twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

skrillex - bitch nigga edm

thats not EDM, thats just electronica

pic related is an excellent "EDM" album

Checkmate OP

/thread

>French house
>thats not EDM, thats just electronica

and french house isnt EDM. its 90s electronica. EDM is a term for mainstream electronic music.

House is electronic dance music
Daft punk is mainstream

house is EDM yes, but daft punk isnt. they havent adopted a mainstream style. they still make borderline-disco music to this day

then you should have meant:

>EDM is a term for CONTEMPORARY mainstream electronic music

i dont know what contemporary means, which is why. english is not my first language

you can't be serious

This is 90s electronica: youtube.com/watch?v=YN3PRP3XEvw
This is mainstream EDM: youtube.com/watch?v=yca6UsllwYs

no. both of those songs are 90s electronica

THIS is mainstream EDM: youtube.com/watch?v=YnwsMEabmSo

What the fuck are you talking about??

You just named two different types of EDM!!

EDM stands for Electronic Dance Music!!

That's what it is.

I hate this song so much.

its objectively bad yes, but can be dumb fun to listen to if youre in the mood. just like all this kind of generic popular EDM, it can be enjoyed if in the right mood

If you never listened to it, it's incredible.

moody good can do no wrong. hes a legend

Marshmello killed monstercat for me. God damn he made the label filled with cancerous people, and promoted creativity and guys like bustre and au5 and fractal, but this made it terrible. The fan base is filled with 12 year olds and people who think they're intellectualls. OWSLA, disciple, hospital, Ram, viper, MTA, and so many others do it better then monstercat now.

you are completely right on monstercat. not even back in 2010 when i got into EDM i liked it, but at least stuff was original. now its just cancer

ill be honest, im wearing my disciple shirt right now. great label. OWSLA would be perfect if they went back to their roots instead of all this weird hipster garbage theyve had going on for the past year

When he was in 16 bit, they made some of the most brutal songs in 2011 with dinosaurs and their machine gun remix. That song hotplate was originally a 16 bit track but Eric took over and made the rest of it. The garage he makes is insane, and that skrillex Id needs to be released. OWSLA is craving for its roots to come back

yeah that skrillex ID is massive. his MTGFYT mixes were all savage and i hope he releases everything in them ASAP

Disciple is bad ass now. They're stacked with guys like oolacile, phase one, a newer virtual riot, myro, and maybe bukez if he'll release again. Monstercat created that behemoth and they'll watch a demise any time soon.

You're completely right with owsla. Skrillex still makes it well, but it has to stop with the hipster BS. At least BA and ghastly and KTN are still there. But no more mark johns or star slinger. Give me the rusko and Nick Thayer and moody good instead of marshmello

It's like those snailedit mixes. We are still waiting for that skrillex collab and squishy riddim. MTGFYT is insane and that opening track in the third one could be in a OWSLA mix anytime soon. I know skrillex has talent to make his label top notch, but he has to make it like it was originally, and delete those Spanish comments

>electronic music
>mainstream

i support disciple taking over monstercat. i always loved virtual riot and im glad hes adopted this new riddim sound and is embracing it.

and yeah im glad barely alive is making waves on OWSLA now. glad to see actual dubstep on there again. ghastly is great and im happy hes on, and of course KTN, but i really wish he'd try to go back to his old roots too. occult classic was meh at best, it was the remix album that really did it for me.

and yeah FUCK mark johns/star slinger/hundred waters

just needs to ditch all the new shitty hipster artists hes got on and let alvin risk/KTN/porter robinson/dog blood/m machine start releasing again

>EDM
>album
For what purpose?

reddit tier trash you fucking pleb

Owsla is still good even looking back. Sub focus, rusko, marshmello(yuck), must die, snails, joyride, nghtmre, koan sound, and Dillon Francis all on the label just shows it's power. But they need to reunite Alvin risk, porter Robinson, and try and get netsky.

