What was the opinion on future during the 90's? I am asking the oldfags. Was it more optimistic? Was it the same?

What was the opinion on future during the 90's? I am asking the oldfags. Was it more optimistic? Was it the same?
Now we have refugees, wars, dictators, multi-culti, revolutions, inflation, market failure, no jobs etc. What was the vision about the future before 20 years?

bump you faggots

baumppppp

Not as apocalyptic as the 70s/80s, but less optimistic than the 50s.

Things have always been shit. Old guy here. Big difference now is that if you're white/Western there's large parts of the world you can't go to anymore. When I was a kid Afghanistan, Morocco, were places you could go and get high, Now you'll likely get you throat cut.

There's always been all the other things you list.

Also, population growth is mental. World is filling up rapidly.

Didn't foresee UK housing shortage, it's getting really hard here.

Don't worry about nuclear war like we used to, but then we never had global warming.

so, better than now?

Also money is tighter. The sense of the rich really creaming it off the rest of us. There's always been the rich screwing us, but now it's way harder at the bottom of the pile than it used to be, no jobs, no student grants, much lower unemployment benefits, can't get your own place if you're young, people dying because they are refused sickness benefit when they are truly sick, foodbanks for the poor, generations of the same family never known work.

I'd say so. I think the main thing is finances. The world's economies have been living on smoke and mirrors systems of credit and talking up the national worth, and the whole illusion is collapsing.

I don't want to come across as some old git with rose-tinted spectacles for some dream era, it wasn't like that. But so much now is truly shit. I have a kid and they won't be able to do the things I did. They may never own their own home no matter how hard they work. They will see a much higher proportion of their wage go in taxes and basic living expenses. As I do now.

And shaved pubes. Fuck, if I knew the future was going to be this bad I've have stayed in the 80's. Before HIV, before ever other teen had chlamydia or gonorrhea, and when almost nobody shaved their bush. Now that is nostalgia.

And education now? Primary school kids diagnosed with stress because of SATS tests?

Levels of mental health in teens as well. What the fuck is self-harm? Where did that come from?

This thread is heading for 404 if no-one else posts.

But hey, OP, did you ever consider what life before the internet was like?

In general it appears that we see the world much darker as the oldfags here used to do.

But I don't know if this is answering your question, OP. The vision for the future in the 90's or before, was like it always is for humans, we think things are going to improve, that we're working towards something better, that the world will become a better place.

Yes, since i was born and raised in 3rd world country i actually felt it. Only after 2007 i got access to the internet. But for me, the news seemed just as pessimistic as they are right now. You now 9/11, the tsunami in Indonesia, some other earthquakes arount the world, Bin Laden bla-bla, it felt also like it was the end.

That is why i am asking the truly oldfags that were in their 20's in the 90's. To see what they have felt .

Fall of the Soviet bloc, mostly an end to nuclear fears, more international cooperation, alternative culture becoming more mainstream, environmental concerns being addressed, rivers and air getting cleaner at least in Europe...

Yes, the rise of the Islamist thing has been particularly harsh. Even more so when those of us who considered ourselves aware, or alternative, switched on, hated America and Israel for what they were doing to the world and the middle east and Muslims in particular. Now we're likely to get bombed by the people we were trying to support.

Gotta go OP, late here now, hope that was useful. Good question, don't know why we didn't get more in the thread.

>Levels of mental health in teens as well
that and more fear mongering on fox, later @8

we were optimistic that aids would kill off the fags

What? Levels of mental health problems in teens are way up and rising. Look at the figures.

Edgy. Must be good to be you.

this

i went to morocco in 2013, absolutely fine. from Marrakesh, through the villages to mt toubkal.

I heard it's changed in just the last couple of years. The Atlas mountains now home to Islamists and not safe. But that's hearsay.

Thanks, bro. I don't know it either. Stay tuned.

Gen X'er here:
Generally, the overall mood by the mid to late 1990s was pretty optimistic toward the future as we had begun to experience the internet in a major way, a damn great economy, a post Cold War era of relative peace, and we saw the future having some promise. Now; that said, the PC nightmare of today had its beginnings in the 1990s because the entire debate over "political correctness" was coming to the forefront in that decade. Had my 46 year old self been able to tell my 26 year old self that we would now have an administration who used the DOJ to let tranny's in the women's room, who would sacrifice gay Americans for the feelings of Muslim extremists, and that Europe would all but surrender to Muslims, I wouldn't have believed it.

you faggot kids fucked it all up