Yo Sup Forums just wondering if there any skaters who could help a beginner...

Yo Sup Forums just wondering if there any skaters who could help a beginner? Some dude said I should get a penny board to start off, but I don't think it really matters does it, but if so what board should I get?

Other urls found in this thread:

zumiez.com/san-clemente-shark-racer-41-25-quot-drop-down-longboard-complete.html
neversummer.com/longboards/
twobarefeet.co.uk/skate/skateboards/double-kick-skateboards/two-bare-feet-double-kick-skateboard-design-725-tbfbc-black.html
youtube.com/watch?v=o-iiW6z1Fmc
youtube.com/watch?v=UMoVKW-Yhjw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends on your needs. Left is for tricks, center is for cruising long distances, right is more suited for smaller distances like around town on sidewalks and such

I'm mainly thinking of short distance around my town, i think the furthest I'll probably go on it is like an hours walk away?

You will fall and it will hurt like hell. I don't give a fuck how though or balanced you think you are. Learn to love the pain because it's the only thing that will walk down this path with you

Longboard

You'd probably be interested in the long board even if it's only small distances. Overall it's a smoother ride and the bigger wheels will stop you from getting tripped up as much. Start on flat areas until you get your balance. Carving is very important for reducing speeds

As I own ever type board skate long ect. I would recommend a regular board as its the cheapest option aka the left one.

Well, you scared me a little bit.

get a regular setup longboards and penny boards are for faggots

never get a penny board first.

yeah a lot of people said that to me

are they harder to skate?

this, also scatboard on left is best. good for small towns and fucking around if that's what you're interested in OP

Okay what type of skating do you plan on doing?
I say go get a regular deck so you can have fun doing tricks on stuff like ledges and rails and you can still cruise around on it depending on the type of bearings you get. Get Bronson G2 bearings for it they are pretty fast and affordable.

get a regular setup for best results

Hey OP here are some pointers for you
>penny boards are for fags
>longboards are for getting to places quickly
>skate boards are for getting to places not super quickly (faster than walking) but are more manueverable ie jumping over cracks/holes/rocks in the street, but if you have mostly smooth streets get a longboard if you arent trying to show off with tricks here is the link to the first long board i ever bough and the only one i use
zumiez.com/san-clemente-shark-racer-41-25-quot-drop-down-longboard-complete.html

What I'm mainly getting from this post so far is get a normal board, what make sense

ty for pointers and to the rest of you, my streets are pretty fucking shit tbh, my little English downs pavement is pretty eh.

stfu faggot anyone can fucking longboard

neversummer.com/longboards/

Get board.
Stand on it.
Propel self with foot.
Pretend you don't look like a dick who has no car.

So... OP... Who's the girl you're trying to impress? Any nudes to dump?

actually my gf fucking hates the idea "you'll look unattractive as fuck" in her own words

if you're looking for a small-ish, longboard-like setup, I'd avoid penny boards. They're shit quality. spend a little more, and get something that'll last. I recommend Santa Cruz boards; they produce a whole line of Cruisers that are exactly the same size and configuration as penny boards, only made with better materials

literally why i'm buying it

dumb that stupid bitch (unless you're 30 of course)

no matter what you buy, just don't be a faggot and go to Zumiez or some shit like that. go out and support your local independent skate shop.

what type of skating are u wanting to do tricks,cruzing or downhill

so what? lol
do whatever the fuck makes you happy.

twenty, doing stuff i was to much of a pussy to do in my teens!

