Is Makoto Shinkai the Terrence Malick of animation?

Btw, what do you guys think about his works?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/000-km-Second-Manuele-Fior/dp/1606996665
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why would you post this here instead of Sup Forums?

They're just pretty. Ain't even animated that well, there's barely any actual character animation at all. Plots are dry, vapid and predictable. Pretty bad. Malick is much better.

Well, here's my 2 shekels

>voices of a distant star 9/10
>the place promised in our early days 9/10
>2 inches/sec 7,5/10
>agartha 9,5/10, miyazaki-tier
>garden of words 8/10

He's the best animated film director after Kon croaked.

Animated films are still films lad.

To draw a parallel between his style and other directors and, well, because technically he is still a filmmaker.

Because he's a child

Just look at this
>Makoto Shinkai the Terrence Malick

not only does he not know sweet fuck about cinema
he knows nothing about chinese cartoons which would get him chased out of Sup Forums right away

>He's the best animated film director after Kon croaked.
what about hosoda? i think he is good too

>He's the best animated film director after Kon croaked.

What a fucking pleb.

Malick has done exactly one good film(albeit a great one) in his entire career and is generally a navel-gazing infuriatingly narrating hack.

Still better than this hack.

>film is a narrative medium

>not only does he not know sweet fuck about cinema
I'm not stating that he is, I'm asking your opinion because I have seen some comments about it.

I was thinking about him, but Summer Wars is garbage imho tebehe. Haven't seen Boy and the Beast yet but I've heard it's not that great. Wolf Children is amazing though. I'd rate him higher but he seems inconsistent

(You)

protip OP

>read this

amazon.com/000-km-Second-Manuele-Fior/dp/1606996665

Yes it is

No he isn't

>anime

Fuck off, Sup Forumseddit retards.

>Yes it is
If you want a story, read a book.

I much prefer Hosoda's work.
Summer Wars is his worst yeah. It's just a retelling of Our War Game which does the premise better despite being a 30 minute digimon special.

>I much prefer Hosoda's work.
why?

>Malick has done exactly one good film
Tell us its name, kiddo

That image speaks the truth.

If you want a collage of pretty pictures watch Bob Ross. Story and character are the driving force of film as an artistic medium and no amount of memery will make it otherwise.

Take a guess

Needs warcraft

>Yes it is
This is a type of limited thinking. Films are not just for telling stories with a beginning, middle and end. Good directors transcend this structure. Malick is one of them. Shinkai is not.

It'll take Bob Ross many hours to make 24 frames per second. People like you are the reason film is still shackled to literature and theater and isn't as firmly established as its own medium with its own aesthetic system.

All his films save for Badlands are above 3/5

You tell me

Malick only transcends logic, reason or reasons to not fall asleep. I'm not saying images can't be haunting, but they're just that, pretty images, unless I care about what's going on otherwise.

I assume because he likes The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a lot

Oshii is literally the Malick of anime.

5 cm per second is a masterpiece. Better and more sincere than any work of Malick.

This

>Oshii is literally the Tarkovski of anime.
ftfy

You posted memery and coherent argument
>people like you
Fuck off

Of course it's Badlands, everything else he did is pretentious garbage

Kill yourself, smile

Tarkovski is one of his influences. Angel's Egg is Stalker 2D.

>everything else he did is pretentious garbage
Pretentious why?

There is literally nothing tying the religious imagery of Angel's Egg with Stalker

OK, that slipped, "pretentious" is usually a stupid word to use, and a lazy one. Do you want an explanation, are you interested in discussing this, or do you want memes?

Kill yourself, smile.

Explanation.

Maybe he is a furfag.

missing jojo

He's as one-note as Terrence Malick.

>You posted memery
It's not my fault absolute kinography became a meme, dumbshit.

Summer Wars was his best. Wolf Children is downright cringeworthy.

>5cm/second is literally the story of my life
>this literal manchild virgin says that the plot is dry, vapid and predictable
I'm going to find you and I'm going to kill you

>muh plot
Do you exclusively listen to opera? What's the narrative of a symphony?

Badlands: teenage love
The Thin Red Line: WWII
The New World: historical romance
The Tree of Life: family, forgiveness and death

The last films I agree that they are repeating the style of Tree of Life, but overall, Malick is far less obvious and repetitive than Shinkai.

