/daily/ - 'Not Worth Reading' edition

It's figuratively January.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Most importantly, pray the Armenian government is kind to SDC during his new life in prison.

Previously, on /hampus/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/FollowingLeader/daily/
youtube.com/watch?v=Wmjpp0_6kb0
youtu.be/PAvsEn8cty8
youtu.be/ieQ1rAIjzXc
youtu.be/hHs5AjAvFoA
youtu.be/Zh9lynUFikc
youtu.be/aNQvLECht08
youtube.com/watch?v=sPbtlFVV3X0
youtube.com/watch?v=FTjx1yWyKWw
youtube.com/watch?v=OasBTTMxa_U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for me

I just got an error message saying I was banned for posting pic related back in November. I think some mistake was realized because I did not post that, so now I'm back. WTF

Damn straight bitches, gotcha.

Dynamic IP.

/meme/

#FreeSdc
get it trending

ban dogevillage

Ban all /daily/ posters.
Also delete /daily/.
Image of children with guns.

Home & House
& Hardcore

post these things

Meme - Chitotetochi

The Georgia Sea Island Singers - Join the Band (2011)
>spirituals

My major complaint with this is pretty much the same as my complaint with that Sacred Harp comp: the jaunty, more upbeat tunes stick out like a sore thumb. The tracks with accompanying instruments generally fall into this category, I don't really like the ever so prominent flute, the songs end up getting somewhat stale, and something about this sound (like on "Beulah Land") just doesn't sit well with me. The sparse, solo, a cappella tracks, on the other hand, are astounding. Powerful, bone-chilling stuff, just like good gospel should be. Some tracks definitely bring this down, but the best stuff here is astounding. Thanks Triangle!

heard the meme album, its ok

How's the Xiu Xiu?

forget got leak?

also le seance

Last 7 days?

>Tim Buckley

yelling compton but u moved to riverside

I know. I hadn't heard it yet, not quite as good as happy sad though

it was my first xiu xiu experience so my opinion may or may not be valid
the first track was absolutely god awful, but there were some pretty good pop melodies throughout the rest. not as noisy as i was expecting either

catch i guess

Enjoyed most of this, though I haven't finished Salmon Run yet. Currents is a bit better than I remember, pretty good music for the car.

I'll listen to that blues album as soon as I get home, I have very limited access to Internet out here.

Hate to break it to you, but Blue Afternoon is not actually blues

Cool, I think you'll love it.

wot, it's got 'blue' right in the title ya doofus

hey yo daily rec me breakfast...

W A F F L E S
A
F
F
L
E
S

(I'm Australian, and that would require me to go to the shops)

nails

what do you guys even have

eat a boomerang idk

What should I do next?

>Convextion - Convextion
>Dub techno
Starts off great, but I got kinda bored towards the end. Would have been better off like 20 minutes shorter; an hour of repetitive techno is a little too much. Still, a nice album that is great to chill out to.

Activated almonds
Emu eggs
Cultured vegetables
Alkaline water
Homemade coconut

Sun City Meme

Vegemite

Vegemite on toast it is

(btw Kraft got bought out by a US company, it's technically American now, you're welcome)

i can't think of the last time i've eaten something besides a granola bar and coffee for breakfast

it's Coltrane time baby

Jangl it's 10.30 in the morning, what the fuck

First you tell yourself no drinks til 5pm, then you sneak a beer for lunch... next thing you know you're reviewing jazz drunk at 10am getting sassed online by a fucking Aussie.
What happened to my life, man.

?
I don't have that on my Playlist

Sounds like a great life desu

Cheers baby

Whoa, p cool
How is that book? Is it good? Thorough?
I've thought about getting it many times but I always worry it's gonna have a bunch of stuff I already know.

I can barely put it down, but only because I really like the topic, ya know? It's not terribly insightful, might be better off with Krautrocksampler if that's your aim. But it's sectioned off into a long essay/thinkpiece/review for each of biggest groups and the cultural circumstances surrounding them. Perfectly enjoyable, I think

I've been dealing with a lot of personal issues lately, but I appreciate you talking the time to respond. I hope putting me down somehow made you feel better.