Because I do all 3

Cruzing mainly

what i'm doing bro xD she's ended up liking the other shit i do she thought she'd hate ike boxing

Penny boards are for hipster faggots who wanna look edgy. Longboards for big fucking hills. Standard board are for tricks and shit. The only advantage i see in a penny board is it gets you used to balancing on a small object but its not really needed.

i don't intend too bro

Hold on ill post a pic of some of my cruisers

OP here, a mate linked me this twobarefeet.co.uk/skate/skateboards/double-kick-skateboards/two-bare-feet-double-kick-skateboard-design-725-tbfbc-black.html

Seems really cheap in comparison to others I've seen

the center is a longboard, you take those downhill.

yep

These are some of mine

beautiful user

Englandfag here. I can agree the streets are pretty shitty. I have a longboard and very limited to where I can skate. Commuting around can be troublesome especially when going downhills as you can't really control your speed with the narrow roads and pavements (carving or sliding to stop). But the reason I got it isn't for commuting. I usually go to a park with hills just for "thrill" of going downhill and sliding.
The point is, it depends what you wanna do.
just dont get a penny board. you'll regret it when you try someone elses board

get a longboard they are fun to cruise on

Bruh just buy a pintail if you want to cruise, skateboard if you want to do tricks, or a penny board if they look cool to you.

I wasted 10yrs of my life skating and regretted it

i suggest getting a regular board and maybe cruiser wheels if you have rough streets. even if you don't do tricks, an ollie might be useful and that's hard to do on penny boards
youtube.com/watch?v=o-iiW6z1Fmc

if you have anytig above a size 10 shoe size you cant ride a normal size penny (right)

Hurrah fellow Englandfag

I have a few skate-parks around my area (Matlock and shit) what are pretty good but the one near my house is total garbage and skaters around here pretty much avoid it tbh
The main reason I'm doing it really is to just chill and get out really

Never buy a cheap board like that, its gonna be awfull in quallity, i can tell you those wheels will get stuck on every pebble, the bearings wont be as good and once you ollie the board surely will snap on you

penny boards are fucked dude if you just wana cruise around long boards are a good bet

whelp fuck no penny board then

yeah look at regular boards as we speak,

how has no one recommended a zip zinger yet? penny boards were basically modeled after these. they're the perfect cruiser deck. people have been using these to film other skateboarders for years. cruise like a longboard with the mobility of a regular board. make sure you get kinda big wheels too. oh plus they're made by krooked who make some of the best boards out there.

you really want a longboard with big wheels so you don't fall on your ass over every crack and have your ankles hurting in 10 minutes.

Just never get a penny board.
At all.

This.
Truck and board aren't really important for a new, (venture even used+ cheap no name skate shop board are fine ) But bearings and wheel are important.

From experience, I have been skating since teenage (10ish years) off and on, and from my experience, longboarding has been the most smoothest and stable form of skating. I rode a 70s penny style from 16 to 19,then got a longboard and have stuck with that ever since. I do have my original still and also an 8.5 popsicle deck too. I am not that good with the pop stick and find my 70s deck a tad small so Longboard wins for me.

In terms of beginning, stability is key. Longboards are more stable at speed, I would say start with that. If you find a longboard is too cumbersome to ride at first, you might want to think about getting a pocket rocket from Arbor. That is a good in between for all 3. You get longboard feel, with penny board size and regular skateboard width so it's a pretty good settle for if you don't want to go so long.

Hello, it depends on what you're into. Pool/Street boards are cool because they're light and small with smaller trucks and smaller wheel bases than longboards but bigger than pennies. I have a friend that has a street board and he likes riding in parks with it and on smooth surfaces because the small wheels (54mm) dont track over rough roads very well and he ends up walking a lot of the time.

Longboards come in all shapes and sizes and personally I would recommend one to anyone. There is plent of activities you can perform on a longboard such as freeride, crusing, freestyle, downhill, slalom and street skating. My preferred style is freeride this consists of sliding and small street like tricks like 180's. Longboards have wide trucks but instead of a standard king pin the trucks are Reverse King Pin allowing the truck to be more carvy "turny" and more stable are higher speeds.

Penny boards are plastic "cruiser" boards. The board is flexy and very durable. The penny boards trucks are very small 3 inches across with a very small wheelbase making them inherently less stable at high speeds. I have a friend that has a penny and he enjoy every minute of it, I personally find it too sketchy to bomb hills or slide on. There is many longboards similar to penny boards such as the landyachtz Ruby Lake.

My personal set up for freeride longboarding is a Madrid nessie on Caliber ten inch trucks with 65mm sector 9 butterballs.

