6. Thief
7. Public Enemies
8. Blackhat
9. Ali
10. The Keep
12. Last of the Mohicans

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K1ryJDVuZ6k
deadline.com/2016/04/michael-mann-books-harper-collins-heat-prequel-don-winslow-tony-accardo-sam-giancana-1201735560/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1. Manhunter
2. Miami Vice

After that, Thief or Heat. Collateral is one of his lesser films.

All shit.

First ones are too surface level pleb crap, rest are pretty much failed abortions (wev) that only have good cinematography

I love the second half of Theif but the first part is just "okay" am I a pleb? Also it should have a jazz soundtrack not synth

When will the 3 hour directors cut of The Keep be released by criterion?

>am I a pleb?
> it should have a jazz soundtrack not synth
This just answers itself.

>it's a ''Collateral is one of his lesser films, Miami Vice is one of his best'' meme opinion post

fucking kys

>8. Blackhat
pleb detected

But it's true. Collateral is so strict, Miami Vice is so free.

'no'

1. MIAMI VICE
2. BLACKHAT
3. THE INSIDER
4. MANHUNTER
5. ALI
6. THIEF
7. COLLATERAL
8. HEAT
9.PUBLIC ENEMIES
10. THE KEEP
11. THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS

Collateral is a pretty basic action film. It's good - nice aesthetic, silly ending - but pretty conventional stuff, lacking the tour de force execution of something like Heat.

1. Miami Vice
2. Thief
3. Collateral
4. Heat
5. Manhunter
6. The Insider
7. Blackhat
8. Ali
9. Public Enemies
10. Last of the Mohicans

I haven't seen The Keep yet.

>Mannfags
GAS THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT EM OUT

so vague that it's meaningless and says nothing about the quality of the films

>unironically using ''tour de force''

come on

It does. Collateral IS GRR IM FILMMAKING LOOK GRR ACT AND GO while Miami Vice feels spontaneous and free of limitations.

surprised by the miami vice love - totally agree, should've had that at #2

could you tell me your favorite american directors that are between 60-80 years old?

The Keep ( true patrician kino ) > The Thief >
The Manhunter > The Heat > shit > rest

John Ford lived to 79, Terrence Malick is 72, Brian De Palma is 75 or something, Clint Eastwood holy shit 8-fucking-6.

Those are my favorite granpa directors from USofA

What an odd question?

It's just a very jazzy movie

which version of the keep have you seen? i've only seen it once, and apparently watched a shit version that had been butchered. not sure where to get the other joint tho

When will Michael Mann direct a capeshit film?

Pretty good. Collateral is a little too high for me but other than that, I like it.

Michael mann > brian de palma

de palma is more like friedkin-tier

Why are Mann's films so watchable? I once watched Manhunter five days in a row and am probably about to watch Blackhat for the third time in less than 48hrs.

Am I just fucked up?

>come on
Heat is the best heist film I've seen, whereas Collateral is nowhere near the best of anything. In your mind, what distinguishes the film?

also L.A. Takedown which was as good as Heat.

The long one. I'd seen the vhs one years ago and thought it was awesome, the atmosphere is great.

While I respect your opinion, I don't have to agree with it.

The "real" version has never been released and the footage probably doesn't even exist anymore
And Mann could care less about putting together a directors cut

The only people who saw the full version were coked up studio heads

never. would be dope to see him do a space movie tho

Not at all. He uses every aspect of 'cinema' very effectively.

Friedkin is way better than de Palma.

John Ford died four decades ago. I just wanted to know which directors that are from Mann's generation that you liked. Thanks for the anwser, fäm. We have similar taste (aside from your Mann slander ofc)

No, it's a neo-noir. Jazz is more for Melville.

Also, jazz sucks balls and is for pretentious tryhards.

He already did Hancock

Post your letterboxd

>3. Manhunter
manhunter is fucking trash
>dat final scene editing
who thought that looked good enough to release?

You're an idiot.

Not even close. Friedkin makes classed up B-movies. DePalma makes B-movies into high art.

What do you mean by this?

says the manfag
lmao get fucked loser

pretty sure he meant mann produced it/berg is kind of his protege

Ah I see, I wasn't aware.

"NO"

I was thinking about this the other day. I was thinking about how impossible it would be to translate his films to the stage, even though you could do that with a lot of films. The soul of his films lie in those things unique to modern filmmaking, music, sound design, depth of field, props and costume changes. It fascinates me how in some moments he almost seems to totally disregard dialogue as a means of storytelling, favouring sound and atmosphere instead.

That said, he's my unpopular pick for a Neuromancer movie. Mann's approach is the cinematic equivalent of Gibson's world building; detailed descriptions of surfaces, brands and other superficialities.

No Spartan. Fucking pleb list OP

>all these fags putting Mohicans last, below The Keep even
>little boys' reverence for the dully conventional Collateral because SO BADASS SO OPERATORCORE

do most people even understand the appeal of michael mann

Why does Sup Forums hate The Insider so much? It's literally the only great script he wrote, really gripping stuff.

