Any Les Paul fans out there, is it worth buying one?

Any Les Paul fans out there, is it worth buying one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g7-5io1muSQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah I like them they got a soft warm sound. If you have enough money buy one.

too heavy
neck too thick
not 24 frets

Go for it, had one for 20 or so years, nice tone etc.
Heavy compared to a strat, but i always like the weight.

As already said if you've got the money why not.

I've had a strat for a while, it's good but it's too light, sound is too bright and the neck is so small it kinda cramps up my hands. 10/10 would buy a les paul today if I had the $$ Custom Shop too none of that USA crap

May sound dumb but I really do prefer my Les Paul junior than my Les Paul

What is your other les paul? It would be understandable if it's not a custom shop r9 or somethin like that

Depends entirely on your playstyle and preferences.

Classic 60's psychedelic rock, and some classic rock

"Top of the heap." - Nigel Tufnel

youtube.com/watch?v=g7-5io1muSQ

I don't even know what it is, it was the cheapest Gibson LP I could find

That dude is sooooooooooooooo permafried lol

I had purchased one earlier this year but returned it after about a week. I realized I was really just in love with the looks of it and to actually owning one but the honeymoon period wore off fast. They are too heavy, too expensive, too many knobs, switch in wrong place, constant slipping out of tune and I couldn't see myself taking it to gigs

Save up for a PRS IMO

lol, you're kidding right? you've never seen spinal tap? are you like 12?

> DBZ Bolero Calavera

If you do, go for an older one and shop second hand. Past ~5 years for Gibson have been trash for QC.
But yeah, pick up a Custom 24 for the same price and thank yourself later

I've tried PRS's but they are only as half as good as a Les Paul to me, remember you guys Gibson and lots of guitar shops do a half ass job of setting up a guitar (Like Guitar Center). When it is set up properly and you have the right pickups it plays like butter

Lol no but I wish I was 12

If he hasn't seen Spinal Tap, he must do so. Mandatory viewing!

If you do purchase one, don't purchase off eBay or at a pawn shop because I've noticed a couple of Chibsons at mine.

You're dropping thousands on a guitar, you shouldn't need to change the pickups to make it sound good

Some pickups are too hot tho, like on the Les Paul Customs they are the 498t which are rated at like 15 ohms or something like that compared to a 57 classic that is at 8 ohms so yea it would be kind of a good idea, and shit I guess I will watch spinal tap seeing as it is now mandatory

SMELL THE GLOVE!!!!

Les Paul is dead. I'm not digging up his corpse and selling it. That is illegal.

He's not buried

Oh shit this thread turned dark real fast

I have huge hands and the best strat neck I've ever played is on the SRV signature. It's like holding a baseball bat. My daily players though are a zakk wylde les paul and the thunderhorse Explorer.

Most the faggots on here are 12.

I have the Studio and it is amazing. But it really depends on the type of music you want to play.

"The question is, how much more black could it be? And the answer is none. None more black."

DUDE WHY ARE U EVEN ASKING OMG

That has to be the dumbest joke I have ever heard. Are you that retarded that you can't come up with a better joke than that to get attention to you worthless ass?

>12
Actually most of the faggots here only go to 11
>see it goes to 11

It's like a baseball bat? They are only like .830 compared to a Les Paul R8 that has a neck of .920 at the first fret. Weird I'll give one a try when I get the chance

anyway i bought mine 9 years ago and i still love it! A Gibson is forever! anyway try to buy some old ones.. The new stuff sucks compared to mine

Don't get a new one, new Gibsons are really built like shit, especially for the price.

Also be super duper careful with them as they have extremely fragile headstocks

Good to hear my man, Gibson Les Paul it is then! I'll take three :D

What model did you get? I got my Studio 22 years ago.

Thin necks are for faggots, girls, or people with bad technique. You switch from Ibanez etc. necks to a (modern) Gibson neck and you know how much it actually helps to not have a neck that requires pinching your fingers to support your hand with the thumb from the back. It just is more natural.

LP's are just way too pricey, and i much prefer Strats, but i've been thinking of buying one of those Chibsons from aliexpress and modding it, i'll probably go with a Goldtop to lower the chance of chinese finish sloppiness. They're onlly like $300 at most but it's a gamble, some are great and some are shit, they apparently have good customer service so as long as you film your unboxing and show them that somethings wrong they'll send you a free one.

I got one. Amazing sound and construction, really worth the money. Though if you're a big guy the guitar might be a bit small for you and you'll have to get used to the angled neck.

"She knows."

Fuck Chibson, fuck it in the asshole with a big brown dick. Too many people get sold those piece of shit things thinking they are real and then they end up coming on here or another forum saying all Les Paul's are shit.