>>this literal manchild virgin says that the plot is dry, vapid and predictable
not him but it is.

I can only talk about 2,5 of his films besides Badlands

1) Thin Red line
Saw it, liked it... in parts. Because it had a huge number of characters, the story suffered, if there is such a thing in a Malick film. At first it was Caviezel and Koteas. But then, actors just started popping up. Oh, look it's Nick Nolte. And Sean Penn. And John Travolta. Oh, off they go. Oh, we'll never see them again will we? OK then. The monologues were interesting at first but then they became insufferable. And in the end, the movie ended up being a disjointed mess. I literally saw it a year ago but can't tell you who's who, what battle they took part in or what they were doing. Shit, I don't even remember who dies and who doesn't. This move might have been saved by an editor, but apparently, having 3 and not one mangled it. Nice pictures from time to time. Music's nice. I liked Brody and Koteas in it. That's about it.

>New World
Heinous. This one especially was so monologue driven, treehugging, sky gazing I couldn't stand it. I just wanted Pocahontas to shut the fuck up about "mother nature" for 5 minutes and some thing to actually happen. Oh look, Colin Farrell left me. Better monologue about it. Oh look, Batman married me and he's chopping wood like a husband ought to. Better start monologuing. Christopher Plummer is one of my favorite actors and I just now realized he was in it. He got lost in all this philosophizing about the Great Mother and trees and other hippie prattle. The plot is even more nonexistent than in TTRL. And the shaky camera annoyed the shit out of me. Oh, and the music is not as good, Horner never was quite up there with Zimmer was he?

>The Tree ofLife
If you wondered about the 2.5 films, here's the 0,5. I fell asleep 40 minutes in, so I'd love to talk about it but I really can't.

That's it. I haven't watched Days of Heaven, and I don't think I ever will. I loved Badlands though, so I guess there's that

If you don't think plot, script or characters are important, why the fuck are you even watching films? How drunk on maymays are you?

BEST:
WORST:
FAVORITE:
OVERRATED:
UNDERRATED:

GO

I watched 5cm/sec and it was just pure kitsch.

>it's memes because I'm a cinema fetus

Give up or go back to whatever medium you crawled out of

So just like Malick?

I actually like Malick but a lot of his films, especially his more recent output, have some quite tacky bits and border on kitsch. His fanbase on Sup Forums is insufferable too.

Why do you watch films if you don't care about the plot?

Setting is irrelevant, it's always the same few motifs.

Opera and symphonic music are not the same thing you mongoloid scum. Opera is narrative and character driven, at least in part. Jesus Christ, are you retarded?

Looking forward to his next movie?

> Unable to confess, he is gifted with by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

> But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

> Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

Got it. Thank you. Many people say that, that like his films, but only in parts. Maybe that's why he is accused of pretentious, because he can not achieve the desired consistency.

Well, I still think he's more honest than guys like Inarritu.

That's what I meant you tard. If you love narrative so much is the only music you listen to opera?

what is being kitsch?

Best: The New World
Worst: Days of Heaven
Overrated: The Thin Red Line
Underrated: Knight of Cups

>it was boring, I fell asleep
The new Marvel movie has a good plot, did you see that yet?

Can't even get the entire pasta right.

Innaritu can be summed in
>preBabel phase
Interesting conceptual phase, 21 grams is amazing and so is Amores perros

>Malick phase
Babel and everything after, horribly overdirected films(if there is such a thing) where he just feels he has so many important things to say, when in fact he really doesn't. I'd take Birdman over anything that Malick has done(except Badlands). Make of that what you will. I'd still rather watch Innaritu rather than Malick, becaus ehe gives his actors some reign and you can actually get some good performances. Pelts was great for example

If it's a visual medium then cut the existential poetry voice-over trash.

I don't watch live action capeshit.

Can you strawman harder?

Even so, there is a variation. it is not just boy thinks about girl and blablabla. otherwise, the Bergman and Hitchcock are also one-note.

>the opposite of narrative is pure visuals
This is what anime has done to this board

>I'd take Birdman over anything that Malick has done(except Badlands)

>Can you strawman harder?
It's an analogy. If you can enjoy a symphony there's no reason you can't enjoy a non-narrative film. But apparently all you care about is plot plot plot.

