Checkmate, physicists

Checkmate, physicists.

it can't turn at the speed of light
and the gears would break before either even got close

What if they are made of diamond?

nothing
it would lack all mass and therefore would lack the necessary force to push said gear.

Then wheel two moves faster then the speed of light, since it movrs faster then wheel one.

what about vibranium

not even if it was made by your mom's crystalized tears when i fucked her last night would it survive the friction

as long as the gears are made out case hardened diamond it shouldn't be a problem

This

They would both explode.

This is obviously bate, but for those who don't know, the gears will move at the same speed, just since one is smaller the teeth have less distance to travel, so it's teeth will make a full rotation faster, but the teeth will have the same speed as the bigger gear's teeth

Friction doesn't allow. The small gear could turn that fast, but the big one won't be able to.

Tears are the best lube, aren't they?

>therez a way!

Only if the hardened diamond is made out of other, slightly harder hardened diamond.

1: Nothing can travel at the speed of light. Only light has that capability.
2: It gear 1 was turning near the speed of light, it would either break the other gear(if it instantly accelerated to that speed) or they would bot melt due to friction with the particles in the air (if it gradually accelerated to that speed).

Super simple

>full rotation faster
>same speed
pick one

no matter with mass can travel at the speed of light

If gear 1 turns at any appreciable fraction of the speed of light, let's say 0.1c, both gear will stop being gear and star being hot plasma and gamma rays

What would happen if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90% the speed of light?

Let’s set aside the question of how we got the baseball moving that fast. We'll suppose it's a normal pitch, except in the instant the pitcher releases the ball, it magically accelerates to 0.9c. From that point onward, everything proceeds according to normal physics.

The answer turns out to be “a lot of things”, and they all happen very quickly, and it doesn’t end well for the batter (or the pitcher). I sat down with some physics books, a Nolan Ryan action figure, and a bunch of videotapes of nuclear tests and tried to sort it all out. What follows is my best guess at a nanosecond-by-nanosecond portrait:

The ball is going so fast that everything else is practically stationary. Even the molecules in the air are stationary. Air molecules vibrate back and forth at a few hundred miles per hour, but the ball is moving through them at 600 million miles per hour. This means that as far as the ball is concerned, they’re just hanging there, frozen.

The ideas of aerodynamics don’t apply here. Normally, air would flow around anything moving through it. But the air molecules in front of this ball don’t have time to be jostled out of the way. The ball smacks into them so hard that the atoms in the air molecules actually fuse with the atoms in the ball’s surface. Each collision releases a burst of gamma rays and scattered particles.

These gamma rays and debris expand outward in a bubble centered on the pitcher’s mound. They start to tear apart the molecules in the air, ripping the electrons from the nuclei and turning the air in the stadium into an expanding bubble of incandescent plasma. The wall of this bubble approaches the batter at about the speed of light—only slightly ahead of the ball itself.

Stopped at "bate"

Okay, even with ideal, completely indestructible gears, even gear two only *rotates* faster. The actual velocity of the perimeter of both gears would be the same.

diamond is the hardest metal

What if the gears are made of light?

The constant fusion at the front of the ball pushes back on it, slowing it down, as if the ball were a rocket flying tail-first while firing its engines. Unfortunately, the ball is going so fast that even the tremendous force from this ongoing thermonuclear explosion barely slows it down at all. It does, however, start to eat away at the surface, blasting tiny particulate fragments of the ball in all directions. These fragments are going so fast that when they hit air molecules, they trigger two or three more rounds of fusion.

After about 70 nanoseconds the ball arrives at home plate. The batter hasn't even seen the pitcher let go of the ball, since the light carrying that information arrives at about the same time the ball does. Collisions with the air have eaten the ball away almost completely, and it is now a bullet-shaped cloud of expanding plasma (mainly carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, and nitrogen) ramming into the air and triggering more fusion as it goes. The shell of x-rays hits the batter first, and a handful of nanoseconds later the debris cloud hits.

When it reaches the batter, the center of the cloud is still moving at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light. It hits the bat first, but then the batter, plate, and catcher are all scooped up and carried backward through the backstop as they disintegrate. The shell of x-rays and superheated plasma expands outward and upward, swallowing the backstop, both teams, the stands, and the surrounding neighborhood—all in the first microsecond.

Suppose you’re watching from a hilltop outside the city. The first thing you see is a blinding light, far outshining the sun. This gradually fades over the course of a few seconds, and a growing fireball rises into a mushroom cloud. Then, with a great roar, the blast wave arrives, tearing up trees and shredding houses.

Everything within roughly a mile of the park is leveled, and a firestorm engulfs the surrounding city.

Oh God that made me so hawt

just realized how easy it is to find gear roatation ratios. wtf.

That's an engineering problem or, at best, applied physics. Theoretical physics asks questions from "first principle" where these secondary issues have no bearing.

For instance, when deriving the permeability of free space, one must presume the terminus of an electromagnetic field is at infinity with no interruption anywhere.

