Why haven't there been any real rock stars since Kurt Cobain died?

Why haven't there been any real rock stars since Kurt Cobain died?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hWNjQD7FNXQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Real talk, probably the last big bang in rock as far as the main world views it is Radiohead. But they were/are defiitely a different embodiment than Kurt/Nirvana represented.

>he doesn't know about Josh Homme

Social media culture doesn't suit the mysterious, only the explicit attention whores. Without such an open society bullshit stories and a sense of mystery would naturally build but now to get attention you need to plaster yourself everywhere

nobody knows who he is, and nobody cares what he says or does. not a rockstar.

wrong

wrong

who the fuck is this fruitcake?

/thread

>Kurt Cobain
>real rock star
LMAO

hello newfag

Gallagher bros
Jack White

kurt was in the biggest band in the world and was constantly in the media. everyone knew him and saw his antics, and cared about what he had to say.

and let me ask once again, who is the fruitcake?

Dave Grohl

>kurt was in the biggest band in the world and was constantly in the media. everyone knew him and saw his antics, and cared about what he had to say.
if fame is the metric we're using rather than authenticity and talent then 21 pilots are "real rockstars"

>and let me ask once again, who is the fruitcake?
hello newfag

More like furrycake

>rather than authenticity and talent
Since when is that the metric for rock stars in general?

so like i said, if this is just based on fame then you've got 21 pilots

>if this is just based on fame
Since when is that the metric for rock stars in general?

He's called Google I. Magesearch

no one who shoot up heroin has money for gear.

that was the metric you brought up a few posts ago? i'm not really sure what else you want. you said:
>kurt was in the biggest band in the world and was constantly in the media. everyone knew him and saw his antics, and cared about what he had to say.

why don't you tell us what metric you're using, and we'll tell you if recent "rock stars"

>that was the metric you brought up a few posts ago?
Quote me where I did.
Rock stars have to exude a certain type of personality. It's definitely a stereotype. The whole Jim Morrison/Mick Jagger/Steven Tyler bullshit. It's a dying breed.

the difference is nobody gives a fuck about what 21 pilots say or do. they are boring tween popstars, not rock stars. nirvana spoke to a generation. 21 pilots speak to nobody.

i don't even like nirvana that much, but saying kurt cobain wasn't a rock star is false.

this

Bad taste senpai

i did in the second part of that post you gigantic retard? unless this is one of those "ha i'm not that guy even though i'm replying like i am and there's no way for you to know otherwise!" things.

Show me which post.

It's not taste, it's fact. Ask any random guy on the street who Josh Homme is and they'll have no idea. Kurt Cobain is a household name.

>they are boring tween popstars
and kurt wasn't? he took a popular style/sound/brand, watered down to be MTV and radio friendly, and became a top 40 pop star who spoke to moody teens.

>took a popular style/sound/brand, watered down to be MTV and radio friendly, and became a top 40 pop star
youtube.com/watch?v=hWNjQD7FNXQ

what the fuck is happening?

what else do i need to do here, you're losing me

I'm not that guy who said it you driveling moron.

they weren't famous because of their random b-sides, they were famous because of they
>took a popular style/sound/brand, watered down to be MTV and radio friendly, and became a top 40 pop star

>>took a popular style/sound/brand
How was Grunge popular before Nirvana?

of course he wasn't. grunge was not a popular genre or style before nirvana came along. kurt cobain made rock, therefore he was a rock star, not a pop star. even then, do you see pop stars crashing stages, openly doing hard drugs, and giving no fucks in interviews? i think not.

that quote was clearly what i was replying (since, you know, i quoted it) so what the fuck are you responding to you gigantic fucking retard? i replied to someone's exact quote, you interjected with something irrelevant, and then you're like "where did i say that huh huh?" jesus christ

it wasn't. pearl jam released ten only a month before nirvana, so they're out. smashing pumpkins, alice in chains, and soundgarden came after nirvana.

it was most definitely not popular before nirvana came along.

grunge was a rapidly growing west coast underground genre and kurt jumped on and made it radio friendly for the masses. so he's kanye west basically.