I actually find myself preferring my ESP over my LP these days. I even had a play around on a friend's 'high-end' LTD and liked that more than my LP.

Chibson? How fucking retarded are you? Even if you meant to misspell it, no one knows what the fuck you mean. We should all listen to someone that doesn't know what the fuck is going on in reality. Kill yourself idiot.

Once again if it's a non Custom Shop LP I can see why some brands are better. USA LP's don't really play well and are run of the mill where as a Custom Shop reissue properly set up plays like butter

>Are you that retarded that you can't come up with a better joke than that to get attention to you worthless ass?
I wrote Pro Tools. Less Paul was a dumb fuck that could only play shit and has not knowledge of FFTs and frequency response of instruments. Dave kept me from throwing a fist at Less when he didn't know about bridge finger positions and the relationship with digital filters. I told them to all fuck off. Went to Rainbow Bar. Drank, fought and sobered up two days later. Purged the code written on the POS Compaq that used to filter Less' authentic scales. Less loved and hated me. The dumb ass could not even do an algebraic equation dissection his POS guitar that he poured whiskey on to make "sound better." I fucked his groupies for standing up to him. Still wondering if there are children of mine I don't know about.

I used to play when I was around 13-18 and then stopped. 10 years later I was given this guitar and I'm playing again. Mostly Iron Maiden to be honest.

Lol you're the idiot, LOOK UP A CHIBSON YOU RETARD. It's a Chinese made Gibson copy that PLAYS LIKE SHIT. DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE POSTING

Never had one, but and LTD EC-1000 worked wonders for me, got it after I had an EC-50 and fell in love.

>agreed
But you ever play an SG, heavy as shit, shit frets, and balls out design.

Bro I never heard chibson before but I figured in less than a minute it was some fake shit which was why he was saying avoid it, and being "chi" and knowing china is renowned for its counterfeit goods, it's really not difficult to figure out.

>Chinese made Gibson copy that plays like shit.

So a pretty accurate Gibson copy then

Wow it seems like everyone that has played a gibson has gotten those ones that got set up in a hurry. Gibsons are not shit if they are set up properly, Does anyone even know what a set up is? NO Cause y'all are all a bunch a bitches

Why are Gibson owners always so butthurt about Gibson jokes? Is it cuz deep down they know how shit the guitar is for the price?

Who said I'm a Gibson owner?

So I am an idiot for not connecting a knock off to a Gibson? I don't deal with leftover shit like you idiots, I don't do research for some nigger posting his drunken idiotic opinion. This guy is asking about a REAL Gibson Les Paul. I don't give a fuck about a knockoff. The fact that you did the "research" then you are his little bitch about his pathetic opinion. Fucking die loser.

You, in fewer words.

(you)

I reckon get an esp or e-ii eclipse, better than any les paul i've played. If you're not into emg's or active pups you can get a model with duncans in em

I love the looks and the sound but Gibson quality has gone to shit recently. Buy a pre 2000 one. You can get them a lot cheaper than a new one and the build quality is just so much better. Of course they're heavy but if you're not a manlet you'll have no problem with that.
If it has to be a new one go for the Traditional T. The Standard T is way too expensive for what you get and the HP line is pure shit.

Your best bet is guitar center. Every one I've ever been in has at least one pre owned

Sounds like someone is up past his bedtime. Don't worry all kids get cranky after their bedtime

I am jealous. How drunk are you? You are too stupid to make a decent response and too drunk to type "I know you are but what am I" Retardation never dies in this world.

if you could be bothered to explain what a proper set up is then you might be worth the oxygen you breathe. Probably not though, right?

What a pathetic response. Stating a point only to get a response of bullshit. Classic dumb ass. Enjoy mediocrity.

I would counter that question with a question, how old are you? Here's the truth, 90% of guitarists really stop playing around 20 years old or so... even the guys that played hours a day (like me).

The honest to god truth is every kid thinks they're gonna be successful rock stars, actors, directors, authors, etc. When you realize you aren't gonna be a successful musician, the desire to play much seems to fade. Not to mention everyone becomes a boring old person after a while, years at mindlessly repetitive jobs for 40 hours a week dims your passion for life and you just quit....

tl;dr
I'd say this is the kind of large investment that you don't make until you know you're committed to being a lifelong guitarist.

I own a Les Paul standard that I purchased when I was 16 with the money from my summer job. It hasn't been played for years now. Maybe twice a year I strum around on my accoustic, maybe relearn a few of the cool old songs I know to impress chicks, that's about it as far as my playing goes...

