Why do so many people here hate metal to the extent that they do

Why do so many people here hate metal to the extent that they do

because they're clueless and simply can't get out of their little comfort zone

Memes

bc it's bad

Good reasoning, you sure showed us

idk what you're on about the /metal/ general is one of the most active and popular threads here at all times

even if it mostly shitty meming but they still talk about music

/metal/ is such a cesspool of nonsense and bullshit that I like to pretend it doesn't exist.

the metal general is unequivocally garbage and more than half the posters are fresh off the Sup Forumsoat shitters for the unfortunate fact that metal subculture attracts lowest common denominator ilk

Cause they like c-rap.

i bet you listen to hipster garbage and yet still think you're above the average Sup Forumstard

Requires a trained ear to be able to process the distorted tones. Most people who don't like it have minimal experience with music.

literally said this before i clicked

>generals attract the lowest common denominator

i like metal but i don't touch the general because last time i went in there was just nonsensical shitposting with -core crap being spammed everywhere

i'm more than confident i have better taste than you and the majority of the general in the respective metal genres i listen to

Cause the fans are autistic retards who need to constantly prove how much more metal they are than the next guy cause they don't listen to THAT shitty, poser band, they listen to THIS trve band that's obviously far more patrician.
t. metal guitarist

>yeah i'm pretty much a metal connoisseur
>boris, acid bath, electric wizard, deafheaven, vektor, sunn o))), the list could go on

>le all -core is bad meme
You're proving my point

Because they can't comprehend that just because they can't see the appeal, doesn't mean that it's shit.

So what? Every fanbase has it's elitisim.

Metal elitists are about a hundred times more arrogant and irritating than elitists of other genre's.

They haven't discovered djent yet

It keeps posers away.

Define "poser" for me.

metal equivalent of a pleb
i.e. someone that listens to:
1. hipster garbage
2. entry-level garbage
3. exclusively essentials (entry-level or not) and nothing else

"PANTERA'S BEST SONG IS WALK HEHE, SLAYER IS THE BEST BEND EVA; SLAYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR"

Those who never go beneath the surface, nor do they care about the music, they only like it because it's cool. Just check your average YT section on every Pantera/Slayer/Iron Maiden related video.

>my subjective taste is inarguably better than someone else's subjective taste
Why can't someone listen to both? Why can't people enjoy underground black and death bands while still liking bands like Lamb of God and mainstream "entry level" bands with core influences and shit?

How do you know someone doesn't care about the music? The people that comment shit like that on youtube videos are usually kids, they haven't had time to delve deeper into the music and people just tear them to shreds for, in a lot of cases, genuinely enjoying the music.

Since when is metal cool?

There are a bunch of faggots that are like that, kids excluded. I personally know a group of people that claim how they're big metalheads, but haven't even heard of bands like Ulver and Edge Of Sanity, that aren't even that obscure. They're usually the type of faggots that later go like "uh, I liked metal when I was a kid XDD"

Since when is it not?

I'm not going to stop you from listening to anything lmao
listen to whatever you want but expect to be judged

Be it books, films, anime or music, why does it always boil down to has a bigger one?

that's in our nature, lad

Indeed, my dude.

two reasons: they haven't listened to much metal, and they're convinced distancing themselves from people they perceive as outcasts will make them more normal or liked by other people

see the following - almost all criticism is about metal's audience and not metal, it's pure insecurity:

>it's pure insecurity
Fucking this. Why do so many of people on here, let alone outside, give a single shred of fuck why about some faggot's opinion? Why do they always seek validation from others and are unable to make their own opinion about whatever subject in question?

>I personally know a group of people that claim how they're big metalheads, but haven't even heard of bands like Ulver and Edge Of Sanity, that aren't even that obscure
Sure, there are plenty of people like that. I know people who have never heard of fucking Wolves in the Throne Room. That doesn't mean that they don't care about like, Iron Maiden deeply, or Slayer, or LoG or Machine Head or who the fuck ever. Those people ARE metalheads compared to someone who's heaviest band is like, Guns n Roses.

I agree, it's about the audience. I'm not saying I am one of the people who hates metal, as I said I'm a guitarist in a metal band. But one of the big reason people hate metal so much is because of the audience.
It's the same reason the metal community hates someone like Avenged Sevenfold or something so much, the fans make the music that much more hate-able.

For the reason criticism exists in those respective fields as a historical function of the primordial desire to interpret art (and life, in a larger more existential sense) and hope to understand it, if not at least discuss it with that ideal in mind.

At least in terms of music, some people just aren't content with (perceived) mediocrity.