As for monstercat, it's one terrible label now with budding artists, but keeps losing it to get some big names guys like max styler or Nervo

anything can be enjoyed in the right mood, even listening to a cow taking a shit

must die, snails, nghtmre, koan sound are great

joyryde is fucking awesome, discovered him recently and have been loving everything. never was a fan of dillon francis

alvin risk barely produces anymore, which sucks. porter robinson is literally my favorite artist regardless of genre but i wasnt a fan of spitfire EP, hope his new album makes a debut on OWSLA tho

i honestly dont hear much from monstercat anymore. the only artist i actually enjoy who is on there and is BIG on there is pegboard nerds and i only like a few by them

Snails is doing that huge red rocks appearance this October. He should have a album out soon. Joyryde used to be 1/2 of let's be friends, but now he makes bass house and dubstep. He's insane, especially with this song
youtu.be/8bCkadgRskA

Alvin risk releasing a song is rare. But he makes some sick dubstep/House/Whatever.

Porter needs to come out of the shell, and has to make his original stuff combined with the worlds Shit.

Monstercat recently released a PBN EP, and most likely will be used in more minecraft videos. That label let go of Au5, but koven of all people joined it. How foolish are they

snails has a big album this year, will have his skrillex collab on it so thats something to look forward to this year. joyryde is awesome, but im not actually a fan of hot drum. this is my fav by him: soundcloud.com/enjoyryde/joyryde-fuel-tank

soundcloud.com/enjoyryde/the-box this is my second fav. both have been on repeat since i discovered them. hope he gets fully signed onto OWSLA

porter MIGHT have a new album this year. 3 years between spitfire and worlds, and now its 3 years after worlds and hes doing all this madeon shit, so know the fuck knows

yeah the issue with monstercat is their music is mostly copyright-free so 11 year olds use it in their minecraft intros. creates a snowball effect that just devolved into mindless nonsense

>electronica

>this thread

Snails should have it, and if it comes out, it must be on owsla. Skrillex should promote it to the max. To add on, I hope
For wavedash, barely alive, getter EP with nick colleti, joyryde, slander, and maybe phiso all being signed and releasing something.

Yeah, porter must have a album in store. We know teddy killerz, wilkinson, Camo and krooked, and sub focus should and will release an album this year. If he does make one, no madeon bullshit unless it's good, try to get daft punk on it, and have some good appearances by guests

You are completely right with monstercat. Savant has all his rights to say why he doesn't find mcat as a good label to grow on

dream OWSLA lineup would be wavedash, barely alive, skrillex, KTN, nghtmre, QUEST, getter, zomboy, porter robinson, virtual riot, excision, kayzo, gammer, ghastly, borgore, dubloadz, joyryde, k?d, crankdat, and valentino khan

i read online porter and madeon have nothing else they made besides shelter, and that was just a one-off. theyre back to their own respective studios. and because of unreleased porter songs like "she heals everything" its possible we might be getting a solo album this year

>savant
i love savant. dont listen to him much anymore but the dude is one of the best sound engineers in the game. way too underrated.

soundcloud.com/neanderthaule
btw check out my soundcloud. i dont "upload" anything but i have tons of mixtapes/mixes reposted + original. also my "likes" have tons of stuff you might like or havent heard yet

Remove borgore, add in brillz, and maybe slander. Other then that, it's a stud lineup. But excision has rottun, zomboy isn't going anywhere soon, and skrillex won't put dubloadz on possibly. I'd be more excited to see skrillex doing another mothership tour and milo and Otis releasing a fucking EP after all these years.

i only like the dubstep borgore does, not his rap shit. slander/brillz are good. excision does have rottun/firepower and zomboy has NSD but i hope he is at least in a compilation. dubloadz is fine on disciple but i wouldnt mind a few OWSLA singles.

as long as skrillex does said tour and makes a stop or two in new york ill go see him. and i dont even recall milo & otis EVER releasing an EP

