What martial art(s) actually teach practical self defense...

What martial art(s) actually teach practical self defense? I used to be a mall ninja type and thought krav maga was the shit but after a few years of hearing others opinions I understand that its basically garbage.

I want to cultivate zen in my life and essentially learn something that keeps me fit and healthy, boxing looks fun but I don't associate with that crowd well at all and I'm not looking to fight for competition, but rather spar in the gym on a weekly basis.

I'm 6'4, 195, athleticish build, fuckin white mail.

What does Sup Forums recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/bank-of-america-wonders-about-the-matrix-2016-9
youtube.com/watch?v=imjmLWj5WCU
youtube.com/watch?v=5FsqGQHPGJU
youtube.com/watch?v=P9FJQ1ykn0M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

do the asian one....

Muay Thai

I would suggest mastering the art of cock fu, but it seems you're already a 17th degree black belt

Krav Maga is for jews

I study Jeet Kune Do, Phillipine Martial Arts and Kyusho-Jitsu

The best one for self defense (robery, armed assault, dissarming) is Phillipine Martial Arts
Jeet Kune Do is for picking up street fights when you cannot break someone's arm or poke their eye out
Kyusho Jitsu is great for taking care of the integrity of the opponent

depends on what you're looking for

Personally I would suggest studying Jeet Kune Do (because it's a mix of a few arts) and is very "street practical". I've done that as well as Filipino Kali for a few years.

Aikido

Shaolin King Fu

this.

Buy a gun you retard

>The best one for self defense (robery, armed assault, dissarming) is Phillipine Martial Arts
>Jeet Kune Do is for picking up street fights when you cannot break someone's arm or poke their eye out
>Kyusho Jitsu is great for taking care of the integrity of the opponent

What is he doesn't live in America

Boxing or muay thai for striking
Judo or jujitsu for ground
That's it. Everything else is basically memes.

Yeah, except for the fact that all of the best strikers in the history of UFC have a background in TKD, Karate, or Kenpo.

>What martial art(s) actually teach practical self defense?

>What does Sup Forums recommend?

Never officially studied any martial arts myself but i've been in a lot of fights because I lived in a bad neighborhood most of my life. Had to fight multiple opponents without any "rules" almost every day so I picked up random things over the years. So my anser to your question is 'freestyle' or what ever you want to call it.

I'm extremely flexible and fast but big as fuck and bearmode so I usually can surprise most opponents and beat them up fast. However if the fight goes on too long I can lose stamina faster than some little fuck dancing around me like a faggot and it would give him upper hand for a while before I recover.

All in all find what works for you, there is no "lern only this one thing and win" martial art. Some styles work better with different people.

For example some of my friends like Karate, others Petiki-Tirsia Kali or Taekwondo.

mma is the only one worth the effort. maybe karate also.

do mma, lrn2 destroy, become human tank

Yeah, it's inevitable that most people start with the memes because that's what is immediately available. Take Anderson Silva for example - he did tkd at one point as a kid, but then moved on to do both boxing and muay thai alongside bjj, I think. To find pure traditional martial arts fighters of the sort you're pretending exists you need to look at the early days of UFC where people who only did say, a form of karate were fighting. They invariably got their asses handed to them.

You really just need to learn how to throw a few hard punches OP. Most of the random shit you'll learn in martial arts classes is a waste of time. Just take up boxing.

This. user, you are absolutely right.

definitely, i agree friend.
youre one clever son of a gun ya know that?

This

this 100%

I fucking agree whole heartily

Can't help but agree!

I don't like the idea of running 30 miles a week

Finally someone gets it. Nice going, user.

what a smart guy!

Yes, this guy knows his shit OP

What the fuck is wrong with you you fucking nigger? You lazy piece of shit

C'est genius! I couldn't agree more. I very much an in agreement with you.

Yeah, you need to man the cuck up.

I think I triggered someone with a discount black belt in chop socky

Yeah d00d

this so much

I uses to practice North Shaolin Kung Fu, the most traditional one, I didn't learn a martial art to actually fight, but it ended up happening.

Almost 16 years into it, I had to drop it out because of an car accident, I almost lost my leg, and I still have knee problem to this day.

If you don't have the time for a real learning go with boxing, I'm not saying boxing isn't hard, it's just faster to learn.

Wow dude stop answering your own comment

yeah, this guy gets it

Ninjitsu, best jew.

