New York in Movies and TV

From around the late 70's to the late 90's or so, New York city was so heavily used in TV shows and movies that a lot of the time it was almost a 'character' itself.
But I can't really think of many recent examples where NYC was important to a movie or shows feel as it used to be.
Why is that Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalinterest.org/feature/trump-vs-hillary-nationalism-vs-globalism-2016-16041
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Broad City features actual new york locations. Pretty sure they do the same in girls but i've never watched it.

NYC became a place for the wealthy and ground zero of gentrification. It lost it's soul.

9/11

9/11 happened

Shame and Cloverfield are the only recent ones that come to mind.

what's the modern day Greenwich Village? Williamsburg?

For movies theres also TMNT. And maybe Ghostbusters...

Best recent NYC-core

It also lost a bunch of daily stabbings and the Bronx stopped being on fire.

But I guess there's no "soul" anymore, so what a shame.

>there's no "soul" anymore
Hmmm that might be it.
All those 80's and 90's movies and shows that were set in New York really had this whole 'feel', that was unique to the New York setting.
A lot of things these days set in New York could be set in any other big city and there'd be no difference.

I'm not sure bc NYC was such a unique place that could only exist in America. If I had to guess, I would say similar circumstances exist in up and coming South American countries, but I doubt anywhere has the same diversity component.

desu Bushwick is the next hip place

Pre-Giuliani NYC was the cold, rough, dirty, seedy, sketchy setting whose realities you could trust. It was a rough place that built character and therefore made for a good setting for stories.

Post-Giuliani NYC is a warm, safe, cleaned up, crown jewel of a dog and point show that you instinctively dislike. Too full of itself. Too full of shit and delusion. It's a safe space. A false utopia. Boring.

NIGGA

WE QUEENS COUNTY NOW

FUCK KINGS COUNTY

>TFW WE ROCKAWAY BEACH THIS WEEKEND BRO

Do you even fucking live there?
>wahhh it's too safe
Bitch I'd rather not get shot walking home from work thank you very much. You can keep your "good old days" version if you would spend a night alone wandering the South Bronx in the 70s. Then you can complain about "safe spaces".

He's talking about atmosphere, not "safest places to live"

You must not watch a lot of modern TV or movies set in NYC.

What board do you think you are posting on?

Newark

Fellow Technite?

2010 :(

Exactly. Fuck no I would not want to live in pre-G NYC. The very qualities that made it terrible in real life were what made it interesting in film and television though.

>living in a meme conurbation

>People here complains about niggers all the time
>But muh city has lost it's soul becuz I don't get raped and killed at 3 pm in the subway
Go to detroit if you want your pre gentrification experience.

>Soul

As someone who actually spent some time in NYC in the 80s and early 90s, I'll take hipster homosexuals and Wall Street Jews over your "soul" any day.

Literally one of my last memories of NYC during that time was some nigger trying to sell me drugs in the middle of Times Square.

>I'll take hipster homosexuals
I bet you will

gentrified neighborhoods are every bit the cancer cancer gang infested neighborhoods are, just with fewer deaths.

You have never been lived a shitty neighborhood if you think that.

This is the equivalent of saying reddit is better than Sup Forums bc the people are nicer and there are more rules. kys

>Comparing a website where the worst thing you that could happen it's seeing some gore or cp to living in a dangerous neighborhood
Go back when you're 18

Ya I was equating Sup Forums with living in a dangerous neighborhood, not criticizing the logic of your argument. again kys faggot

twin towers were asthtetic af, part of the city and aura died that day and it hasn't been the same.

nationalinterest.org/feature/trump-vs-hillary-nationalism-vs-globalism-2016-16041

>and the Bronx stopped being on fire
Kek

You're dumb

What is the best New York movie and why is it Do the right thing?

>inb4 spike lee

Gossip Girl comes to mind

>I'll take hipster homosexuals and Wall Street Jews
can't get any lower than that, might as well kill yourself

spelt goodfellas wrong m8

That's top 3 m8. I liked New York more in Do the right thing though

chicago is the new (and rightful) important city

>chimpcago
lel

filming in New York is too costly

it's easier to film in Vancouver or a green screen.

>new york was never infested with violent blacks

ok retard

only people who haven't lived in NY during the 70s and 80s miss the "soul" you faggot

>implying rudy is absolutely based

Not saying it wasn't, but Chimpcago is becoming Detroit 2.0 (with an assorted number of slavs).

queens is shit. brooklyn best borough

*isn't

What gets me are those movies set in NY and cleearly filmed somwhere else. Im from NY and it can be jarring and take you out of the movie. Incredible Hulk, Punisher WZ are two that come to mind right now.

As for how the city has changed. It was bad with Dinkins, better with Rudy, too pacified now. But the cleaning up of times square and 47th st started from when Rudy was there. I remember hanging out in my friend's bar in Brooklyn when the first hipsters started popping up.

Tfw you live in Woodhaven Queens, the of the last, old school Irish/Italian/German areas left.

Only faggots who are butthurt I said NY lost it's soul don't realize this thread is about why films set in NYC feel different than they used to.

user you said exactly what I was thinking. NYC was the most obvious example but cities generally were portrayed as rough, dangerous, gloomy places in 70/80/90's cinema, particularly if the story took place in the future. I'd bet the main reason is because in America and a lot of other Western states, violent urban crime began to increase in 60's and peaked in the late 80's to mid 90's. Movies portrayed (and exaggerated) this, in the case of movies set in the future plots assumed that the trend would continue. As a matter of fact, respectable sociologists predicted that in the early 21st century major cities would be borderline war zones.
Obviously the violent crime trend broadly reversed and cities now as much safer, happier, comfortable places to live than they once were, but still:
>TFW no near-future dystopian NYC complete with crack-gangs having full scale street wars in Manhattan, muggers in Central Park and a 50% murder conviction rate.

You must not be following the migrant crisis. You'll get your street wars sooner than you think.

Aaw thanks user, dreams can come true!

Kek, you just described my ethnicity. Yeah queens sucks, Long Island is best New York.