What do you think of the Larry Sanders show?

What do you think of the Larry Sanders show?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DMsVfEqLFiI
youtube.com/watch?v=GpoKRFcdpkE
youtube.com/watch?v=xiwaNdXkNMY
youtube.com/watch?v=tCBOfj9iA6I
youtube.com/watch?v=iwy5TpwTiMM
youtube.com/watch?v=iNd3IzmaCgo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For those that don't know, it's the show that led to Curb.

too soon

Rewatching it now since his passing, about to restart 5. It is one of the best tv series of all time. Every bit as good as Seinfeld and in many ways better. Hilarious, scathing and self reflexive indictment of show-biz and late night tv, topical. Hank, Artie and so many other performances are perfect. Even Garry, a non-actor really, does a terrific job. Really great.

I know it's coming back to HBO services soon, and probably in stunning HD but I couldnt wait, watching shitty rips, but it doesnt even matter, every bit as funny.

fish face

I've been watching it lately. Please delete this threads as I only finished two seasons and can't properly discuss it with you guys. Thanks.

>that S2 finale

>>that S2 finale

Great finale

Good review. But what's so great about Seinfeld?

I've watched every season except for two. What's the best season friends?

Andrew Dice Clay shat all over it so Ima have to go with him on this

>I've watched every season except for two.

How does this happen?

I watched season one to get a feel of it. Jumped into the middle season to check if it developed along the right lines. Then watched four, six, then five, because it wasn't episodic. Then forgot there was a whole another season I missed out on. So season two is at the ready.

>I watched season one to get a feel of it. Jumped into the middle season to check if it developed along the right lines.
Jesus man wtf

Well I can safely say that S2 is great.

>I watched season one to get a feel of it. Jumped into the middle season to check if it developed along the right lines.

uhh

>Then watched four, six, then five, because it wasn't episodic.

>wasn't episodic

Ok, pants on head retarded

Suddenly
>what's so great about Seinfeld?
makes sense

There's too many shows and too little time. Take South Park for example. If I hadn't seen it before, I would start at the beginning to understand the basic formula, and what the intentions are, and the whole feel. But then I would leap forward a few seasons to see if it gets better and not worse. When I'm confident it all looks good, I commit to it. Otherwise drop it.

Question is; what's the best formula towards giving a show a fair trial.

>Question is; what's the best formula towards giving a show a fair trial.

Dude, your shit is fucked.

Is it ADD? Memellenial? Here though: The best formula to watch a tv television series is start at S01E01 and watch as long as you enjoy it, stop if you don't.

The Larry Sanders show is not for you. There's lots of nuance, themes, recurring or in-jokes, subtext, allusions, etc.

Hail Hydra

>When I'm confident it all looks good, I commit to it. Otherwise drop it.
That's not normal at all. Really bad idea.

>South Park
Might be a good idea for this kind of show and for the fact that's it's like what 20 seasons? Still if I ever got around to watching this show I would probably start from the beginning. But for Larry Sanders? Fuck no. It's fucked that you watched S1 and knew it's quality and then jumped a season.

>Question is; what's the best formula towards giving a show a fair trial.
Watch from the beginning. Drop the show if they dropped the ball.

Also Seinfeld is the goat show. Even better than Sanders and if you get around to watching it don't skip anything. S1 is known to be not as good as the following seasons. You'd miss so many jokes and callbacks.

Hank is the real standout of the show and the Hank episodes are the best.

There's no need for this hostility. What I do is logical. There are so many shows out there, and many of them are shit. Some of the best shows had crappy beginnings so it would be unfair to drop it after a few episodes if that is how I'd judge it. It's better to watch a few episodes chosen from the whole show. If you judged The Simpons on season 1, you might decide too early that the rest of the show is of the same quality and drop it. Too many shows, too little time.

btw I love the Larry Sanders show. You can't tell me what I don't like. This is the classic thing with this board.

I often start at the beginning, then advance forward to check if it improves. That's all. I was watching Homicide: Life on the Streets for the first time a few months ago. It takes a while for it to really get up and running. Season three is golden season. So I watched the first few episodes of season 1, then went forward to check, then went back again when I confirmed it gets better and is a good thing to commit to. I didn't lose out on the experience at all. If anything, I gained an interesting new perspective on the devlopment of the show by contrasting it like that.

I don't mean to diss Seinfeld. It's just that I didn't watch it growing up, and many people did, so I wonder if it's some bias towards that. But I'm willing to accept that I just haven't given it a fair trial yet.

I wish you were memeing. People meme with this very same 'watch out of order' stuff. You're clearly not well. I don't know if it's autism, ADD, low IQ, whatever, but this is so antithetical to understanding or appreciating media, it's absurd.

