/who/ - Doctor Who General

Full Circle edition

What does /who/ think of the start of the E-Space trilogy?
Is Adric a shit in this, or does he not become a shit until later?
Would the marshmen be good in the new series?

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5ADGrq8cQco&feature=youtu.be
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Stories_by_year_of_release
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Meme
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fuck off JNTfag

Well I can't argue with those dubs. Guess I'll have to go now.

Maybe
Yes
Yes

GOAT ep. Marshmen spooky as fuck.

Good thread. Your roof wont be dumped on user.
I liked the episode too desu.

Pretty mediocre but interesting.
It has one of the worst big finish sequels of all time, which was written by the same guy as the original strangely.

>Andrew "Fucking Boring" Smith

Not bad, particularly considering it was written by a fucking two-year-old.

>Gareth "Great writer!" Roberts

>people actually responding to the Classic serial OP
Whoa is this bizarro /who/?

More like E-space /who/

It's a running theme on /who/ to chronologically go thru the all the classic TV stories.

The BF audios will follow eventually. Even tho only die-hard DW fans have listened to them.

>The BF audios will follow eventually
What are we doing after McCoy?

Probably the TV movie then Eccles

Nah we have to cover some wilderness years stuff
>VNAs
>EDAs
>Wilderness audios
>Dimensions in Time
>Curse of the Fatal Death
>Scream of the Shalka
>Downtime

Nah desu

Yes senpai

Did the element of the cheetah people not leave the master's DNA? Or is Michelle just a furry?

We definitely aren't doing the BF audios. There's 200+ in the monthly range, 80+ Companion Chronicles, 50+ EDAs, 30+ 4DAs, 20+ Lost Stories and loads of special releases. That would take about 400 threads in total.
Plus, as you said, even fewer people would discuss them.

Let's limit ourselves to video Doctor Who stories. Dimensions in Time, the TV Movie, those audios that were made into webcasts and Scream of the Shalka. Then NuWho.

Oh forgot this gem.
youtube.com/watch?v=5ADGrq8cQco&feature=youtu.be

Maybe just do threads for each range of audios/novels instead of the individual stories?

>We definitely aren't doing the BF audios
Maybe we could do a poll and select just a handful of notable ones? People might want to talk about Spare Parts or Zagreus or whatever. Or do threads for "the first 20 audios" and so on, discussing a batch of them all at once.

That's a good idea, do multiple stories per thread. Maybe we could go by year, so it will still feel chronological?
>1991 books
>1992 books
>1993 books
Then, when the audios start:
>1999 books and audios
>2000 books and audios
And so on.

That works, then Dimensions in Time, the TVM etc can just get inserted in their proper chronological spot. Is there some kind of resource with everything listed in publication order, though?

Watching The Shakespeare Code. It's weird how much more emotional that ending is thanks to The Day of the Doctor.

tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Stories_by_year_of_release

whut?

Reminder that this fake logo.

reminder that someone posted more and said they're unused series 5 logos and i dont really understand what that means

Really? That would have been all wrong for series 5.

>someone posted more and said they're unused series 5 logos
As in, changing the story completely? Just more evidence it's all bollocks

Actually, it's obviously another ruse since they made changes to it by request.

I'm getting some 1st Doctor's logo vibes from this b8

Vertical logos are dead, we're stuck with widescreen.

Scaling the "WHO" up is a thing they should do though. It's the only way to resolve the imbalance between the lengths of the two words without going vertical.

RIP

That's a good point.

Also it would restore the punch of the title card that NuWho lost. It's not "Doctor who," it's "Doctor WHO?".

To be honest, I've never really understood the title of the show. I assumed that it was named that to imply a mystery as to his name but I've never seen it explicitly confirmed by Lambert or anything.

>I assumed that it was named that to imply a mystery as to his name
It's not just his name, his whole character was a mystery. In the beginning you didn't know anything about him except that he's an alien and some kind of scientist. With the amount of backstory he and the Time Lords have been given now, the title doesn't really fit anymore.

It's a show named after the main character, lots of shows do it.

>With the amount of backstory he and the Time Lords have been given now, the title doesn't really fit anymore.
It's a pity, really. While I really enjoyed all the gallifrey/time lord episodes it's hard to seriously say that they're a worthwhile addition to the show.

lol

>With the amount of backstory he and the Time Lords have been given now, the title doesn't really fit anymore.
Nonsense. The Doctor is a mystery to all those whose lives he drops in upon. We might know him pretty well by this point, but every time he arrives in a story he's "who?" and he never quite fits into any situation. That's part of the magic of how he's still going after 50 years.

And frankly, even with all the backstory and character analysis we have on him, part of the fun of the character is still his ambiguity. You never truly know what he's thinking, even when he's being honest or emotional. He's a character that encompasses universes, different interpretations, and theoretically infinite layers, and that increases the older he gets. A master performer and schemer, a man who casually weighs up unimaginable moral odds and does mind boggling calculations in the span of a second, all while having a smile and a joke and tottering along? He will always be Who.

That was over 30+ years ago and RTD is fucking hack.
What's your point?

>being this in denial

Literally three instances in the entire 50 years of the show and that's proof? They're simple production mistakes. If they say "Basil" two more times they're going to change the name of the show to Doctor Basil.

>Literally three
Can you not count m8?

Chill out muppets, the 'he's called Doctor Who!' thing is just an advanced way of baiting people silly enough to think canon exists.

The guy was talking about why the show was called what it was. What RTD was doing has nothing to do with the shows creation.

