What would happen if GB surpassed China?

What would happen if GB surpassed China?

Also why is Japan doing so well?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/05/britain-team-gb-medals-rio-olympics
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What would happen if GB surpassed China?

Be glorious.

Hope you guys can do it.

The Earth would briefly cease to spin on its axis, and then quickly resume spinning.

>Also why is Japan doing so well?
Prepping for Tokyo 2020

>All those unique flags
>France and Italy shit it up

Would be great if GB take over China, but I feel like there are too many golds that China will win in meme sports.

Also, Japan has been a top 10 team on most tallies since the early 90s I believe.

Being top 10 isn't all that impressive for a wealthy country with a high population.

They would hand back Hong Kong and officially renounce Communism.

Asians are übermenschen while anglos are the scum on earth,

and Germany and Russia...

>while anglos are the scum on earth,

That'd be the Germanic tribes.

You ransacked and shit all over Rome, plunging the world into the Dark Ages until Italy and then glorious Britain brought us out of it with the Renaissance and the Age of Enlightenment.

Germany just can't stop shitting.

won't happen.

Why are all their eye so widely spaced?

They actually have a pretty good shot. Is China even competing in any track event?

How the hell are germany 4th. I have not seen a single event they won

Mostly horse dancing and some shooting events.

I think they've won three golds in sports that actually require athletic ability.

What would be impressive for a country like Japan?

They obviously can't compete with the USA and China (and in previous Olympics, Russia/USSR). No one can.

Should they be aiming for 3rd to 6th? And if that is where they should be aiming for, where is an impressive place for Australia to finish, given that Japan is both wealthier and has a bigger population?

Personally I'm not a fan of 'per capita' and wealth of nations argument, and I think a top 10 finish is a great result for any country.

>American education
Too many slaves and inflation destroyed the Roman empire and Anglo-Saxons are Germanic as well.

I saw them win discus this morning over the highly fancied Poland.

Prolly cause they focus on the real sports in the anglo-sphere. Eurocucks need meme sports to compete.

incest

The great migration destroyed the Roman Empire. Stop believing in Jewish cover ups

Discus throwing is the OG Olympic discipline m8

>Only cycling gold guaranteed later tonight.
>All the events we're good at are finished
>Surpass China

??????

>too many slaves
>literally unlimited free man-power
>this is a bad recourse somehow

Cool, you have an actual event. So does Kenya. You still need meme sports to compete.

Golf m8.

come on GB

\o/

Well probably win a few more golds here and there, will struggle to get past 15 though.

>what is rowing

>Should they be aiming for 3rd to 6th?
Yes, that is far more impressive. Once you get past fifth place, medal counts tail off quite precipitously. Single digit gold count is a still top ten performance.

I think third to sixth is also a good place for Australia to shoot for. Focus on your core sports: sailing, swimming and cycling and you should be able to place high.

In many ways, I think Australia's problem is similar to that of the US: our most popular sports are non-Olympic, as our yours: Cricket and non-meme rugby, right?

Meanwhile the chinese gymnastics and diving rape train will continue.

Something else the Germans used to be good at but aren't anymore.

>aren't anymore
Two golds and one silver so far, only Britain has more rowing medals. How is that not being good at rowing?

Didn't win eight, didn't win singles.

All the other rowing events are created for people who couldn't manage to get on the eight or aren't strong enough for a single.

They gave us a scare m8. GB reclaimed the men's 8+ gold so it was all good.

There is no chance really. We have only a couple of guarenteed Golds remaining and Rutherford/Ennis fucked up last night.

Meanehile China have:

4 more Diving events, 4 more Badminton events, 2 more table tennis events. Thats 10 guarenteed Golds right there, minus 1-2 if they POSSIBLY choke.

And some Gymnastic events they could get Gold in but they've been choking there hard so far as they have in Weightlifting.

Plus some other meme events since they have medal competitors in near everything.

China will finish comfortably finish above us really.

There's the problem of our main sports being non Olympic, but I think the bigger problem is a lack of funding, whether it's private or government funds.

When we had our golden era from 2000 to 2008, we finished 4th at Sydney and Athens, and 6th at Beijing, and each time we comfortably got double digit gold medals.

In that period, the Australian Institute of Sport was well funded. When the Labor government was elected in late 2007, I believe a lot of funding for the AIS ceased, and since then our performance has declined not just at the Olympics, but at the Commonwealth Games, and other international sports.

>And some Gymnastic events they could get Gold

Whitlock is unironically the favourite for the horse in gymnastics. We're more prone to choking though.

(You)

nah, m8 he's right.

If you call yourself satisfied but you didn't win the eight, that's like saying winning 2. Bundesliga is just as good as being German Champion.

>first ever medal for the women's 8+

>government-funded sports
I don't think that would ever fly in the US.

