Movie when?

movie when?

Hopefully never. And I mean that in the best way possible.

If she wanted to do Cyberpunk why ruin an anime when she would have been perfect as Molly Millions

will be VRshit this generation's capeshit?

so you prefer our endless stream of sequels, reboots, and now cinematic universes?

Because actors/actresses like showing their face. It's a wonder why Urban was so cool about not showing his in Dredd

Yes? Because I'd rather them shit up movies I don't care about than ruin one of my favorite books.

I mean if anything they'd do a better job of making a miniseries about Burning Chrome.

This.

Movie Stars care about that. Actors who actually care about the character and story they're portraying don't.

that film failed because of bad film makers and the short story is like 8 pages

what do masks have to do with this?

I just like posting that image

Oh I get that. I just don't think there's a lot of actors left that care about their roles and source material.

molly millions has big sunglass lenses surgically inlaid in her face

How about - and trust me, nobody knows how insane this idea is as well as I do - but what if, just what if, a Hollywood studio hired a good writer to write a high-quality original piece of fiction specifically as a movie?

Seriously, hear me out - believe it or not, that actually used to be normal! It didn't used to just be bankable writer/director teams that were relied on to provide original works - it used to be expected that most movies weren't adaptations of anything at all! Adaptations were unusual, they were actually rare enough to generate buzz purely because they were adaptations of previous works!

In fact (and this might blow your mind), there was once a time when the only movies that got "remakes" were insanely shitty low-budget horror B-movies!

I know it seems crazy, but I think it could even be possible in the future.

thats not a mask

it's the same principle

oh also I never even fucking mentioned a mask?

>doing a mini series of burning chrome
They already done fucked up Johnny Nmeumonic (?).
Actually All Tomorrow's Parties would make a great movie.
>those squatters on SF bridge
>those futuristic bicycle messengers
>the lone Ronan

How is the book?

Worth a read?

I think they also made a movie of New Rose Hotel, now that I think about it. It had Walken in it. And I think I'd dig an All Tomorrow's Parties movie. I like the book but it's not on a pedestal for me.

Also I think Hinterlands or The Winter Market would make great one-off Black Mirror-type episodes

It's fucking great. And it's not even that long of a read.

they're mirror shades
people wear sun glasses in films all the time

Not through the entire film

>Nmeumonic
Fucking hell, is this really the kind of person I share a site with?

Or they could go full steampunk and make The Difference Engine.
>mfw i'm the biggest Gibson fan on this board
>mfw I actually own an ugly t-shirt, and use it

It's literally 3am, I'm at work on a phone, give me a fucking break.

One of the lenses comes off near the end

Difference Engine is one of the only good steampunk books. I'd watch it. show us the shirt Oh also is his book about super secret military clothing worth finishing? I'm like a quarter of the way through and I'm not sure if I like it. It doesn't have the same feeling that BC and the Sprawl books had

movie when?

Yes.
It's a little dated now, you have to understand it started cyberpunk as a genre, when it first hit it was mind blowing.
As a film I think SnowCrash would have wider appeal

>making a movie about the book that killed cyberpunk
seems fitting

Exactly

Not trying to be a dick, but i didnt like it much. I stopped maybe a little over half way through however. Maybe i should give it another shot.

cyber punk was killed by its own pretentious hot air

Not who you're asking but if you are undecided I'd say push on, you might be happy with it. The style and themes of the Bridge trilogy is quite different to the sprawl trilogy. They are closer to hard sci-fi with some social commentary thrown in. I found it comfy.

The Blue Ant trilogy is a different animal. I was, at first also dissapointed, but it's Gibson's writing style that I love.
>mfw whenever I recommend his books
>mfw IT'S TOO HARD OF A READ

The squatters were on the Bay Bridge...did you read the novel?

oh yes. its the best genre fiction I've ever read (not that hard since genre fiction is shit though.) when you consider how prescient the book was in the scifi genre, its crazy. however the VR sequences would be hard to do without being weird or cheesy so its maybe best left as a book. I'd like to see Vurt get a movie

Am I even reading the first in the bridge trilogy? I randomly found myself in a borders once and picked it up but the little "other books" list in the beginning was confusing as shit. His other books all had them in a different order so I didn't know which one I got. Or does it matter.

