I curse the day I finally gave into my friend bugging me to start watching this

I curse the day I finally gave into my friend bugging me to start watching this.

Was okayish at first, but too many fail episodes and weird shit. And now I feel compelled to watch it out, even though most of the time I hate it. Kind of like when you get caught up in an MMO in a bad way, and feel compelled to login every day so you don't miss your dailies.

Well you know what. I managed to quit MMOs, I can quit this too.

S9 was it for me. No more of this.

Exatly the same for me
I can't understand why people like it so much, the first season was trash but okay,
season 2 and 3 are neither funny nor interesting and everything is explained with "space magic"
Please some whotard needs to explain it to me, im genuinly Interested

There isn't anything "to get" it's just not you're type of tea. Assuming you like Star Wars/Star Trek? Doctor Who is hard science fiction, as in it focuses on the technology bits with characters and stories acting as filler, and the Wars/Trek stuff tends to be the opposite of that. Also Dr. Who intentionally ups the campiness so it's very much sort of the Indiana Jones of the sci-fi genre.

Seasons 1 - 5 were gold for me. Rest are shit.

>Dr. Who is hard science fiction, as in it focuses on the technology
Do I understand that wrong or is this bait?

At least classic who is, but that's just my opinion.

Even tho the show has been going for 50+ yrs, it's good for casual viewers to dip into. Doesn't matter if you've missed a couple of eps, or even a series, becos most stories are stand-alones.

But user, S9 had Heaven Sent

I lost interest during seasons 6 & 7.

Started watching again midway thru s8 and got hooked again.

It's a fun adventure show. I can see how people may not like it, but I'm still terribly excited even if blow done by Rusty's reboot will never truly heal.

Your opinion is objectively wrong.

Dr Who does not qualify in any way as hard sci-fi , it's literally the opposite, the show functions as a magic show.

That ep blew me away, one of my faves.

I recently rewatched s1-4 and revised my opinions on them completely. S4 was actually the best television modern Doctor Who has had, though I liked all 4 seasons.

I've also seen seasons 5-7, and they were all shit. There were some okay moments, and I don't really blame the cast, it was just written terribly.

I love Peter Capaldi and have watched The Thick Of It numerous times, but I couldn't do that to myself again, so I haven't seen the last two seasons.

Did I make a mistake?

In my opinion Series 8 was really good. I hated series 9 though.

That's basically what I went through, dropped it during the second half of Matt Smith's last season. I started up again two days ago and it was good again for a bit, since I didn't remember that they were basically recycling the same plots over and over. I was done with it again by the time I got to the latest doctor though.

Capaldi's my favourite NuWho Doc, if that's any help.

And yet I preferred s9. Oh well.

It doesn't really, I've never had a problem with the doctor, or even with the companions. It's more about the show itself. I swore never to suffer through Dinosaurs on a Spaceship ever again.

I doubt that there can be that much difference. People say that s6 was better than s7 for example, and it probably was, but the difference was minute. And I certainly can't trust /who/, some of them actually enjoyed Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

What's wrong with Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?

If you prefer s9 you don't really like Doctor Who, you are just forced to watch it because you are too stupid to watch anything more cerebral, yet resent Doctor Who for not being cerebral enough while being your intellectual ceiling and willing to swallow at pretense of complexity even as incoherent and half-assed as s9.

See what I mean?

Dr. Who
The hero who gives hope of humanity. No phisical violence.
As much as i like action, its refreshing that it has no violence.

Yeah, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was pretty dire.

Then you don't even know what "hard" and "soft" science fiction means. Soft science fiction is the soap opera shit like with Star Wars and Star Trek, where the show focuses on the characters, whereas hard science fiction focuses more on the fictionalized science and technology.
>The doctor never got violent

>hard science fiction focuses more on the fictionalized science and technology.

Stop writing like you have any idea of what you are talking about.

Hard sci-fi provides a universe where the science and the physics are grounded in at least some accurate way, in no way does Dr Who do this, it's purely a magic show.

U wot?

I watch the show to be entertained. Fuck off with your 'cerebral' BS.