No chance in Rio but I am optimistic about Tokyo 2020. My reasoning is as follows:

>Japanese and Chinese people are of similar stature
>they excel in similar sports
>Tokyo gets home games bonus points boosting them and denying China some of their usual golds
>Great Britain, god's own country, builds on its steady progress and achieves a similar performance in Tokyo as in Rio
>but this time it's enough to beat the Chinese

Thoughts?

The official estimate/aim for the Team GB is ~40 medals, so China's lead is already almost insurmountable even if we win all of the medals we expect to.

It was an excellent race. Your girls kept it close the whole time.

Only if it's lotto funded

tl;dr FPTP happens in sports too

The official aim is 48 medals, because it's one more than the 47 we won in Beijing, which is what Team GB judge to be the last comparable games as it was away from home

>builds on its steady progress

Easier said than done.

There's always the chance you might plateau or some other country might decide to contest your strong suits and start nibbling medals away from you here and there.

The political winds could change and the people might decide that the lottery money might be better served on something like road paving.

Or you could become content with success. Your current spate of success was spurred-on by your underwhelming performance in 1996 and 2000, and the realization you didn't want to embarrass yourselves at home in 2012.

I don't think those things will happen

Is the aim just to get more overall?

If you end up getting 3 more gold medals, but say 10 less overall, would that be considered a failure?

One gold is worth all of the bronzes and silvers

No one cares about the total

I'm not saying they will, but if anything would knock you down a peg or two, it would be something like those.

Another possibility is becoming crystallized: too focused on an extremely narrow set of sports to the exclusion of basically all others. That would put a hard ceiling on your potential medal count.

Here's an article on it

>In the afterglow of London, UK Sport – the funding agency that has poured £350m of lottery and exchequer funding into Olympic and Paralympic sport over the last four years – set the bar insanely high, vowing to become the first host to better their medal tally at the Games that followed.

>That “more medals in more sports” mantra was later downgraded to the more manageable target of beating the 47 medals won in Beijing to make this Britain’s best away Games.

>Taken together, the funded Olympic sports, which benefitted from a £274.5m investment over four years in a time of public-sector funding cuts, have been set a target range of 47 to 79.

theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/05/britain-team-gb-medals-rio-olympics

Following on, I think everyone knows it's the golds that really count, but Team GB will aim for more "overall medals" because

1) it's a higher number, it looks better on them

2) it's easier to target than golds - anyone can choke but you generally can tell if someone should medal or not.

3) generally speaking, if you win more overall medals you're going to get more golds

>if you win more overall medals you're going to get more golds
tell that to Australia or New Zealand

18 more total medals might be a tall order, but it's always good to set high goals for yourself.

>"generally speaking"

Plot total medals against gold medals and call me if you can't find a correlation there

I don't think 18 more should be that difficult. We should be in the mid 50s to be honest.

If you look at total medals, there's a lot to come for GB. Today alone we have 2 for the men's sprint final and we have golf and tennis finals. Off the top of my head.

That's another 4 just today, at least one of which is guaranteed gold.

>at least one of which is guaranteed gold.

don't say shit like this

M8... the cycling sprint final involves two athletes competing for gold and silver

They are both in Team GB. Kenny and the other Brit both won their semi-finals last night.

It's literally a guaranteed gold and silver for GB. It's in the bank but not on the medal table until tonight

Get with the times, grandad. There's literally a GBR vs GBR final in the track cycling.

Countries do very well the year before they host, when they host and the year after they host.

That should answer all your questions.

Make that 5

The BBC informs me we are guaranteed silver in the windsurfing too

They watch sports anime and self insert

>The BBC informs me we are guaranteed silver in the windsurfing too

That's been known about for a few days I think.

>That's been known about for a few days I think.

Not by me bruv

No one asked you fatty

China will dominate the meme events we don't stand a chance

they do meme equestrian sports

capitalism?

Don't be surprised if China, Japan, or GB gets most golds and or most medals. We won't medal in events that we generally don't medal.

NBC seems to, for the first 2 days didn't they go off total medal counts so they could put USA above China until USA took the lead?

japan has like 130m people and not third world + trying harder because they host in 4 years

they should be doing better mate

are you retarded? slavery is inefficient

No, we just don't think that funding what is essentially entertainment is part of the government's responsibility.

We do OK with sponsorships and donations.

I don't know. Please make it happen so we can all laugh at China.

We still have some solid gold chances left:
Women's Omnium (Trott)
Men's Omnium (Cavendish)
Men's Keirin (Kenny)
Tennis (EBAM)
Golf (Rose)
5000m (Farah)

I think we can win a few Sailing medals too.

>Cavendish
>implying gold
m8...

>übermenschen
You sure do use that word a lot for a people who've done nothing but go to war with THE FUCKING WORLD and lose, twice.

When the world is speaking Kraut or Chink, we can talk. Until then, keep working on your English and respect your Anglo superiors.

japs building up to a 2nd place finish at home in 2020

>Cav gold

This is real life mat, not a fairytale

+1 in /gym/ - Men's floor. C'mon GB you got this.