Milo and Otis only had one, and that was when killagraham was a thing. Still think that owsla missed a big chance with getting OK on there, and letting go of koan. Also, mothership tour should happen again, and another red rocks round. Also, id kill for a lego version of that thing he used for the tour. Looked so alien like and epic

still surprised skrillex dragged milo & otis/killagraham onto his recess album. seems really random for his debut fucking album. youd think he would have more mainstream names on it.

i mean if skrillex is going to be at mysteryland again this year im going to see him with a friend of mine since he was here last year. he tours a lot but sticks to big festivals which sucks. havent seen him live yet but i must. same with porter but ive actually seen porter live, i just need to again

Recess wasn't too bad, but I would have expected Kanye or Zedd or huge fucking names, but it was solid.

I watched some of the live events he did and they're incredible. He mixes in the songs so well, and gets the crowd going in that one performance in red rocks

the biggest names on that album were the k-pop artists. i watch skrillex live whenever he does shows and someone happens to record the whole thing. im glad to see he still plays dubstep/riddim, gives me hope he'll stop making rap songs and start making bangers again

He made waiting, which was close to being dubstep. He's in a phase right now. I think he's going to return, but the fan base is filled with 12 year olds still, and has too many fucking Spanish commenters on there. I think after the all is fair in brostep fiasco, he didn't want to do another one of those incidents

waiting was whatever. not a fan of that kind of music so i didnt care much for it. and i hope this "phase" fucks off soon. he used to be my favorite artist, but after all this rap shit and when i discovered porter's worlds album he just dipped right off the scale.

and he will ALWAYS have spanish commenters on his shit because EDM is extremely popular amongst that crowd. any big EDM star's youtube comments are 90% spanish, same with their facebook posts.

i loved all is fair in love and brostep, that and ease my mind were my 2 faves off that album

Waiting felt okay, but not good enough. He has to return because those collabs with moody good and snails show that he still makes it, but he needs to come back with the original dubs.

You're right about the Spanish stuff. What's worse is that I took French over Spanish and had no choice, so I'm fucked over.

If anything, I'd kill for a phiso/skrillex song. Brutal as fuck

waiting WAS a step in the right direction. its his most recent release i believe, so maybe hes slowly coming out of this spell. when these moody good/snails collabs come out, i hope things will change.

my dream skrillex collab would be with getter, honestly. all the live rips of their slam dunk remix made it sound like an absolute banger. maybe skrillex x porter would be interesting too

Owsla should do a good compilation mix this year, and avoid the mess like last time. It should have some ID's, maybe some kayzo, DnB, Valentino Kahn, and a skrillex remix or song that isn't some rap or trap bullshit. Other then that, the label is slowly repairing itself

A collab I'd kill for is probably phiso and virtual riot, or KTN and bassnectar

lel

OWSLA does a big compilation every year. last year's WWB was the best theyve done so far so id love to see what theyve got in store this year.

id love to see kayzo make a proper introduction into OWSLA, since hes top 5 favs right now for me. valentino khan will always be one of my favs.

phiso and VR would be crazy, would say KTN x VR but they already remixed without a trace on ALT CLASSIC. maybe even have VR remix jotaro

Jotaro is still a beast on its own. So god damn brutal, but perish song takes the fucking cake. You could even play a joke remix from phiso and it's so damn good.

Kayzo should definitely be on owsla, and not on barong like wiwek was. His hardcore is insane. But he should take tips from Darren styles and tweek it out.

As for other labels, can't wait for that huge hospital 21 album.

jotaro by phiso, like a bitch extended mix by zomboy, and bang by wavedash were the 3 best dubstep songs of 2016, no doubt in my mind.

yeah having kayzo on barong is weird af. all of kayzos new shit has been dubstep or bouncy hardcore, which is OWSLA worthy. hell, fucking wiwek is on OWSLA and he makes jungle. darren styles has been on OWSLA once and NEST HQ more than once, wouldnt mind him and gammer officially making a duo and putting out stuff on OWSLA

underrated

If nest would be really smart, put quix and droeloe on owsla, and try to get kayzo a nest HQ debut. They seem to fit in with what owsla would want.

