I've been obsessed with the Cocteau Twins for the past week (have been listening to pic related for years but never dug...

I've been obsessed with the Cocteau Twins for the past week (have been listening to pic related for years but never dug deeper til now), but I'm starting to feel a little burnt out on them. That being said, I'm having trouble finding anything else that scratches that "bliss out" itch. Best alternative I've found is Spiritualized, particularly Lazer Guided Melodies. Any recs for music to give me a psychedelic, bliss out, or heavenly feeling?

In the meantime Slowdive is keeping me busy but I'm looking for something a little more upbeat...

Check out any shoegaze chart. I recommend Lilys.

Have you tried shoegaze or other dream pop albums in general my dude?

I've heard a lot of these albums and I love most of the ones I've heard, but I'm just looking for like heavenly stuff right now, too much of shoegaze is melancholy. Thanks for the pic tho I'll defo check out what I haven't heard on there.

Will definitely check them out, heard of em but never actually listened

Beach House might be up your alley. Bloom and Teen Dream are my favs by them. MBV's Loveless obviously too, if you haven't already heard it. To Here Knows When is the "stargate sequence" of music, imo.

>stargate sequence of music

I actually kinda agree with this

Oh yeah should've mentioned them in the OP, I started listening to Cocteau again due to my recent binging of Beach House. I'll throw in my controversial opinion that Depression Cherry is their best album. Accurate ass rec tho, and perf description of To Here Knows When.

I'm kinda looking to dig deeper and find something less obvious, but maybe Cocteau Twins are the end all be all

not him but im a huge ct fan and always thought beach house was a watered down version.i like some songs they made but never had any of their albums stuck in my head for weeks like treasure is.

loveliescrushing is pretty cool, mazzy star maybe

They're the best fucking band.

Weird to hear you saying you're a little burnt out, though, OP. They usually tend to inspire an almost religious-like devotion in people, once you've gotten into them.

In all honestly, there's a lot of great dreamy stuff out there but you're not going to find anything that quite has the profundity of Cocteau Twins. Definitely not any of the second or third-tier "shoegaze" or "dreampop" bands.

As far as the better older dreamy bands, it's MBV, Slowdive, Spacemen 3, Galaxie 500, Spiritualized, AR Kane, Main, Loop, Julee Cruise.

You can start getting into ambient and drone, if you haven't yet. Or all that kind of psychedelic stuff that grew out of that and noise in the recent decade.

Another direction is to look for "dream pop" in stuff that's not dream pop. Like Swedish pop singer Virna Lindt, or Chris & Cosey, or a lot of that gooey, lethargic yet peppy sounding 50s music, or a lot of 80s European disco.

Obviously Lee Hazelwood, Suicide, Brian Eno, Kate Bush, Linda Perhacs, The Chameleons, and definitely ambient house / early Aphex Twin.

Try some of the dreampop-ier end of early twee / Sarah Records-type stuff like Northern Picture Library too.

this and i hate to mention her but grimes visions is in that realm also

Boatds of canada. Start with Campfire Headphase

Only reason I'm burnt out on them is that I've been listening to them all day haha. Fully plan on listening to more of them tomorrow and the day after. Will defo check out those recs, haven't listened to AR Kane, Main, Loop, or most of the others you rec'd.

You're right as fuck, need to give that album another listen

Been there done that, incredible album, still need to check out Geogaddi tho

Beach House is more formulaic, sure, but I think they're more about the overall vibe than the melody or making great tracks.
Thanks for this post

Listening to Eccsame right now and feeling very fulfilled

I love you Sup Forums

desu I always thought it was

>Plebeian
Teen Dream

>Contrarian
Depression Cherry

>Patrician
Thank Your Lucky Stars

Depression Cherry seems like their most consistently great album to my ears, but TYLS is good too. My ranking is probably something like DC > Bloom = TYLS > TD = Devotion
haven't heard s/t

Beach House are alright but compared to Cocteau Twins they're so light-weight they almost don't deserved to be mentioned at all.

Ultimately, they're just a pretty generic indie band with a little bit of pretty dreaminess superficially added.

Spread Your Wings by Spiritualized (off Pure Phase).

Thank you for this

I've never gotten HOLV, I listened to some songs and they were okay but the album was forgettable, I loved Head Over Heels though and Treasure and Garlands were pretty alright.