Tons of stuff can move faster then the speed of light

you just have to use the proper oil and additives. if you are going to be using a motor with rpm greater than 1795, please contact our engineering department for proper lubrication selection

we get it you read xkcd

well they wouldn't be gears would they?

this

If a fuckton is a ton then 500?

are you 12?

>metal
Typical americans

So what you're saying is that theoretical physicists get paid to jerk off?

Why not?

Theoretically it would gain infinate mass and probably melt due to friction long before it got close...

Not same guy but if the larger gear has a bigger circumference then obviously it makes a full rotation slower. Gears are linked though and moving together at the same speed.

"diamond is the hardest metal"
really don't care if bait, i have given up on this species

yeah, you are right tons of pic related

>>metal
>Typical americans
Typical newfags

it was joke diamonds even though they are hard they are brittle it would break easly

Get out of here and come back when you know how to do special relativity in a rotating frame.

it's an old meme you fucking newfag holy fuck

Gravitons move at the speed of light.

what if the batter throws with his least-dominant arm

there would be an unbelievable amount of friction.

I'll have you know that I was educated at Eton.

It's a meme you dip

what if it's raining outside and you can't play baseball

you're gonna have to give that high speed shaft at least 3 thou float

melts everything

Cold fusion.

Dymond is like the 3nd hardest medle at best.

Here newfag

yes they would
they would be gears made of light goddammit

true i'm pretty sure it was recently discovered that talc is actually the hardest metal

eesh user so close
the correct answer is 499

As soon as gear 2 hits the SOL gear 1 ceases to go any faster as nothing exceeds the SOL.

Fucking Christ I was scrolling through this thread and it took Sup Forums this long to mention this. Thanks for finally bringing in a real answer.

how many dicks, not how many bags

Rotations per second != Speed

can we just froze some light and then make gears from it. reeeely easy

tal really isnt that metal

shut up you homo

What if I had a solid stick that was exactly 1 light year in length. I stood at one end and you stood at the other. I nudge the stick and you instantly feel it. My kinetic energy has travelled faster than the speed of light.

i'm pretty sure the freezing point of light is -100 below absolute zero you'd need like a million refrigerators
also nice dubbs

Top Kek.

Interesting fact, diamonds are actually a really good thermal conductor. Some very high end heatsinks are made out of diamond, and they are making their way into general high performance computing applications.

I fucking said bait
how do you think that meme started out
you fucking homo

im a physicist and i had to puke on some comments here

it would work but the stick would have to be made of diamond, there isnt enough carbon in the universe to make a diamond that long

Do you mean Ehrenfest paradox?

In this example, the edges of both gears are moving at the same (linear) speed. So the second gear would also be moving at the speed of light.
If you construct something where one of the gears would be moving faster, I think it would gain mass as it reaches the speed of light, preventing you from accelerating it anymore

>diamond is the hardest metal

if we're talking bullshit, then the smaller gear just spins at 5c

get in line behind the materials engineers...

vibration moves at the speed of sound.

Theoretical physicists havd some of the bluest of so-called blue sky research, yes, but just because their postulations do not immediate or apparent real-world application does not mean they're jerking off. Case & Point: In the early 19th century John Dalton speculates that matter is composed of atoms of different weight laying the foundation for atomic theory; in 1945, Robrt Oppenheimer split the atom with the dropping of the world's first atom bomb.

underrated post.

Also, checked.

Say the gears do spin at the speed of light and make of some tough material. You'll need to lubricate the gears. So give the gears lube. But the gears are spinning so fast, they just spin off the lube. Still the gears spin and reaching an incredible speed. The lube doesn't even touch the gears anymore cause the teeth just fans it away. Now the gears are getting extremely hot. It hasn't even got to light speed yet. Glowing red with no lube, the material expands by a tiny nanometer and begin grind itself into oblivion because they no longer fit into each other. The gears ultimately break. And therefore OP is faggot.

Are you triggered?

mildly.

dude i read an article on buzzfeed where a diamond conducted 10,000 thermals in like a second

If the teeth at the outside of gear would move fastest. If gear 1 were moving at the speed of light, the teeth of the second gear would move at the same speed, however the gears would explode before getting close...also dimond is the hardest metal.

>Glowing red with no lube
Been there.

that's over 9000

is that make of diamond too?

the gear cleavage moving at the speed of light would mean BOTH sides are moving at a tangential speed of light

even though gear two would have faster rotation, neither would be surpassing the speed of light

the red is the lube in that case....

>just like your mom didn't survive the friction

I read that same article, and I thought it was 10,000 iron per miles.

Going to need sauce

ah fuck i forgot that the laws of thermodynamics say that only 9000 thermals can exist in the universe at one time

Are you a science?

sauce
www.google.com

I remember those days, so many new faggots will not

Classical mechanics does not work in high speeds. Matter becomes energy and time stops. Memes transcends our cosmos.