There's no one creative enough today to adapt it. Maybe if HBO gave a bigass budget to Pizzolatto and Fukunaga. Maybe...

There's no one creative enough today to adapt it. Maybe if HBO gave a bigass budget to Pizzolatto and Fukunaga. Maybe. Or give it to the team of Chase, Weiner and Winter - The Sopranos showrunning reunion, but they're not into sci-fi.

Kubrick was the man for this kind of challenge, but he's long dead now. Sci-fi is not Lynch's thing. Ridley Scott made only 3 good movies. Spielberg made only 2, back in the 70s. Maybe someone from Japan or Korea? Idk... All I know is, no one from mainstream Hollywood is not even remotely suited for this humongous task.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6B8hGF5BkNU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert's_Dune
duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowskys-dune-uncovered/5
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>There's no one creative enough today to adapt it

Tim Burton?

With Johnny Depp as every character

Good. I hope no one ever tries to film this for any medium. Let them come up with new, novel and interesting ideas on their own.
Let someone surpass Dune rather than make a faithful but inferior adaptation.

Because it's not really filmable in modern fashion aka action movie in setting X. Combat and action make for a very small percentage of Dune.

>Anonymous 06/02/16(Thu)00:50:54 No.70338
whats going to be more disappointing, Wheel of Time or Dune tv adaption?

considering wheel of time source material I don't really have high hopes

I enjoyed Dune, but honestly there was no real ending to the first novel. After hundreds of pages of nothing it just says "oh by the way Paul outsmarted everyone and beat an interplanetary alliance." Then there was the sequel. "Haha, we're so brilliant. We will send some guy you thought was dead and completely distrusts us to become your assistant, and we will also send some random midget who will tell your new assistant to kill you." Fucking stupid. Didn't bother with the rest of the series. I guess the movie sucks. Oh and spoilers.

>wanting jodorowsky's dune
Please, knowing him it would be filled with philosophical bullshit and almost no plot

>muh plot
hey reddit

I don't see Kubrick being the right guy for Dune. He'd probably make it unrecognizable. I thought Lynch did a good job.

i enjoyed the lynch version, i've never read the books though.

i'm sure that even if the right decisions were made as far as director/writer/casting/music, etc. there would still be plenty of people upset with the adaptation soooo, it's probably best to just leave it be with the lynch adaptation.

I think bigger problem is Jodorowsky hadn't even READ the books. You'd get some artsy movie, but it would probably be a horrendous adaptation.

>muh bait

Dune thread?

OP we had a Dune thread this morning. I'm not in the mood.

Takashi Mikke for this or calligula movie
Calligula staring Shia la beef curtain and Sasha grey

I could direct it
2 movies and 150 million dollars is all I need

honestly at this point in time, you'd be forced to cgi the hell out of the movie if all you have is 150 million. it's more costly now to build actual sets and do practical effects, mainly because the people who can do it have dwindled in numbers, therefore making it even more costly to go practical. plus 150 million wouldn't get you a lot of marketing/promotion so you'd still be left with a movie not many would know about.

>Pizzolatto and Fukunaga
Not exactly the right feel for Dune.

I really want to see a Dune HBO series.

Keep posting threads of Dune so more know about it

This. Seeing everything CGI is a big no no.

You have to have miniatures and practicals.

Do not turn this into a Hobbit trilogy failure.

Just look at Duncan Jones. 160 million and his Warcraft human sets look like plastic

Hbo will do this series after GOT

With D&D as showrunners

Paul's basically Kelly C anyway.

Oh man what would D&D do? It cant be as bad as Lynch making the planet rain at the end randomly

>Paul's basically Kelly C anyway.

Fuck you.

In your heart you know it's true.

May your knife chip and shatter!

I would pay cash money to see the perfect adaptation of God Emperor of Dune. That book is near perfect.

I honestly don't think it can be adapted

Are you fucking kidding me, I could make a fucking great Dune adaptation and so could plenty of other people. Dune is a fantastic pillar in science fiction but it's not exceedingly complex or unfilmable in any way.

JJ Abrahams

>muh muslims

Stop spamming this shit Ahmed.

ey wot m8 id make a rite gud dune moveh starring me and my missus

Fuck no, don't forget Helena Bonham Carter as Jessica, Alia, Shani and Irulan

It wouldn't sell in todays market, people would see the harkonnen as 'mmerica and the Fremen as arabs. Unpatriotic films bomb hard.

It is narrative wise, it's a bildungsroman wrapped in political intrigue and family dramatics, set in a completely bizarre science fiction universe.

There's nothing like it. The symbolism and imagery alone distinguish it from many other works of science fiction, but the beauty of it is that it manages to hold it all together, if any one part of its narrative fails to deliver then the whole thing falls over thematically.