Not one argument coming out of your mouth. I have seen more reasonable and coherent discussion on Sup Forums, Sup Forums, Sup Forums than here. Make a point or fuck off you memeloving cocksucker

I don't know, Malick knows how to be lighter. For me, Keaton half-naked walking the streets was the certificate of lack of subtlety.

You're still strawmanning. You can tell a narrative through visuals, which is the magic of filmmaking. Not having a narrative is a coffin for a film. Herzog documentaries have better structure than Malick films

>I'd take Birdman over anything that Malick has done(except Badlands).
Nu/tv/ everyone

This is what swaglord has wanted after all these years of trying to ruin this board

>You're in a box. A moving box. They want you dead, or in their lie... There's only one thing a man can do - find something that's his, and make an island for himself. If I never meet you in this life, let me feel the lack; a glance from your eyes, and my life will be yours.

>We. We together. One being. Flow together like water. Till I can't tell you from me. I drink you. Now. Now.

>Look at this jungle. Look at those vines, the way they twine around, swallowing everything. Nature's cruel, Staros.

>Maybe all men got one big soul everybody's a part of, all faces are the same man
Nothing but cringe.

I've only ever seen Voices of a Distant Star and 5cm/s which were both fantastic.
and his Her and Her Cat (?) short which was solid for a 5 minute short.

I don't know man, I just liked Keaton and Noton in it.

Not one argument coming out of your mouth yet.

>says others don't have an argument
>anything he doesn't like is memes
You really are from Sup Forums. Here's an argument: having voiceovers doesn't make for a narrative. A non-narrative film isn't supposed to be silent. If you had actually seen films beyond capeshit and anime you'd understand that.

Wow you sound stupid. You're generalizing a director because you've seen 3.5 of his films. Days of Heaven is more like Badlands than any other films. And you've seen the beginning of ToL. How can you honestly discuss it? You haven't even attempted his most recent two works? Holy shit

>"Tyrion reflected on the men who had been Hand before him, who had proved no match for his sister’s wiles. How could they be? Men like that... too honest to live, too noble to shit, Cersei devours such fools every morning when she breaks her fast."

Yikes

You literally haven't addressed anything I said here. Only some vague memes about capeshit and anime. Don't bother replying to me anymore until you do

This isn't an argument though. I'm just letting everyone know what went wrong and who is responsible

>You can tell a narrative through visuals, which is the magic of filmmaking.
Again you seem to have the autistic definition of film absolutely being about narrative. Is it any coincidence that you only find this kind of retardation in a thread about anime?

That's my point. What differentiates the cringe and kitsch from the genuine poetry? What separates Malick from Tarkovsky? Or both are the same?

I saw 1/2 of his films. I think I can make an educated guess how his others turned out. And I said I can'd discuss it you mong, are you having trouble reading?

Still, haven't addressed my points.

What did you say? You found things boring and pretentious and fell asleep. How can I address the fact that you're operating on the level of a child?

What is a film then? Why isn't narrative important? Why aren't characters important?

Yes, hang on to ToL, as if I haven't talked about TTRL and NW. Nice memes.

>everything I don't agree with is a meme
I can only tell you to watch some Bresson before I ask you to fuck off back to Sup Forumsutismland.

I don't want to. Explain to me how I'm wrong before sending me to watch a French photographer's body of work

And sports are aired on television. Doesn't mean we discuss it here.

All these Malick fans and none with any sort of cohesive argument. It's funny how memes work.

Days of Heaven is good, the plot is interesting.

Btw, to everyone who saw DoH, the final speech of the gril, was about her life, right?

Because no one here is interested in sport dickweed whereas it's literally a chinese cartoon fansite and it's impossible to discuss it on Sup Forums because it's even more full of whining pedos than Sup Forums.

Did anyone save the thread with the literal pedos? It was around nighttime(yeah yeah, youropoor) and it started with the Elijah Wood shit he said about Brian Synger. There were at least 2-3 pedos in the thread

Shinkai is pretentious. And there are people who think 5cm is realistic.

>looks pretty but no real substance
Yes.

>9/10
Voice was bad.

>looks pretty but no real substance
in the case of shinkai, I agree.