Alright climbing fags. I need some advice

alright climbing fags. I need some advice.

I've never really climbed before but I've absailed a few of them shit walls at climbing centres and stuff.

Anyway. I need to get a geocache that under a bridge over a river (it's a little pot that magnetic and stuck under) there seems to be two schools of thought on this one. Canoe and build a human pyramid, or rapelling off the bridge and pulling yourself under.

I'm opting for the rapel method.

So I'm using a setup like the one featured and I was testing it in my garden on a tree just to make sure it holds before I go dangling off a bridge and I found the rope easily slid through and I had to pull down hard to get enough friction to hold me. I was just using a shitty camping rope that about 10mm thick.

Question is this. Apart from the glaring obvious reason of safety. What else is different about climbing rope to bog standard camping rope. is it more abrassive to help get a better hold?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Try theres an ongoing thread about climbing as we speak

Also plz poop in geocache and post pic

Climbing rope has a certain amount of stretch to it. As for having to hold the rope, that's normal.

Rolling for this

Roll

Check em

it's a microcache but I will return and post pics

I mean I had to pull down really hard. Like 2 handed hard. I'd struggle to hold myself and maneuver around

Dubs get

You do realise OP that you are on Sup Forums. To sum it up, you are asking people who dont go outside about climbing.

Jesus fucking christ, op you gonna get wet.
Get a proper rope for this shit. Cheap nylon is slippy as hell and wont bind.
Also consider that you will have to swing under the bridge, so consider a second rope on the othe side to pull yourself under, as i doubt that you will be capable of locking yourself off and using an ascender to pull yourself under.

You're gonna want some actual climbing rope. REI has some decent rope for somewhat cheap.

Are you fit? If fatass then yeah normal. Proper rope will help

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik
The reverso is used to slow down, the prusik to stop without holding the rope.
Once you got the geocache, do you plan to keep going down to the water, or to go back up ?

Second rope was part of the plan, I was thinking I could just tie off the rope so it wouldn't go through the belay and I'd just hang
Thanks
I'm 116 lbs and pretty athletic, I do a lot of hiking but my upper body strength it's great

Also if you've never climbed before, don't try this, you will die. Even if you make it to the cache, you'll have to climb back up with little/no energy left.

I think people over estimate the size of the bridge, pic attached of bridge

Lol wut, fuck rope just climb that shit

also this guy who knows what he's doing

Ok get away from the atc first. That's a belay device, not really intended for that purpose. What you want is something like a Petzl stop or rig or ID. All of those devices are designed to allow controlled descent and provide a safe hands free stop. Next move to a real dynamic climbing rope, that's way safer and nylon or non climbing ropes won't work well with any climbing devices. user's suggestion of a second rope is valid. Also note that on a rappel it's a one way trip, so if you plan on doing back up you'll need a progress capture and hand hold with foot loop or tree.

Hell just get a stick and knock the thing loose

Then it's in the river

Thanks user. That's helpful advice. Any recommended brands? I don't wanna spend massive $$ but I don't wanna end up buying some knock off shit from china

Are you the wicked witch of the west? Just get it out of the river

I used to go river jumping there as a kid. It's fairly fast flowing and pretty deep. Plan is to rapel

>Op confirmed fag