Some Star Trek is hard sci fi, don't conflate it with Doctor Who and Star Wars. In Star Wars the hyperdrive just works, in Doctor Who the Tardis just works, but in Star Trek we learn all about how the warp drive works with anti-matter reactions powered by dilithium and contained in the warp core. It's not true hard science fiction in a literature sense, but it's about as close as you can get in television.

>T-Time travel isn't possible!
Same thing was said about literally almost every single modern invention, and lots of scientific theories when they were first postulated.

The time travel aspect isn't even the problem, it has nothing to do with time travel, the show provides a fantasy setting and magical explanations for it's "science" and episodes for the most part are based on fantasy, there is nothing hard sci-fi about Dr Who.

I'm sorry your children's show isn't what you think it is.

>he literally can't comprehend what is explained directly before him

Wow, you are a sanctimonious, supercilious prick.

I've never considered Dr Who to be 'hard sci-fi'. It's a family science fantasy/ drama show, and the makers don't pretend otherwise.

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the newest season even though I really like Peter Capaldi in everything he is in.

1. Amy
2. Clara
3. Rose
4. Donna
5. Martha

>it's literally made for children

So why do do you watch it?

You should try. It's very different from Matt Smith era.

You might not like it, but it's probably worth a try.

time travel is a completely fictional concept. If you think there is a better explanation than space magic, you need more then an explanation.

It's a FAMILY show. You know...for children AND adults. I used to watch it with my kids, and still watch it now they've grown up.

>for children AND adults, just like MLP!

You're mentally defeciant, the show follows the same simple, boring formula season after season, and is clearly directed at little boys and teenage girls.

1. Donna
2. Clara
3. Amy/Rory
4. Capt Jack
5. Martha
6. Rose with Ecclestone.
:
:
:
:
7. Rose with Tennant.

gr8 b8 m8.

Nice comeback, but I do like how you can't even defend your childish interest in a shitty space soap.

Doctor Who is a family tv show if you are looking for something edgy than this show is not for you.

>No more of this.

I'm glad. One thing that pisses me off more than the capeshit and GoT saturation here is when there's someone bitching about a show they can't bring themselves to drop. Then go on about some bullshit involving being invested

Why should I defend myself? I enjoy 'space soaps', and consider Dr Who to be a good one.

It's a children's tv show, there is nothing of substance that gives anyone over the age of 14 a reason to watch it.

It's absolute garbage.

Your considerations don't mean shit, as your opinions are trash.

Nuwho Official rankings
Doctors
>Capaldi
>Eccelson
>Tennant
>Smith

Writing
>Tennant - most actual drama and development
>Eccelson - not a total pussy, actually does things
>Capaldi - Wasted actor, he's too good for the show
>Smith - Literally dues ex machina the show

Just watch matt dr who and maybe classic, then turn it off go outside.

Do you actually watch it? Just curious.

Is her tits floppy or firm?

>Doctor Who is hard science fiction

If anyone needed evidence that this show is for plebs, look no further.

You...you literally just said, in this very thread...

I watched it when i was still a pleb (implying i'm not still one)and i liked it but never got around watching the latest two series

Rory was BASED

That was another user.

Dude, no. This Cunt doesn't represent the majority of Who fans.

I've never heard any cunt call it Hard Sci Fi, that's retarded.

So you were just the guy chiming in to say "time travel might be possible though" when the issue was never one of what might be possible, but of how a show about a space wizard presents science.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, RTD baby.

Rory was pretty cool guy but its all eclipsed because he lets Amy push him around.

No. I chimed in with the following posts:

Anyone else like the classic who episodes but hate the new ones? I love watching all the third doctor and up episodes.. old episodes have maximum comfyness

So basically you got triggered by "children's show" in the context of a show about an avuncular time travelling star mage waving his magic wand to make the baddies stop...?

Fucking child.

I love Who, but dude, it's always been made for kids and easy viewing. NuWho seems to have forgotten this a little, but every time they try to be serious, it just feels camp as fuck.

I don't hate the new ones, but if you suggest a new Capaldi rewatch versus say anything Throughton, then it's Throughton hands down.