Was Bowie the last musician whose passing impacted the world? People like Dylan, Keith Richards, etc...

Was Bowie the last musician whose passing impacted the world? People like Dylan, Keith Richards, etc. will certainly get some attention from music fans but will there ever be another musician who is so ingrained into popular culture that it's a world devastating affair?

Maybe if Kanye died suddenly, but it seems the age of musicians being seemingly immortal cult phenomenon is over.

I agree with your overall sentiment but McCartney's death will be the most monumental, and by a huge margin. Dylan and Jagger won't even come close.

Prince was actually a bigger deal than Bowie at least in Clapistan

Doesn't surprise me, although in Bongistan it was the opposite. Prince's death was a bit like "oh yeah, him, that's a shame", whereas Bowie felt like a part of our national identity had died.

The Rolling Stones legacy would be remembered better if they stopped touring

But no one fucks over their own legacy like Prince; by refusing to license his music he's effectively prevented any new fans from discovering him

Prince was a big deal (it hurt me a lot anyway). But yeah, I think you're right, no one's going to be as big a deal as him and Bowie were ever again imo.

I disagree; I'm a Clapistanian and very few people under the age of 30 knew much about Prince other than that he was the guy who did Purple Rain and Batman music. A lot of older people were upset, but most younger people were just kind of confused as to why it was a big deal.

Same here, with Prince making his music virtually inaccessible digitally he's essentially lost this generation in terms of impact.

not only generational but I think it may also be a racial difference.

He's not the last but he'll be the last for a while.

why do you think so

Not him, but black people were obviously more concerned with Prince's death than Bowie's.

also Prince's actual death was in fact a bigger deal than Bowie meaning not just the end of his life but the death itself because we didn't know what happened at first. So that alone amplified it and dragged it out.

how does bowie dying impact the world

I mean there were thousands of people gathered overnight in his hometown singing his songs, people leaving a shitton of flowers in front of his New York apartment. It didn't cause peace between Israel or Palestine or something but he clearly meant a lot to a lot of people.

A lot of people around the world liked his music.

>2 Beatles
>Plenty of Dad Rockers
>46th President of the United States Mr. Kanye West

Bowie was Knighted.
If you think his death will have more impact then Sir Paul McCartney or Sir Elton John you are in for rude awakening.

I meant "wasn't"

yeah Paul will probably be the most impactful death of a musician in history

no offense Ringo

People who feel bad bad about artists' deaths need to stop romanticising people they don't even know.
Do you feel bad for every person who dies? And for the record, people you didn't even met or exchanged a simple dialogue with?
I'm sure -or at least, I hope- these people feel sadness in their everyday life they need to take out when someone unrelated dies.
No artists' death is inherently sadder than other people's.

Everyone is saying Paul but he's expected. Bowie and Prince was a shock to the public

Yeah...that's going to happen with pretty much any public figure. And not to make this a Sup Forums thing but I personally knew very few non-white people who cared about Bowie' s passing one way or another.

He's only 5 years older than Bowie

and of course Paul gets the added boost of how that affects The Beatles roster so thats why I think it will be the most impactful in history. Lennon was impactful of course but it was more that it was tragic.

Lennon at the time had a sort of saint like image (which of course has been pretty much destroyed since the rise of the internet) among a lot of boomers whereas Paul, while beloved, was always just a pop singer.

true but I just think it will be more impactful because not only will it be the death of paul but it will also basically be the death of the beatles so everyone will not only be mourning paul but also the beatles

again no offense ringo