John Coltrane - The John Coltrane Quartet Plays (1965)

Certainly a step backwards from the forward leap that was A Love Supreme. Initially reminiscent of My Favourite Things, this album features two covers and two Coltrane compositions in a strong hard bop style with the traditional charm and flare of the Coltrane Quartet. The songs have a certain endearing warmth to them, but the compositions, pacing and direction suggest that Coltrane is bored with the pieces. The last track nods to his recent spiritual direction, but fails to reach the heights of his last project, and feels less tight and more meandering.

The songs here leave a lot of open space for Coltrane to occupy, which often falls short of the high bar the jazz titan has set for himself on previous works. It’s almost as if someone is trying to communicate in a broken language; doing their best within the given constraints but ultimately doing a poor job conveying the message.

As far as the rest of the musicians, the compositional choices seem a little strange. It’s hard to pinpoint what is interplay, with the exception of Tyner who always does a terrific job leading the music. The drum tracks could almost have been recorded seperately and overlaid, without even hearing the other musicians. This isn’t to say the drums or sax work isn’t great alone, just that they fail to connect the space between as well as I’ve come to expect.

Not dissimilar to Crescent, the musicianship is there but they don’t seem to be treading the same wavelength, both stylistically and compositionally.

6.5 /10

does anyone here pay money to rateyourmusic.com? I'm curious about some track ratings

New chart, haven't been here in forever but whatever, school keeps one busy.

Quickspace - Death of Quickspace

Really fun album with tinges of melancholy. Great songwriting and instrumentation. Stupid catchy at points, too. Crazy how little I see this album on this board, it's just a blast.

Keiji Haino - Watashi Dake?

Haino's debut isn't anything crazy, but it shows him in a great stage of improvisational skill. Instruments are wildly varied, with each different track coming as something fresh. Nothing too insane, however, pretty basic Haino. Would be a great intro to anyone getting into Haino's usual solo fare.

Pale Cocoon - Cocoon

Strangely cozy and very spacey. Tracks range from pleasant to eerie, and the range of sounds the band puts forth is pretty impressive. Electronics mesh with acoustic instruments quite well, and the melodies are great as well. It is a tad long for it's content, in my opinion. FLALORM is particularly gorgeous.

Fela Kuti and Co. - Expensive Shit

Great use of twenty minutes, so much fun. Makes you want to dance. Awesome brass section, and Fela puts forth some great lyrics. Not much else to say. I wish it was a bit longer, but there is plenty of other Fela to fix that issue.

Izumi Macra - 愛ならば知っている

Cozy Japanese hip hop featuring a girl with a really cool voice. Izumi has a vocal range in the lower registers for a Japanese girl, and her flow compliments it well. Beats are nice, and the hooks are catchy as well. However, at about halfway I feel like turning it off. Not enough variation or interesting production. Good for background music, though.

Kinoko Teikoku - 愛のゆくえ

This band follows up last year's mediocre j-pop effort with more of the same, plus two token shoegaze tracks. It's really disappointed to see two great returns to form with a bunch of boredom in the middle, as the intro and outro are fantastic. Worth a listen for the beginning and end, but everything else is just too bubblegum.

Probably memein' but I hope you have a great day anyways :^)

>Dropkick Murphys - 11 Short Stories of Pain and Glory

>Celtic Punk, Punk Rock

I really did not expect to like this album as much as I did. And I kind of don't want to, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I had a really good time listening to this album. It's consistently fun, sometimes emotional and unexpectedly powerful. That being said, there's a few tracks that don't really do anything for me, and I didn't like the song Kicked to the Curb at all. Still, it was a really good listen.

3.5/5

rateyourmusic.com/list/FollowingLeader/daily/

Do Saudades right now :8)

Heavens to Betsy - Calculated (1994)
>riot grrrl

What a fucking riot. Occasionally a bit too lo-fi and cheap-sounding for it's own good, but I've never heard riot grrrl as angry and passionate as this. Corin Tucker's vocals are already passionate with Sleater-Kinney, but she sounds like she's out for blood on this thing, spitting out disturbing lyrics and raising her voice to the most distorted, bone-rattling scream I've ever heard on some of the most extraordinary tracks. Essential for any fans of riot grrrl or just punk in general.