My top 3 best dubstep songs for last year were Phiso-Jotaro, Datsik-Let em know, and KTN-Without a trace remix. All brutal fucking songs that weren't boring in the slightest. Would have put borg but it wasn't perfect

quix does need a proper signing, his collab with boombox cartel destroys any venue

yeah KTN/VRs remix of without a trace was insane. if we are going with remixes, that, all in my head darren styles and gammer remix, and sad machine k?d remix

Don't forget the ephwurd and boombox cartel remixes of occult classic. Both were amazing. Also, supernatural is a hit with the second drop, but the first is still better just by its roughness.

Remixes last year were good, but the greys-U(Ganja white night remix), Barely alive-Elephant(Funtcase remix), and the without a trace remix were some of the best of they year.

When you say EDM, do you mean "EDM" as in like Chainsmokers or electronic dance music in general, encompassing house, techno, electro, jungle, etc. etc. (which is more rooted around single releases than albums)?

lol tru

The regular stuff, and not the chainsmokers terrible stuff. I hope they get into big issues in the future. No talent other then "we can make annoying Shit somehow enjoyable"

Then don't say "EDM", just say dance music. EDM is indicative of bro-tier festival garbage.

both drops of supernatural bang live. nghtmre dropped the first at his electric zoo set and borgore the second, both were great.

also the QUEST remix of killa is worth mentioning. also the darren styles and gammer remix of born again by kayzo. 2016 was a great year for EDM overall and i hope 2017 is able to top it

>not enjoying Roses or Closer

lmao what a pleb

I bet you think Skrillex is dubstep

2017 should just by how many legends are either returning or making new music, like bad company or pendulum(NOT ANOTHER LIVE SET, PLEASE) and the albums that have been 4 years or more in the making. Just give me a phiso black label release because that will be incredible

Closer felt terrible and was annoying to listen to, and I listen to some noisy dubstep. At least that had some sense and soul, unlike closer

hopefully a zomboy neon grave remix EP, new porter album, new skrillex EP/album, phiso release, virtual riot EP, getter album/EP, literally so many things to look forward to

and anything chainsmokers is bad. the only thing decent "by" them are the dont let me down remixes

>I bet you think Skrillex is dubstep
nope. Skrillex is brostep, trap, complextro and moombahcore mostly

You forgot the botnek remix of selfie, which slightly salvaged the song. As for hopes, it gets too high. Just give me more k?d, datsik, classic dubstep, maybe more inspired by 90's DnB. I don't know. At least urbandawn guy it again with a remix of hanging rock

>Closer felt terrible and was annoying to listen to
still it's a catchy and well-produced pop song

botnek is killing it, love their sound design. i mean its only january 14th and we already have a great EP from QUEST and a new k?d song. really cant wait for the rest of the year. im mostly concerned about what my local festivals are gonna get headlined, since my area of new york is kinda desolate and i dont have a lot of options in terms of festivals

>well produced
>pop song
>by the chainsmokers

There's too much wrong with this sentence. user, listen to some noisia and compare the sound design to closer.

The only issue with them is how short their songs are. I'm not going to buy a song that's just a minute thirty where I can listen to it for free on SoundCloud and it's a extended mix as well. Plus they're remixes feel a bit off, like the Ocho cinco remix

As for festivals, I'm set.

when you say "who", who do you mean?

the ocho cinco remixes were awful. they all sounded the same. i only really liked the wavedash and kayzo ones

for festivals, i only have electric zoo and mysteryland to look forward to since all the other ones are too far away

Same. Those remixes felt terrible. And way too expensive as well. They should have cut it to just 5, put the rest on SoundCloud for free, and let go of it. Plus the cover looked like Shit.

