Hey Sup Forums I fucking love movies, but havent really delved into them as an artform or seen kino...

Hey Sup Forums I fucking love movies, but havent really delved into them as an artform or seen kino. Can anyone reccomend some starter movies or post their top 5 so I can delve into this?

My top 5:

>Whiplash
>Inception
>Interstellar
>Akira
>Looper

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n0pP66O9VN0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Vatican top 100 isn't bad
TSPDT top 1000 is better
Sight and sound 2012 list of all time greats is well regarded around here.All three lists overlap heavily so maybe choose based around consensus untill you get a sense of the types of films and cinematic movements you like, then watch filmographies by filmmakers who make things youlike or adhere to an aesthetic you find pleasing.

Watched all of Nolans stuff, but since their blockbusters im gonna assume its pleb tier shit over here.

Are the standard top 100 films revered around here? I see Apocalypse Now, Vertigo, Casablanca and all the other standard greatest stuff is on the list that I’ve already seen and didn’t really enthrall me as their acclaim assumes.

Faggot

Casablanca isn't very good really it's just famous.

The great films by the well reknowned auteur directors are what you want to find if you are interested in art cinema. Jenoir, Satyajit Ray, John Ford, Fritz Lang, Jean Vigo, Sergei Eisenstein, ... the "meme" directors that contrarians on Sup Forums claim are shit but are actually hugely influential and all great storytellers in their own ways.

CINÉMA:
1: 夢 (1990, Kurosawa)
2: This Night (1965, Fassbinder)
3: La morte d'Isotta (1968, Schröter)
4: Reassemblage (1982, Minh Hà)
5: Кpaдeцът нa пpacкoви (1964, Radev)
6: โรงแรมนรก (1957, Pestonji)
7: قمران وزيتونة (2001, Abdelhamid)
8: ¾إشآ (1984, Zhuangzhuang)
9: Ocْنeيè ؤyّè (1975, Radev)
10: Three Kings (1999, Russell)

FILMS:
1. دècüىa ى¸pٍâoمo ÷eëoâeêa (1986, Lopushansky)
2. Un condamné à mort s'est échappé (1956, Bresson)
3. Guns of The Trees (1961, Mekas)
4. Love Streams (1984, Cassavetes)
5. êôژX½ضةظؤêڑ¢بثتآ¼ (1991, Yang)
6. Duelle (1976, Rivette)
7. Alice in den Stنdten (1974, Wenders)
8. Le Rayon Vert (1986, Rohmer)
9. Սայաթ-Նովա (1968, Parajanov)
10. Mauvais Sang (1986, Carax)

MOVIES:
1. Barry Lyndon(1975, Kubrick)
2. “Vچ‘‚ئ’nچ– (1963, Kurosawa)
3. Blue (1993, Jarman)
4. Fanny och Alexander (1982, Bergman)
5. The Long Day Closes (1992, Davies)
6. “Vچ‘‚ئ’nچ– (1963, Kurosawa)
7. Le Révélateur (2002, Philippe Garrel)
8. Providence (1977, Resnais)
9. لت§بµاأأة (2006, Weerasethakul)
10. Punishment Park (1971, Watkins)

OVERALL:
Sommaren med Monika (1953, Bergman)
êôژX½ضةظؤêڑ¢بثتآ¼ (1991, —î)
চারুলতা (1964, রায়)
Ordet (1955, Dreyer)
Les Moissons du Ciell (1978, Malick)
Oêٍےلpü «ؤecےٍü نيeé, êoٍopûe ïoٍpےcëè ىèp (1927, فéçeيٍّeéي)
؛ى¸كء» (1987, صإزصؤ±)
Fear and Desire (1953, Kubrick)
اepêaëo (1975, Tapêَâcêèé)
01010101 01101110 00100000 0100001101101000 01101001 01100101 0110111000100000 01000001 01101110 0110010001100001 01101100 01101111 01110101(1928, Luis Buٌñuel)
ہثبA±¯¸è (1936, œد؟ع)
Le Révélateur (2002, Philippe Garrel)

Thanks!

but whats the difference between cinema, film, and movies?

