Any graphic designers have advice for a graphic arts student?

Any graphic designers have advice for a graphic arts student?

change majors

Install Gentoo.

On top of your classes also learn how to apply for unemployment.

use colors

'precciate it, anons!

lmao

>wrong board

consider reorienting your career choices.

welcome!

samefag here.
If you still wanna continue on the wallet wreckage train, REALLY REALLY work on your contacts.
Talent will lead you nowhere if you don't have "that guy" who knows who's hands to shake to get a proper job in a nice firm.

over 15 years in graphic design and marketing here. Have hired and worked with designers for at least 10 of those.

Your degree means next to nothing. The fact that you are graduated or a student means next to nothing. Get your portfolio in shape, that is 90% of any application or getting a job. I cant count the number of "designers" fresh out of school who have shit-awful portfolios. I do not give two flying fucks about your degree.

Do not expect your degree to help you when you first enter the market. You are going to be a coffee-bitch like non-degreed people, true facts of life. DO expect your degree to ultimately let you raise higher in the corporate ladder, DO expect your degree to eventually lead to higher salary, eventually.

Dont be prideful, what you learned in school, much like your portfolio is going to be about 10% of your actual skill, the other 90% will be picked up as you work.

what else did you want to know?

Any recommendations for software to use for drawing?

shit I dont know, every time I turn around theres like 10 new ones.

What is your goal? Where do you want to be working and designing? Your software choice should probably reflect that.

Working on company logos.
Currently I use paint tool SAI, if that helps.

yeah sure that works I suppose.
That does export to some kind of vector based format right?

As far as I know, yes.

get out while you still can

Quit

Get a vasectomy

>as far as I know

might want to check since like, thats important. Have they not taught you about using vector for logo work in school?

painttool sai is story book next to logo solutions. I would learn how to use Illustrator or Inkscape if thats what your heading to.

I was going to recommend illustrator, but Im oldfag and Im always assuming theres something newer even though Ive never seen it.

Not at all.
It's the second week of school, so I would'nt have expected them to talk about that yet.

just draw dicks
alot of dicks
DICKS

Thanks.

oh alright, well a few tips:
design everything in vector, a bitmap logo is useless. If they cant shrink it down or blow it up to be the size of a building, it wont be right.

Design with multiple print and web applications in mind. Doesn't look good in black and white? It's wrong. Doesn't look good at high or low print resolution? It's wrong.

Feel free to redesign the same logo for B/W, print, and digital applications while keeping the design consistent, but do keep these things in mind, they will matter.