3.0+

Western Skies Motel - Settlers (2016)
>ambient, american primitivism

It's alright, but ultimately it's just pretty, unassuming background music. The guitars have no edge or passion to them, they're pretty but pointless, and the airy reverb sounds amateur and almost like a mask for the uninteresting songs and guitar parts. I like it a lot when the electronics kick up and wash everything away in a bath of noise, and it picks up quite a bit towards the end, but I'm not a big fan.

2.0+

chris††† - No Lives Matter (2016)
>vaporwave, plunderphonics

Among the most innovative vaporwave I've heard, but it's a fucking mess and one that needs to take itself more seriously. "YTP Death" might be pretty nostalgic as I was a big fan of YouTube Poops when I was younger, but its more humorous edge brings the generally serious, dark album to a screeching halt, and it never regains the steam it had on the first couple tracks after it. The first five tracks are /really/ good though. Very dark, noisy, brutal stuff, still filled with samples but a lot more original and just plain interesting to listen to. Total mess, but really cool in its best moments.

2.5+

you alright friend?

i'm interested in that one, i'll do it real soon

I'm burned out on writing atm, but holy shit 12 Angry Men is one hell of a film.

shoutout to Persona with the nice rating, maybe my favorite film

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live!
>Soul, Funk

A nice live album from Mayfield, on par with most of what I’ve heard from him so far. This is clearly performed at a small, local venue and as a result it feels very stripped down and personal. All the tracks are great, with a nice number of cuts on here coming off his s/t debut. Certainly could’ve benefited from some of his Roots/Superfly cuts but this was performed before either of those. Also, this ends up feeling a bit lengthy. Ultimately a great album, especially considering I’m not usually big into live stuff. Definitely recommended if you like his material.

3.5/5

James Brown - The Payback
>Funk, Soul

This might be the tightest fucking album I’ve ever heard. Good lord. I started sweating halfway through the title track this shit is so hot. Brown hoots, hollers, screams and yelps all throughout this album and it’s some of the most passionate music I’ve heard. The brass sections on these tracks are fantastic and just add a great uplifting, energetic vibe - even more than I’m accustomed to in funk. The extended soloing on this is absolutely magnificent as well. “Shoot Your Shot” in particular has some killer solos - they only get better as the song continues. And the percussion? Don’t even get me started on that hand drumming, whew.

The weakest aspect of this is the slower soul tracks. “Doing the Best I Can” drags a bit and “Forever Suffering” feels a bit out of place after the preceding funk tracks. That being said, they’re still great. Plus, they do a great job of breaking up the album... if this was straight funk, it might be a bit too much to handle. I hesitate to give this a perfect score after so few listens but honestly, it’s pretty phenomenal. I could see this becoming a 5 in the near future.

For now… 4.5/5

yeah, deserves every single bit of praise its gotten. why a 6- for vertigo though?

the payback fucking kicks ass, glad you liked it. i've gotta listen to that curtis album.

I do, why?

Also, 98.12.28 is super OP

holy shit that Long Season rating Fucking Nice
can you show me Deceit?

What is your least favourite song on 98.12.28?

Now is real soon :^)

here you are

honestly, I would say the subscription is totally worth it.

thanks
thats surprising to me, maybe i'll give it a whirl

>THAT LITTLE BITCH GOT HER THROAT, FUCKED!

Is this what the kids are listening to these days?
youtube.com/watch?v=Wmjpp0_6kb0

I fell asleep watching that movie in a high school class and I've heard nothing but good things about it since. Definitely a regretful moment in my life.

Never gone back and watched it in full though, maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

It's incredible dude, why have I not listened to more James Brown?

Long Season is for sure a beauty but I find myself listening to ゆらめき in the Air,
ナイトクルージング, and the In the Flight/Walking in the Rhythm combo more often.

It's near perfect though, that's hard man.

this dude just posted a suicide not on twitter :/

i use you to wash clothes lmao

acting crazy is his gimmick, he's done this before apparently

still, hope he's alright

Pick 1 song fishman I know it will hurt you.

>why have I not listened to more James Brown?
i wonder the same about myself, i think i've only listened to the payback.

Wait for the full review, but I think it's a general rule of thumb with these boys that the longer the song the better it is

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHH

It honestly changes. There was a week during the summer where I listened to nothing but tracks four through seven.