>What is he
KYS.

you're fucking right mate

WHEN I DIDN'T CALCULATE PROTEINS THE DEATH HAS COME TO THE GRANDFATHER
WHEN I DIDN'T CALCULATE PROTEINS THE DEATH HAS COME TO THE GRANDMOTHER.
WHEN I DIDN'T CALCULATE PROTEINS THE DEATH HAS COME TO PARENTS.
WHEN I DIDN'T CALCULATE PROTEINS THE DEATH HAS COME TO THE BEST FRIENDS.
WHEN I DIDN'T CALCULATE PROTEINS THE DEATH HAS COME TO MY GIRL BECAUSE THE ILLNESS WAS MORE SEVERE THAN HER REASON AND THE BODY.
BUT WHEN THERE WAS ALREADY NOBODY TO CALCULATE PROTEINS - THE DEATH HAS COME ALSO TO ME.

BOINC / ROSETTA HOME.

U dumb amerifag :D

/thread

True, just swing at 'em

I'm going to call you out right now. You sound like the type that isn't going to commit to a real martial art, so I'm going to suggest Judo. Most people want to learn a martial art but don't actually put the time and effort into it. Here's my little explanation :

Judo is the best all around martial art if you're only going to study for 2-3 months. Throwing in a fight is your best defence apart from running.

Next in line would be jiujitsu. The rules of jiujitsu are a little better than judo, however, jiujitsu doesn't teach you throwing until you understand the concepts of ground game. (Which are also super important, but maybe after 2-3 months of learning to stand and throw someone, not all fights start on the ground.)

Next you'd go with boxing. Striking should be a last resort. You're most likely not going to knock someone out if it's your first fight. Most people don't understand how fucking weak their punches are ("Oh but I'm a really strong puncher", lol fight me irl) Maui Thai and Karate are not bad disciplines if you want to really get into it, but boxing and kickboxing are your easiest options if you're wanting to learn quick.

If you actually want to learn to fight against a fighter, it's going to take you 3-5 years at least. If you want to fight some random ufc fan on the street after the bar, learn judo, then jiujitsu, then karate/boxing/maui thai.

I second this.
Don't register for competition and you can enjoy sparring, muay thaï sparring is the best, you get to fight with you fists, elbows, knees, you can kick wherever you want, block however you want, throw or swipe your opponent.. And the close combat is so much fun!
It also teaches great values,would recommend 10/10

I completely agree.

samefag

This 100%

agreed 100%

Tae Bo. Nothing better.

There is only one martial art.
Tai-Chai

totally Sup Forumsro i agree
thats what i did and it worked out great

i heard wing chung was cool

Wing Chun is all about defense.

after all this horseshit over all the martial arts against each other and the invention of UFC it has come full circle and someone who is good a boxing and wrestling beats the dog shit out of everyone else. jiu jitsu is ok.

You think that is air you're breathing?

businessinsider.com/bank-of-america-wonders-about-the-matrix-2016-9

No shit. It's from a country that is completely surrounded by people who want to wipe them off the face of the earth. Can you think of a culture that is better at self-defense?

I seem to remember that Bruce Lee developed a fighting style that was just the bare essentials without any showy moves at all. My cousin, who worshiped Lee, has it's highest belt. Fucked if I can remember what it's called though

Yeah, it's called bullshitjitsu.

Try to find someone who's willing to teach MCMAP to civvies. Look around for Systema too.

Cham Pig Non is a good one

Judo, Hock Hochheim. Seriously. Judo teaches, throws, grapples and a variety of chokes/submissions. Hock Hocheim force necessary focuses on disarming people, using a variety of weapons, improvised or otherwise ad responses in certain situations. You have to stick with it though.

I knew a Hock Hochheim instructor. He has several students, women and men, ho have been in dangerous situations and applied training that saved them.

Jeet Kune Do I believe

Shin Ken Goishin Jitsu Ryu is the most versatile martial art

Get a dog
Self defense and zen

I train Brazilian jiu-jitsu and most fights goto the ground I think it's pretty useful if combined with some dirty fighting

judo and boxing...

seriously - no nonsense, widely available and cheaper than your average MMA gym... if you want to get into MMA later then the transition to brazilian ju jitsu and thaiboxing should be fairly striahgforwards

some krav maga lessons might be useful but really what you want it regular practice sparing and grappling with live, fully resisting opponents... judo and boxing offer that

antoher good thing is you're not going to get the shit instructors/Mc dojos you get with other arts - firstly neither are current fads and secondly you have to fight/compete

lastly - specifically to judo, if you've got a professional career and you get into a fight outside a bar or something... not some life or death situation just a drunk idiot... you don't want to risk potential police trouble - you'll look far better in court or in the eyes of the law using judo than throwing punches... forgetting the fact that hitting someone with a pavement is far more effective than hitting with your fists and that dumping someone on their head can do serious damage or even kill them the fact you can stand up and say you didn't even throw a punch and only defended yourself is golden if dealing with a cop after the event.

I trained Wing Chun in a "fight" oriented gym, but the lack of actual hard sparring bothered me. I switched to Muay Thai, and then later BJJ which I still do.