>shitting up the thread with stale pasta and dead memes

wait is this troll? FUCK MAN I JUST NEED MOVIES

There's no difference, it's a meme.

It's a troll but it does take the piss out of morons who think good discussion on films is posting lists of foreign films.

what is this place?

See pic and ignore this troll here

every time

here you go f.am

WAIT BUT WHOSE THE TROLL THEN????

THESE ARE ALL FORGIEN FILMS IS THE FUCKED UP TEXT INTENTIONAL?

this is actually a decent starter pack tbqh op

Yes.

Second. I'm surprised Sup Forums came up with it.

wait, is Drive really fucking 17? REALLY? That was the worst god damn movie I have ever seen in my life. Are the people here just like all the other art snobs who pretend dumb shit is artsy? This shit is the fucking George Crumb/Iannis Xenakis of movies, just of mish mash of shit presented on a stage. Are these all gonna be just face pans and bright pink colors set to synths?? Fucking hell, i dont belong here.,

>not understanding and liking drive

yea we're done here

stick to your poorly written ripoffs

Holy shit. This is great as this board likes to troll.

There are a lot of meme movies there, once you look past them it is actually a good list

Absolute patrician's top 10 list incoming

1. Rachat du penitencier (1994)
2. Le Parrain (1972)
3. Le Parrain II (1974)
4. Chevalier noir (2008)
5. La Liste de Juifs (1993)
6. Douze hommes en colere (1957)
7. Pulpe Recit (1994)
8. Le Seigneur des Anneaux: Le Retour du Roi (2003)
9. Le Bon, la Brute et le Truand (1966)
10. Club du Combat (1999)

I dare you to explain the appeal of that movie. What the fuck, I have never hated a movie as much as that, this shit was fucking Dadism in cinema. Hyperviolence, Neon Noir fucking long shots of Ryan Goslings face != good film.

>>Inception
>>Interstellar
>>Looper
lmao

>I see Apocalypse Now, Vertigo, Casablanca and all the other standard greatest stuff is on the list that I’ve already seen and didn’t really enthrall me as their acclaim assumes.

then you've gone as far as you're ever gonna go. stick with your millennial boy shit. watch gladiator and the matrix 50 more times.

See these are all foreign too, am i being trolled or do you actually love this? fucking hell i thought i'd get some concise recommendations and ui cant tell the trolls from the trolls

That's why im asking for movies mate, I know im stuck in sci fi blockbusters. maybe stop meming and actually talk about some films you enjoyed like you come here to do instead of waiting for some contrarian fuck to post you favorite film so you can reply "this"

Exactly, you have no fucking words to back yourself up. So you go to your little Drive gif stash and just "win" by not arguing. See you at the Moma, we like real art.

can't handle the bantz

This is actually a surprisingly good place to start, OP.

I've seen most of them, i guess i'm really looking for the more obscure or foriegn stuff then. I fucking loved Old Boy and The Man From Nowhere, but never really took foriegn further other than memes like the Raid or Crow Zero

I am 100% serious in asking you what about that movie was good, you can pretend to be above everyone who dislikes it and jerk yourself off more, but honestly, do you really enjoy movies just to act like people who dissagre with you are plebs without even attempting to discuss WHY it's a good film?

>seen most of them
>never took foreign further
there's a lot of foreign films on that list fellow plebbitor

...which is why i said i saw most of them, the only foriegn films on there i havent seen are Fallen Angels, Le Samourai, L'avventura and Aguirre the Wrath of God.

So literally no one here wants to actually discuss film... Kek, even fucking Sup Forums will discuss anime and Sup Forums will discuss vapor wave. Enjoy the contrarian threads faggots.

youtube.com/watch?v=n0pP66O9VN0

>half of the replies decry it as trolling and the other half say it's legit

Fucksake I hate when this happens

Can someone without their head up their ass just come straight and tell me if this list is good or not?

Mate if you made a recc thread on Sup Forums it would get shitposted even harder than this one.

>Casablanca isn't very good really it's just famous.