>Those people ARE metalheads compared to someone who's heaviest band is like, Guns n Roses.
That's an acomplishment of sorts? What's the point of listening to a certain genre/sub-genre of music only to limit yourself to the most entry bands possible? That obviously shows that they don't care about the medium, because if they did, they'd go outside of their narrow bubble and actually explore it, the way it's meant to be. Also, the people that I've mentioned are usually of the mindset that metal is the best genre ever and that everything else is shit. People like that are making me fucking sick.

They might like the more polished sound of the "mainstream" kind of bands. Doesn't mean they don't like metal, they just prefer some things to others. There could be plenty of reasons they don't stray too far from their comfort zone.
>Also, the people that I've mentioned are usually of the mindset that metal is the best genre ever and that everything else is shit. People like that are making me fucking sick.
I agree with this part whole-heartedly though. But there are plenty of "elitist" types who act like that too.

I like some metal and I've been to some shows, and I agree the audience can be annoying at times. although honestly, I've never found them any more annoying than certain sects of people at punk, indie and hip hop shows. maybe the difference is that they're annoying in a metal(tm) way, but to me it seems like low hanging fruit to pick on metal specifically

but the thing I do like about metalheads is the sincerity. they really do take their music seriously, and even if I don't quite understand it that's kinda refreshing. especially compared to a place like Sup Forums where everyone hides behind irony and it's cool to just hate everything

I think you're being a bit too kind to the anti-metal people, though. the fact they don't mention music at all, and pretty much exclusively base their reasoning on the audience is clear evidence of insecurity and closemindedness

as an outsider, I think the culture does lend itself to some really good music, especially if you're into dissonance. certainly with more underground stuff I've heard the self-seriousness and freedom afforded by not having to fit into any norms can generate some pretty unique music

A good amount of metalheads are insufferable, but that shouldn't stop people from actually enjoying the music itself.

I understand that not everyone is content with (perceived) mediocrity as you've said, myself included, but when I see discussions boiling down to "Le reddit, pleb, faggot" without actual arguments to support them, it truly makes me sick.

I have no problem with someone venturing out but returning to familiar bands, since they are better suited for his taste. What I have problem with is someone who doesn't even bother to explore the vast bands metal has to offer, just because those bands aren't that popular and that known among others.
>But there are plenty of "elitist" types who act like that too.
Those types of elitists are just fake ones, and should be mocked for the joke they indeed are.

Fucking this.

I actually agree with all of that. I'm not saying they're justified or it makes sense for them to hate metal for those reasons, just that those are some of the main reasons that people hate metal.
It's also the fact that metal is obviously extremely abrasive and the screaming vocals and blistering solo's and shit are hard for people to get into.

Why do you care? Do you listen to metal to gain the acceptance of others?

Yeah, you're right they should be able to do that, but like, if someone who's an edm fan or whatever, and the only metal they've really listened to is like, black album era metallica and black sabbath for example, they go into /metal/ and try to talk to people about this stuff they've found and liked asking for more bands they might like and often get blasted with a thousand replies calling them faggots or whatever, so it gives them a bad impression of metalheads in general.

>What's the point of listening to a certain genre/sub-genre of music only to limit yourself to the most entry bands possible?

>That obviously shows that they don't care about the medium

As much as I agree with this, you have to realize that finding new bands that you ACTUALLY enjoy within certain sub genres takes time.. Even finding new genres to delve into takes time. It also doesn't help that everyone in the /metal/ threads are too busy paying attention to the shit posters instead of the actual genuine questions.

It sounds like a fucking demon. It can't deal

I honestly think it's a bit of jealousy. It's really odd how virulent most Sup Forumstants are towards metal. I can understand not liking a genre, but a lot of people react really strongly to the mention of metal for apparently no reason. I don't foam at the mouth at the first sign of jazz.

The normies I've discussed metal with have a strange reverence for metal that I suspect a lot of pretentious faggots envy. I've actually had football players tell me that they were intimated by me, in a sort of awestruck way, because I listen to metal.

A lot of the criticism of metal is not of the music itself, and is instead of the fanbase, which suggests that most critics are more concerned with the image and culture surrounding the genre. I'm not saying there isn't a lot wrong with the metal fanbase. There is, but those who say that "metal is for children" are clearly more concerned with appearing mature than developing a serious appreciation of music.

It seems like compensation and insecurity to me. There's definitely more at play than a dislike of metal music.

I agree with this.

I beg to differ, even though there are faggots like that, a good amount of people, in /metal/ generals especially, give them charts or band recs and are usually very helpful and quite responsive towards questions they might have. At least that's what I've seen so far. Newfags just need to learn to tolerate shitposters, and they'll be fine.

