Math rock + post rock

i'm a post rock fag. recently i found unwound and don caballero, i instantly liked those. are there other essential math rock based post rock or post rock based math rock or whatever those two combined bands or records?

Other urls found in this thread:

machomuchacho.bandcamp.com/album/eme-eme-ep
youtube.com/watch?v=VJjfOpdkQ-U
youtube.com/watch?v=WYlpqsfSY-4
youtube.com/watch?v=vI5gB4PT_io
youtube.com/watch?v=1KS_NrEP0cY
youtube.com/watch?v=yomowCF5icY
youtube.com/watch?v=K6LKlG5wxx0
youtube.com/watch?v=FH4BcWevYmM
youtube.com/watch?v=DaB8j-PMMuM
youtube.com/watch?v=k-T63_DK8hc
youtube.com/watch?v=XtDK2lkK5Aw
youtube.com/watch?v=1lhvX-Ba5kc
youtube.com/watch?v=3OYrpbfAYks
youtube.com/watch?v=QNuM4mZFcTg&ab_channel=Starfuckers
youtube.com/watch?v=KMR0QG4MuIA
youtube.com/watch?v=b37rXf5jVrc
youtube.com/watch?v=XGOhzKvzfrI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not an essential, but reccing the fuck out of this
machomuchacho.bandcamp.com/album/eme-eme-ep
Some really good math rock with relaxing vibes

Battles

Fuck slint.

But Tweez is an excellent album.
toe is good shit, but why post it sideways?

polvo

But,

>i'm a post-rock fag
how do you deal with the unending amount of pure cancer that is third wave? I'm a metalfag and I already hate its influence.

i don't think third wave post rock is that cancerous but its style's sure fucking cancerous to metal music

Storm and Stress, which is Ian Williams of Don Caballero removing what little structure Don Cab had and making it more hectic.

youtube.com/watch?v=VJjfOpdkQ-U

Inindependance by a Minor Forest, which is Slint inspired. Very good record, more mathy that Spiderland is and more rock-y as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=WYlpqsfSY-4

Gastr del Sol, features John McEntire, David Grubbs and Bundy K. Brown in the first incarnation, and added Jim O'Rourke in their second. First record has a very distinct Louisville sound, so if you're a fan of Spiderland, check it out. Second album, Crookt, Crackt, and Fly is more experimental, but still has the math-y edge to it. Also the EP, Mirror Repair features one of their iconic math rock songs.
youtube.com/watch?v=vI5gB4PT_io (if you dig this, def. check out the rest)

I never really considered Battles post-rock. Maybe their first record, although that still felt more like math rock than, say, Don Caballero which had a much clearer post-rock influence.

I hear so much about 3rd wave, but when I think of post-rock in terms of waves, it doesn't really make sense. What is 3rd wave exactly? When I think of post-rock released during the mid 2000s, I think of stuff like Radian, or Jaga Jazzist, which don't really fit the description of "3rd wave" at all

bump

anything by pretend
youtube.com/watch?v=1KS_NrEP0cY

>isn't that cancerous
Toe is being posted as a non cancerous album, I'd say it's even more cancerous than anticipated.
I think anything post-rock with generic chord progression, bland songwriting, and anything similar to explosions in the sky is 3rd wave style.

also related, what's some post-rock that's not like this? For the record, I think Mogwai and Toe are like this.

INXS

For interesting chord progressions, you can go the route of Tortoise, Gastr del Sol, Don Caballero, or Storm and Stress to name a few.

Tortoise:
youtube.com/watch?v=yomowCF5icY

Gastr del Sol:
youtube.com/watch?v=K6LKlG5wxx0

Don Caballero:
youtube.com/watch?v=FH4BcWevYmM

Storm and Stress:
youtube.com/watch?v=DaB8j-PMMuM

For groups with interesting song writing you can never go wrong with Slint, Moonshake, Lift to Experience, or Long Fin Killie

Slint:
youtube.com/watch?v=k-T63_DK8hc

Moonshake:
youtube.com/watch?v=XtDK2lkK5Aw

Lift to Experience:
youtube.com/watch?v=1lhvX-Ba5kc

Long Fin Killie:
youtube.com/watch?v=3OYrpbfAYks

And if you want something that's the complete polar opposite of what explosions in the sky then stuff like Starfuckers, Disco Inferno, Radian, or Ulan Bator would be a good choice.

Starfuckers:
youtube.com/watch?v=QNuM4mZFcTg&ab_channel=Starfuckers

Disco Inferno:
youtube.com/watch?v=KMR0QG4MuIA

Radian:
youtube.com/watch?v=b37rXf5jVrc

Ulan Bator:
youtube.com/watch?v=XGOhzKvzfrI

bump

I'll check these out, thanks.

Cryptooology is the only math rock album worth listening to
Slint is trash

how is toe cancerous?

What's the purpose of math rock? Is it all about technically complex applications of music theory?
What makes it different to prog?