We're not talking meta-fictionally, the credits are irrelevant.

By the way, I don't personally have a problem with people referring to the character as Dr. Who. People have always done that, and they always will. But it's obviously not his name in-universe.

>But it's obviously not his name in-universe.
But it is.

>But it's obviously not his name in-universe.
Are we in universe? No. Then his name is Doctor fucking Who you twat.

That doesn't even begin to make sense but ok.

The creators of the show named him Dr. Who for us, they can call him whatever they want in the show but his name is Dr. Who so we can call him Dr. Who (or Doctor Who if you're slightly less autistic than the fucks that demand he be called the Doctor).

what are you saying to me

I'm saying his name is Dr. Who.

okay

>it's obviously not his name in-universe.
Why?

>typical northern lass

>Are we in universe? No. Then his name is Doctor fucking Who you twat.
Despite not being "in universe" yourself, you might very easily want to talk about the circumstances of that fictional universe. And if one of those circumstances is "the Doctor does not go by 'Doctor Who' in any interpretation of this universe televised in the last forty years", then it's something you might find yourself wanting to clarify.
Let's have nuance, yeah? You can call him Doctor Who yourself AND acknowledge that he has a different, unknown name in the current version of the show.

You're so eager to shout at people who autistically demand he be called "the Doctor" - even when they aren't fucking present! Notice stated they didn't mind! - that you've just lapped around to a different end of the spectrum.

>replying

There's no evidence that his in-universe name isn't Dr. Who and the character himself has hinted several times that it is.

dead /who/

TEGAN: My aunt's waiting in the car to take me to the airport.
DOCTOR: Your aunt? Woman in the white hat, red sports car?
TEGAN: You've seen her?
DOCTOR: Well, a little of her.

The Doctor just made a pun about the fact that Tegan's aunt was killed and shrunk by the Master. What the phuck?

It was his last season and he knew he could get away with it

Bok

this was a shit season

Hard not to see Adric as a self-insert character, with the whole "boy genius" motif.

who cares he goes by John Smith

reminder

what's the burger from?

Pretty good, probably the best of the season. Good directing and some neat plot twists along the way.

Though I gotta say, I don't like the way this and most other sci fi shows tend to get the concept evolution completely fucked up. It's not normally a big deal for Doctor Who to have crappy science, but the theory of evolution is still controversial enough in the general public that I think it's something that people should try to avoid misrepresenting on tv, especially for kids. It's less of a problem in the UK than in the US though.

jimmy neutron

I liked season 18 in general. It was nice that they started making Dr Who again and not the Tom Baker Comedy Half Hour.

I think what he means is that often the OP gets ignored. I don't think there was any real discussion of Meglos in the last thread. It mostly seemed to be about how shit Bad Wolf was.

>the theory of evolution is still controversial enough in the general public
Maybe in America.

Adric is nowhere near as bad as you would expect, judging from fan opinion.

He gets worse over time. By the time you get to the Davison era he's pretty fucking annoying.

I've seen all of his episodes. There are times when he is annoying but mostly he seems like a normal companion. The hate is really overblown.

Personally I find him almost unbearably annoying at times but each to their own. Tegan and Nyssa were great though.

This desu, he's not the best companion ever but I never understood the extreme Adric hate. I think he and Baker actually had some pretty good chemistry.

The only times that even come to mind is where he sided with the villain in Four to Doomsday and when he said snotty "girls suck!" stuff. I can definitely see why you'd dislike him, and I'd give anybody that considers him their favourite a very funny look, but for the most part he's just sort of there. I find Rose and River more grating. But maybe that's because they're actually beloved by fans, despite being annoying characters, so I'm kicking back a little harder than I would've.

But yeah. I just remember it being a bit surprising when I finally got up to his episodes, after seeing people constantly saying how they HATE him and he was AWFUL. But I felt the same sort of underwhelming surprise when I got up to horrible episodes like Time and the Rani. The hate-hype was too strong.

>Goddard was K-9
>Cindy was Rose
>Jimmy and Ten had the same stupid hair
>Carl and Sheen were Jackie and Mickey
>Those egg guys were the Daleks
>Ultraguy was Captain Jack
>Hugh's love of pie = Colin's love of pie
>Beautiful Gorgeous was River
>Planet Sheen was the too sexy spin-off that nobody accepted
>"Hi, I'm Paul!" = Allusion to Paul McGann

Reminder Full Circle is basically The Mutants.

>Ultralord is Captain Jack
>not Nick Dean

Diner TARDIS annoys me a lot. Outside it sounding like such a "meme" thing to do, It just peeves me because Police Box is small and a lot easier to blend in to places, rather than a fucking Diner suddenly appearing in a place.

>a "meme" thing to do,
What?

I'm assuming it's supposed to have a working chameleon circuit.

Think of all the places it can't go to because it is too big.
You've now applied more thought to it than Moffat.

But they can change it back.
You've now applied more thought to it than user.

No, they said it was stuck as a diner, you fucking sanctimonious cunt.

ASHILDR: I don't think I've got the Chameleon circuit working. The outer shell might be stuck as an American Diner.

that's ok, they're hack fraud timetravellers anyway.
So /who/ is older, Boe/Harkness or Me?

>So /who/ is older, Boe/Harkness or Me?
Yo mama

Meme lived until the end of the universe.
Though Jack travelled in time a lot, so he might still be older.

tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Meme

>it's a 'jesus symbolism used to present the doctor' episode