Revolutionized Rock music

>Revolutionized Rock music
>Ahead of their time
>Making music that no other artist would dare to make
>Was able to get out of their comfort zone and experiment
These are all things that The Beatles DIDN'T do. That true geniuses like Captain Beefheart, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, etc have done.
But some of those artist Will only be seen as pedestal for other genres and artist. While The Beatles will keep being seen as important "geniuses" and keep being #1 on every greatest bands of all time list.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SmW17QvUhRM
youtu.be/KZazEM8cgt0
forum.queensongs.info/forum.php?topicid=210&idshift=0&st=1&mt=4&shift=0
youtube.com/watch?v=fTTsY-oz6Go
youtube.com/watch?v=fOGMRnKl5co
youtube.com/watch?v=7PVoVRUrxVY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nice

u mad bro?

They were pretty good songwriters though

The fact that

But they wrote good pop tunes and that's all really matters.

god theyre so handsome

cheerleader effect

>this is better than anything the beatles ever did
lol
youtube.com/watch?v=SmW17QvUhRM

>>>>Ringo
>>>>>>>>>>>>>Handsome

implying you wouldnt

>Ahead of their time

How? They started as a cute boy band, which is hardly rock music. They revolutionized a way of making as much money as possible from music.
Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, The Residents, The Velvet Underground, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Soft Machine, Can, Neu! - just to name a few.
youtu.be/KZazEM8cgt0

>reading comprehension

these trips have been wasted on your inability to read a whole fucking post

>>Revolutionized Rock music
>>Ahead of their time
>>Making music that no other artist would dare to make
>>Was able to get out of their comfort zone and experiment
>These are all things that The Beatles DIDN'T do.
How old are you? Late teens/early 20s, I would guess, and you still haven't listened to Tomorrow Never Knows?

They invented heavy metal.

>Ahead of his time
>Was able to get out of his comfort zone and experiment

Sigh... I see now. I'm just so used to ridiculous bait threads that I'm almost sure what the threads contain, without reading. I was wrong this time and I'm glad.

I want to hurt him
I want to break his faggy guitar over his faggy head and watch him lie there
I know Will is behind this post anyways so watch your fucking back

>Ahead of his time

These post are Post reverse-b8.

All hail master Brötzmann!

>Ahead of his time

>Ahead of his time
>CUTE

Ah, congrats. You've just turned 20, discovered poseur core and are in your "do u even Beefheart" phase.

Next you'll discover Pere Ubu. Heady days.

>Ahead of his time

>Revolutionized Avant-Hop music
>Ahead of his time

>Poseur core
Thanks for throwing in the nose for me and confirming that you're baiting.

Oh, and by the way, would you indulge us, the wise one, with your exquisite taste in music?

>These are all things that The Beatles DIDN'T do.
But they did Revolutionized Rock Music and Was able to get out of their comfort zone and experiment.

The other two, no.

>Ahead of their time

>Tomorrow Never Knows is not ahead of its time

Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Egor Letov, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead, Morton Feldman, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Nang Nang, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Nara Leão, Basic Channel, Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Noah Howard, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho, Boyd Rice, Mahmoud Ahmed, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Aporea, Half Japanese, Mega Banton, Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Robbie Basho, Phil Spector, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krüsi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Yat-Kha, Loren Mazzacane Connors, Pärson Sound, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, Arthur Doyle, Shizuka, The Red Krayola, Henry Cow, Magma, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Ksiezyc, Gong, Cukor Bila Smert', cLOUDDEAD, Muslimgauze and Kaoru Abe

Great copypasta.

They're almost the same though.

Yeah I suppose that one is.

>Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, The Residents, The Velvet Underground, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Soft Machine, Can, Neu!
Most of these artists wouldn't dare make pop music.

Checkmate.

I thought the exact opposite, all of them are fucking ugly except for maybe that dude on the far right but his eyebrows & mouth are fucked.

>Ahead of their time
even tho these all mean the same thing...

You could make the argument for Norwegian Wood, Helter Skelter, Strawberry Fields Forever, and a few others. As well as pioneering moments like one of the very first concept albums, first use of intentional feedback in a song (I Feel Fine), the first music video (Paperback Writer promo). I would say they were most definitely ahead of their time.

>Ahead of his time

seems like we have a similar taste

>You could make the argument for Norwegian Wood, Helter Skelter, Strawberry Fields Forever, and a few others
What did they do?
>As well as pioneering moments like one of the very first concept albums
Frank Sinatra and Woody Guthrie beat them to it.
>first use of intentional feedback in a song (I Feel Fine)
That was "Rumble" by Link Wray

>Ahead of her time
>Was able to get out of her comfort zone and experiment
>Big tits fat ass

TVU literally made Pop Rock.

t. Pablo Scruffy

You're a moron. I'm sorry.