True

>that quote was clearly what i was replying
Sounds like your mistake for assuming I was some other guy
>so what the fuck are you responding to you gigantic fucking retard?
I responded to with Please read the thread
>you interjected with something irrelevant
How is it irrelevant, other than it just proves you to be an idiot?
>grunge was a rapidly growing west coast underground genre
Which Nirvana was a part of.

Please try harder.

>authenticity and talent
Are you saying Nirvana was talentless and inauthentic?

"underground" you fucking idiot. underground. not popular, and without nirvana, grunge would've stayed underground.

even then, nirvana's first album came out in 1989, way before you could say they were hopping on any bandwagon.

my entire reply up there was questioning why that other user was using fame as the only metric for a rockstar. then you came in like "since when it that the only metric?!" which is exactly what i was responding to. read the fucking context faggot, you are so goddamn stupid.

yes

i'll concede that instead of popular it was a rapidly growing and inevitably popular genre that they watered down to be radio friendly similar to how kanye has done for underground hip hop trends

Oh wow are you also this guy You are a clueless idiot. Not sure what to tell you.
>yes
Why?
>i'll concede that instead of popular it was a rapidly growing and inevitably popular genre
Not in 1987 it wasn't.

>rock

i don't even like kanye as a musician. i think he has MAYBE one good album. there is no denying he started many trends on his own. his first two albums were his own sound, not taken from anyone. his fourth album was his own sound, and started the autotune wave. his fifth album was his own sound, and nobody has even tried to replicate what he did since then because it would be obvious they'd be biting him. and his sixth album took a lot of influence from death grips, but to say it was a growing underground trend is simply false.

stop hating on shit that you're clueless about.

>his fourth album was his own sound, and started the autotune wave.
What do you mean?

because rock is fucking dead and thank god it is
rock is such a white peoples genre its fucking disgusting

Because no one else in mainstream rock could appeal to popular tastes well enough to fill the void he left.

Jack White

808s was an innovative and influential album. he did not ride a bandwagon. he started the bandwagon.

>kurt cobain
>mystery
what did he meme by this?

>Why was this influential?
>Because it was influential
Circular logic aside, what do you mean by "autotune wave"?

the fact that autotune took off after his album. everyone and their mother started to use it in the rap scene after 2009.

grunge meant nothing to the usa at large before nirvana
you're trying too hard senpai

Back in the early 90's the internet was primitive and you had to rely on magazines and such to get information about people. Now Kurt certainly seems like an open book, but back then there was a bit of mystery due to the lack of information.

you mean the guy with a single memorable song? lmao

You mean intentional digital artifacts from singing off key while using autotune?
Hmmm, I've been hearing that on rap albums before that, like Little Wayne or whatever.

I first heard it as an effect on Cher's "Believe" in 1998.

>implying normies don't know Nirvana just for 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'

cher used it once, lil wayne used it once, t pain used it a bunch, but that's it. three or four people max. it took off after kanye. this really isn't debatable, you're trying though.

wtf kanye fans actually believe this?
autotune was already HUGE way before kanye

feel free to back that up with a shred of evidence.

and like i said before, i'm not a fan of his music. one good album, MAYBE.

>it took off after kanye. this really isn't debatable,
But you just said Lil Wayne and T Pain used it before Kanye. Hence, it took off after *them*, not Kanye.

And again, Cher and Kid Rock used it in the 90s, so rather,m it took off after they did it.