>neo-Sup Forums

it's good for about 80% but the memeflicks (drive, dark knight) in the list seems like decent trolling

I thank Nolan everyday for making pleb bait to catch kiddies like you.
>fag

They'd atleast have tons or Sup Forums reccs image in there. This was nothing but bullshit posts and ONE legitimate recc

>4. Chevalier noir (2008)
Immediately knew that this is

maybe you could look adn see im trying to distance myself from those films and actualy post a film you enjoyed, or are you so much of a fucking virgin loser you dont even enjoy films now?

Well, you should watch 2001, since Interstellar is a poor successor to it. Also Ghost in the Shell if you like Akira, maybe some Fincher, Villeneuve if you like Whiplash?

Brick is by far his best film if you like Looper, too

holy fucking shit thank you for actually responding.

I've seen ghost in the shell and loved it as well as most of fincher but Villeneuve i've never seen nor brick, i'll watch one of these since i wanted to watch something 4 hours ago. Thank you.

Actually, if good characters+tension is your thing, try Cidade de Deus, Harakiri, La Haine

No worries, try Sup Forums is a meme board, not for actual discussion.

for Villeneuve, Enemy, Sicario and Prisoners are all good. Haven't seen Incendies yet, but hear good things.

that's not top 10, but they're still good movies

If you liked GitS go watch Oshiis other work. His Patlabor movies are somewhat simmilar.

Thanks mates, true saints.

>I fucking love movies
leave now

you might as well watch this and then maybe you can fix your nolan rankings

your sci-fi itself though is probably irrecoverable catastrophe tier, from that angle i dont even know where to start. probably some combo of blade runner (final cut), 2001, solaris (tark obv), stalker and world on a wire to get you moving. if you cant at least go 3/5 there then seriously consider killing yourself

Not that user and, man, you're easily baited.
So I'll answer that for you, b4 you go full sperg.

It's well directed. Right photography, right pacing, right OST. The cast does his job well, the atmosphere is right, it's immersive. the script is simple but without flaws.

Thematically is poorer than other Refn's movie, but you still have the justapoxition of love and death (a theme loved by refn) and what it takes for one to be A REAL HUMAN BEAN AND A REAL HERO.
Basically it stands on the same legs that made Leone's Dollar's Trilogy good

It's a pleasant film.

Seen it, loved it, not top 5 though. I wasnt asking for similar films i was asking for films you yourself love. Judging by your suggestion i kill myself, you're the absolute master of all cinema.

holy shit you're the same guy from the overrated films thread

fuck off, drive is god-tier

Thanks for this. Im not gonna even argue because you actually laid out why you like it and i have the utmost respect for that. Maybe i need a rewatch with this in mind. I see a board for movies and tv and actually expected someone to give me a good list of films like Sup Forums did way back when, i'm retarded. but thank you for being an exception.

Pacing issues desu, but I'd still put it second after Memento, which at least tried to be original

>La Liste de Juifs (1993)

fucking hell i laughed

Yes i am, and telling me to fuck off just proves the point i made there and here, you're so far up your own ass you cant even list one reason as to why it's god tier, please fucking kill yourself and spare the world from your elitist contrarian shilling.

Not him, but Drive isn't even Refns best

List your top 5 so i can criticise your garbage taste please

First 10 movies from imdb top 250

It starts pretty strong (from the beginning to the opening credits chase scene is 10/10) but loses focus pretty quickly after that. The end is anti-climactic and the bad guys are completely forgettable.

Nicely shot though.

I did in the op post, way to prove you dont even fucking read but search for you little noir film and white knight it like the fucking loser you are.

they are good
they are just french titles of blockbuster/famous films

HAHAHAHA HOLY FUCK

ARE YOU EVEN A REAL PERSON

A year ago this would've been a great thread. OP, check out Sight and Sound 2012, TSPDT and the Sup Forums top 100 posted above (ignore the meme entries. There are also some pretty good lists on Letterboxd if you look around for them.

honestly it just sounds like you dislike a very popular film, I'm not sure why you're this vocal about it though. I for one despise Muholland Drive but everyone circlejerks it and David Lynch like they're the best films ever.