Cyberpunk was killed by the public realization that the Japanese weren't technological demigods.

scratch that. It's blue ant. And I guess I got the third book.

No Cyber punk was killed with a glass knife with an edge an atom thin

It's been about a decade, sorry.

There's two types.
1. Movie stars
2. Actors

Movie stars want exposure and money.
Actors act, usually for some sort of compensation.
Both act in movies but for different reasons. Very rare do you find a movie star who is also a actor.

I'm one of the few people who actually loved the shit out of Johnny Mnemonic. I'd love to see a Neuromancer movie but it'd absolutely have to star a decent cast. I don't think Keanu Reeves was bad in Mnemonic at all but when I see some waifuist fuck posting Scarlett Johansson as Molly my aids flare up

the ugly jew ruins everything
please no

You know I don't just think it's a film representation of VR which makes Gibsons books tricky to make the medium jump, it's also the times they were written, not just set, but the audience reading them.
The books worked in the 90's because a niche of the public were ready to delve into the whole existential questions of self and technology.
The problem is now that audiences have effectively already made the jump and are physically on the other side in a sense.
Today people are far more knowledgeable about New Literacies etc, and the fringe today are way way out.

Due to how tech has gone his books would need a rewrite unless they are presented as some type of factual recount.

It's the problem of when speculative fiction is running alongside technology set in the near future, little changed in time derail it.

actually caring enough to reply on an user image board.

I dunno if I agree with that. If people can buy a medieval Europe with dragons I'm sure they can buy a modern America with laser katanas and weird computers that don't make sense. It's all about presentation, asking people to suspend their disbelief concerning retrofuturism isn't anywhere near as big a leap as asking them to suspend it concerning magic and dragons, yet people do that constantly.

Is it a problem that cyberpunk was wrong? No, the audience is perfectly capable of dealing with it being wrong. The much bigger problem is that it was right. No hollywood studio would touch a movie about evil megacorps and the dystopianism of a laissez-faire capitalist economy, cause it's no longer science fiction.

make this show first

Oh chill the fuck out, dude didn't deserve your pointless attitude.

they are

I agree that the presentation can cover a large gap of suspended disbelief, but modern society more easily accepts older/ancient tropes in fiction and fantasy because of their romantic and colorful allure. I love cyberpunk and the like but for a lot of people, it would clash with the specifics of our present day and near future to the point they'd think it's uncanny and/or dated.

This. The book is absolutely incredible in every last detail, it should never be tarnished by any adaptation.. other than perhaps a 1980s-era point and click adventure game.

>netflix
>good

I didn't say either of those words. Are you mentally handicapped?

Literally the purest, most distilled form of cyberpunk. It's everything it should be, the high tech, the low life, the noir, the dregs, the drugs, the dub, the guns, the corps, the existential angst and futility of everything, and the raw beating heart buried deep at its center.

Of course now that I've oversold it you'll probably be skeptical, but it's definitely worth the read, it's the seed of the entire genre.

Because based KUrban is
BASED
A
S
E
D

Seconding this, Neuromancer is amazing and so is Count Zero. Mona Lisa Overdrive was kinda boring though.

I mean its better not to do it then do it by netflix

I don't really watch a lot of netflix but I thought they were part of the "golden age of cinema" meme that's been going around, are they not good? People won't stop talking about House of Cards or The Americans.

>House of Cards or The Americans.
Da faq is thislow budget shit?
>People
What people? Basement dwellers?

Fuck off that one pablo escobar show is great. And they're picking up Scrotal Recall and making a second season

Urgh i can't stand chick flicks and new romantics were the worst part of the 80s.

bad joke killing a good thread.