I finally realize what it is I hate about reddit

I finally realize what it is I hate about reddit.

It's people patting themselves on the back for having a basic knowledge of science and popular culture.

ITT: Pricks who make themselves feel good by putting down random, anonymous people.

OP, you must be a real loser.

I don't feel good I feel awful. Finding good content and a good community on the internet is difficult, if not impossible, and the implications of that being that humans are innately boring and unfunny depresses me.

Na, I get it.

I'm doing my honours in Pharmacology and have a second major in immunology. I've given up telling cunts they're wrong because they just get pissy if it goes against their echo chamber of ideals.

Can you explain the original of the whole anti-science, anti-immunization autism thing? There's no science or logic to it, so where did it come from?

Epic bread!!

writing a response from memory.

Bump

One appallingly unscientific study that was latched onto by people who know how to use fear.

I more looked at inflammation but from my understanding there are a few origins.

> Up to the 1990s
There'd been some background resentment of vaccines in the past. A classic example was in the early 1970's in Japan, where the live attenuated Whooping cough vaccine (which is admittedly nasty in the days afterwards) lead to 2 highly publicised infant deaths in a single year. Japanese people quickly cancelled the vaccination of their children because their kid could be that 1 in whatever-million death.

The next year, a whooping cough epidemic killed 49 children. The Japanese government fast-tracked the release of an "acellular" vaccine that is now commonly used with good results - but is now believed to contribute to bordatella pertussis mutation and escape from immunity.

>1990s onwards
In 1998, Dr. Andrew Wakefield was approached by a lawyer-friend who was representing a group of parents. They claimed that use of the MMR vaccine had given their children a subsequent diagnosis of autism - and now they wanted compensation. Whilst claims like this had been made before, there was absolutely no science that agreed with them. People tend to ignore stuff that contradicts their position, especially as something as personal as children.

So, Dr. Wakefield performed an experiment that concluded that holy shit, these children likely got their autism from an environmental trigger - and though he didn't outright say there was a link, he heavily implied that the MMR vaccine was the likely culprit. Problems:
> His sample of autistic children was almost exclusively the children from the legal proceedings his lawyer was undertaking
> He purposefully misrepresented the data and skewed it to fit into the narrative. This included using inappropriate statistical tests and
> He presented his findings to the press before the paper was cleared and published. This is a MASSIVE faux par in science, because you sensationalise your findings.

1/2

Helpful bump so you can keep writing.

> In this press conference, without giving the science community any forewarning or ability to peer review, he called for the MMR vaccine to be immediately withdrawn from use as a "moral decision." He spoke using emotive language instead of objective - yet when his paper was published what he'd said was barely represented. In fact, his findings found the exact opposite - no link whatsoever.
> He didn't disclose that he was being paid by his lawyer friend and the solicitor organisation to conduct the study. This conflict of interest was not declared in the initial release, and is usually career ending in the research industry.
> Didn't undertake appropriate methodologies and controls that would remove bias and increase the reliability and validity of the results.

So, to put it simply the study was incredibly flawed, and he knew it. He misrepresented the results, which showed no link, to instead imply that MMR vaccine could be causing autism. He did this not only in the professional community, but in the media - appearing on TV, Radio etc.

Ever heard the phrase "as a mother" ? Well at the time autism diagnosis rates were increasing, and parents were desperate to point a finger. This gave the worried and angry parents a punching bag and played into all those evil Big Pharma stereotypes (don't get me wrong, Pharmaceutical companies are cunts). Parents began to 'reclaim control' of their child's health and began believing that Andrew Wakefield was a martyr - even after he was publicly shamed, had ALL accreditation and memberships stripped from him, and had his work retracted and then contradicted by some superb studies involving 150,000-300,000 people. Much the same reason why conspiracy theorists exist tbh.

That's why it's still here.

bump

reddit is sheltered upper middle class white people congratulating themselves over how outraged they are that other people dont have it as good as they have it.

also, full of SJWs.

So many trips.

>pricks
>putting down random people
>real loser
>putting down random people

interesting tbqh

It's a fucking tragedy. In Australia we're seeing a resurgence in once domestically eradicated diseases.

It only takes a few selfish mongs to undermine herd immunity.

Chyeah, ok brah.

M-muh website wars

That's not an epic thread what the fuck is wrong with you?

I get that more than I should, mainly from arts students.

The link doesn't exist, and we now have millions of subjects across multiple studies to back that up. Both government and private institutions have tried, but to no avail.

Unfortunately retards never change. Check out pic related; it was drawn at the time when Edward Jenner's cowpox vaccine was being used to finally fight smallpox. Idiots legitimately thought they'd turn into cows from the treatment.