It does take time, but if you at least try to venture outside entry tier bands, that's at least something and far more than many can say about themselves.

ive never heard a metal band without awful lyrics

Because it has stupid edgy vocals, it's pathetic

Shit like illustrates my point. It comes off as Tumblr-style shaming that has less to do with the music and more to do with putting down the fans.

Yeah that's a fair point I guess, but to someone who hasn't spent much time in those threads because they don't wanna sit through all the shitposting, they may not ever see those replies is all I'm saying. I mean I post in /metal/ and it's generally cool cause I get to talk about bands that a lot of people I know IRL never heard of, but I've definitely experienced the irritating side of it too, for example I've never been able to get into black metal, all the tremolo picking and that thin, high, vocal style always pissed me off but I recently got turned onto to deafheaven through a friend and liked it a fair bit, but of course because sunbather is a meme at this point any time I tried to get serious recs for atmoblack and blackgaze bands I was met with the same shit we've been talking about. All I'm saying really is I can see why people don't like metalheads and by extension treat metal the way they do. I don't agree with it, but I see how it happens.

>I've actually had football players tell me that they were intimated by me
Happens to me a lot, since I'm also 6'3. As stereotypical as it sounds, I've also had many people asking me during the high school, if I'm a satanist and many things along that line. People truly seem to be frightened by something they can't comprehend, so they feel the need to be as defensive as possible.

>listening to music for the lyrics
pleb as fuck.

I made a chart for my friend who was trying to get into black metal. These are early albums that were crucial in the development of the genre. Most people try to dive in headfirst and end up hating it. You have to ease yourself into it.

Deafheaven is crap atmoblack. Darkspace is much better.

Same, I'm 6'5".

This though desu.
I'm not even big, I'm like 5'11, and not like super skinny but definitely not ripped, and I've had my brothers footy mates who are jacked and 6+ feet tell him they're scared of me. Tripped me out. Not sure if it's the tattoos or whatever, but it's a weird phenomenon.

>Tumblr-style shaming that has less to do with the music and more to do with putting down the fans
What i said has nothing to do with fans fans, it's strictly related to the music

>i've actually had football players tell me that they were intimated by me, in a sort of awestruck way, because I listen to metal.
oh nevermind, it's b8

not him, but not all metal has vocals, nevermind your nebulous idea of "edgy" vocals

I can relate to the Deafheaven part of your comment quite a lot, since I only got into black metal around summer and don't get the hate for it. The biggest surronding black metal is that it prides itself on being so different, yet it's fans attack everything that's out of the norm. Really makes you think, no pun intended.

You're a bigger guy.

It's quite hillarious, to say the least.

>stupid edgy vocals
Can you be a little more specific? Can you name some bands with them or what?

Here it is.

Don't be dense. You know what you're saying; it has nothing to do with the vocals. There are plenty of bands that use clean vocals or no vocals at all.

i never said all metal has vocals, but most that have are guttural

>Hammerheart
Why not list albums like Batlord's s/t or The Return? Far closer to black metal than Hammerheart.

>Deafheaven is crap atmoblack
Yeah but they're a good gateway band cause of how they blend it with a few more familiar metal influences. I've been going through early Burzum and Darkthrone shit recently but it took a band like Deafheaven to get me to kind of break my misunderstanding of the genre. After listening to sunbather I realised black metal isn't really about the same things as most metal, like it's not about technical proficiency and like "sick riffs bro" stuff, it's more "zone out" music for lack of a better description.

Hammerheart was one of the first atmospheric sounding black metal albums. Good for preparing yourself for atmoblack.

They really aren't a good gateway band. Venom and Celtic Frost are much better gateway bands.

>i never said all metal has vocals
right, that's what makes it a terrible reason to hate metal

>Venom
has and always will be utter garbage. You completely missed the dudes point that you were replying to, btw.

Ulver's Bergatt would'ev been a better choice.

>They really aren't a good gateway band.
Well, like, they inarguably are because I've spent most of my life not being able to get into black metal, venom included, and Sunbather got me into black metal.

Everyone loves grindcore

Grindcore, along with slam and brutal death, is just so fucking funny.

Insecure beta nu-male cucks feel threatened by metal's often non-serious aesthetic. They are also too lazy to pay attention to the music long enough to appreciate the refinement that has gone into it, and prefer music that just throws a bunch of ideas at you without subtlety since that's far easier to understand.

grindcore makes people suicidal.

Everyone likes riffs, right?