Dude I know my method works. I'm just looking for an even better method. I don't use memes or use intimidation tactics. I'm not your enemy, you don't need to look after me, and you need to open your mind to the idea that you don't know everything. No arguing please.

Well you're jumping ahead to where you no business being as a viewer since you didn't watch the previous stuff, the quality of the show can't be measured accurately if you don't know how everything was set up. How do you even know the show is good when you jump ahead? What's the criteria? You would have no way to know if it's getting any better or worse. Also assuming you can know if it's good or not what if S2 was the good season and S3 was shit?

Also in the case of Homicide, you would be spoiling the shocking and unexpected death of a certain character, congratulation.

Not really mad. I guess if it works for you.

Another point is, I don't know about you but I've been here long enough that I heard a lot of good stuff about this show and it's hardly the case of 'going in blind" that you make it out to be.

>you need to open your mind to the idea that you don't know everything

lol you fucking weirdo it is actually funny at this point, no i don't know everything, but I do know to start at the beginning and proceed numerically from there, pretty basic stuff

You do literature the same, a novel or series of books?

>Dear Dumb Fuck,

>Who are you to sit on your fucking ass while I'm out there working my ass off trying to entertain America? You boring, yellow-bellied, talent less dickhead. You just sit there watching me, hoping the world doesn't find out what a fucking fraud you are.

>Sincerly,
>Larry "Suck my Cock" Sanders

>the quality of the show can't be measured accurately if you don't know how everything was set up
Fair enough. But I'm respecting the show by watching it in the first place. Can't the show respect me by allowing me to view it however I want? Don't people normally watch TV shows as they are shown, and have no choice in the matter what random episode airs that night. I'm being generous here donating any time to a new show. I've watched so many shows in the past 12 months man. I give each show a fair trial, and most of them don't deserve it. One slips through the cracks occasionally, but there's no way to get it perfect short of watching every episode of every show. What do you think of the TV show House? Because I'm not too sure it's good. I'm on season two, but there are like eight seasons. Do I drop it now, or skip forward to three or four.
>Another point is, I don't know about you but I've been here long enough
It's just a website, and this board at first glance is terrible. I was just wasting time today making a thread here to converse with like-minded peeps who also like the LSS and perhaps gain a new insight.
>Also in the case of Homicide, you would be spoiling the shocking and unexpected death of a certain character, congratulation
I'm tough. I can handle it. But it's not like they mention this in every episode too. Do you notice they get the important exposition out of the way usually the beginning of each new season. "So-and-so died, retired, moved".

>You do literature the same, a novel or series of books
Obviously not. Why think that??

>It's just a website, and this board at first glance is terrible. I was just wasting time today making a thread here to converse with like-minded peeps who also like the LSS and perhaps gain a new insight.

Thanks for stopping by, now see ya later. You're not a fan of the show, btw. Insight's the last thing you're after.

>You're not a fan of the show, btw. Insight's the last thing you're after.

>Can't the show respect me by allowing me to view it however I want?
No one if forcing you to do anything. The thing is, you didn't specify that you were watching it as it's shown on TV and whenever you could. Even then missing a few episodes is justified, not jumping entire seasons on purpose. Imo it's a pretty bad system for any show that has a continuous story, character development or callback/injokes. As you can see it's pretty much a good portion of TV. You're more likely to ruin the flow of the show than avoid watching a bad season of television.

>House
S1-2-3 The GOAT show but that's only imo and I like the show and have rewatched it many times. After that it really is not worth our time except for some eps here and there.

>It's just a website, and this board at first glance is terrible. I was just wasting time today making a thread here to converse with like-minded peeps who also like the LSS and perhaps gain a new insight.
Okay but you should've finished the sentence. The point is LSS is praised all the time so it's not that much of a gamble.

>I'm tough. I can handle it.
Well yeah but that doesn't meant it's a good idea. Spoiling a show isn't the way to go.

>S1-2-3 The GOAT show but that's only imo and I like the show and have rewatched it many times. After that it really is not worth our time except for some eps here and there.
You think it's a good method to trust others on the web to decide for you what seasons are not worth watching? This is truly counter-productive as I should assume you are lying. This is far worse than the thing you criticise.
>The point is LSS is praised all the time so it's not that much of a gamble.
I never heard of it before, so it was totally a gamble for me. It was recommended on IMDB and I liked the poster, that's the reason I gave it a try.
>Well yeah but that doesn't meant it's a good idea. Spoiling a show isn't the way to go.
Yes. But I'm only talking about how I do things. I never suggested this is a good idea for others. Do what works for you. This is the mistake. You all think I'm advocating this for everyone. It works for me no doubt, and it confuses me when you all get so upset about this. There's no problem, it's all cool. I'm aware of what I'm doing, and I'm not missing out. It wouldn't be possible for me to watch so many different shows if I didn't employ some method.