When I said who, I mean that I have lots of big names coming to where I live. Im near EDC NYC, so I'm sorta lucky

>listen to some noisia and compare the sound design to closer
Sound design is not the main requirement for pop music. It just has to be listenable, not outstanding or innovative. Catchiness is the most important part.

You are right on that, but the ear worm effect for closer is nauseating unlike one more time or around the world.

i just hope they will release those two collabs with snails one day

i only bothered downloading the kayzo one. the wavedash one is fun i guess but sounded like only 1 afternoon was spent on it

>EDC NYC
they have an EDC in NYC? wtf? this is news to me. i thought electric zoo was the only big EDM festival in NYC

Wavedash probably just dicked around with it and said "let's use our sound and keep spamming ocho as many times. The only other tolerable one was the herobust, and that felt bad. Nothing tops the lose ya love one after the first drop

There is a edc over here in NYC held at citi field. Look it up

ur mum xD

kek it was just "ocho" spammed for 3 minutes. i can only see the second drop being used live just as a switchup.

and fuck after im done watching anime im gonna look that shit up, i seriously thought there was only EDC las vegas and EDC orlando

Edc is huge. They do other shows, and citi field isn't too bad. The Mets usually go on road trips whenever it happens. Still think that it needs more DnB and better people.

Wavedash did have a funny remix, but that Eiffel 65 phiso remix is still one I'd see someone messing around with on a set.

i just looked it up and apparently EDC NYC is cancelled for 2017. no idea why.

Mets schedule most likely, or that deblasio is being a faggot again. This city still had chodegang show up in Webster hall. Just give us daft punk alive 2017 in Central Park, and I'd kill for it

real shame i would have loved to go. at least i still have electric zoo

i would have gone to see chodegang at webster but im not 19, only 18. and webster are jews and wont let anyone under 19 go in

Same here. Never got it except for the alcohol part, but I don't do that at all. Then there's all that drugs bullcrap and I guess that's why it's 19+.

>weird hipster BS

As someone just getting back into electronic music, what do you guys mean?

listen to this: youtube.com/watch?v=fLdzyKI6UXQ

then this: youtube.com/watch?v=kGoDNvVWmfk

then tell me which one is the "weird hipster BS"

>drugs
every venue/concert/festival is full of drugs. i went to electric zoo last year alone and still managed to get offered and smoked tons of weed with people i didnt know. just seems fucking off to me

I'm not getting back into it, but I know that the mess is everywhere. The only thing I sorta like is the halftime songs made by guys like alix Perez

First one, because KTN makes his stuff authentic and pretty heavy and melodic.

I haven't really gone to one yet because of time. Honestly it can be good. I'm just waiting for a good time to get a show

I don't know, the first is pretty dope, the second is just giving me generic "trap/dubstep banger" vibes but that's never really been a sound I've been into.

kill the noise part 1 is literally my number 1 favorite dubstep song ever. its so melodic yet so heavy at the same time, truly is fucking masterful.

you need to listen to all 7 minutes. its long but god damn its a literal 10/10

My favorite dubstep song is a tie between Au5-Snowblind and Barely alive-Binary (BA virtual riot remix) they're both insane but have the right amount of energy put into them.

the BA and VR remix of binary is kickass, especially that second drop. but honestly, every single song ive ever considered to be my favorite of any genre or artist is always super melodic

fav getter song: forget it
fav skrillex song: with you friends
fav KTN song: kill the noise part 1
fav virtual riot song: in my head
fav porter robinson song: sad machine

it just always happens to be a super emotional or melodic song even if its from a known heavy producer

Melodic stuff is always better, but when you want brutal, it's on.

most of the time i listen to EDM its brutal shit, but every now and then ill throw on all of porter's live edits of worlds, listen to getters planet neutral EP, listen to skrillex's leaving EP, or any of that kind of shit