Venom was a critical bridge between traditional heavy metal and extreme metal. They are a gateway, historically speaking. Certainly much less garbage than Deafheaven.

My friend and I were listening to Hammerheart when I made the chart, so I decided to put that on there.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Batlord is always a valid rec,

I don't think you understand what people mean when they say "gateway" band.
Someone like Linkin Park, for example, is a good gateway band because kids listen to them, then start liking heavy rock, then go down the rabbit hole to find actual good metal bands.
A good gateway band doesn't need to be a good band, they just need to be able to make people who would never listen to that style gain an interest in it. Also Venom are cringey, sloppy, shit.

Venom's WTH, BM and AWWS are genuine solid albums.

Venom and first wave in general are the casual filter for people that don't like the 'metal' part in 'black metal' but I guess yours is not too surprising a sentiment for someone that couldn't get into black metal without Deafheaven.

(this statement is contrary to the whole decrying about elitism in metal but you set yourself up too easily here as a person that simply needs to listen to the music more)

I don't hate it, but I really just don't enjoy listening to it. It's pretty fun to play though. Used to play guitar in a doom metal band wich was a blast

imo a poser isnt someone who listens to "bad" metal its just someone who listens only to metal which has gained acceptance in the indie/hipster subcultures, like burzum, boris, etc. they wont listen to anything that might get them made fun of, and when praising those hipster metal bands they always add "and i dont even like metal!"

>LAY DOWN YOUR SOULD TO THE GODS ROCK AND ROLL
>
>FREAKIN SO WILD
>NOBODY'S MILD
>GIVING IT ALL THAT YOU GOT
>WILD IS SO RIGHT
>METAL TONIGHT
>FASTER THAN OVER THE TOP

Super solid, man.

Might be a bit too extreme for someone that early on.

That sounds like less of a gateway band and more of a magnet for people who would ultimately turn the genre into the shitshow of mediocrity that metal has become. People who can't enjoy a classic band have no business involving themselves with the contemporary state of a genre.

Also, Venom has some good albums. Don't be a stick in the mud.

This. It's the same reason mu shits on Mac Demarco or Odd Future, the fan base is really dumb.

honestly dude, deafheavens lyrics are just as embarrassing.

>That sounds like less of a gateway band and more of a magnet for people who would ultimately turn the genre into the shitshow of mediocrity that metal has become.
The more people get into metal, the more bands can actually make a living, the more bands will come around, which by volume alone means more good bands will come. Bringing in more fans should always be a good thing if you actually give a fuck about those bands.
Also, there are a thousand bands from the contemporary era that are shitloads better than a band like Venom. Maybe you're looking in the wrong places.
>People who can't enjoy a classic band have no business involving themselves with the contemporary state of a genre.
I didn't say they can't I just said that they may have never been exposed to it in order to realise that they like it.

then surely they aren't 'posing' if they already admit they don't like metal?

The Return/Under/BFD maybe, but their s/t is just lo-fi thrash.

why are they listening to metal then?

Sure, but you can't make them out so it never bothered me. I'm not saying they're a great band or anything like that, but it took a band like them, who mixes that black metal style with more common modern metal elements to shift my paradigm about black metal as a whole. Don't worry, Darkthrone has gotten me into "good" black metal.

Maybe they like what one or two bands are doing with it and haven't found any others that appeal to them yet.

>haven't found any others that appeal to them yet

must have not listened to very much because i bet the few bands they do like arent really all that original

It's the lo-fi that would make it tough on the ears.

To be fair, like with any genre, there ARE a lot of pretty shitty metal bands.

If they can handle thrash, they can handle their s/t.

yeah if ur a nerd bitch

>core crap

you're the reason that general is as shitty as it is
nothing wrong with -core

Yes lad. Some "core" bands have been responsible for some of the best heavy music innovations in like 10-20 years.

Metal is a world of its own, and even listeners who grew up hearing Led Zeppelin or Quiet Riot on AOR radio rarely combine an appetite for difficult ideas with a continuing passion for such music. Rock intellectuals prefer "alternative," even rap, and their disdain rankles the metal faithful.

As one of those rock intellectuals, however, I remain unconverted. The intensity of metal's phallic narcissism has few parallels outside X-rated movies, toilet art, and (oh yes) rap.

For many of us, metal's classical affinities are the very thing that renders it unlistenable--that as far as we're concerned, the instrumentally dexterous, rhetoric-drenched, and often melodramatic approach to meaning the two musics share is what rock and roll was put on earth to save us from.

That literally who is clearly a giant beta cuck faggot