Could it be possible to build a computer completely out of scratch and i mean completely like go outside and collect...

Could it be possible to build a computer completely out of scratch and i mean completely like go outside and collect and mine all the iron and copper and so on and make the wires myself and so on? I've wondered about this, that how the hell creating these thinks from bunch of sand and rocks is possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

ted.com/talks/thomas_thwaites_how_i_built_a_toaster_from_scratch?language=en
monster6502.com/
megaprocessor.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

well, think about it.
how do you make the boards? you think it magically appears out of moot's ass? no. it was made through mining gold, sand, steel, etc..

No, but like regular guy without the factory, just at home.

Well you're on a computer, and the people who made that computer had to get everything from somewhere.

ted.com/talks/thomas_thwaites_how_i_built_a_toaster_from_scratch?language=en

see this toaster as an example

There is enough residual stock of old individual transistors in the world to build moderately complex circuits but it would take you a long time to build anything internet-ready in the way you use a computer now.

Yes companies mine those products, then refine them, then sell them to companies that turn them into resistors wires etc. Then those companies sell their products to other companies that use them to build boards etc then those companies either make their own computers or sell them to companies that do.

You could do it, technically, but you would have to build the tools you need to build the tools you need to build the machinery to make the chips you would need.

You'd basically have to reinvent every technological advance that led to modern computers.

I'll read that.

yes, silly, that's how computers are made

Some guy built a 6502 (old 8 bit processor) out of discrete components

monster6502.com/

>ould it be possible to build a computer completely out of scratch and i mean completely like go outside and collect and mine all the iron and copper and so on and make the wires myself and so on?

"Nobody knows how to build a pencil"

Quote I remember from an essay titled "i, Pencil"

Good read.

OP's not asking if computers are conjured, you fuckwit.

Sort of. You could go to your local electronics store and then design and assemble a system yourself - though it would be unlikely that it would be terribly useful, as are most homebrew computers.

You'd have to:

Find lithium batteries for your motherboard
Find tin
Find a way to melt iron
Find a way to melt copper
Have at least the most basic knowledge in computer science
Find steel
Find a way to put all the parts inside a box
Find out how to make USB
Find LED
Find a way of how to turn on the 'computer' without burning your house down.

High tech is some superhuman alien tier shit, it really is.

i know this is b8 but ill respond.
theoretically yes.
you could build a 4bit system and it would be fucking huge and would cost you like 2 years of work.
the biggest problem here, that you have on a modern CPU like 5k transistors. also you need to purify your metals to make them actually. you wont have a graphical interface, sound, a useable mouse and a keyboard.
could you still call this a pc with standards we have atm? i dont think so.

Not bait, i just see nobody ever wondering about this, of course you can buy the CPU and motherboard and screen and so on from store, but how these thinks are truly made from rocks and oil into a device that let's you watch videos and chat thousands of miles away is insane.

EDIT:
megaprocessor.com/
if you're really interested in the subject.

well silicium is probably the most important componant, because its needed to make semiconductors work. silicium is esentially nothing else but sand.
the production of a cpu in industry is actually fairly easy. engineers make an architect for a cpu virtually, and print the layout on the platine. since our technology is advancing more and more, you can print the layouts on slimmer platines or utilze the space. thats why the gap between GTX 980 and GTX 1080 is so big. they lowered the distance between the transistors on your core, which resulted in more transistors in the same space.
transistors are the key component of a CPU and GPU. they do the mathematical work.