Bump for non mean discussion

If you're so insistent that your method of consuming media works for you, why bother bringing it into the discussion if you know it's the polar opposite of the way literally every other person on Earth consumes media? It'll only ever serve to impede discussion, unless of course the reason you "innocently" bring it up is that you actually want to prove it's intellectual validity to The World lol

>It'll only ever serve to impede discussion
I presumed people wouldn't jump on my back in anger.

One of the best shows ever. RIP Garry, a true buddha of comedy, unsung in his later years because he was smart, took his money, moved to the desert, and started literally meditating.

Did he? What did he say?

>It's a depressed Hank crashes on the Seinfeld set episode

>Go on Vacation
>Robin Williams dies
>Go on Vacation
>Garry Shandling dies

Goddamit, I kill a comedian everytime i go on vacations...

If you went by the Diceman for media you'd be watching nothing but Ford Fairlane and listening exclusively to his kid's band.

Next time, keep Dane Cook in mind, ok?

His kid's band kinda sucks its just rehashed hair metal riffs....I'd still like Dice as a dad though, that'd be sick.

>You think it's a good method to trust others on the web to decide for you what seasons are not worth watching? This is truly counter-productive as I should assume you are lying. This is far worse than the thing you criticise.
Well not just any pass praise of the show will guarantee it's good, but when you've literally heard nothing but good about it, especially in a place like this, and when the people who like things you like also like this show then it's almost guaranteed it's going to be good.
>Do what works for you.
No one is suggesting otherwise. At least not me. It's just I think it's strange and honestly think it would be a bad idea for most shows out there for reason already mentioned. It's just my advise.

He does seem like a good dad. Really proud of em, can tell stories for days.

I went through all these shows in the past couple of weeks thanks to my method. Can you imagine if I watched each and every episode before I allowed myself to cast judgement on the show. I sit through shit I hate on the off-chance I was wrong to prejudge. But it's too painful to watching everything giving it the benefit of the doubt. Many shows are made with the simple task of just staying on the air for as long as possible. They don't respect the notion of watching S1E1 and up. I'm perfectly aware of the damage watching shows in a disordered fashion can have on my perception of it. But I have enough judgement on the show already to overcome that.

Dice gets the "has been" label too easily by many people. May don't understand that he's just doing a character....
I saw him a year ago he actually talks more about his family and childhood in his act between pussy talk and nursery rhymes. Still funny.

You could've just asked. All of them are shit except for Nathan For You and TLSS.

I take everything I said back now though, you do really watch anything that get thrown your way. Though with these shows might as well watch them backwards for all it matters.

One of the greatest shows of all time. I can't wait till it comes back to HBO so I can re-watch it again from start to finish. Makes me sad knowing Gary is gone.

youtube.com/watch?v=DMsVfEqLFiI

Nathan For You is not that good. But it gets points for relative originality, some integrity, and some genuine funny bits.
You are right, the shows were virtually all shit. The Problem Solverz deserves respect, although it is a questionable one. So does Look Around You. So does the Australian version of Wilfred. So does The Fast Show and Brass Eye. Nothing incredible. But those shows are worth watching IMO and deserve some respect.

>Nathan For You is not that good.

whats 'You're the Worst like' fàm

recently downloaded the first season as someone on here said it's good

That was a good tribute.

It's weird you ask. An Australian bro of mine asked me the same question. It's

You should check out Fernwood 2night.
In fact, all fans of Larry Sanders should.
youtube.com/watch?v=GpoKRFcdpkE
youtube.com/watch?v=xiwaNdXkNMY
youtube.com/watch?v=tCBOfj9iA6I

Appreciate the rec, the picture, and the convenient links buddy.

is that where that story from season 4 of arrested was based on, what with the desert sweatlodge and all?

I saw this thread and wanted to discuss my love for Larry Sanders but I can't get over how pants-on-head retarded OP is.

OP won the argument. It was a misconception to begin with.

Fucking great show.

But the best is Night Stand with Dick Dietrich.

youtube.com/watch?v=iwy5TpwTiMM

Great show. Garry was a huge talent. Was really sad when he died. I love the awkward interviews he did for the Sanders DVDs.

youtube.com/watch?v=iNd3IzmaCgo

this

I have no idea. I just know he was a Buddhist, lived alone in a nice house, and he was best buddies with David Duchovny. They played basketball a lot. (and of course after he died we found out he was friendly with many comedians)

Wiki just made me sad...

>Prior to his death, Shandling reflected on lost friends, such as Robin Williams, by commenting, "What I want at my funeral is an actual boxing referee to do a count, and at 'Five', just wave it off and say, 'He's not getting up.'" This prompted Matt Roush of TV Guide to remark following Shandling's death, "Seriously, who wouldn't want to go a few more rounds with the great Garry Shandling?