did you ever listen to exile on main street? literally every song except shake your hips is better than paint it black, god damn.

T-thanks

You're fucking dumb

The Rolling Stones have more underrated gems then the Beatles such as Goats head soup, Some girls, its only rock and roll etc which are what put them on top over the Beatles.

The Stones experimented more then the Beatles going in more genres and sounds then they did even thou they pretty much are tied up music wise unless you count the Beatles only on the basis that they never went downhill.

>The Stones experimented more then the Beatles going in more genres and sounds then they did
Is this bait? The Beatles played all of the following at some point in their career:
>hard rock/heavy metal
>psychedelic pop
>heavy psych/acid rock
>avant garde sound collage
>folk rock
>comedy/novelty
>proto drone
>skiffle
>music hall
>jazz
>Indian raga
>pop ballads
>country blues
>baroque pop
>jangle pop
>blues rock

stones did

>blues rock
>blues
>rhythm and blues
>hard rock
>psychedelic pop
>baroque pop
>psychedelic rock
>country rock
>folk rock
>country
>music hall
>raga rock
>disco
>soul
>pop ballads
>comedy/novelty
>country blues
>gospel

ZAPPA

I'd rather kill myself than be on Sup Forums in my late 20s

>tfw things are different today.

The Rolling Stones were great too but quite possibly the only thing they truly outclassed The Beatles in was live performance. By late '66, aside from barely being able to hear themselves, the Beatles music was getting extremely tricky to replicate live given their gear/equipment situation but they mainly stopped touring because they lost interest in it. The Rolling Stones became one of the most storied live bands of all time.

Aside from that there's nothing the Stones did better. Amazing they were but the Beatles were the better visionaries and the Stones stuck to the script more often particularly after Brian Jones was gone. They've also released bad albums. The Beatles did not.

27 counts as late twenties?

don't forget power pop

Still a difficult decision to make.
The Beatles couldn't ever put out an album like Her Satanic Majesty's Request or write songs like Let's Spend the Night Together or Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Of course that being said The Rolling Stones couldn't write or perform a song like Paperback Writer Strawberry Fields Forever or put out an album like Magical Mystery Tour to save their lives.

the beatles' musicianship was nowhere near the stones'

/thread

is this bait?

>inb4 muh helter skelter and muh revolution 9

In what way? Most of their stuff is pretty standard blues-based rock. Hell, for the past 45 years, Keith Richards has mostly been playing in an open tuning that means most of their songs can be played with the exact same shapes at different points on the fretboard.

Migos made the Beatles famous & Kanye made that one guy John Lennon famous...

>70253105
No way are the Kinks lower than The Beach Boys, The Beach Boys had 1.5 great revolutionary albums while almost all Kinks albums were amazing (Minus post State Of Confusion and pre Face To Face)

>No bad albums
>Let it Be exists

Not him but I can guess which songs he means

>hard rock/heavy metal
Helter Skelter
>psychedelic pop
Strawberry Fields Forever
>heavy psych/acid rock
Hey Bulldog
>avant garde sound collage
Revolution 9
>folk rock
Anything off Help/Rubber Soul
>comedy/novelty
You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
>proto drone
Not sure on this one but presumably Tomorrow Never Knows
>skiffle
Any of their very early stuff
>music hall
Honey Pie
>jazz
Okay this one I don't really know, maybe You Know My Number again
>Indian raga
Love You To/Within You Without You
>pop ballads
Hey Jude
>country blues
For You Blue
>baroque pop
She's Leaving Home
>jangle pop
Anything off AHDN
>blues rock
Yer Blues

1. TVU
2. The Beach Boys
3. The Beatles
4, 5, 6 literallywho

No that's not The Who

Holy fuck wtf is wrong with this list you deserve to be shot and/or skinned alive then drowned

you had the best taste when you were 20 desu

Beatles > Kinks > Who > Zombies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stones

Best Beatles album
>Ram - Paul McCartney

Best Stones album
>Let It Bleed

Beatles more experimental, more diverse. And more consistent record.
Though exile is my fav album by any of them

Let It Be is great though. And if that's the worst they ever did it's incredibly impressive.

>He fell for the "only pet sounds and smile are good" meme

The beach boys have no fewer than 7 quality albums, and as many as a dozen if you're feeling generous

The Zombies are far more talented than any mentioned above tho

Even so, The Kinks were still better, they actually had lyrics with their music

Too bad the actual music is nowhere near as good

Waterloo Sunset is better than anything The Zombies recorded, and that's coming from someone who thinks The Zombies are great

Wasn't even talking about the zombies

Yeah just realised that, my bad 2bh

I still think Waterloo Sunset is better than any Beach Boys songs though

Waterloo Sunset, Days, Do You Remember Walter, Celluloid Heroes, Sweet Lady Genevieve, I could go on

Are you kidding? Waterloo sunset is not on the best of the zombies level in any possible way.
Hung up on a Dream is a masterpiece

they're both bad

save yourself the time and do it right now

Experimenting in a genre doesn't equal to making great music in that genre
For example, the Beatles's foray into blues are cringeworthy, the "avant garde sound collage" of Revolution 9 is equal parts pretentious and bad, Paul McCartney's music hall/"jazz"/novelty songs stand out like nuggets of shit in the band's catalogue

And the Stones really shouldn't be remembered for their "diversity" of sound, as it mostly is blues rock and hard rock and something in between. Also I don't remember their forays into baroque pop, raga rock, disco and psychedelic pop being good at all.

>Paul McCartney's music hall/"jazz"/novelty songs stand out like nuggets of shit in the band's catalogue

Much like your opinions on this board. Btw you spelled "catalog" wrong dude man bro. Go seriously commit suicide.

>he likes shit in the same tier as Maxwell's Silver Hammer
i'm not sure if i feel more pity for you because of your autism or your shit taste

>Her Satanic Majesty's Request
literally sgt. pepper

>Paul McCartney's music hall/"jazz"/novelty songs stand out like nuggets of shit in the band's catalogue
Honey Pie is a beautiful song.

youtube.com/watch?v=hPrklRwn1HE

>The Beatles couldn't ever put out an album like Her Satanic Majesty's Request
That was basically a bargain bin ripoff of SPLHCB.

>Also I don't remember their forays into baroque pop, raga rock, disco and psychedelic pop being good at all.

baroque pop:
Lady Jane
As Tears Go By
Ruby Tuesday
a lot of Between the Buttons
She's a Rainbow

>raga rock:
Paint It Black
Mother's Little Helper
Gomper

disco:
Miss You

psychedelic pop:
Paint It Black
Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing in the Shadow
Let's Spend the Night Together
Ruby Tuesday
Yesterday's Papers
Dandelion
Ride On, Baby
She's a Rainbow

Beatles are overrated as fuck but they were the first self aware boyband, that alone is worth mentioning. Post-modernism is a meme now, but in the 60s having a pop group bringing attention to the fact they're using art and themselves as product is fucking neat.

And Jagger and Richards have basically said as much.

Which is funny too because it seems that Richards never thought very highly of Pepper anyway. It was probably Brian Jones' idea.

>raga rock:
>Paint It Black
Is this a joke ? You could replace the sitar with a guitar tuned out of wonk and nobody would be any the wiser.

And that's exactly what the "sitar" like sound in Mother's Little Helper is. The Beatles were better at incorporating the Indian stuff, while the Rolling Stones' use of it was much more simplistic.