Its already been made twice dude

He should have said
>adapt it well

If you read the book, you'd realise the Fremen (muzzes) are psychotic and barely kept in check by Paul Atreides (until they declare jihad on the universe, basically)

Make the Harkonnens nazis.

>filled with philosophical bullshit and almost no plot
...so just like the books then.

Yeezus was kanye and jodorowskys attempt at dune.

>it's not exceedingly complex or unfilmable in any way.
Except that the entire story is told in internal monologue and dialogue about tangential discussions.

Dune would be a better stage adaptation than a cinematic one.

I don't want normies ruining Dune the way they did with ASOIAF

if Peter Jackson and Weta had 10 years with zero Hollywood involvement it could be adapted properly over 3 movies.

Hollywood wouldn't be able to stick with high sci-fi and allegory, and would reduce it to TFA tier with the Fremen being literal muslims.

>rich white male controlling noble desert savages
I MEAN COME ON PEOPLE IT'S ALMOST 2017

>psychedelics made me realize this guy is a hack

Am i the only who thinks this thing kinda looks like an uncut male penis

Why the fuck do you keep making this threads? Do you hope to force some meme on the marketers lurking? Millennial piece of shit

FUCK YOU, this should never be near a screen. Ever.

w whats a benny jessyrit? Ben and
Jerrys?
I agree tho fuck that

Fuck you.
Peter Jackson isn't smart enough to convey all the themes and ideas in Dune.
He is also incredibly self indulgent and needs producers willing to tell him to stop being shit. He has pretty much had total control since King Kong and since then, everything he has made has sucked.

Thats why you just have him as director. Hire other people to produce and write the script. Dune needs Jacksons autism for details though.

Del Toro, at least visually.

Pizzaman and Terrance Winter are over rated hacks.
Boardwalk Empire was trash that had no idea of what it wanted to be.

Refn.

It needs Richard Taylor, not PJ.

Richard Taylor is the sperglord.

>Maybe someone from Japan or Korea?

wtf

Directing a script by Bryan Fuller.

Not in the mood??

You should have a look at Jodorowsky's planned ending.

>2nd of June
>Almost 2017

Nolan could have done a halfway decent job (as far as Hollywood adaptations go).

Dune is basically Batman Begins, Inception, and Interstellar thrown in a blender, and Nolan has done a great job at making "action" films that don't actually have a whole lot of action in them.

Also, Nolan's post-TDK films have all had this weird, slightly sterile "off" feeling to them, which could fit beautifully into the Dune universe.

Just make it happen! youtube.com/watch?v=6B8hGF5BkNU

>new, novel and interesting ideas

Like another 100 capeshit flicks or Ghostbusters reboot.

i think the bigger problem was that Frank Herbert got to read Jodo's script, and he coughed behind his hand and allowed that ".. it was a little anti-catholic.. he basically did everything but horse-whip the Pope in it.."

you mean like this one?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert's_Dune

>Dune would be a better stage adaptation than a cinematic one.

is that script available online anywhere? i sort of want to see how bad it gets in a kind of masochistic put-your-hand-in-the-box kind of way.

Michael Mann could direct a Neuromancer film

The real question however OP is: how do we make Book of the New Sun?

Burton shits on everything he adapts turning it into his own Disney mall goth qurikiness
Like lynch he would be bored with the work and using it simply as a vehicle for his production designs

>why does it matter if I want to make a 7 hour movie if that's what I want to make?!
You can do whatever you want with your money
Other people however would expect a financial return

And his script totally changed everything

Lest face it he was heavily influenced by LSD and stuck in world that only made sense to him.
Studios were right to deny the project since he asked too much instead pulling once sequel at a time.

"From the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary we know that the film would have opened with a long continuous shot, starting from approaching the galaxy all the way through to the streets of the Emperor's golden planet.

The script however starts somewhat differently. It follows a ship through space through to the planet Kaitain at the centre of the galaxy, where it lands and Dog-Beings leave the ship, travel through a lifeless city, and enter the "Museum Of Man". Inside they find a giant robot on a crucifix. Pressing a button activates the robot, which projects, through its eyes, the history of humanity onto a screen - starting with the planet Earth exploding..."

anyone who claims to be a fan of the books should track jodo down and stick a crysknife up his ass.

Jackson turned LotR into a joke
No

Tarsem singh?

the only good thing that came from preproduction of this movie was introducing Giger to special effects team of Alien.

all the charm is in the world setting and atmosphere. herbert clearly had no idea how to push the plot, which is clear in the sequel.

nevertheless, i loved original Dune and hope to read something similar in the future.

No.

