TL;DR: Im a bone collecter / finder and i need advice if possible

TL;DR: Im a bone collecter / finder and i need advice if possible

Hey Sup Forums! I'm a young Canadian dipshit who likes to go in the forest looking for bones. this was my first successful trip, even though it was only my second trip total (this is some crazy beginners luck). i stumbled across a young black bear's skull in the forest near my house, along with 95% of its teeth and 9/10 claws. There's also some hand bones.
but my problem is cleaning them. there's still really stubbourne flesh stuck to the skull and one other bone, and I've tried everything to get it off but it won't work. what should I do?

(timestamp and / or closer pictures of them can be provided just ask)

Other urls found in this thread:

taxidermy.net/forum/index.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

google it? I have no idea, cool collection though, post pics of full collection

unfortunately this is all I have so far. this is a very recent hobby. but yeah, Google was my second option other than finding someone on tumblr who knows what they're doing. thanks tho!

dude, wtf is up with your foot? you some sort of junkie?

Oh haha!! They're just old mosquito bite scars. I live a safe life don't worry.

i think you can cook off the meat and stuff in a large pot, but i suggest contacting a taxidermist and ask for ways of cleaning animal skulls and things like that, if your not weird they may even teach you as an apprentice

yeah, boiling them came to mind! but finding someone who's good at this stuff isn't gonna be too easy. I live in a small town and considering I was scrubbing a bear skull two houses down from a bonfire, they're gonna think im a weird kid

also those claws are kinda cool, i used to sometimes do what your doing with fish bones we would fine at the beach i might try and let some king mackerel skulls sit out cause the jaws are basically natural scissors but not as good as wahoo

just call them up most of those guys are weird too, and are private business

that's true. it was a long day and I'm not thinking too smart haha. thanks guys!!

op are you a fucking idiot.

seriously???

bury anything that you want bones from, in a fucking fire ant pile.

wait a few months??? fkin bones nigger

my dad did this with fish and sharks and such.

God I love Canadians. Best ppl on earth. I was gonna guess you fought a bear in the woods and he bit your foot, but you still managed to kick his ass and collect some bones. Stay safe, bro.

taxidermy.net/forum/index.php also a good start

yes I'm aware of those methods but I'm looking for a way to do it quicker, if there is one. that's why I'm asking around :)

biologist/naturalist fag reporting in

>build fire outside
>put on big barrel of water and get it roiling
>add bones
>let it boil until clean

In one of the labs here they use some kind of grub or worm to clean them. You can also follow up the above process with a bleaching run which should be obvious. Add clorox, no heat just soak.

It looks like the mosquitos went to town on your feet, also look into a beginner colony of flesh eating Beatles

> fire ants
> Canada
Try again

no I actually punched it a few times and scratched my back on a tree to fill my pores with that good ol maple syrup before I found these
Thanks! I'll search a lot of things soon.

Unexpected - never met another bone collector before, haha. Just google bone cleaning. The process your looking for is called maceration. This is literally leaving the bones submerged in water for several months. It creates a nasty bacteria soup, which will eat the flesh off the ones in time. Make sure it's enclosed, and be ready for some ungodly stench when you open it.

Bleaching or boiling bones is pretty bad for them, they can become either mushy or very brittle, but some people just aren't willing to wait as long at the other methods take.

Ahh, thanks bro!!
this thread brought a lot of things to life hah.

Oooh I have the same hobbie! Don't know what is it about bones that I love so much, but damn they make me happy. Unfortunately I have never pick up any of the bones I have seen or go to search them, the few I have I bought them from amazon and that. I would think that maybe there must be a liquid or something like that to remove the meat without damaging the bones, or maybe with time it will loose and will be easy ro remove. It's funny though, the other day I found the most perfect cat skull I have ever seen, it was a adult cat that probably die there a long time ago because it was just the skull without anything else, maybe the ants could help....?

fuck I'd pay you for that cat skull hahaha. but yeah bones make me happy too, they're so cool! idk what it is about them. and yeah, I'm trying to go through all possible methods here.

with letting them soak and then trying to scrub the flesh off damage the bone? I'd have to use something harder than a toothbrush, which has been my main cleaning tool.

>bone collector
>doesn't know bones
Kys

its a new hobby, I'm just tryingnto get into it and learn a little more of how to properly handle them :)

here are 2 more pics!

2/2