To everyone who refuses to learn music theory for fear of it "getting in the way of their creativity"...

To everyone who refuses to learn music theory for fear of it "getting in the way of their creativity", how do you expect to be able to break the rules if you do not know the rules?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/szJq1lwnkNw?t=15m35s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

by accident duh

Explain the proper resolution of a German sixth chord.

1080p

OP is a pleb. You dont break the rules if there are no rules.

That gave me a good laff

>doesn't want to learn music theory
>still tunes their instruments

>doesn't want to learn music theory
>only plays in 4/4 because "it just sounds right"

Theory only stifles creativity if you had none to begin with, try to learn it to improve, but only find confusion.

>this
People should also use 3/4 and 6/8 more.

People do the same with songwriting. So many jump into "experimental" music without learning how to write a song in the first place. How can you experiment without some sort of basis to experiment off of? The result is shit music.

see

Not true

The only people who are able to do this are literal artistic geniuses

Screw that, people should play in 9/8 more.
youtu.be/szJq1lwnkNw?t=15m35s

Do I need to learn music theory to compose prog?
My biggest dream is to revive progressive rock (and, by extension, rock in general), but I literally cannot come up with an original tune in my head.

I guess I don't want to break the rules, i just want to have fun making my little bleep bloops. learning theory isn't fun, making bleep bloops is.

so........... Grimes?

basically a dom7 a half step above the actual dominant of the key. then you have to do a 6/4-5/3 cadence with one bc voice leading. but you can just do that shit raw dog if you want and go straight to regular five and add a bunch of extensions to the five so thats unrecognizable underneath your hell fury

7/8 is objectively the best time signature. It sounds incomplete but way better than the way 3/4 does.

It depends what your goals are, for me I explore sound and movement, energy and light at my own pleasure. I don't want to write symphonies, or even pop songs I simply want to utilize technology to create auditory sequences. Now I can in the future learn musical theory if I want to create traditional music, but I'm happy doing things the wrong way

I've spent the last couple years of my life obsessed with music theory and i'm honestly really envious of you because so much of the music i love is made that way and a lot of it feels so beyond me. i do like try to emulate those feelings sometimes with more music-y things if that makes sense but it's been a long term goal of mine for the last year or so to start understanding sound, and production more than I do. more power to you man if you can work like that i mean there is infinite potential and growth there theory doesn't really mean anything at the end of the day.

plus besides harmony, other musical elements like rhythm and timbre and even melody i think are often explored tons by musicians who don't know theory and stuff

Your second sentence contradicts your first

kek