In my opinion the easiest way to win a fight is to shoot a decisive doubleleg and just mount them and punch (or grapple, if you know how to). In my experience there is no way krav maga / WC etc will stop a strong double leg. The techniques I learned worked great in practice, but when someone committed wants to take you down they will. Add adrenaline (and or drugs) the chance of stopping it is hard.

Against multiple oponents youre fucked anyway, so why bother training for that?

nooooooooooooo

watch this OP

youtube.com/watch?v=imjmLWj5WCU

he has no idea

Jet Kuni Do does not have belt ranking, unless HIS/YOUR teacher decided to do so, which would just go against the philosophy of the jkd itself.

Me again, shit I forgot my main point. I wanted to say to OP that you shouldnt think you dont "match " with boxing or MMA crowds. I train at the most serious (some UFC fighters etc) in my town, and people are very polite and respectful. I think it is due to sparring being humbling. At least you should not let that opinion deter you from trying any specific art.

Wing Chun.

Screw you buddy I'm being cyber-bullied here - I need a safe space

my god...

>fight oriented Win Chun

It is fake humility.

>Against multiple oponents youre fucked
I've trained Wing Chun as well, brother, we had a sparring against 3 opponents/attackers, but, as you mentioned, maybe was the lack of sparring at your gym.

Muy Thai and judo are great for self defense. Muy Thai has crushing offense and judo will always win against an untrained opponent.

yeah all you need is hard punches.

GOOD JOB user!

Uh, Krav Maga is the Jews' martial art for their military. It's pretty good.

Muay Thai is also pretty popular amongst MMA practitioners, as are Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Karate, and Judo.

Really, though, the thing I think is the most important about any martial art is to worry about how you're moving and adapting to the people around you.

Martial arts teach you a specific way of doing things, which can always be used but may not necessarily be the best.

Btw, Bruce Lee's martial art is called "Jeet Kune Do," meaning "the Way of the Interrupting Fist." Bruce Lee actually abandoned his own brainchild later in life, claiming that it was too limiting.

I think the gist of what can be gained from studying any martial art is a sense of how to move and how much energy and focus you will be granted in a fight. Lots of gyms have you train physically before they start teaching you the art because that's about how you're going to feel in a real "no rules" fight; you're not going to be at your best.

If you want something for zen, try a Chinese art. They're really focused on the mental/spiritual aspect, so they talk about shit like Chi a lot, but if you ignore that bit you'll gain a good zen from it.

More importantly, though, if you're looking to spar occasionally, a kung fu school might let you spar (or they might do slow-form sparring), karate schools like sparring, and I would assume most of the non-Chinese schools would be pretty into sparring in general. BJJ and Judo are all about sparring; it's hard to learn joint locks if you can't ever use them. And Muay Thai encourages sparring, as well, from what I know about it.

What He meant with
>I trained Wing Chun in a "fight" oriented gym
It was not a traditional dojo.

>Sparring three on one
>Everyone using the same martial art
How does this make any sense - your martial art teaches one person how to take on three, but doesn't teach the skills needed for three people to beat up one?

I've done Tae Kwon Do for years. Quick strong attacks meant to end the fight immediately. It's a lot of fun too. As a side note, although I don't have a belt in it, we practice judo as well at our dojo because when a kick to the face can't happen quickly, you can at least get them on the ground and stomp their face.

Yes, judo is the king of martial arts.

So did we.. And I don't mean to be dick but if you sparred against 3 opponents and came out with the conclusion you would be safe in that scenario, I dont think you learned much.

It was supposed to represent 3 non-trained attackers. Maybe doesn't makes sense to you, I don't know.

So three of your classmates would pretend to be retarded? Sounds like a great technique for training man.

Firearms training.

I recommend starting with Wing Chun then strengthening your body with Hung Gar.
The important thing is repetition. The point of learning a martial art is to repeat until the movements become reflex. You don't want to be consciously thinking of how you want to attack or defend, you should let your body automatically do that for you through learned reflex.

yea user, boxing will be your savior.

>Against multiple oponents youre fucked anyway, so why bother training for that?

youtube.com/watch?v=5FsqGQHPGJU

Yeah go to the ground it's way better than throwing punch

>Wing Chun
>Ever
youtube.com/watch?v=P9FJQ1ykn0M

The United States, because they supply israel with all their weapons.

I've never did that assumption. You just need to be prepared for shit, you know. I've had the chance to go to Iran to see their training of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, where basically was 6 on 1, shit was cash.

I don't think you understand, but ok. It's not like attackers on the street knows how to fight as well. They didn't act like chimps, if it's What you are thinking. They just try to grab you, punch you like usually happens in a street fight.