Going on the internet and complaining about it is just a lot of mental masturbation for me, however, and I have things to do.

THIS PERSON WANTS TO TALK ABOUT MOVIES ON Sup Forums IS HE EVEN REAL?

I dont believe its very popular, it's just popular for film buffs. Yeah I probably just got triggered because dislike it, but the fucking lack of allowed opinion here really set me off. IDK why but i legit expected atleast SOMEONE to just post some films they like and want other people to see, but i forgot where i was.

Well to be fair, you did throw a shitfit when you saw it was number 17 in the list.

>liking Drive
>contrarian

:/

Just fucking start by watching the entry level stuff. That doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's something easy to find and watch. You know, stuff like Kubrick, Bergmann, Jodorowsky, Tarkovsky and Lynch. Then just go from there.

More so because i came to the board for movies excpecting discussion of movies rather than fucking reddit level circle jerk about the movies predetermined to be good or shit. I legit didnt know what i was thinking.

Litrally what i was asking for, thank you so fucking much for listing names instead of cricle jerking Drive.

Club du Combat always makes me shit myself laughing.

Your welcome.

You're* sorry, my bad.

What're your personal fav films?

A lot of people genuinely and unironically enjoy Drive. You can't really criticise a "lack of allowed opinion" by getting immediately hostile at the sight of it.

I stated my opinion that it was shit, and i did so very hostile, yes. but was the only one to not circle jerk it down my fucking throat, If someones wants to dissagree with me fine, but if they cant even list one reason why, then what the fuck are you even talking about movies for then?

>mulhulland dr

kek

>call a film a "mish mash of shit presented on a stage"
>expect reasonable, thought out responses

Mate I'm not sure that's how it works

Because if someone asks for good classical music or Retro games or whatever the fuck im into i'll give them some legit names to look into, not fucking call them a plebian for not liking what i like. And if they lay out some reasons for not liking Alkan or whatever, i'll lay some reasons back in contrast.

I didnt expect this place to be this fucking circle jerky with their god damn pet films. I triggered so many fucking people by mentioning Drive i'm convinced no one here even actually likes movies.

Don't really have any. I really love Kubrick, Eyes Wide Shut and 2001 are his best I think. Badlands is great, The emigrants and The new land is amazing.

Can't do better than OP pic. Spend three hours watching Seven Samurai.

What a fucking faggy retarded OP. I mean, this is literally a tourist from the new wave of capeshit crowd with facebuk/rabbit sensibilities. This board miss elitism deeply.

He is, but people can change. Education and study is important.

Besides the memetic synonyms, and its use as pasta, this is actually an exactly compilation and program for any venturer.

I agree. Of course, you have to start somewhere. But I too wish that if people are new they should make an effort to present themselves better.

Elitism should not discourage plebs who are willing to delve into film as an art form. Rather, it should discourage capeshitters and others of that ilk who relish in their plebbery.

entryway directors for different movements

truffaut for FNW
yang for TNW
kurosawa for JGA
suzuki for JNW
ford and hawks for HGA
scorsese and bogdanovich for NH
kiarostami for INW
renoir and clair for FGA
rosselini for INR
murnau for WC
wenders for NGC

You need to watch Bicycle Thieves, so incredibly influential and important, might be the first great movie

Oh what? the tourist didnt like a single movie you all canonized into saint hood?

These people understand that im looking for movies to begin my journey into film, looks like they actually read my op post about how i HAVENT REALLY DELVED INTO FILM YET. You can keep choosing to belittle me in an effort to make yourself feel better, but it doesnt change the fact that you turned a hobby into something you literally attack other people trying to share the joy with. Enjoy the loneliness.

>You need to watch Bicycle Thieves
Yes, sure
>so incredibly influential and important
Absolutely
>might be the first great movie
:^|

There's at least 5 movies which came out sooner and were better:
>the great dictator
>casablanca
>stagecoach
>citizen kane
>the grapes of wrath