>book of the new sun films

You maniac

>herbert clearly had no idea how to push the plot,
tv once again demonstrating it doesn't know what its talking about
Dune has a quite involved and intricate plot, look at how Duke Leto is manoeuvred into a vulnerable position and the attack is made to appear perfectly legal

>herbert clearly had no idea how to push the plot, which is clear in the sequel.

saying "clearly" doesn't make it clear. how was it "clear" that Herbert had no idea to "push" the plot?

are you perhaps a fan of Jodorowsky's "Scene 20-22 : Leto in the Senate

In the script, the film, after the prologue, begins with Leto driving a vehicle containing dead Spice smugglers, into the Senate where Duncan Idaho, Gurney Halleck and Thufir Hawat (spelled Hawatt in the script, presskit and storyboards) dump the bodies before the Minor and Major Houses, and uncover the other cargo of the vehicle - a pile of blue Spice.

Leto announces that he has discovered that one of the Major Houses is smuggling spice, and promises to find which House is guilty. Leto then distributes the Spice among the Minor Houses - making him popular among them, but creating anger among the Major Houses. Count Fenring advises the Emperor that Leto could unite the Minor Houses and be a threat." ?

duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowskys-dune-uncovered/5

HAHAHAHAH oh wow that jodo is suck a maniac

"In a flashback scene (within the "History of Humanity" flashback itself!) Jessica remembers being brought to Castle Caladan by the Reverend Mother as a gift to Leto from the Emperor.

In the Moebius storyboards Leto removes, using his sword, just Jessica's hat and the veil covering her face. In the script, however, Leto removes all of Jessica's clothing!

It is love at first sight between Leto and Jessica, but Leto brings his sword down, with force, towards Jessica, stopping just short of her neck."

spot the Argentinian.

wanting a movie that was already done
>alien planet with a precious mineral and people came to this planet in order to exploit them
>inhabitant are blue o have blue eyes
>people on this planet live in harmony with nature
>the chosen one came is not from the planet, and in order to became the leader he has to ride the biggest beast.
>etc
>etc

In Métal Hurlant #107 there is an article titled "Dune le film que vous ne verrez jamais" (Dune: The film you will never see) in which Jodorowsky describes these scenes:

"In film, the Duke Leto (father of Paul) would be a man castrated in a ritual combat in the arenas during a bullfight (emblem of the Atreides house being a crowned bull...) Jessica - nun of the Bene Gesserit -, sent as concubine at the Duke to create a girl which would be the mother of a Messiah, becomes so in love with Leto that she decides to jump a chain link and to create a son, Kwisatz Haderach, the saviour. By using her capacities of Bene Gesserit - once that the Duke, insanely in love with her, entrusts her with his sad secret - Jessica is inseminated by a drop of blood of this sterile man...

"The camera followed (in script) the red drop through the ovaries of the woman and sees its meeting with the ovule where, by a miraculous explosion, it fertilises it. Paul had been born from a virgin; and not of the sperm of his father but of his blood..."

Jodorowsky also used this concept in his comicbook "Metabarons"

Beyond the first novel, it's not good enough for tv imo. Whole plotlines would need to be replaced.

The entire Duncan Idaho plotline was just absolutely weird as fuck. Young Leto's "Golden Path" ramblings could never translate into television. The whole Tlexiau face changer and Ixians threats would need to be more clearly explained.

Dune - Behind the Scenes
Buy Jodorowsky's Dune on Blu-ray.
Jodorowsky's Dune Uncovered

Jodorowsky's Dune.
Scenes 47-49 : Rabban's Wrath

Having been ordered to leave Dune, Rabban is drunk with anger, and his Harkonnen army are massacring men, women and children in Arrakeen.

Rabban sees the Guild ship carrying the Atreides approaching and spits and swears at it.

At the Palace beggars look longingly through the fence at the fountain and palm grove. Rabban and his soldiers suddenly appear and blow up the fountain killing several bystanders.

Rabban grabs an old man and asks him how much water the 20 palm trees need - enough water for 100 men every day.

Rabban then has the old man and other survivors bound against the trees before they are set alight.

Entering the Palace Rabban orders every servant killed, Rabban himself slaughtering children with glee.

Finally Rabban orders ever Harkonnen soldier into the hall, and once it is full they are commanded to defecate!

of course. can't have a jodo film without someone taking a shit on screen.

The documentary showed us what he would've done with the movie. It's not that great desu,

Kurosawa would have been perfect, if he adapted the first book and only the first book in 1970.

Pizzolatto is a fraud, how dare he's stealing from based Ligotti?

Depp as Harkonnen and I'd get behind it.

dune wont work as a film
An anime is the only way to do it right

is it an aspect of Chilean culture that it's okay to make films of people taking a shit?

I like Wheel of Time but even Ill admit that its schlock of the highest order, people are going to be expecting a gritty Game of Thrones alternative and its just not that, its goofy in alot of ways and thats why its good, but thats not what people are going to be expecting and what its going to try and be made as and thats why it will fail.

>There's no one creative enough today to adapt it [Dune].
HAHAHAHA. way to throw the entire film and television industry under the bus in one fell swoop. what a dunce.