Scaruffi drones are cancer

Anything of of TMR is most revolutionary than Tommorow Never Knows.

thank mr skeltal

>Velvet Underground

>"They were a driving force in the Velvets, and made us work harder and got us on our bikes. Rubber Soul was where you were forced to deal with them as something other than a flash in the pan. It was rich in ideas and I loved the way George managed to find a way to include all those Indian instruments. Lou and I had tried to work with the sarinda. We were only playing it just to get a noise but I realized you could play melody on the sitar as good as Norwegian Wood. Norwegian Wood had this atmosphere of being very acid. I don’t think anybody has ever got that sound or that feeling as well as the Beatles."

- john cale

>Pink Floyd

>“When they made Sgt. Pepper in 67, we were in the same studio making our first record, and I remember when it came out and listening to the whole thing and just sitting there with my mouth hanging open going “Wow this is so complete and accomplished" and whatever but it was also more than that. It had a ton of ideas and a ton narrative in it, and I feel more than any other record it was the record that gave me, and my generation permission to branch out and do whatever we wanted. If they can do it, we can do it. It changed everything.”

- roger waters

no one cares about captain beefheart so i wont bother to see if he said anything about the beatles.

the beatles are the most important/influential pop/rock act of the 21st century, behind only perhaps bob dylan. sorry contrarians. no im not a beatle fag there have been much better songwriters but to deny their influence is stupid.

20th century* my bad

Following The Beatles lead

You mean just white guy blues with lolrandumb lyrics?

>no one cares about captain beefheart so i wont bother to see if he said anything about the beatles.
He didn't like them

For good reasons.

Wings were better than all of the bands you named.

Like what?

Remember he was a paranoid schizophrenic

starting to agree with this

Spiderman thread?

>keep being #1 on every greatest bands of all time list.
gotta wait for the baby boomers and gen x to die off before they drop in stature

Show me a rock song that sounded like Tomorrow Never Knows before 1966.

10 songs i can name

Go ahead. Has to be rock.

Something interesting to note is that when Beefheart, Zappa, and TVU tried to make more poppy stuff in the similar vein of The Beatles, they were HORRIBLE at it. Anyone can make an experimental work without much attempts at keeping structure like Beefheart, Zappa, TVU, Can, etc. Shit there are so many shitposters here that have their own "experimental musique concrete" project for example as well. But to put that into a poppy format? THAT takes skill. Skill that Beatles had above all these posers.

You're right OP
They DIDN'T revolutionize rock music.
They merely put a British spin or twist on already existing American rock and R&B

They WEREN'T ahead of their time.
They WERE however in the right place in the right time when a universal paradigm shift was taking place. Unless you were born in England during World War Two you can't have an understand on how or why The Beatles were important or what they meant both as people and as a band.

They DIDN'T make music that no other artist would dare to make.
There were already so many "Outsiders" in the business that when you compare the modern Jazz in so called "Avant Garde" music scene The Beatles were actually not only pretty tame but old hat. Grant you The Beatles were the first ROCK band to experiment with tape loops speeded up and backward recordings but other people did it before them.

And the NEVER left their comfort zone. Once they were rich and famous their comfort zone basically expanded to the point where they could do something like Revolution #9 and get away with it.

That being said.........
Safe as Milk was just a white boy blues album w/a white guy who could sing like a Chicago South Side black bluesman. The Velvet Underground simultaneously were the antithesis AND rip off of The Fugs and Pink Floyd basically were Jazz fans who basically borrowed from every rock band at the time and created their own sound. Shit parts of PATGOD sound like DONAVAN!

But that doesn't stop me from enjoying The Beatles' music.

Play Apples and Oranges back to back with Sgt Pepper. (The song not the entire album)

kill yourself

>they were HORRIBLE at it
>>>TVU as example
S/T and Loaded are amazing.

Decent, passable, not amazing. And lets not forget Squeeze one of the worst albums ever.

In terms of rating how tough it is to make music

Generic cliche pop stuff

>. And lets not forget Squeeze one of the worst albums ever.
But that was just doug yule. I'm talking about the ones with actual original members.
But just the existence of S/T and Loaded Proves TVU are able to make legitimately good Pop Rock tunes anybody can enjoy.

>Pink Floyd

What the fuck did they do that was so experimental and no one would use would do?

1. Yule or not, TVU is TVU.

2. The other two barely pass for being ambitious pop as they are far more straightforward than just about everything Beatles did post-Rubber Soul.

When Piper came out it was the first of its kind doing the rock w/ heavy electronic effects beyond just cutting tape. Big influence on space rock, prog, krautrock, Radiohead on OKC, etc.

They had a bike:^)

>And the NEVER left their comfort zone. Once they were rich and famous their comfort zone basically expanded to the point where they could do something like Revolution #9 and get away with it.
If that was true, they'd just remake A Hard Days Night over and over again.

I know it's in Sup Forums culture to be contrarian because if you want popular opinions, most other websites cover it.

But the notion that here that the Beatles were anything less than the most influential musical group is just false.