Hope this helps!

You won't really know what you want to do until you try it. You have to try both longboards AND skateboards to know what you want.

When I first got into it (about 6 years ago) I got hold of a No Fear board that you can buy at Sports Direct. I didn't buy it, it was given to me because of irrelevant reasons.
I met up with some friends who rides skateboards and I realised how bad my board was.

>Lesson: Don't buy "ready made boards" from commercial shops like Argos, Sports Direct etc. They are shit and dangerous if anything.

Ended up going to a skateshop and seller pursuaded me to get a Hybrid board. Its longer than a skateboard, but shorter than a longboard.

Blah blah blah, I went to a big park and saw some longboarders. Tried their boards fell in love with longboards.

Now I longboard.

What I learnt is, you have to constantly try people's boards to see what you like. The board, the wheels, the trucks, loose or tight etc. Try try try.

I'm waffling because it's 3:30am...

>footbraking

you can ride it

Get a longboard, if you have a hundred bucks to spend I'd recommend getting an arbor Pintail board, they are great for cruising, really smooth and good carvers. I learned in about a month and I could take some pretty serious hills. Fell twice but just because I wasn't paying attention while going to class

I honestly think longboards look ridiculous and are way too big I'd much rather cruise on a skateboard and you get to be learn all sorts of new tricks if you put enough time into it

I don't know how skaters and "cruise" on a skateboard. My feet go numb as fuck.

I do it all the time its not the most fun thing in the world but its faster than walking and it's all I have

My friends have penny boards, but I'm 6'3'' and can't ride them that well, but I'm also not looking to do tricks and stuffs, so I got a nickel board, which is just a bigger penny. Great for cruisin

What's wrong with penny boards?

Put bigger wheels and risers on a skateboard and you can cruise like a longboard

Penny boards are fucking gay and anyone who isn't some clueless random will think you're a faggot

Smaller longboat are the way to go. Check out anything by bustin boards. Theyre out of NYC and since theyre in the city they make some small boards that are prime for cruising the cities. I have a maestro. Mines a fiber glass one so it's a bit lighter. I recommend some gull wing sidewinders for your trucks. They greatly improve your turn radius if you're board doesn't have or has a really small kicker.
Also, you can do tricks on a long board, it's just harder.

When I lived in Santa Monica, longboards were for transportation and skateboards for fun.

There is no need for a longboard unless you live at a place with plenty of hills you can use for rolling.

Get a skateboard if you're in a relatively flat area. There are so many things you can do with them. You have standard fixed trucks, suspension trucks, hard wheels, soft wheels, medium wheels, different wheel sizes, different board widths for your feet size, many different bearings, and you can buy the pieces you want and put them together.

For a place with bad sidewalks and streets, get suspension trucks with larger soft wheels and some bearings between abec 5 and 7. Over 8 are much easier to stop when you hit a crack or gravel.

If you have pristine streets and plenty of riding space for street skating, go with a lightweight board that barely fits your feet(size 9-10.5=7.75" size 11-12=8" size 12.5+=8.25"), some trucks the right size for the board, so 7.75" board to trucks that are lightweight(think alloy, like all Silver trucks and Thunder trucks), abec 9 bearings are great, and smaller hard wheels.

If you're going vert, you need a board you can stay planted to, so step the board size up a bit as well as the trucks. Same setup as street but with a bigger board and softer medium sized wheels.

Landyachtz and sector9 are great aswell

Larger wheels = easier rolling

>caring what people think
They're more convenient than a big ass longboard, and they're better for cruising than a skateboard. I don't see the issue.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyah

Longboard or penny depending on your balance. If you get a regular board for cruising you are going to be walking a lot. It's teens the ones saying "longboard and penny are for retards" when in reality just the fact that you are on a skateboard makes you look like a retard to people who don't skate, regardless of what you are skating on

>Larger wheels = easier rolling

Everyone knows that. That's why I stated that that setup is for places with bad sidewalks and streets. Larger wheels are easier to roll on, and it's harder for a rock or other obstacle to stop.