According to Chris Lee of the Los Angeles Times, "Believe" is "widely credited with injecting Auto-Tune's mechanical modulations into pop consciousness."[17] In the year 2000, the single "Naive Song" performed by Mirwais Ahmadzai from his album Production (Mirwais LP) is the first ever track using Auto-Tune on the complete vocals.[18][19] The use of Auto-Tune as a vocal effect was bolstered in the late 2000s by hip hop/R&B recording artist T-Pain who elaborated on the effect and made active use of Auto-Tune in his songs.[20] He cites new jack swing producer Teddy Riley and funk artist Roger Troutman's use of the Talk Box as inspirations for his own use of Auto-Tune.[17] T-Pain became so associated with Auto-Tune that he has an iPhone App named after him that simulates the effect, called "I Am T-Pain".[21] Auto-Tune has since been used in other hip hop/R&B artists' works, including Snoop Dogg's single "Sexual Eruption",[22] Lil Wayne's "Lollipop",[23] and Kanye West's album 808s & Heartbreak.[24]

I would say they're the opposite of rockstars

A few, but since 2000 it has been pop singers and rappers to pick up the torch and do the whole edgy totally-not-mainstream """counter culture""" marketing thing

autotune exists since the late 90s, and even back then it already made waves in the industry because of cher and daft punk. you know nothing

a couple of artists using it does not mean taking off, dummy. t pain used it in 2006, lil wayne in 2007, kanye in 2008, and everyone and their mother after 2008, because of kanye. fact.

>because of kanye. fact.
Prove it.

just did. a couple artists used it before him, and after him, everyone was using it.

>a couple artists used it before him
Which is why he didn't start it. They did.

See >T-Pain became so associated with Auto-Tune that he has an iPhone App named after him that simulates the effect, called "I Am T-Pain".[21]

The real question is why do you ant to give Kanye this credit so bad?

How can one be this fucking wrong

it means they were some of the first to use it, but it doesn't mean they were influential. kanye was influential.

because i like facts? i dislike idiots like you trying to argue against facts.

>because i like facts?
circular logic =/= facts

How about a citation?

i'm not going to bother linking shit for a troll. if you weren't so obvious, maybe i would.

google it yourself. "influence of 808s & heartbreak", "use of autotune", etc.

>google it yourself

You could argue that Marilyn Manson was the last actual rockstar, up until about 2001.

>alice in chains
Alice in Chains had a gold record before Nirvana and Man in the Box was getting regular MTV airplay before Nirvana blew up.

They were more glam metal than grunge

Holy shit, this is adorable.

They ditched their glam metal image before they released Facelift and the glam influence was barely noticeable on the album.

that's step one little guy. now what do you do next? you can do it!

Jesus. Grunge isn't even a genre, it was a term coined to group together a bunch of bands from the pacific northwest playing punk/metal influenced hard rock.

Wrong. They were touring with Poison, Van Halen and Extreme.

They ditched it for the Sap EP, which was released *after* Nevermind. That's when they were more "grunge".
>now what do you do next?
Read the first page of results that all unanimously claim that T Pain popularized it, and know you are an idiot.
Nah, there are definite musical similarities that can create at least a notable genre definer. Watch Hype or listen to Sub Pop 200.

alice in chains had a semi-successful album less than a year before nirvana blew up. we can agree on that.

the article says that t pain brought it to the table, which nobody is disagreeing with. kanye west used it and influenced everyone in hip hop.

>kanye west used it and influenced everyone in hip hop.
[citation needed]

Twenty One Pilots' music that gets played on the radio is completely different from their songs that don't get played on the radio. After being signed to a label, they lose creative control becuase the label pressures them to create songs that will get radio play. But, if you check out their earlier music, that's not at all how they are when they're not under the control of a label.

let's go through this again.

google...

He's not wrong though

Not a citation.

Try again.

i heard google is great for finding citations.

You better try it then, because you have yet to give a citation.

They're on fucking Fueled by Ramen. If the label was in control, they'd sound like fucking emo-pop like Paramore or My Chemical Romance.

low competion maybe low T maybe low motivation definitely low competition. since when did it become shitty to be a competitive male.

i'd link things for someone adding to discussion and not trolling.

OK.

Who AIC were touring with is irrelevant, Alice in Chains weren't playing glam music or portraying a glam image by 1990. They opened in 1990 for Iggy Pop, does that make them punk? You sound very young, like you weren't actually alive and listening to music at the time Alice in Chains and Nirvana got famous, and haven't done any research beyond Wikipedia articles.