Hey I just made this...

Hey I just made this. Turns out that current times are one of the most diverse periods of time in regards to diversity of musical genres. Dadrockers and electronic friends alike -- rejoice

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_2016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Look at that. It's clearly there. Did you keep the base data? Could we have it in actual sales please? Also we know streaming and views is corrupt data op.

>Turns out that current times are one of the most diverse periods of time in regards to diversity of musical genres.

yeah, we've got vaporwave, vaporwave and more vaporwave bro! sweet!

The data is just the year-end Billboard Hot 100 for each year from Wikipedia, and I paired the songs with their genres using Discogs API

Well it's contentious and your labels are crap

Thnx

What's wrong with the labels?

There's no Jazz, hardly any folk/country, funk/soul or rock and music is dominated by 3 genres in 2016. I would hardly call that diverse. Around 1997 has a good amount of 5 genres.

Also where is RnB, traditional or modern? Is it someplace between funk and pop? Makes the methodology of the whole chart suspect if you leave a major genre out because you can't classify it.

Is it downloads or streams or some bloke saying stuff?

>There's no Jazz
RIP

>Also where is RnB, traditional or modern?
Only the most popular genres were kept so Blues, Classical, and others were removed cause they had a very small representation and they'd overcrowd the graph.

I used the genres from Discogs, so if they classified some contemporary RnB as Pop, then that's what the graph also did

Says in the chart title mate, it's Billboard hot 100. I thought this is somewhat representative of popular radio music.

This is Billboard Hot 100 for 2016 for reference: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_2016

These were the initial genres before filtering out the less popular ones

Also tbf there seems to be more Folk/Country in 2010s than in any other time

early/mid 90s looks way more diverse, don't you think?

Less folk, but a bit of jazz and not so much pop. Fair point.

>Jazz and rock got cucked out of existence
>diverse

>dead genres
times are changing, old man

Rock is fine. It was just overrepresented in the past and it backfired a bit

Does this mean the memerap fan is coming to an end?

And is being replaced by Pop's growth? I guess I'd take Bieber over Drake

Why is diversity in the top billboard songs a good thing?

Cause it means the average person is exposed to a more variety of sounds, no? It'd suck if it was only one genre, the radio is training an army of eclectic music heads

k

>I guess I'd take [worst pop singer I can think of] over [my favorite memenigger]
Clever!

I just took some names from here bro

You seem to be missing the fact that the electronic, hip hop, funk/soul and rock etc that hits the mainstream is basically just pop music though.

>implying pop is a genre
>implying that chart shouldn't be all painted light blue

Pop , most of these 'rock' bands are Pop.

Well the difference is not as stark as for the less representative artists from the genre, but there's still some aesthetic differences between Adele and Eminem, and the genre label can catch some of this signal

There's the distinction of Pop / Art / World music where everything in the chart is pop, and the lower-level distinction where Pop music is split into the ones in the chart, and another "Pop" genre exists

>world music
kill yourself

A lot of them are pop rock (e.g. Fall Out Boy) so they bring the count up for both pop and rock

>the less representative
I mean the less popular (and more representative)

But why