>For a place with bad sidewalks and streets, get suspension trucks with larger soft wheels and some bearings between abec 5 and 7. Over 8 are much easier to stop when you hit a crack or gravel.

Larger wheels are not so good for street skating though(doing tricks), because the added mass makes it a bit harder to rotate and pop compared to smaller wheels. They also move your center of gravity up, and it's easier to fall when you land on larger wheels.

Bomb squads are nice, landyachtz are also, really depends what your trying to do, cruise? downhill?

I personally like downhill, sliding is fun, also hitting up big parking garages at night it wayyyy fun also.

summing it up

if youre going to get a longboard one one that is on the smaller side cause its easier to maneuver through citys an such

same guy here ,
Longboards certainly not only for cruising LMAO

This is what i do, have not had the oppurtinity to go as fast as some of these pros but you get the idea

youtube.com/watch?v=UMoVKW-Yhjw

Land yachtz are way to big for cityscape unless the streets are pristine. Most of them have a very low center of gravity so they're best for bombing a hill. Sector9s are ok they're just your basic boards. I still prefer my bustin. They're special shaped to give your feet better grip when you carve.

>Landyacht Ruby Lake
Pretty small board

>Sector 9 Joel Pro

Though longboards have lower rolling resistance due to their larger harder wheels, they tend to be heavier and when you hit a populated area that you don't have room to ride in, you have to carry them. Also uphill. It's a bitch.

Just build a skateboard for the same purpose as a longboard and you will save in weight, size, and money.

Standard size deck+suspension trucks+56mm+ wheels+abec 9 bearings = shorter, lighter, cheaper longboard. It also looks much cooler than a longboard as well, and you will get maaaad cred for it to those who know.

Or you could do longboard trucks and wheels on a standard skateboard with some risers. That also works, but you'll need to clearance the wheels.

all good man, thanks :)

>and they're better for cruising than a skateboard

And thats where you're wrong

If you aren't downhill racing, real board or fuck off OP. Get far left.

I set mine up for higher speed stuff and commuting along with the basic tricks I can actually do. I like old-school decks myself (ex snowboarder, they feel better carving and at speed so I generally ride a 9.5 x 31.5 with 1/4th risers and 65mm 80a wheels. You can haul ass on the worst roads on a board like that and still do some solid fucking tricks when you find a nice spot or skatepark.

This thread is making me miss skating. Currently snapped both my favorite deck and my leg last week so I'm off for at least another month, and its pissing me off.

>bunch of fucking longboarders

am i the skateboarder in this thread? congrats on shitposting the biggest circle jerk of the evening

I'm not sure I'd consider the ruby lake a long board.

How?

Is OP still here?

Arbor Mission Board with Gullwing Sidewinder II trucks. Trust me, this is the best all around board. You have to put a riser on it, so it makes it a bit high. But when you take a stride, you duck down a bit more and it makes you naturally more aerodynamic.

I've ridden penny boards before they're annoying as fuck because the size and you could get a much better cruiser board if you choose the right wheels and bearings like other itt have mentioned

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this. Longboards honestly have some positives but I just fucking hate the size if you really want to cruise get some bigger softer wheels

its landy

Tried all 3 of those, then started bmx. Bmx is a lot more fun

You forgot to mention the cheap build quality of Penny boards.

The deck does not have a natural flex like wood does, so they bend around stress points at the tail, nose, and around the trucks. The trucks are mass produced chinese crap, the trucks warp out of shape after a few weeks of street riding and dropping off of curbs. The bearings are shit, they roll for a while but any moisture will cause them to corrode after about a month of regular use. The wheels aren't terrible, but they aren't big enough for your average sized gravel patch, and too slippery to maintain grip over oil slick and sealed concrete.

Since the deck is smaller, your feet won't fit as well. Also, since the deck is smaller, you will find yourself pushing a LOT.

Deck size does not have anything to do with needing to push more. That has to do with the rolling resistance of the wheels and the bearings, as well as the weight of the whole setup.