ITT: Magnum opus albums

ITT: Magnum opus albums

Making Movies and Love over Gold are better

Brothers In Arms [Warner Bros., 1985]

"Money For Nothing" is a catchy sumbitch, no getting around it, and side one moves with a simple generosity not often associated with this studio guitarist's ego trip. But it's too late for the ol' bluesboy to suck us in with his ruminations about the perfidy of woman and the futility of political struggle, and "Money For Nothing" is also a benchmark of pop hypocrisy. "See that little faggot with the earring". Why not "little nigger with the spitcurl" instead? Mark? And while we're at it, how the hell did you end up on MTV? By spelling its name right? C+

>excusing that garbage smooth jazz track

More like shit music for old fat truckers

>The little faggot with the earring and the makeup
>Yeah buddy that's his own hair
>That little faggot got his own jet airplane
>That little faggot, he's a millionaire

Damn, it was really a different time.

Why is Christgau such a nu male cuck?

it's ironic so it's okay.

I didn't know Raimi was writing Dire Straits lyrics

I agree with this very much. One of the albums I would consider close to perfect.

Nah

>cheeserock
>good
kys

> Your latest trick is a solid cut.

This album

bump

worst DS album

Money for Nothing [Warner Bros., 1988]

An active member of the Fraternal Order of Old Farts since birth, Mark Knopfler has always identified simply, spontaneously, and soddenly with anybody who's bitter because life has passed him by--no, not "him or her," that's just the kind of pussyfooting a man's man won't abide. He's most convincing when directing his empathy at musicians--cf. "Sultans of Swing," in which glam types reject trad tsk-tsk, and "The Walk of Life," in which our hero dances as best he can. Skillfully accompanied on guitar, his supposedly unfashionable ressentiment has made him a rich man. How could such a thing happen? B-

Mark Knopfler was basically a guy who during the 80s managed to be a "voice" to surly baby boomers reaching middle age and disliking all this damn "new" music on MTV and shit.

A "Mangum Opus," if you will

IDK about being a magnum opus but I'm liking this right now.

Look into your heart, you know its true

lol

I looked into my heart and it said that Kanye West is garbage

Yes
Yes
No
Big no
>not GodWeenSatan
The Mollusk is a high tier Ween LP but I think that it lacks the songwriting finesse that their earlier albums had. What are your favorite songs from The Mollusk?

how the hell did you end up on MTV? By spelling its name right?

lel

dumb frogposter

how much do you want to bet this is unironic?

HB is better

the narcissist II would also work for this

the first album and love over gold are better. probably communique too

You just remembered Pink Floyd never topped this

Helplessness Blues is clearly the more ambitious, actualized album, and the only one that could potentially be called a magnum opus.

deloused is good stuff my dudes

Nope.

Nope.

>songwriting finesse
>GodWeenSatan

O I am laffin. I love that album there's nothing finessed about it, part of what makes it so entertaining. Quebec is the only other valid pick

Title track is god tier, as is She Wanted to Leave

Damn never see this posted here. So many fantastic tracks, it's a fuckin shame about One World

(not true, by the way)

Mellon Collie didn't beat this quality-wise at all

Correct

correct

:^)

King Crimson should have ended their discography here and just continued going around as Discipline in the 80's instead of making the KC name live on.

>what is Animals
>what is Dark Side of the Moon

will she ever top this

Wow, did he miss the point of money for nothing? Just goes to show you that music critics are thick as pig shit most of the time.

Metal Box is fantastic but this edges it out just a bit more.

>implying Discipline and Beat aren't good albums

I'm not saying they aren't, but the 80's line-up of King Crimson was originally called "Discipline"
What I'm saying if they ended their legacy on Red, that would be fucking legendary.
That being said, 80's KC was incredible live.

Very nice

How is Three of a Perfect Pair? I loved Discipline and was wondering about the other two 80s albums.

Discipline>Three of a Perfect Pair>Beat

I love this and I need something that sounds like it, what other Wilco albums are like this one?

it's more a thing about style rather than quality

absolutely not. this is my least fav richard.

Communique is clearly a better album

Listen to some Jim O'Rourke

Probably is although LCW is way more intriguing

Not great, in my view, apart from LtiA3.

In terms of post-Red output (purely my opinion): Discipline > THRAK > Power to Believe > Beat > Three of a Perfect Pair > The ConstruKction of Light

>not Making Movies
i'm sure you're trolling but jeez

Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill is better
softer smoother more cloudy

beat me to it

it's a good standalone psych rock album but let's be real it doesn't compare to meddle, animals, or DSOTM

It's not Wish You Were Here or The Wall, the [spoiler]my opinionatedly[/spoiler] best pank flyoid albums

kek

You meant

see

I just remembered I hate this album. #thanks

Go listen to Venetian Snares or whatever the fuck you lot circlejerk to then. Dire Straits is obviously too based for you.

looks like it.

>song about how easy rock n roll is
>written by a guy who fired someone from his band for not practising enough

this wasn't bad but idk if I'd call it a magnum opus.

maybe not her most popular but I felt this was grander and more ambitious than under the pink. feels more magnum opus-y to me.

I love all of the 80s for King Crimson. Probably gets the most circulation for me. ToaPP is no exception. Dig Me, Model Man, Nuages, and Aspic Pt.3 are all some of my favorite Crim tracks (with some awesome live versions too). I think Discipline is probably the best one with ToaPP and Beat falling in second and third respectively.

Though, if you can get your hands on a decent copy of any of their 80s live albums, give them all a listen. Really awesome stuff with some of the craziest work you'll ever hear out of those four.

I stilll revisit this album all the time and goddamn, the songwriting, the instrumentals, the flow of the album all perfection.

Walk of Life is one of my guilty pleasures