Not a waste of oxygen if my fingers do all the work lol, Anyway a set-up has to do with the fret heights and level, the finger binding, the fret bevels , pickup height, pickup pole height, bridge height and the height from the fretboard to the strings (Also called the action). if all of those are perfect then you got a good guitar but lately gibson just doesn't give a shit and the send them out with a poor set up which results in these sore losers swearing off of gibson for life and cussing at anyone who owns one saying they are shit. By the way it's all in the hands, a great guitarist can make the shittiest guitar sound dreamy, don't believe me? It's probably cause you're a shit guitarist that can't even make a amazing guitar sound good.

>thinking that everyone who dislikes LP's own Chibsons

spotting Chibsons is easy as fuck, they're almost never a 1 piece body, a 5 second inspection of the thing and you'd know it was a fake.

Opees probably long gone but do you actually like the sound of it go on youtube and look up les paul vs strat vs tele sound test.

This is op here dude, and yea all the time, I own a strat right now, and I've played tele's but they are too bright of a sound, but a Les Paul sounds good but I just wanted to justify and see what other people think, didn't go so well as you can see lol

cool. I mentioned earlier I've only just started playing so these are good things to know.

SHILLARY BTFO!

This. Gibson quality control is dogshit now.

Apart from that, nice.

Is anyone actually speaking from experience from owning one or playing one in a store? Big difference. Once it's yours you can set it up to your liking but in store if it's a shit set up there is nothing you can do about it

Yup, I have a 92 Studio that I loved from day one. Never had a single issue with it. Bought a les paul standard ltd edition in 2005, tone pot started crackling after a few months, had to recut the nut myself because strings were sticking in the grooves, input jack died after a year. Since then it's been ok, but as people have said, you drop that much money on a guitar, you want it to be A1 out of the shop

Overpriced garbage. I am on my third JEM now, it's the best guitar I have evere played. I am going to buy several more over the years.

Imho, LPs are an important guitar historically but they are heavily overrated. Everything about them is just 'ok'. Not something you want from a high end guitar worth that much.

On a personal level, they are way too heavy, the weight is poorly distributed and the design is not intuitive. They also look like ass to me, but that's pretty subjective.

This. You're paying for the brand.
They aren't easy to take apart either. There's not a lot of room to move if you need to replace anything.

>too heavy
>manlet detected
Dude just buy the Frampton model. Super lightweight and plays phenomenally

they're aight

for the money you can get an objectively better guitar, but no other guitar has that subjective component of being a les paul. imo if you like playing the chunky LP style guitar you'd do better to buy a nice lawsuit copy from japan or even a newer korean make like agile or harley benton for dirt cheap. For the price of a US gibson there is so much more that you can get from other makes that it's just not worth it for any reason other than owning a LP.

Get a Les Bear instead, faggot.

Sorry I don't live in Murica

I could never get used to them. As soon as I got near fret 12 or 15 my fingers went dumb. I bought and sold about 3 of them before I realized it was because there was no top route. On a strat you can hook your thumb over top of the neck higher up the neck. On a tele it's not an issue because the neck/body pocket connection is thinner.

It sucks too because nothing sounds as amazing as a LP and a plexi.

So I'm stuck with a 335 and an SG for the Gibson sound. Close but not quite.

Yes, go to all the guitar shops around and let them know that you are looking for an older les Paul, took me 6 months but got my glp for $600. My go to guitar and I own 15 including a fender strat. Been playing around 30 years

the mid 90's were good years.

Get a les paul R0 it has the thin neck you desire my friend

It's more about weight distribution. My tele is heavy as balls but it's balanced well.

He dialed his rage up to 11

>not getting a gibson SG with fat humbuckers and painting it tie dye

I'll paint you tie dye instead then. Beano was the better guitar anyway

yes, gold-top ftw

I have a gold top

You'll need to spend quite the money to get a nicely built and nice playing les paul. And still, if youre find a ver nice LP, it wont be worth the money, to be honest.
For that money youre could get a suhr, knaggs (for that LP vibe), anderson, etc.
The shitty thing is that only an LP sounds like an LP... But not worth it, IME.
Here's my Standard. One of the nicest playing LPs give ever played. One of the few that keeps in tune at the g string. Still, prefer my other guitars, tbh.

yes!

I think that's what I'm gonna get when I get the $$ saved up cause for some reason the Gold Top looks better than a flame top unless its one that in the pic I posted at the beginning of the thread. The neck is my favourite size too I love them chuncky necks!

Meh I'm going for the sound too not just the looks, a Gibson is probably my best bet out of them all idk why but it just seems to be what I'm looking for.