Tangerine Dream did a top 10 soundtrack of all time for Thief.
>that beach scene theme

You're a pleb. Manhunter is a brilliant movie. Pure 80's kino.

>he watches 4 the plot

The rankings are relative: I think all of these are at least good except for the Jericho Mile and L.A. Takedown.

Saw Last of the Mohicans just yesterday and while effective it's not on par with usual Mann kino.

The soundtrack in particular is very bland, both the music and the sound effects. Which is very damaging to Mann's directing that relies a lot on non-voice sound for narration.

No, it should have a jazz soundtrack, daddy-o.

BLACKHAT DIRECTORS CUT WHEN

>That said, he's my unpopular pick for a Neuromancer movie. Mann's approach is the cinematic equivalent of Gibson's world building; detailed descriptions of surfaces, brands and other superficialities.

He was actually going to do an adaptation of Count Zero after Heat.

TRIGGERED

His masterpiece along with Heat, but it has no gunfights, so it doesn't get much play among the 20-something males for whom Mann is interchangeable with The Boondock Saints or Man of Steel.

pre-digital mann is fucking plebby.
then again
digital mann is fucking plebby too, but less so

I wonder in what manner of world jazz fits an über-80s esthetics as Thief with neons everywhere and its fusion of sterilized and gritty elements.

Not that jazz isn't shit anywhere, but it would be particularly misplaced here.

>He was actually going to do an adaptation of Count Zero after Heat.
Holy shit. According to this he must still have the the rights. A Gibson script directed by Mann would be a personal wet dream.

Jazz sucks by itself but is great in a movie

>The soundtrack in particular is very bland, both the music and the sound effects.

youtube.com/watch?v=K1ryJDVuZ6k

Every film without a jazz soundtrack is innately flawed.

>tfw Michael Mann isn't the one making the Snowden movie

It's generic as fuck. It even has an "epic" vibe.
This is the kind of easy emotional melodramatic stuff I don't mind being edgy against.

when is the ferrari film coming?

btw, how the fuck does he still gets funding?

What's he working on right now?

Ferrari was planned to be shot this summer in Italy until Bale dropped out, so they will probably shoot next summer. Also Mann is working on his publishing projects (Heat prequel novel, Tony Accardo novel) and developing tv shows.

you mean the commercial he directed?

what is ferrari?

he's writing books?

Eeesh, Blackhat hit him hard, huh? Seeing him jump back into TV could be interesting, considering the current climate and how seminal Miami Vice was in the 80s.

He's working on novels with other writers that he may eventually turn into films that he may or may not direct.
deadline.com/2016/04/michael-mann-books-harper-collins-heat-prequel-don-winslow-tony-accardo-sam-giancana-1201735560/

this

please Universal

we need it

>Winslow & Mann.
eh shit writer and shit director doesn't equal good

>Blackhat hit him hard
Well if you watch Heat that trash plays like a fucking high light reel of television show and Miami Vice was his so~ it makes sense for him to do TV stuff even if Blackhat had been success.

he is (supposedly) doing a film about enzo ferrari

it's like i'm really on Sup Forums

>12. Last of the Mohicans

Please fucking kill yourself. Here's the real list:

1. Heat
2. Last of the Mohicans
3. Collateral
4. The Insider
5. Manhunter
6. Thief
7. Spartan

Worst opinions I have ever seen on Sup Forums

Is he the king of no-dialogue hyper-stylized moments?

Collateral > Miami Vice > The Insider > Heat > Manhunter > Blackhat > Thief > Ali > Public Enemies > Last of the Mohicans > The Keep

The Keep is the only legitimately bad movie he's made, and everything up until Manhunter is flawless.

must admit theatrical version of last of the mohicans is 8/10 vs directors cut that is 6/10

I hope that one day you'll be able to comprehend the masterpiece that is Miami Vice, kiddo

Hell no. He can't fucking stage, direct actors or write a believable relationship between characters

Its one of the best epic movie soundtracks of all time you fucking scumbag.

>conventional storytelling is the most important part of a film

pls stop posting

obviously

Heat, Thief and Miami Vice...the original series.

Hey steakbro

It was a steaming pile of shit. You guys aren't fooling anyone outside of this retarded Mongolian anime board.

>7. Spartan

ok is this the birth of an epic new meme or is there really a popular misconception that michael mann had anything to do with the movie spartan

Mann didnt make spartan.

why do i feel like i'm being stalked

The Keep is as good as his other films made around that period. The only truly bad things he's done are his tv directing credits up until the Luck pilot. Of course I haven't seen his early short films and docs.

Michael Mann-David Mamet collabo when?

The original cut of The Keep is probably incredible, but the hack job that got released is a disaster.

I don't know bro we keep bumping into each other at random threads. Followed you day or two ago in Letterboxd (I'm the fag who recommended Dust in the Wind and 13 Hours for you)

When will Public Enemies get its due as the masterpiece it clearly is?

keep posting mann stills, fäm

It took my a while but I eventually liked it after a few watches

it feels like Mann's films usually take around 10 years to get wider recognition

keep waiting

i only have caps from MIAMI VICE