All you have to do is read actual accounts by actual big name musicians. A staggering amount of people (some made it some didn't) either got into music properly, formed a band, or picked up an instrument after watching their '64 performance on the Ed Sullivan Show.

People like to think oh they were the best selling they couldn't have been artistically the best because that's never happened. Well it happened once with the Beatles.

If you could identify one single reason why they broke up, what would it be?

STOP!!!!!

AND TAKE THE TIME TO BUY THIS ALBUM!!!!

Running Apple Records.

They were musicians, not businessmen. Not only did they not know what they hell they were doing, but they'd have to still walk into the studio and make music with people they'd been yelling at in a business meeting for 5 hours.

You can say specific things like John's heroin problem/estrangement in general (Yoko helped here), Paul's ever expanding ego and role in management due to Brian Epstein's death, George frustrated that his masterworks were shunned in favor of Paul's granny shit.

But essentially at the start they were 4 lads. Then they got older, had money, got married, had kids, and when this all happens instead of spending all your time with the lads you spend it with your family.

I'm sure we can all relate to instances in our lives where we had a close group of friends that became splintered as we got older and "life happened".

didn't George fuck Ringos wife?

they all did

They all fucked eachother's wives. It was combination "free-love of the time" and "fuck this guy". Naturally this sort of thing is fine in theory until it happens and your blood is boiling.

I believe Queen is a way more revolutionary than Beatles, musically, for example.

Not the greatest, perhaps, but i honestly believe they did way more than they did.

Honestly, i find hard to listen to some of their songs aswell. And i'm very into 60's music. (The Beatles, on this case)

Yeah yeah typical "Beatles didn't do it Beefheart and Zappa did it they just didn't have make it appeal to everyone because theyre less selfish for some reason"

Even if you were right, band's like Queen literally formed because of the Beatles. They also did they best work years after the Beatles had broken up. Context matters.

forum.queensongs.info/forum.php?topicid=210&idshift=0&st=1&mt=4&shift=0

You can find stuff like this for every band of that time.

This is b8.

Whenever somebody brings up something revolutionary the Beatles did, some user is always quick to say "(Obscure Band) did it first". But does musical revolution matter if nobody hears it? I could revolutionize music in my basement, but it doesn't matter jack if nobody knows I did it. Maybe Captain Beefheart or Frank Zappa cut the Beatles off at the pass, but did anybody know they did before the Beatles, or did the more popular band bring attention to said revolutionary technique?

ill admit that thew isn't much that really sounds like it and it's pretty good but
like every thread fuck why....

Quality is also an issue. The Beatle's music was just really, really good. They touched on 10 different genres and each time was a delight.

Consider their career trajectory post-'64

Rubber Soul, into Revolver, into Sgt. Pepper, into the White Album, into Abbey Road.

That's fucking staggering. All of these works are not only totally distinct, really good. I think people react against the Beatles because they're popular and everyone likes them, but there's a REASON why. What other band can even approach such a run of albums? And if they do, how did people react?

Closest I can think of is Floyd from Dark Side through the Wall, or Radiohead from The Bends through In Rainbows. But none of those works were even as close to being as influential creatively or commercially.

Radiohead dicogrphay is better

>that dude

Listening to both in 2017, I agree. But you have to consider when these things came about.

The Beatles were more groundbreaking and "better than the rest" in the 60s than Radiohead was around the millennium

Consider also that bands like Radiohead and that entire second wave of British bands grew up listening to and idolizing the Beatles.

But yeah if I never heard any music before now and I put in Revolver, the put in OKC, OKC would sound better. But that's not really a fair evaluation.

youtube.com/watch?v=fTTsY-oz6Go
youtube.com/watch?v=fOGMRnKl5co
youtube.com/watch?v=7PVoVRUrxVY

>1964
Yet never mentioned in the development of rock music. Who else was playing guitar like that at the time?

The Kinks were hugely influential but your post makes its own point. They had a few songs and they didn't accomplish very much after those. It was typical of bands of the time to operate like that, it was not typical of a band to put out hit after hit after hit and top-to-bottom great album after album after album.

Consider where the Beatles went after '64, then consider where the Kinks went. No one is contesting the fact that the 60's a) had a lot of good rock acts or b) had a lot of influential rock acts.

Only artist from the 60s who matched their output creatively was Dylan. Even the Beach Boys fell off.

i used to also think that also but i found out i was an idiot when their genius hit me

>They had a few songs and they didn't accomplish very much after those
>ARTHUR
>THE KINKS ARE THE VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY
>FACE TO FACE

faggot who has never actually listened to the kinks and is speaking out of his asshole

Cuck band

Not him, I think his point is consistency. The Kinks didn't sell well especially in the US.

Countless great records and songs too but they're all spread throughout their career.

Uh, John Lennon? Mind you, unlike Davies Lennon was actually experimenting with atonality and phrasing and 1964 found him introducing the deliberate use of feedback to rock music on I Feel Fine. The Velvet Underground, the Kinks' future records, and all of metal and punk owe their careers to John Lennon