Right now though, my favorite has to be ゆらめき in the Air. It's just fucking bliss man.

>full review
very excite actually pls pan it

Not sure you'd recover. Why I never rec my near-and-dear favorites in tourneys

I've spent about five minutes trying to figure out what this response even means.

He uses wool to get stuff out of his clothes while washing them.

ONE
SONG
FISHMAN

Also do you like the studio In The Air or live better? Haven't heard the studio yet.

I felt as if the love relationship could have been characterized more. It seem to have been plucked out of the air, and lacked emotional weight. (It's late, so don't expect coherent thoughts).

Ohhhh lol. Wasn't even thinking about my Trip honestly

very true, it just kinda immediately comes out of nowhere.

aqam "panned" it but really just said it wasn't for him.

Out of my 85 friends that rated it, only 3 people gave it below a 3.5: aqam, jim jazz, and herb guy. It's an average rating of 4.41 from those friends, but I think that's mostly because people that really like Fishmans add me a lot due to the whole translation thing.

If you do give it below a 4.0 you should add a review there, because that'll be the lowest review it's gotten so far.

Also, I'm technically "cheating" again because it is #170 overall.

I'm dead serious about it. I really can't choose a favorite. It's probably Walking in the Rhythm or In the Air though.

Also, I like the live version better. The Studio one is really fantastic and has a more crisp beginning "build up" but I think that "drop" moment about 2:20 into the studio version really floored me for some reason when I first heard it. It's just something so subtle and unique I've never heard before. Also, there's the fact that this single was the last studio song Fishmans ever released. God knows what else they would've done had they been able to go on longer.

However, the live version has a lot of interesting intricacies and vibrant violins and percussion. Plus, that moment when the bass cues all the instrument to come back in is fantastic.

The studio version is on youtube and only about 13 minutes. Definitely worth a listen if you liked the live version.

No your least favourite ya goof.

inb4 thank you

post good anime openings
youtu.be/PAvsEn8cty8
youtu.be/ieQ1rAIjzXc
youtu.be/hHs5AjAvFoA
youtu.be/Zh9lynUFikc
youtu.be/aNQvLECht08

oh

lol

i'm retarded

Melody probably. I know 幸せ者, 頼りない天使, and ひこうき get a lot of hate, but I think each of them makes an improvement in a unique in compelling way. For being a mid-career song, I think Fishmans did very little to develop this track in comparison to the others, though I do really enjoy the added guitar effects and tiny synthy-intricacies added in.

fuck off Thank You is sick.

youtube.com/watch?v=sPbtlFVV3X0

:^)

i agree i guess i just had you pegged wrong, fishboy

Can we talk about how unique Fishmans live shows were for a sec??? Take this shit for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=FTjx1yWyKWw

Even if you're not really interested in the song, just skip to 2:00 in and watch for a couple minutes. Not only that breakdown is totally weird and bogus, but what they add on top of it is crazy too.

tfw when can't find the entire Liquid Room set anywhere, and is probably on one of the crazy expensive Space Shower DVDs you only have one of ;__;

Thank You is AWESOME and WEIRD. The lyrics are about fruit and shit yo. Fruit kicks ass. The synth effects kick ass too.

Do you listen to that album every day or something?

Wild ass stats you got memorized there

No but maybe every week or so. At least a few times a month.

I just looked it up lol

Yo also I was thinking of giving Orange a listen, it it worth it if I thought Kuchu Camp was barely a 3

I think Orange > Kuchu Camp honestly. Neo Yankee's is super underrated, though unless you like Orange a lot I don't think it's really worth it.

If you like Neo Yankee's and want more, you could listen to Chappie (but probably won't like it) and Long Season '96~7 96.12.26 which is basically a more roots-dub version of 98.12.28

I didn't really answer your question but if you wanted a less slow, more interesting version of Kuchu Camp with more pop and funk elements I would absolutely try out Orange.

youtube.com/watch?v=OasBTTMxa_U

Alright cool I'll try it out soon, give it a 2.0 and call you a fag. Thanks.

bich no

Does everyone remember that time I finally found the location of the Long Season bridge after looking forever?

God I'm such a fag

sick trips me

"thanks"

steeeeeeeeeeeek